PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air SOFTWARE REINSTALL DRIVE

GTghost
Feb 17, 2011, 02:11 AM
My friend gave me his MBA usb drive and I was wondering if there is a way to reformat it so i can use it as a storage flash drive. He said he knows someone who's done it before but he went to China.

GTghost
Feb 17, 2011, 02:29 AM
NVM i got
http://bbs.weiphone.com/read-htm-tid...64-page-1.html

MacRumorUser
Feb 17, 2011, 03:30 AM
How big a storage flash drive does it become then? Wondering as link does not work ;)

GDC15
Feb 17, 2011, 08:20 AM
It should be fairly easy, just open disk utility (Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility) You have to plug in the stick and then select it, choose erase and check its FAT32 not OS X otherwise you'll change it to another mac HD rather than a storage device. Then click ok, this should work ok but check on youtube for guides etc.

oakie
Feb 17, 2011, 08:09 PM
How big a storage flash drive does it become then? Wondering as link does not work ;)

it's an 8GB drive.

halledise
Feb 17, 2011, 08:39 PM
My friend gave me his MBA usb drive and I was wondering if there is a way to reformat it so i can use it as a storage flash drive. He said he knows someone who's done it before but he went to China.

why would you want to bother? :confused:

MacRumorUser
Feb 18, 2011, 03:07 AM
why would you want to bother? :confused:

Because they don't need the software and want an apple branded usb stick....

teleromeo
Feb 18, 2011, 03:57 AM
It's a strange idea to get rid of your installation drive. What will he do when his MBA fails and he needs that drive ?

MacRumorUser
Feb 18, 2011, 04:25 AM
It's a strange idea to get rid of your installation drive. What will he do when his MBA fails and he needs that drive ?

Use remote disc...

Also the OP doesn't have a macbook air so it's of little concern to him ;)