PDA

View Full Version : MacMall Fedex Standard Overnight - Is Signature Required Upon Delivery?

SR71
Feb 22, 2011, 08:14 AM
I'm planning on buying a 13.3" MBA either tomorrow or on Thursday from MacMall and I plan on getting Fedex Standard Overnight shipping (delivery next day by 3:00PM), buying it is a huge concern of mine as to whether or not a signature will be required from someone in the household upon delivery?

This is a huge concern of mine because I do not want my $1350 purchase to just be put on my doorstep for any passerby to be able to take.

So, to sum this post up, my question is, if I choose Fedex Standard Overnight shipping from MacMall, will a signature from someone in my household be required upon delivery?

Thanks in advance. :)

oakie
Feb 22, 2011, 08:23 AM
yes.

SR71
Feb 22, 2011, 08:40 AM
yes.

Does it cost extra to require a signature upon delivery? I've ordered from the online Apple Store multiple times and have always had my purchases require a signature upon delivery and it never costed me extra, but yesterday I called MacMall and the guy that I spoke with said it would cost $11 extra to require a signature upon delivery if I chose Fedex Standard Overnight, while another MacMall employee told me that it doesn't cost anything extra and that it would be automatically included with my purchase (with no extra fee being charged) as long as a chose Fedex Standard Overnight.

So who do I believe?

troutspinner
Feb 22, 2011, 08:43 AM
Why not just call Macmall?

kinsale
Feb 22, 2011, 09:45 AM
I'm curious why you bought from Macmall and not Apple?

Apple requires a signature by default.

Gom33
Feb 22, 2011, 10:01 AM
Yes you need a signature, my wife had to sign for ours when we received from macmall. You pay extra for the overnight shipping, not to have signature required.

SR71
Feb 22, 2011, 11:23 AM
I'm curious why you bought from Macmall and not Apple?

Apple requires a signature by default.

Because I can get a 13.3" MBA with 4GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD with Fedex Standard Overnight shipping for $1,346, or I can get the same type of MBA directly from Apple with the slower shipping speed (2-3 day shipping -- they don't offer next day shipping for where I live for some reason) for $1,501.

And I know that I can get refurbished, but I'd prefer to get a brand new one, which is why I didn't compare it to the refurbished Macs.

kinsale
Feb 22, 2011, 11:51 AM
Because I can get a 13.3" MBA with 4GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD with Fedex Standard Overnight shipping for $1,346, or I can get the same type of MBA directly from Apple with the slower shipping speed (2-3 day shipping -- they don't offer next day shipping for where I live for some reason) for $1,501.

And I know that I can get refurbished, but I'd prefer to get a brand new one, which is why I didn't compare it to the refurbished Macs.

Not trying to argue you with you but the Apple price for what you want is $1399 not $1501.

jdechko
Feb 22, 2011, 01:29 PM
Not trying to argue you with you but the Apple price for what you want is $1399 not $1501.

Not trying to argue with you but it would be $1399 + tax + shipping. ;)

SR71
Feb 22, 2011, 01:48 PM

This. ;)

The $1346 price on MacMall is after taxes and shipping and so is the $1501 price from Apple.

The $1346 price from MacMall with Fedex Standard Overnight shipping is much better to me than the $1501 price from Apple for the exact same MBA with slower shipping. ;)

Also, thanks for all the replies everyone. :)

kinsale
Feb 22, 2011, 03:14 PM

My bad, I forget I live in New Hampshire with no sales tax.

SR71
Feb 22, 2011, 03:52 PM
My bad, I forget I live in New Hampshire with no sales tax.

I normally have to pay tax, too, but for some reason MacMall isn't charging me tax, but whatever... I'm not complaining. :)

oakie
Feb 22, 2011, 06:10 PM
Does it cost extra to require a signature upon delivery? I've ordered from the online Apple Store multiple times and have always had my purchases require a signature upon delivery and it never costed me extra, but yesterday I called MacMall and the guy that I spoke with said it would cost $11 extra to require a signature upon delivery if I chose Fedex Standard Overnight, while another MacMall employee told me that it doesn't cost anything extra and that it would be automatically included with my purchase (with no extra fee being charged) as long as a chose Fedex Standard Overnight.

So who do I believe?

i didnt have to pay for it and overnight delivery was free on my purchase. of course i can only base this on my own experience.

oakie
Feb 22, 2011, 06:11 PM
I normally have to pay tax, too, but for some reason MacMall isn't charging me tax, but whatever... I'm not complaining. :)

you only pay tax if you reside in the same state as MacMall. it's the same for most states.

