PDA

View Full Version : How to hide system HD (Server HD)?

Blindside
Feb 21, 2011, 03:07 PM
Hi,
I've got the following problem.

I'm a PhD student in a lab and my professor got us a Mac Mini Server. His idea ist that we locally upload our data to that server and backup the data with time machine and an external firewire HDD. Since I am using a macbook, I got the honour to set the server up.
First: I have very limited experience with servers. I set up an admin account and an account for each user and combined everything into one group.
I created a folder for each user and in the server admin software, I gave each user read&write rights in his own folder but only-read rights in each other's folder (+ a shared folder). I'm sure there is a more elegant way, but well...

So, my only problem now is: When I connect to the server via my Macbook, everything works fine, except that every user sees the 'Server HD' drive folder. It's 'read only', but it annoys me as hell. In the Server-Admin software, the following rights are given:

Spotlight - custom
root - read + write
admin - read + write
others - read only

Problem is: As soon as I revoke the read only rights form 'others', the Mac Mini won't boot anymore and I have to repair the rights via disk utility and an external drive.

Essentially: How do I hide the 'Server HD' Folder from every user without messing up the boot-up?

Thanks a lot!

Waragainstsleep
Feb 22, 2011, 08:56 AM
Go into Filesharing in Server Admin, click Share points top left to list shares, find and select the Server HD then click Unshare top right. Hit save bottom right and you are done.