PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Grand Central Terminal Retail Store to Be Largest Yet?

MacRumors
Feb 17, 2011, 01:40 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/17/apples-grand-central-terminal-retail-store-to-be-largest-yet/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/02/08/120643-gct_concourse.jpg

Grand Central Terminal's Main Concourse
Last week, a pair of reports (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/08/apple-seeking-to-build-new-retail-store-in-manhattans-grand-central-terminal/) surfaced indicating that Apple is hoping to build a new retail store inside Manhattan's busy and historic Grand Central Terminal. Located less than a mile from the company's flagship Fifth Avenue store, the Grand Central Terminal location is reportedly being viewed as a means to ease the massive customer load on the landmark, but relatively small, Fifth Avenue store.

A new report (http://www.cultofmac.com/confirmed-apple-to-open-biggest-store-yet-in-grand-central-terminal/82433) issued today by Cult of Mac provides additional claims of an Apple retail store coming to Grand Central Terminal, but goes on to claim that the location would offer the company's biggest-yet retail sales floor, larger than those found in the company's Regent Street and Covent Garden stores in London.

While reports of the square footage for Apple's various locations have always been subject to significant variations, the Covent Garden location has been said to offer over 16,000 square feet of publicly-accessible space (with 40,000 square feet of total space including corporate offices) and Regent Square location is said to offer 25,000 square feet of retail space. Consequently, Apple's Grand Central Terminal store would appear to have to be in the range of 25,000 square feet to qualify as the company's largest, making it a significant presence inside the terminal.The store will open in the fall, likely early September - and it will be Apple's largest retail space in the world.

The store already has a name: Apple Store, Grand Central, according to a source close the company. The source said Apple will be making an internal announcement within the next month or so.

"The company will certainly pull out all the stops on this one," said the source, who asked not to be named.An early fall opening seems rather ambitious for what seems to be a massive project with historical implications and lease issues that do not appear to have been worked out yet, but the growing number of reports do suggest that Apple is looking at making a significant splash in the terminal.

Article Link: Apple's Grand Central Terminal Retail Store to Be Largest Yet? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/17/apples-grand-central-terminal-retail-store-to-be-largest-yet/)

WiiDSmoker
Feb 17, 2011, 01:42 PM
Sounds like a trip to NYC will be on my calendar soon! :D

Joe-Diver
Feb 17, 2011, 01:42 PM
Cool, can't wait to see it!

NebulaClash
Feb 17, 2011, 01:44 PM
And please understand that the picture you see above is NOT where the store would go. Grand Central is much larger than you see in the picture, with multiple levels and areas for stores.

newyorksole
Feb 17, 2011, 01:45 PM
Yes it's about time America, specifically Manhattan, gets a significant store like the Covent Garden and Regent Street stores.

Can't wait to visit!

Feb 17, 2011, 01:46 PM
good for Apple and NYC - I guess.

Snowcat001
Feb 17, 2011, 01:47 PM
Up next: Microsoft planning to open a new store in Grand Central Terminal.. :)

Tailpike1153
Feb 17, 2011, 01:47 PM
Most Impressive!. Certainly wonder if Gateway, Dell, Microsoft, Sony could pull off a more impressive location. A way they could one up Apple is by going to the top of CN Tower, Eiffel Tower... heck even Space Needle. There would be some much red tape and protest. Perhaps in Vegas. I would definitely take time to visit to the new store.

Feb 17, 2011, 01:48 PM
And please understand that the picture you see above is NOT where the store would go. Grand Central is much larger than you see in the picture, with multiple levels and areas for stores.

thanks for clarifying this ... almost thought this is a mock up of the new store :rolleyes:

lexusford
Feb 17, 2011, 01:50 PM
Cant wait to go back to NYC

louis Fashion
I do not like the name. Let's have a contest.

Grand Central Apple.
The Grand Apple Store.
The Big Apple at Grand Central Station.

