Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jinxednuance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Hey folks,

So I got the Macbook Air 13' basic a few days ago and a lot of people from what I've been reading from the forums suggest that if I am to use Windows 7, I need to have better specs, so I was thinking of bumping the memory to 4GB instead of the current 2GB.

My question is, what changes would I notice? Will it boot faster? Graphics? I am not sure what to expect.

Thank you.

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
Hey folks,

So I got the Macbook Air 13' basic a few days ago and a lot of people from what I've been reading from the forums suggest that if I am to use Windows 7, I need to have better specs, so I was thinking of bumping the memory to 4GB instead of the current 2GB.

My question is, what changes would I notice? Will it boot faster? Graphics? I am not sure what to expect.

Thank you.

You know you can't upgrade the ram don't you? You'll have to return that one and get the 4gb version? :)

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
faster performance when multitasking. that's it.

Under normal use, yes. But if you're running something that needs lots of memory, such as virtual machines, it should make a big difference. Swapping is not ideal even to an SSD (and not really recommended either considering the limited lifespan of the SSD cells)

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
Under normal use, yes. But if you're running something that needs lots of memory, such as virtual machines, it should make a big difference. Swapping is not ideal even to an SSD (and not really recommended either considering the limited lifespan of the SSD cells)

using a VM is multitasking. :facepalm:

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I'm surprised how popular these things have become...

attachment.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.