Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Sorry if my title doesnt make much sense, but here is what I mean...

Currently I own a PC and i put all my mp3s on a secondary HD. I have ordered a 15" Powerbook with Superdrive that should be in my hands in the next couple of days (c my sig). I also own a 20Gb 3rd generation iPod.

I plan to wirelessly network my PB and my PC but I dont know where I should put my music. How have you set up your computer systems to access your music most effectively.

1) Should I put leave all my mp3s on my PC and just access them from my PB via the wirless network - to listen to and to put on my iPod? Or will that be too slow?
2) Should I buy an external Firewire HD (Probably a Lacie d2) and put all my music on that. That way if im using my laptop i can easily connect the external HD to it and if I want to use my PC i can connect it to that. Although my PC only has USB 2.0 ports and not Firewire but I think some of those Lacie drives are both USB and firewire.

I should probably note that my PC is in my study and my PB will be in my bedroom (or the lounge room), at other ends of my house - thats why im going to network them.

What do u think? Please give me ur advice.

Cheers
inlimbo...

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
One Word:
iTunes

As long as they are on the same network you can stream using that.

Two Words:
Not quite

Unfortunately, you can't load music on to your ipod through your PB streaming from your pc. But then again, you could always just use the included USB 2.0 cable with your iPod and walk down the hall to grab them off the pc. I would recommend not using an external, because from time to time they'll get screwy, especially if you're unplugging it alot. (I've accidentaly unplugged my external without ejecting it and lost hours of video work...on multiple occaisions.)

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
First install iTunes on the PC, if you haven't already (as above). Second, move your music to the Mac. Third, sync your iPod using the Mac. Fourth, use the sharing preferences in iTunes to listen to the music on the PC (via iTunes streaming from the Mac).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
daveL said:
First install iTunes on the PC, if you haven't already (as above). Second, move your music to the Mac. Third, sync your iPod using the Mac. Fourth, use the sharing preferences in iTunes to listen to the music on the PC (via iTunes streaming from the Mac).

This seems the coolest option. I've got a very similar situation whereby I keep the music on my iBook so that when I sync my iPod, it takes all my contact details/calander events etc whereas the PC wouldn't do this. Also, I use my iPod as back up for some of my iBook's files so it makes sense to have it set to sync with the laptop. Get iTunes for Windows though, just so that you can still listen to music from your laptop. The problem with this is that the laptop has to be both awake and have iTunes running. Not always possible, so I keep lots of music on the PC too.

If possible, always sync an iPod with a Mac rather than a PC just because of the extra features and the more durable hard drive formatting.

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Thanks heaps!!!! I will "Listen to him" and "do what he said" :D.

Thanks daveL and mad jew i will follow your advice - seems like the coolest way to do it.

I was a bit worried about the stability of external drives but looks like i dont need one. yah!

I already use the PC version of iTunes so thats no problem

When I bought my iPod i only had i PC so i bought the PC version. But i can still use my iPod on my new PB right??? and iTunes is free so I can get the Mac version with its extra features?

The only thing im worried about is that with my large CD collection I will max out my HD on my PB. But thats probably unlikely as i have BTO it with a 100GB :cool:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
inlimbo said:
When I bought my iPod i only had i PC so i bought the PC version. But i can still use my iPod on my new PB right??? and iTunes is free so I can get the Mac version with its extra features?

When you plug it into the Mac, it'll ask you if you want to reformat it into a MAC-ONLY format. If it doesn't there's iPod software (apple website) you can run that will reformat it. Doing so will obviously erase everything on there but afterwards, the iPod will be attached to the Mac instead. Unfortunately, this will make it unreadable by Windows PCs.

You can keep it formatted in FAT32 or whatever PC iPods are if you like, and it will be read by both (still only attached to one library though) if you want to transfer files between computers using the iPod. This will still allow you to use the extra Mac features too. The only letdown is that it will be slower to mount on your desktop and it will be more susceptible to skipping/crashing when jolted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.