ApexBoost
Awesome, can't wait to see the final result. :)

iPhoneCollector
Feb 17, 2011, 01:51 PM
thanks for clarifying this ... almost thought this is a mock up of the new store :rolleyes:

Those who don't live in the us don't know the size of those places.

NebulaClash
Feb 17, 2011, 01:53 PM

Well, yeah, that's why I made my comment because this photo keeps showing up on this story, and I can just see someone imagining a giant transparent cube being installed somewhere in the picture.

FriarNurgle
Feb 17, 2011, 01:54 PM
http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/4000/4097/grand-central_1_lg.gif

grapemac
Feb 17, 2011, 01:55 PM

Yup. 0815's post was unnecessarily rude.

WoFat
Feb 17, 2011, 01:57 PM
Anyone? Anyone?

guzhogi
Feb 17, 2011, 01:59 PM
Most Impressive!. Certainly wonder if Gateway, Dell, Microsoft, Sony could pull off a more impressive location. A way they could one up Apple is by going to the top of CN Tower, Eiffel Tower... heck even Space Needle. There would be some much red tape and protest. Perhaps in Vegas. I would definitely take time to visit to the new store.

Sorry, the Space Needle is being used by Dr. Evil's criminal empire.

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/4000/4097/grand-central_1_lg.gif

Cool picture, thanks!

Dr Kevorkian94
Feb 17, 2011, 02:01 PM
If you think about it, that style suits the classy fell of an apple store. i was just at the 5th ave store 3 days ago and its awesome. not to mention FAO swarts next door with the gigantic piano and awesome toys, but that was amazing. i live in staten island a short drive away but i never go and i had fun

NebulaClash
Feb 17, 2011, 02:01 PM
Anyone? Anyone?

Well, let's see, their first one opened in October 2009 in Scottsdale AZ. According to Microsoft's site, they are now up to eight stores total. Eight stores in 17 months, let's call it a new store every two months. They should catch up to Apple in about never.

Bk-Sebastian
Feb 17, 2011, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure if this report is accurate, GCT has approximately 150K of commercial real estate with in-place leases expiring through 2012. The rumor says the store would open in the fall which is far too soon. The work it would require to build-out the space for Apple would take 4-6 months alone let alone the buying out of existing tenants and the necessary approvals necessary to build in a historical building. I'd be surprised to see this opening in 2011.

If it does, would be great since I work across the street!

FriarNurgle
They should put the store in a subway train.

lostngone
Well I know where to go if I have and Grand Central Dispatch questions...

Full of Win
Feb 17, 2011, 02:10 PM
When I saw the headline, I thought - wow a story about Apples Grand Central CPU technology. Oh boy I thought to myself, a story about computers and the OS.

http://images.apple.com/macosx/technology/images/gcd_icon20090608.jpg

Alas.... its a story about Apple Consumer Electronics. :mad:

petalino
I wonder where will they put it?

The largest cavity is Vanderbilt Hall. It is permanently vacant, but being rented out for events.

The size is 12000 sq feet according to the GC website: http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/info/vanderbilthall.cfm

MSUSpartan
The only place that I can think of in GC that is large enough as described by the article is the massive and now mostly unused waiting area if you enter at 42nd and Park.

Kaibelf
I'm not sure if this report is accurate, GCT has approximately 150K of commercial real estate with in-place leases expiring through 2012. The rumor says the store would open in the fall which is far too soon. The work it would require to build-out the space for Apple would take 4-6 months alone let alone the buying out of existing tenants and the necessary approvals necessary to build in a historical building. I'd be surprised to see this opening in 2011.

As someone familiar with the market in that area, and the way these things operate, I can guarantee that Apple need do only three things to get this done:
1. Pay the right price for tenants to vacate their desired space.
2. Direct anyone with questions about the effect on the building to the numerous stories about the amazing store they opened in Paris.
3. Provide projected tax revenues from this massive store to the city.

Boom boom boom done. :cool:

EvilEvil
Feb 17, 2011, 02:12 PM
Awesome! I love living in NYC. Best city in the US.

