PDA

View Full Version : Twice as long to boot...Help!

iRun26.2
Feb 22, 2011, 07:55 AM
I don't restart my computer very often but I noticed today when I restarted my 11.6" MBA that it takes about twice as long as before.

What could be doing this? The only thing I can think of is that I installed Coolbook. But I disable it and it still boots slow? Could Coolbook still be the problem? I would like to completely delete it if is causing my slow boot times.

oakie
Feb 22, 2011, 08:25 AM
verify your startup disk and permission using the software reinstall disk as your startup disk.

Psilocybin
Feb 22, 2011, 09:10 AM
I don't restart my computer very often but I noticed today when I restarted my 11.6" MBA that it takes about twice as long as before.

What could be doing this? The only thing I can think of is that I installed Coolbook. But I disable it and it still boots slow? Could Coolbook still be the problem? I would like to completely delete it if is causing my slow boot times.

I have the exact same problem after installing coolbook

rkheyfets
Feb 22, 2011, 09:36 PM
I had the same issue after installing programs and bootcamp windows 7 just give it a few reboots and it should return to normal, also try resetting the pram
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

iRun26.2
Feb 22, 2011, 09:48 PM
I had the same issue after installing programs and bootcamp windows 7 just give it a few reboots and it should return to normal, also try resetting the pram
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

I disabled Coolbook and have rebooted several times. Now I am down to about 16 seconds.

The longer boot times really are not a problem since I do not reboot all that often. It is just concerning because it makes me wonder if my computer is slower in other (normal everyday) areas as well (that may be harder to time).

(The stunning speed of the MBA is still one of my favorite parts about this machine and I don't want to lose it)

iPhone1
Feb 22, 2011, 09:51 PM
I disabled Coolbook and have rebooted several times. Now I am down to about 16 seconds.

The longer boot times really are not a problem since I do not reboot all that often. It is just concerning because it makes me wonder if my computer is slower in other (normal everyday) areas as well (that may be harder to time).

(The stunning speed of the MBA is still one of my favorite parts about this machine and I don't want to lose it)

Uninstall Coolbook via the preferences pane inside of Coolbook. Reboot a couple of times to regain boot up speeds. Repairing permissions won't hurt as well. Coolbook doubled the boot up time of my wife's MBA although the author did say that once it is setup properly boot speeds will actually be quicker than stock.

iPhone1
Feb 22, 2011, 09:53 PM
From the Coolbook author

"I configured 1.6 GHz only at the lowest voltage.
The first boot time after the activation should be longer because of the building of the kext cache.

/Magnus"

iRun26.2
Feb 22, 2011, 09:55 PM
From the Coolbook author

The first boot time after the activation should be longer because of the building of the kext cache.

/Magnus"

iPhone1, thanks so much for the post! I suppose now that I should probably reenable it and try again.

BlackMax
Feb 23, 2011, 10:01 AM
From the Coolbook author

/Magnus"

This is the same setup I have. One entry for 1.6GHz at the lowest voltage of .875v and it seems to work fine.

aleni
Feb 25, 2011, 09:56 AM
mine does that too, and i have rebooted it several times. still 30 secs from 14-16 secs with coolbook. twice as much! :eek:

when i disabled coolbook, it was normal again at about 14-16 secs.

iRun26.2
Feb 25, 2011, 10:04 AM
mine does that too, and i have rebooted it several times. still 30 secs from 14-16 secs with coolbook. twice as much! :eek:

when i disabled coolbook, it was normal again at about 14-16 secs.

I intend to reenable 'Coolbook' again to see if it still slows it down. I dont understand why it could slow the boot times down.

aleni
Feb 25, 2011, 10:30 AM
I intend to reenable 'Coolbook' again to see if it still slows it down. I dont understand why it could slow the boot times down.

i think the slower boot time occurred because coolbook needs to start a kext at start up. lucky this new air has 30 days of standby time, so don't need to shutdown it anymore.