PDA

View Full Version : Question about upgrading Airs

jinxednuance
Feb 22, 2011, 08:15 AM
Hey folks,

So I got the Macbook Air 13' basic a few days ago and a lot of people from what I've been reading from the forums suggest that if I am to use Windows 7, I need to have better specs, so I was thinking of bumping the memory to 4GB instead of the current 2GB.

My question is, what changes would I notice? Will it boot faster? Graphics? I am not sure what to expect.

Thank you.

oakie
Feb 22, 2011, 08:22 AM
faster performance when multitasking. that's it.

Gordy
Feb 22, 2011, 09:40 AM
Hey folks,

So I got the Macbook Air 13' basic a few days ago and a lot of people from what I've been reading from the forums suggest that if I am to use Windows 7, I need to have better specs, so I was thinking of bumping the memory to 4GB instead of the current 2GB.

My question is, what changes would I notice? Will it boot faster? Graphics? I am not sure what to expect.

Thank you.

You know you can't upgrade the ram don't you? You'll have to return that one and get the 4gb version? :)

old-wiz
Feb 22, 2011, 11:41 AM
You know you can't upgrade the ram don't you? You'll have to return that one and get the 4gb version? :)

Exactly. You can't upgrade the ram since it is soldered in place.

GekkePrutser
Feb 22, 2011, 12:30 PM
faster performance when multitasking. that's it.

Under normal use, yes. But if you're running something that needs lots of memory, such as virtual machines, it should make a big difference. Swapping is not ideal even to an SSD (and not really recommended either considering the limited lifespan of the SSD cells)

oakie
Feb 22, 2011, 06:15 PM
Under normal use, yes. But if you're running something that needs lots of memory, such as virtual machines, it should make a big difference. Swapping is not ideal even to an SSD (and not really recommended either considering the limited lifespan of the SSD cells)

using a VM is multitasking. :facepalm:

topmounter
Feb 22, 2011, 09:26 PM
I'm surprised how popular these things have become...

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=271839&thumb=1&d=1298059698