Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaBorg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
I'm looking at upgrading my Mac Mini to 8GB of RAM (from 4). I checked out the Apple store (eeek, I know) and it was around $600 CDN for the 8GB of RAM!!!!

Question, though...based on what I know of the type of RAM in the mini, I can purchase some non-Apple branded RAM form my local computer store for about $100.

I know Apple is over-priced, but this is insanely over-priced. Am I missing something or risking anything if I go with the non-Apple RAM?

Specifically, the RAM I'm looking at getting is this one:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_309&item_id=033394

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Even that link you posted is overpriced. You don't need to look for apple-specific memory, you just need DDR3 1067MHz 204-pin SODIMMs

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
There is nothing wrong with buying ram from a 3rd party. Check out OWC.

I've used OWC for ages, but I've been through two of their NuRAM sets for my Mini and have had serious problems (kernel panics, memtest errors, etc).

I just picked up an 8GB G.Skill pair from newegg for $70. Here's a list of DDR3 PC8500 ram.

ozred

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I'm looking at upgrading my Mac Mini to 8GB of RAM (from 4). I checked out the Apple store (eeek, I know) and it was around $600 CDN for the 8GB of RAM!!!!

Question, though...based on what I know of the type of RAM in the mini, I can purchase some non-Apple branded RAM form my local computer store for about $100.

I know Apple is over-priced, but this is insanely over-priced.
Apple prides itself at charging the highest prices of all.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
All RAM purchased from Apple is blessed by Steve Jobs. I thought everyone knew this.

Detosx

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
Not with holy water, I hope.
Thanks, torbjoern, as we know all computers raise concerns but less so Macs, your holy water comment made me laugh! I hope Steve is receiving blessings and good care and he is in my thoughts and prayers.

I ran some technical inquiries past OWC and found them helpful. It is a pity they don't have a store in the UK. Unless I am wrong on this and I don't know about the Mini, Samsung (and possibly Hynix) seem to be the only wholly reliable brand at 16GB in the 2010 iMac, which further cements my generally good view of Samsung. I will probably have to order from OWC and absorb the shipping/customs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.