Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I had a movie in MKV format and I so I converted it to M4V using both Subler and MKVTools. Both files (the Subler and MKVTools files) looked great and opened up in QuickTime. However, when I try to play it on my ATV2 it loads for a few seconds then quits out into the menu screen. I took a video and posted it below. Can anyone help me with this? And more so, can someone tell me the easiest way to convert an MKV file to an MP4 format what will play on my ATV2 without a huge loss in quality. Thanks!

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tOqm_dZlQI

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Handbrake is free and has a specific conversion link to ATV2. Once the file is converted drag and drop the file into iTunes, then click on the Metadata link in the iTunes menu to add the album cover and data (otherwise it will just look like a screen capture image in iTunes with no data attached.)

Converting MKV files does take a while, compared to avi files, though.

P.S. I would have looked at your vid, but it is labeled as private.

Last edited:

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I use MkvTools a lot...works fine...so...what are the specs on your movie?

Sounds like they to much for the atv2. Make sure you horizontal does not exceed 1280.

I'd look at your link but I'm on the iPad and not best signal.

I've accidentally done a couple where I forgot to drop the res and same thing happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.