GimmeSlack12
Feb 17, 2011, 02:13 PM
You forgot something!

shartypants
Feb 17, 2011, 02:15 PM
Would be awesome to see, and make me want to buy something there :)

walnuts
Feb 17, 2011, 02:19 PM
As someone familiar with the market in that area, and the way these things operate, I can guarantee that Apple need do only three things to get this done:
2. Direct anyone with questions about the effect on the building to the numerous stories about the amazing store they opened in Paris.

I've heard of a lot of powerful people/businesses be forced a while to get through red tape in NYC. Apple may want the fast timeline but I don't think all the money, will or power Apple can muster would get them in there before 2012.

FriarNurgle
Feb 17, 2011, 02:20 PM
You forgot something!

Well done. Still like the idea of them putting the store on an actual train.

ConnorTurnbull
Feb 17, 2011, 02:26 PM
September? Sweet! I'm going over there in December, wouldn't want to miss it.

Bk-Sebastian
Feb 17, 2011, 02:27 PM

Kaibelf; I work in the real estate industry and can say that although your three steps are accurate, it will not be ready in 2011. A project of this magnitude and the impact on the property itself would just have to go through the proper channels. So may be more like boom....boom.........boom.

firewood
Feb 17, 2011, 02:55 PM
Is there a Border Books in the terminal :) or other large retailer that isn't doing so well that they can just ignore a monster sized lease buyout offer?

gfmasters
Feb 17, 2011, 03:03 PM
I don't see this happening, not in the timeframe reported. Work is currently underway for a retail plaza below the existing levels (where the LIRR will eventually connect), but that work is far from complete (scheduled completion date is 2016). So, I can't understand where a 25,000 square-foot store is slated to be situated.

bigjnyc
Feb 17, 2011, 03:04 PM
My job is right above the grand central terminal, I walk through here every day and up right into my building from the terminal... I will spend a lot of time away from my desk if this store opens. :D

it will sure be handy for genius bar appointments.

RobNYC
Feb 17, 2011, 03:19 PM
It could be a while before the store goes in. Apple is going to have to deal with the Landmarks over any kind of changes they want to make.

3goldens
Feb 17, 2011, 03:24 PM
wonder where their going to put it!

balwx
Feb 17, 2011, 03:36 PM
I'm in GC every day, this would be sweet. The foot traffic is amazing.

vincenz
Feb 17, 2011, 04:03 PM
"The store already has a name: Apple Store, Grand Central, according to a source close the company."

You don't say...:rolleyes:

[DL]
Feb 17, 2011, 04:03 PM
Sounds... grand. :P

It's a shame that I don't live in NYC. The only Apple Store I can go to is in a mall. T_T

sk58781111
Feb 17, 2011, 04:09 PM
hubris.

sishaw
Feb 17, 2011, 04:13 PM
Now I keep seeing a big glass cube with an :apple: on it in the middle of the Grand Central lobby.

bigjnyc
Feb 17, 2011, 04:30 PM
It's amazing how they are able to generate so much income from such a small radius in one city. They've got the flagship on 59th and 5th... then a few blocks away the upper west side store on 67th and Broadway.... then you got the 2 downtown on 14th and in Soho. Yet everytime you go into one of these its always super busy..... The only one that I've ever walked into and its not busy is the 14th street store, but that might be because its all the way on the west side in 9th avenue.

ciTiger
Feb 17, 2011, 04:48 PM
And one more Apple Store... Wish I had ONE here in Portugal :(

Only retailers but no official store..

abhimat.gautam
Feb 17, 2011, 04:50 PM
The store already has a name: Apple Store, Grand Central, according to a source close the company.

I don’t think naming the store was too hard, considering how Apple typically names their stores after the neighborhood/area they are built in.

camelsnot
Feb 17, 2011, 06:33 PM
rather they pump more money into schools and infrastructure than wasting money on a grand design just so they can say "we did it". Waste of money.

