Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smijy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Timmins ON, Canada
Hi all, new to the forums and FCP 7.

Long story short, wife and I are expecting (any day now) our first child. And naturally we ensured the batteries are charged in the camera's and camcorders, and I loaded FCP 7 to the iMac.

Our camcorder records to .vro files on mini dv. I made a quick clip and imported the .vro file to FCP 7.

When I played it there was no aduio, I could import an mp3 track etc, and have it play overtop of the video but could not figure out how to get the recorded audio to play.

Is there something I am missing, or does the .vro need to be converted first?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

thank you in advance.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Hi all, new to the forums and FCP 7.

Long story short, wife and I are expecting (any day now) our first child. And naturally we ensured the batteries are charged in the camera's and camcorders, and I loaded FCP 7 to the iMac.

Our camcorder records to .vro files on mini dv. I made a quick clip and imported the .vro file to FCP 7.

When I played it there was no aduio, I could import an mp3 track etc, and have it play overtop of the video but could not figure out how to get the recorded audio to play.

Is there something I am missing, or does the .vro need to be converted first?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

thank you in advance.

You'll need to convert it.

This should do the trick:

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

smijy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Timmins ON, Canada
Thank you Pete, I did some googling in the interim, and found quite a few links related to handbrake. As well from searching I now understand that cam corders that shoot to these .vro files (dvd-ram) etc, are very compressed video files, so I shouldn't expect any mind blowing picture quality after conversion.

Is this correct?

As well is there a preffered (better than the other) format that I should be converting the .vro to before loading it into FCP 7 to edit?

Thanks again for the help.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Don't use Handbrake. It's designed to create very compressed files which are great for viewing on an iDevice, but not great for editing with. Like handsome pete suggested, use MPEG Streamclip. It's free and will convert into any codec your computer has installed. My suggestion is to use ProRes LT. It's good balance of quality, file size and 'edit-ability' in Final Cut Pro.

Lethal

smijy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Timmins ON, Canada
Thank you very much for the follow up to Pete's suggestions and providing additional information. I will try that out and see how far I get.

Would you happen to have any suggestions as to some training material for FCP 7 some learner basics etc.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Thank you very much for the follow up to Pete's suggestions and providing additional information. I will try that out and see how far I get.

Would you happen to have any suggestions as to some training material for FCP 7 some learner basics etc.

If you don't mind spending a few bucks I'd look into Lynda.com as an online video source for training, or the Final Cut Pro Training Series book if you prefer that method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.