Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144532-apple_tv_glee.jpg

9 to 5 Mac points to a new job listing from Apple that makes mention of the company's involvement in a variety of product lines, notably including "TV". The job listing, which interestingly contains a number of grammatical errors suggesting that it may not have been written by a native English speaker, is for an engineer to work on power supplies for Apple products.In this position, you will be part of pride developing innovative designs, which are implemented in products used by millions of people. The position primarily involves high-density offline power supply's development for Apple's next generation Macintosh platforms spanning from notebook computers, desktop computers, servers, standalone displays and TV.While the reference could simply be related to the company's existing Apple TV offering, some observers have been hoping that Apple will one day launch an Internet-connected television set integrating a TV screen with additional hardware to connect to iTunes and the rest of the Apple ecosystem. Consequently, the "TV" mention in the new job posting may give a glimmer of hope to those waiting for an Apple television.

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster has long advocated for just such a product, arguing that an integrated TV with DVR-like functionality and access to an iTunes television subscription service could offer a compelling alternative to traditional cable subscription packages. For its part, Apple has noted that it has no interest in being in the actual TV market given the difficulty of generating a profitable go-to-market strategy in a crowded industry already operating on slim profit margins. Apple executives have been known, however, to publicly dismiss ideas and products even as they were working on developing them.

Article Link: Job Posting Sparks Speculation Regarding Apple Television Set

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
We are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel in the rumor mill department.

Where's that story about Wozniak's hemorrhoids?

alexhasfun28

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2009
in the southwest.
I've always imagined a large flat glass screen/display that had Apple TV software integrated in there. The smallest Screen size being 55 inches & then larger ones following. And having a FaceTime Cam in the top, & and a Retina+IPS display. Amazing audio quality & more. I'm sure if Apple made such a product, they'd sell BIG TIME!

I honestly think Apple's future/next move is the Television business, and I'm sure they'll succeed at this. Now, that's an Apple TV!

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Macintosh platforms spanning from notebook computers, desktop computers, servers, standalone displays and TV.

I thought they'd abandoned the server market? Do mac mini and MacPro servers have different power supplies to the standard items?

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I can't see this happening any time soon if ever. I think someone just forgot to put the word "Apple" in front of TV.

redvettez06

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011

Well for starters I don't see this as a great use of resources for Apple. I would like more resources directed towards OSX. Also, The display would be almost certainly overpriced (for the record I don't think of many of Apple's products as being overpriced...some however are very overpriced) with "features" mostly being iTunes related which I frankly can't stand. I doubt it would support Netflix streaming or Pandora natively (which are superior to iTunes IMO) as many televisions do now. I guess it doesn't matter as I could always vote with my wallet but I would rather Apple leave televisions to other companies. All that being said, it would most likely be a beautiful piece of hardware, though how many TVs aren't beautiful these days?

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Well for starters I don't see this as a great use of resources for Apple. I would like more resources directed towards OSX. Also, The display would be almost certainly overpriced (for the record I don't think of many of Apple's products as being overpriced...some however are very overpriced) with "features" mostly being iTunes related which I frankly can't stand. I doubt it would support Netflix streaming or Pandora natively (which are superior to iTunes IMO) as many televisions do now. I guess it doesn't matter as I could always vote with my wallet but I would rather Apple leave televisions to other companies. All that being said, it would most likely be a beautiful piece of hardware, though how many TVs aren't beautiful these days?

Great. You know everything about the TV then. So when will I be able to buy it?

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Couldn't care less about a TV made by Apple - appleTV to my current TV works fine. Could be interesting if it has appleTV AND the box from satellite/FIOS/cable provider and the DVR build in and smoothly integrated with appleTV, but that won't happen -> so the only difference will be if the appleTV is next to the TV or build in (and in that case the external appleTV has more flexibility for moving to other TV's or upgrading the TV)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.