PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air 11-Inch Charging iPad?

adamjackson
Feb 19, 2011, 05:47 AM
Older devices like my previous gen MacBook Air and even 2009 iMac wouldn't charge the iPad but the 2010 Core i5 iMac that came out does charge it.

I'm curious does the new MacBook Air 11 inch have the right USB specs to charge an iPad? Going on a trip and trying to minimize the amount of power adapters I bring.

MacDawg
Feb 19, 2011, 05:49 AM
Although my iPad says "not charging" when connected to my MBP, it is indeed charging... just more slowly

petvas
Feb 19, 2011, 06:43 AM
Although my iPad says "not charging" when connected to my MBP, it is indeed charging... just more slowly

That is the case with all other Macs that do not have enough power on the USB port. When iTunes sync stops, the iPad will slowly sync. Normally it can fully sync overnight.

BlackMax
Feb 19, 2011, 07:35 AM
Here is a really good explanation of the iPad charging requirements and charging the iPad from a notebook USB port.

The iPad's charging challenge explained (http://www.macworld.com/article/150356/2010/04/ipadcharging.html)

BluePotato
Feb 19, 2011, 10:13 AM
My 11" MBA charges my iPad when connected via USB. The charging icon appears on the iPad.

No other computer I own, laptop or desktop, charges my iPad via USB.

Over Achiever
Feb 19, 2011, 01:10 PM
My 11" MBA charges my iPad when connected via USB. The charging icon appears on the iPad.

No other computer I own, laptop or desktop, charges my iPad via USB.

Any difference between the MBA being plugged in and on battery?

ZipZap
Mar 22, 2011, 09:49 AM
I just noticed this as well my MBA charges by iPad.

I also found a dongle that will let any computer USB port charge the ipad.