Comeagain?
Feb 17, 2011, 06:40 PM
Of course, is it possible this has been going on for years and only we are just now learning about it?

kelving525
Feb 17, 2011, 07:18 PM
I honestly don't see why Manhattan needs a 5th Apple store when the others are easily accessible within subway distance. I understand if they open one in Brooklyn, but why Manhattan again?

huntermaclean
Feb 17, 2011, 08:20 PM
Up next: Microsoft planning to open a new store in Grand Central Terminal.. :)

Microsoft has their own stores??

AidenShaw
Feb 17, 2011, 08:46 PM
I honestly don't see why Manhattan needs a 5th Apple store when the others are easily accessible within subway distance. I understand if they open one in Brooklyn, but why Manhattan again?

The goal is to have more Apple stores than Starbucks outlets.

You shouldn't have to cross the street to buy your Apple, there should be Apple stores on each corner of major intersections.

</sarcasm>

camelsnot
Feb 18, 2011, 05:56 AM
The goal is to have more Apple stores than Starbucks outlets.

You shouldn't have to cross the street to buy your Apple, there should be Apple stores on each corner of major intersections.

</sarcasm>

*shudder* Starbucks.

They should use the HUGE chunk of change it'll cost to build a storefront there, and lease the space from the city, to put into cancer research for finding a cure. I mean, that's what Steve is apparently dealing with? Instead of showing how he can buy his way into a hospital and get transplants at the wave of a hand, show how much Apple is invested in finding a cure by providing grants for research and helping develop new research hardware/software for the cause. Apple-ego not apply.

MattInOz
Feb 18, 2011, 06:23 AM
I don’t think naming the store was too hard, considering how Apple typically names their stores after the neighborhood/area they are built in.

And to get a genius bar appointment you call grand central dispatch and ask for an NSOperation.

ohenry
Feb 18, 2011, 10:21 AM

I have a theory here about the location...above the main waiting room there is a massive 40k SQFT sapce that at one point were employee tennis courts, and in the 50s a TV studio. There was a recent article about how they were being renovated in a updated tennis complex for MTA employees, but I am sure for the right amount of money, or only a portion of the space Apple would be able to create a store. It would have a dediciated elevator bank, and entrance, similair to the 5th Ave store Cube.

Here are some links about the tennis courts:
http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/light-shines-on-grand-central-s-tennis-courts-1.1728030

http://mas.org/grand-central-tennis-club-a-little-known-piece-of-history/

Mrs HBF
Feb 18, 2011, 05:09 PM
How can Apple rumor claim that this will be the largest store ever when they're talking about putting on the terrace where Métrazur (a restaurant) is currently located? It's literally on the terrace. So are they going to have satellite locations in GCT in order to call themselves the largest store? :D

Thus it can't be at Métrazur. I think it's great that they'll be a location closer to our apt than that horrid 59th St locale. We end up going to the UWS store instead as it's a nicer place to be. GCT is about a 15 minute walk for us so I like this.

Mactagonist
Feb 18, 2011, 06:06 PM

Because they are all packed to capacity? It is pretty simple...

That said, I dont know any iconic beautiful location in GCT where such a large store could fit.

Mrs HBF
Feb 18, 2011, 06:10 PM
NYC taxes businesses to oblivion. For Apple to want a 5th store and then say that they want it to be the largest store in this tax-punishing city, then clearly they think that there is a customer demand for it. :D

CuppyCake
Feb 18, 2011, 06:53 PM
Does anyone know if Union Station in Washington, DC will be a new Apple Store? :apple:

jonhaxor
Feb 18, 2011, 11:29 PM
I wonder where will they put it?

The largest cavity is Vanderbilt Hall. It is permanently vacant, but being rented out for events.

The size is 12000 sq feet according to the GC website: http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/info/vanderbilthall.cfm

I'd say the Oyster Bar .. that place has been on the rocks for a while now .. add in the kitchen and storage area and maybe take out a ground floor business for another entrance and you'd easily be up to 40K sq ft plus