Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
ThinkSecret reports that no new hardware will be revealed at Apple Expo in Paris:

Apple CEO Steve Jobs will kick off Apple Expo in Paris this Tuesday, but he will not introduce any new hardware or major hardware upgrades, Think Secret has learned. Hardware product upgrades will also be absent from Seybold.

Spymac has a similar report but indicates that iCal and iSync will be made available at the Expo.

Few reliable rumors have pegged the Powerbook updates for Apple Expo. Late August supplies of Powerbooks were low, but previous rumors indicated a January time-frame for Powerbook updates. Some have speculated that recent educational discounts which expire on Sept 25th may hint at revisions... but this remains complete speculation.

The Powerbook is currently Apple's "oldest" model -- last updated in April 2002.

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
i'm waiting to use rendevous on itunes to use with my powerbook. Along with isync and ical - it shouldnt be a surprise not to have hardware updates. We should see them in january.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
interesting. i'm anxious to see whats up with iCal. The iTunes update must reflect the iCal functionality for iPods? Not sure what they have up their sleeves there.

Question: If I use a DSL router with a couple of Macs running 10.2, via Rendevous they should all see one another and be able to file swap, etc. correct?

chromos

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Re: an iTunes update, I'd love to see AAC encoding enabled on both iTunes and my iPod...

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
UCLA
What about iMovie?

iCal... thats great

iTunes... didn't we just have a major update less than 3 months ago??

What about iMovie? iMovie is currently Apple's "oldest" iApp. Its a great program but isn't quite perfect yet. I would like to see improved audio editing features and more felxibility when it comes to placing titles/text. There are some great plugins from 3rd parties and Apple should look to incorporate some of those features into the next update of iMovie.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by gandalf55
Question: If I use a DSL router with a couple of Macs running 10.2, via Rendevous they should all see one another and be able to file swap, etc. correct?

I imagine that they should...

The Rendezvous functionality in iTunes will rock! I'll be able to work on my desktop, and listen to all my music, which is on my laptop...

AmigaMac

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
AppleWorks 7 is long overdue!!!

AppleWorks 7 must be on the way... it is long overdue and we Mac users want it now!!!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
but why bring out rendezvous/iSinc if no apple comes with bluetooth built in - wouldn't it be better to debut them both at the same time?

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by dukestreet
but why bring out rendezvous/iSinc if no apple comes with bluetooth built in - wouldn't it be better to debut them both at the same time?

Rendezvous is already in 10.2 If you set up a printer to share, or chat with someone in a local network using iChat, you're using Rendezvous. Rendezvous has nothing really to do with bluetooth...

I'm predicting that the iTunes 3 update will add the shared playlist functionality...

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
re: itunes... it should be aac support and also maybe some ipod thing for ical support.... however, they said at either the wwdc preview of jag or maybe even as late as mwny that itunes via rendezvous was like 9 months away. so dont' expect that... if it comes early, great. but don't get your hopes up

rendezvous is built in yeah. isync would be good of course... but i agree with duke that it would make sense to see bluetooth built in at some point very soon if not now

that said, i'm not surprised at the idea of no new hardware. i just hope ical is all it's cracked up to be.

and for aac support via itunes/ipod

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
iTunes hopefully will bring AAC support to both iPod and itself. Just in time for my new iPod I get a week later. My old one I have now sold and i am feeling a bit lonely from music without it.

iCal is definitely very good, and by far worth waiting for. I think we may also seen the 10.2.1 update very soon.

I'll have to sleep for the next two days to make time pass even more quickly. When I see Tuesday i think cool tomorrow, but then i remeber that you're all in the US. ohhh.

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
No new hardware, but....

I'd love to have a Cordon Bleu chef do a live demonstration during the SteveNote on how to make filet mígnon from a Gateway cow. This MAY conflict with Steve's vegan lifestyle, though. ;) :D

And as for the Dell dude?

"Pour encourager les autres" ;) :D

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
I am looking forward to all the software updates. It may suck for all the people with two or three year old computers who were looking for a new one, but I'll be happy to share my iTunes library, use iCal with my iPod (that should be here any day now). Heck, even iSync, maybe I can get my Palm to sync again.

AmigaMac

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Re: Re: AppleWorks 7 is long overdue!!!

Originally posted by j763

dude, it's called StarOffice 6...

You think AW6 is dead? I could live with StarOffice though!

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
iCal - interesting but I have no use for it.

iTunes - I want Randezvous, I have multiple (2:D) computers in my house, and it would be very nice to be able to listen to all my songs on my iMac as well as my powermac.... If we dont get it oh well :(.

iChat - More functionality would be great . I am forced to use AIM because poor multiple user functionality and other issues. It is a cool prog but it needs work.

AppleWorks - I use Word most of the time but an update to AW would be good.

iMovie - never used it, probably never will.

And hopefully an apple web browser using Chimera speed with IE compatibily, and Mozilla functionality. I have my hipe high on this one though :D.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
hmmmmm

I wonder if they're having heat issues putting a faster chip in the powerbook...unless they're just waiting for bluetooth

The iMac is also due for a "speed bump" it got a 17 inch screen at MWNY but it hasn't been speed bumped since its introduction in january so its actually "older" than the powerbook...

Can't wait for the new apps and maybe some surprise new .mac functionality. That would be great.

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
Originally posted by gandalf55
Yes, as long as they're on the same subnet.

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
iTunes != iPod

Why do people want an iTunes update to make their iPod do more? That would be an iPod update (or in the case of AAC, both).

I want a new Powerbook, but I'm guessing October 1st for that as it's the first tuesday after the promos end.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
iTunes functions seamlessly with the iPod, so an update to the iPod would probably also take form in iTunes. Excepting adding functionality to the iPod that is already present in iTunes, e.g. crossfade.

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
For those of you who want to play your mp3's on another computer other than your main one it's quite simple. Enable filesharing on your main computer and log in and mount the drive on the other computer. Then, open iTunes and uncheck the prefs box that says "move all mp3's to my library" or something like that. Add these mp3's to your library and you're all set. I just did this last weekend and had my Pismo hooked up to my home stereo, wirelessly mounted the sharepoint on my G4/400 and had 17 days worth of music at my fingertips in my living room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.