Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sap12690

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
hey, does anybody have LogMeIn Ignition? I was wondering if it was a good app or not considering its $30

I wanted to know if it did the following:
- Access files from my iMac so i can keep working on them
- does whatever gets done on my ipad show up on my mac?
- Does it allow me to work on Microsoft Word?

Thanks

KINetics

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
hey, does anybody have LogMeIn Ignition? I was wondering if it was a good app or not considering its $30

I wanted to know if it did the following:

Thanks

I have it. It basically turns your ipad into a remote interface with your mac. Very much like Citrix remote desktop. You will have to install the logmein client on your mac as well.

You will not be working on the files natively on your ipad, but rather VPN'ing into your mac. When you save, the file will be saved on your mac.

Yes.

Yes. Since you're technically working on your mac.

If you have Word installed on your mac, yes.

With any VPN type of software, network speed will be a factor. There is a lag. he slower your network speed (especially if your using AT&T cellular data), the more noticeable the lag.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
i do. it basically allows you to take control of your keyboard, mouse and screen and nothing more quite similar to LogMeIn Free for your desktop.

I find the app very useful, but it would be a pain in the rear if your actually tried working on a Word document.

Unless you need remote access to your computer at home id recommend dropbox and other productivity apps which utilise it e.g. Goodreader etc

sap12690

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
So "dropbox" just got for my phone and future ipad ;), so if i drop word documents into it, will i be able to add stuff to them and save from my phone and have it show up on my mac?

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I don't have a problem using Word with it. However, I don't do anything fancy with it, either. Logmein simply takes over you computer and you control the mouse with you finger.

I usually use logmein away from home and Splashtop remote when I am home (never set it for accessing remotely). Splashtop will stream video and audio over your home network, so you can use Flash video, stream movies, or music from your computer. Logmein will not stream music to the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.