PDA

View Full Version : Apple #1 in Education

MacRumors
Jul 9, 2001, 08:25 AM
MacCentral reports (http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0107/09.education.shtml) that, according to Quality Education Data's recent report, Apple is #1 in the education market, having over twice as many units in place in schools as Dell, closest runner-up. Interestingly, Dell recently claimed that it was the education leader, ahead of Apple.
Poor Dell.

os4
Jul 9, 2001, 02:03 PM
This "news" is simply wrong at best and a lie at worst. Apple does stand as #1 in terms of number of units in schools (ie, it's install base in the education space is #1). Dell's claim is unit SALES. Dell surpassed Apple in total number of units sold in the education space for the past year.

Please get the facts straight. Apple has far too many reasons to be superior. We don't need to go around making false statements, especially one so transparently false.

macboy
Jul 9, 2001, 03:20 PM
Now Apples computers in the schools.... remember.... they might not be iMacs, iBooks but good old Mac Classics, LCs and Apples from 10 years back!!! Most schools can't afford new computers anyways... That one district that bought 23,000 iBooks... not sure where they got their money from!!

mnkeybsness
Jul 9, 2001, 05:06 PM
my old high school has about 300 imacs and no ibm compatibles. HA HA HA-death to microsoft

Simon Liquid
Jul 9, 2001, 07:37 PM
I work for my (former) school net administrator. This summer, some update of ScreenDoor didn't support Virtual PC and we bought our first Windows box. Quite a tragedy.

You are right though, Macs hold up great. We finally got rid of most of our LCs last summer, but all but a few were in good enough condition that we could resell them. I know of at least 8 Apple //e's still in active use and a couple of Apple //gs's sitting on teacher's desks right next to shiny iMacs. On the other hand, the handfull of PowerComputing boxes we have are literally falling to pieces.

I think smart schools have figured out by now that if they buy Apple, they are going to be replacing computers about half as often as if they chose an alternative (other than Sony or something which doesn't market for schools anyway).

Macwizzard
Jul 9, 2001, 09:03 PM
My elemantry school, I keep in touch, started out with Macs in the 80's, went to cheapo windows boxes, and just recently bought an iMac and DV camcorder. Some of the students made a movie about the civil war with iMovie. Now all the teachers want an iMac.

Ed Tech
Jul 9, 2001, 11:48 PM
This is true I couldn't find in the articles how many total machines were sold this year but the prediction from QED was this:

For the 2001-2002 school year, QED estimates that U.S. public schools will purchase 311,896 to 447,994 Macs compared to 203,808 to 270,500 Dell systems and 118,427 to 215,705 Compaq units

Interesting numbers... it's hard to predict I am sure.