PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air -> Macbook

Capt Underpants
Feb 22, 2011, 10:00 PM
Given that Steve christened Macbook Air "the future of macbooks", and given that the white macbook is rumored to be discontinued on Thursday, I wonder...

Is Thursday the day that the "future of macbooks" becomes the present?

.Max.
Feb 23, 2011, 04:21 AM
Given that Steve christened Macbook Air "the future of macbooks", and given that the white macbook is rumored to be discontinued on Thursday, I wonder...

Is Thursday the day that the "future of macbooks" becomes the present?

By the sound of their article.. It sounded to me like they were just going to make the regular Macbooks Metal again :D

bowlerman625
Feb 23, 2011, 11:57 AM
By the sound of their article.. It sounded to me like they were just going to make the regular Macbooks Metal again :D

That's what I thought too.

gonnabuyamacbsh
Feb 23, 2011, 01:34 PM
x2. the next mbp 13"...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__JQgqNNRJDU/SFSEyiGqj3I/AAAAAAAAAL0/EC_LOy-iHqY/s320/892cap012.jpg

Capt Underpants
Feb 23, 2011, 01:44 PM
I think that tomorrow Apple will discontinue the Macbook.

And then, to everyone's surprise, the next Macbook Air refresh will just be called 'Macbook'.

And everyone will realize that Steve told us exactly what was going to happen, a year in advance.

yly3
Feb 23, 2011, 01:49 PM
And then, to everyone's surprise, the next Macbook Air refresh will just be called 'Macbook'.

And everyone will realize that Steve told us exactly what was going to happen, a year in advance.

Then I'll keep my 2010 11" Air for a long time. the Air trademark sounds more indie lol.

entatlrg
Feb 23, 2011, 02:33 PM
"Air" is a good marketing term for Apple's ultra-lights. It's not going anywhere.

matt56037
Feb 23, 2011, 02:55 PM
I think it only makes sense that the MBA is the future of notebooks. ODDs are useful for some people, but for the vast majority of us they're useless. Removing them in favor of a bigger battery would be the best move, as laptops are now the norm over desktops and battery life is now becoming the make-or-break in the competition in laptops and tablets. I think SSDs will have to wait until prices lower so that you can realistically use a laptop as your only computer and still keep all your media. The recent rumor of a removed ODD in favor of a small (~16GB) boot drive seems odd, as 2 storage drives doesn't make sense. You're better off with a sole 128GB SSD, again allowing a bigger battery in place of the rumored second drive.

I think when Apple claims it's the future, all they're really saying is that ODDs are obsolete and as SSD becomes cheaper, that will be the norm. We all already knew that; it's just Apple finding anything and everything to use as marketing material.

Mike84
Feb 23, 2011, 03:07 PM
I think MBAs will still be around for a while, but we have to all remember that eventually we will no longer need optical drives (what the MBA has not had since the beginning) and all laptops will become more and more thinner (what the MBA is) an, so, MBA and MBPs will merge into one line of laptops. To me, that is the only outcome possible here. Eliminating two laptops and streamlining the system.

.Max.
Feb 23, 2011, 04:57 PM
x2. the next mbp 13"...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__JQgqNNRJDU/SFSEyiGqj3I/AAAAAAAAAL0/EC_LOy-iHqY/s320/892cap012.jpg

Juliar Ceasar (I think) from the film Gladiator :p Can I have a cookie? :D