PDA

View Full Version : Macbook upgrade in these austere times

Fergalus
Feb 18, 2011, 06:45 AM
Hi all,

this is my first post so I will introduce myself. I am a 36 year old with a macbook that I love to bits - It has 100gb and .997GHZ..or something.

My main PC is now on its last legs and before I sent it to the electronic abbatoir I want to get everything onto my Macbook.

Thing is - the macbook doesn't have the space to do this so I need to get a new harddrive and maybe a memory boost.

I get very glassy eyed and confused when people mention dual core RAM GHZ drives with SATA duo interfaces . I can only apologise to you , my learned readers for my ignorance - so please bear with me.

I am useless.

I have an external WD drive that houses all my photos so that is not a problem.

I have a Sony Handycam - the HD-SR10 - this has software that is only PC compatible. Even if I copy all the files onto the WD ext drive and plug into my Macbook - nothing works. The only way it does is if I reconnect handycam to pc - put videos back on - connect Sony to Macbook directly and then videos import.

So I guess I am stuck with just importing all the videos onto iMovie this way.

This means I need a bigger hard drive so all your comments and suggestions are gratefully received.

I can only apologise that I am not man enough to buy the iMac 27" which had I the money - I would be typing on now....but then again if I had it, I wouldn't have this issue :)

Cheers

Fergal

iThinkergoiMac
Feb 18, 2011, 04:07 PM
To see your basic specs, click on the Apple Menu, and click on "About This Mac". That will show you your basic processor speed and amount of RAM. In that window, click on "More Info...". Copy and paste into a post what you find in that window, it should be labeled "Hardware Overview". That will let us know what MacBook you have and it'll be easier to go from there. Also post what version of OS X you're running, you'll find it in the first window.

You'll probably want a relatively big and fast internal HDD. Depending on which model you have, you may want to max out your RAM, but you'll most likely want to upgrade it a bit. Once we know what MacBook you have, we'll be able to help you find upgrades that will suit your needs.