Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laurensco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Hey, sorry if this is in the worng section, I wasn't quite sure where to post it.

I have a USB turntable/vinyl archiver however, I would like to be able to plug it into speakers and use it as a normal record player. Is that possible?

Many thanks :)

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Neighbor has one that can do it - wouldn't know specifically about the one you have, though. Simple suggestion but just look to see if it has any other ports besides USB and power.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I have an Ion Profile Pro USB turntable. In addition to the USB connection, it has a set of RCA (red and white) output jacks. However, the instructions indicate that the output of the RCA jacks is line level, which is not strong enough to power speakers by itself. Most USB turntables that have aux outputs are like this, from the research I've done.

If your turntable has the RCA outputs, you'll need a small receiver or amp to power the speakers.

Laurensco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
I've just checked, it has a power cable and RCA audio output cables. Sorry if i'm being slow but i'm not completely confident with 'line level.' Does it mean that I can plug it into a home stereo? :)

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I've just checked, it has a power cable and RCA audio output cables. Sorry if i'm being slow but i'm not completely confident with 'line level.' Does it mean that I can plug it into a home stereo? :)

Yes, provided your home stereo has RCA input jacks (usually labeled AUX). The input from these jacks will be amplified by your home stereo and played at normal volume through the stereo's speakers.

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
Best to make sure you plug those ""line level" plugs into a "phono" input on your receiver, otherwise, you may end up with sound that will be tinny and have way too much treble.

This is due to the fact that the output from a phonograph cartridge has to have RIAA equalization applied before being amplified in your receiver/amp. Check your turntable's manual and see if the output to the (RCA stereo) cables is already equalized or not. Good luck going old school!:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.