Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMadeInHeaven

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
I :apple:have a Macbook from 2009 (the one with the battery you can remove yourself). I lent it to my daughter for about 7 months and have recently got it back. Two days ago while charging the battery I suddenly got the message "Battery Is Not Charging". Although the green light is on showing the power cord is connected, it will not actually charge and the battery is stuck at 86%.

I questioned my daughter about her use of the Mac and she admitted that in 7 months of daily use she only ever actually switched it off ONCE. She said that she'd just leave it on all the time and that she "assumed" it would go into sleep mode after a few minutes of non-use (she didn't actually put it into sleep mode or close the lid etc). With this in mind I am wondering if the battery is dead?

That said the battery is showing as being in "Good condition." This is the battery info. Do you think buying a new battery might be the solution?:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number:
Manufacturer: DP
Device name: ASMB016
Pack Lot Code: 0003
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0110
Hardware Revision: 0500
Cell Revision: 0102
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 3492
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4081
Health Information:
Cycle count: 221
Condition: Good
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 12039

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
Charging: N

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Haha it's probably dead now. Go into an apple store if possible and act like all of a sudden the battery went crazy and you don't know why. You probably have few charge cycles, so maybe they will be nice and give you a new battery.

MacMadeInHeaven

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
The blasted thing is out of warranty so I may have to just buy a new battery. The thing I don't understand is if it's dead why doesn't it show up as dead on coconut battery?

How can you actually tell when a battery is dead?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Sounds like the battery is perfectly fine. First try unplugging it and plugging it back in a couple times, and if that doesn't work, run it until it's completely dead, wait about 5 hours, then charge it back up. Leaving it on like that really shouldn't hurt it

sine-nomine

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Finer stores everywhere.
I don't think leaving it on it the time will hurt it in any way. I only turned off my old 2002 iBook a few times, and the battery was at around 65% health after 6 years of near constant use. Likewise, I've only turned off my newer MacBook 2 or 3 times in the past 2+ years, and the battery health it 90%.

MacMadeInHeaven

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Can I take it into the Apple Store even though I've got no Applecare and its not under warranty? Or will they just tell me to eff off?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Can I take it into the Apple Store even though I've got no Applecare and its not under warranty? Or will they just tell me to eff off?

You can, just be sure to make a genius bar appointment online for your nearest apple store before you go. Otherwise you may not have the chance to talk to anyone. I'd try some of these tips before taking the time to go to the apple store.

MacMadeInHeaven

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for that. I've tried all these tips - SMC, draining battery, unplugging it etc. Nothing is working. I just ran Coconut Battery and this is exactly what it says:

Current Charge: 3492 MAh
Maximum Charge: 4081 mAh
(85%)

Current Capacity: 4081 mAh
Maximum Capacity: 5020 mAh
(81%)

Battery loadcycles - 221

81% capacity seems poor for 221 load cycles

back in my PC days I'd leave the laptop on all day every day and within about a year the battery would be completely and utterly dead. I presumed Macs respond in the same way to this sort of use.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for that. I've tried all these tips - SMC, draining battery, unplugging it etc. Nothing is working.
In the link that ECUpirate44 posted, under the section called CHARGING, you'll see instructions for troubleshooting your MagSafe adapter. I'd take a look at that and reset the SMC again (make sure you use the proper procedure, as there are different procedures for removable vs built-in batteries).
81% capacity seems poor for 221 load cycles
Not considering how the battery was treated.

MacMadeInHeaven

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
In the link that ECUpirate44 posted, under the section called CHARGING, you'll see instructions for troubleshooting your MagSafe adapter. I'd take a look at that and reset the SMC again (make sure you use the proper procedure, as there are different procedures for removable vs built-in batteries).

Not considering how the battery was treated.

Good point! I would like to simply go ahead and buy a new battery. My only reason for hesitation is I am confused by the statistics. If my battery is actually dead or near-dead, why is it not showing as dead on Coconut Battery?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Good point! I would like to simply go ahead and buy a new battery. My only reason for hesitation is I am confused by the statistics. If my battery is actually dead or near-dead, why is it not showing as dead on Coconut Battery?
If you can't properly calibrate your battery (which requires recharging), then you have no way of knowing if the readings shown by coconut battery are accurate. It wouldn't hurt to take it to the Apple store to see if they can test to see if it's defective. Even though it's out of warranty, they should be willing to test it without charge. Some have even had defective batteries replaced out of warranty, by a sympathetic Apple rep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.