SR71
Feb 22, 2011, 07:56 PM
you only pay tax if you reside in the same state as MacMall. it's the same for most states.

Oh, I see now. You're lucky you got the free overnight shipping... I wish I had gottten that. :)

But yeah, the MacMall employee that requiring a signature was an additional $11... guess not.

oakie
Feb 22, 2011, 08:14 PM
Oh, I see now. You're lucky you got the free overnight shipping... I wish I had gottten that. :)

But yeah, the MacMall employee that requiring a signature was an additional $11... guess not.

they offer free overnight shipping for orders over $1000 once in a while. that's how i got it for my MBA. the MBP i ordered before that didnt have that offer, but i just called them and asked for it and they did it.

SR71
Feb 22, 2011, 08:45 PM
they offer free overnight shipping for orders over $1000 once in a while. that's how i got it for my MBA. the MBP i ordered before that didnt have that offer, but i just called them and asked for it and they did it.

Definitely going to be calling about that. That would lower my price down to $1318 which would be a great deal for a brand new MBA.

When I call will I need to order it over the phone at that time or can they just flag my account or the item (MBA) in my cart so that shipping is free?

oakie
Feb 22, 2011, 09:56 PM
Definitely going to be calling about that. That would lower my price down to $1318 which would be a great deal for a brand new MBA.

When I call will I need to order it over the phone at that time or can they just flag my account or the item (MBA) in my cart so that shipping is free?

order it over the phone. it makes no difference in price, etc. but it will be required as they cant necessarily flag your account to order online after a promised quote over the phone.

SR71
Feb 22, 2011, 10:49 PM
order it over the phone. it makes no difference in price, etc. but it will be required as they cant necessarily flag your account to order online after a promised quote over the phone.

Problem is, I'm getting it using the AppleInsider's discount in addition to MacMall's normal discount, hence why I don't really want to order the phone. Any idea's on what I should do?

Starlights
Feb 22, 2011, 10:58 PM
Problem is, I'm getting it using the AppleInsider's discount in addition to MacMall's normal discount, hence why I don't really want to order the phone. Any idea's on what I should do?

Mine was left at the door (though i was home and went out to check when i heard the noise of a truck pulling away) I was kind of surprised that i didnt have to sign for it.

SR71
Feb 22, 2011, 11:02 PM
Mine was left at the door (though i was home and went out to check when i heard the noise of a truck pulling away) I was kind of surprised that i didnt have to sign for it.

This is what I'm worried about. I don't want this happening when I'm out.

What shipping option did you choose?

Starlights
Feb 22, 2011, 11:06 PM
This is what I'm worried about. I don't want this happening when I'm out.

What shipping option did you choose?

Its from a couple of months ago - they had free 2 day shipping - and it was delivered via Fedex.

ps - i went through Fatwallet.com cashback link and got additional 3% back for the total price on Macmall (comes back as a rebate through FW a couple of months later - saved me additional $40)

SR71
Feb 22, 2011, 11:42 PM
Its from a couple of months ago - they had free 2 day shipping - and it was delivered via Fedex.

ps - i went through Fatwallet.com cashback link and got additional 3% back for the total price on Macmall (comes back as a rebate through FW a couple of months later - saved me additional $40)

I think I'm going to go with Fedex Priority Overnight, that way it will get here by 10:30 AM and I will be ready for the package to arrive, and its only $5 more than Standard Overnight, but in the end I'll feel more secure. ;)

oakie
Feb 23, 2011, 09:42 AM

they applied the AI discount over the phone for me. just ask.

at this point i think you should be calling MacMall, unless you want me to order it for you. just email me your credit card info.

SR71
Feb 23, 2011, 12:02 PM
they applied the AI discount over the phone for me. just ask.

at this point i think you should be calling MacMall, unless you want me to order it for you. just email me your credit card info.

Lol, okay. I'll be giving them a call later today. ;)

Vod Kanockers
Feb 23, 2011, 12:53 PM
I ordered my 15" MBP from MacMall two weeks ago with Saturday/Priority overnight delivery. It arrived less than 24 hours after I ordered it.

Mine was definitely signature required.

SR71
Feb 23, 2011, 01:56 PM
I ordered my 15" MBP from MacMall two weeks ago with Saturday/Priority overnight delivery. It arrived less than 24 hours after I ordered it.

Mine was definitely signature required.

Were you able to get the free priority shipping by calling MacMall? Also, this is a bit off-topic, but how was your MBP? This is my first time ordering through MacMall and I want to hear about anyone's experiences.