Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
BIG news from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12549527

It appears the Central Laborers’ Pension Fund of Jackson, Illinois which holds nearly 11,500 Apple shares worth around $4mm, has asked for clarity over who would succeed jobs. From the BBC's bloggers:

BBC said:
Apple is not best pleased at the move and in its written response in its proxy statement has said “by publicly naming these potential successors, Proposal No. 5 invites competitors to recruit high-value executives away from Apple.”

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I'd have thought the succession plan was pretty obvious, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to make it public.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
This is a non-story. I voted with the board on this. You don't publicize your CEO succession plans.

I'm pretty happy with how Jobs, his team and the board have managed their business. My AAPL is up 2,925.95% since I bought it.

GadgetGav

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
BIG news from the BBC.

It appears the Central Laborers’ Pension Fund of Jackson, Illinois which holds nearly 11,500 Apple shares worth around $4mm, has asked for clarity over who would succeed jobs. From the BBC's bloggers:

Not really BIG news at a time when hundreds are being killed in various Middle Eastern countries.
Jobs isn't dead or even gone from the company. What other company would be expected to publicize CEO succession plans before they were needed? I wonder if this pension plan pays as much attention to their other holding's CEO succession?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
This is a non-story. I voted with the board on this. You don't publicize your CEO succession plans.

I'm pretty happy with how Jobs, his team and the board have managed their business. My AAPL is up 2,925.95% since I bought it.

This. If they have kept and keep the same rhythm they've had for all these years, I could care less if it's Caligula's horse being appointed as next CEO.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
There is no succession plan only zuul ...

Due to Jobs pact with dark forces to make apple the brand it is today he will never die, although they do have take him out of the public eye periodically to renew his pact with the dark forces and perform the ritual sacrifice of executives from the companies apple has acquired recently.

ehoui

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
BIG news from the BBC.

I see your BBC article and raise you a funnier one...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8458880.stm

In a poll of 1000 British people, 20% had never heard of Apple chief executive Steve Jobs and a further 10% thought he worked for a trade union.
Fifteen percent believed that web creator Sir Tim Berners-Lee was either head of MI5 or an Arctic explorer.
Microsoft boss Bill Gates was the most well-known but 5% of the group thought he was a comedian or a famous thief.
Technology buzzwords were also found to be open to misinterpretation.
One in ten respondents to the light-hearted survey thought that a wireless dongle was a sex toy and 6% affirmed that VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) was a sexually transmitted disease.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I think apple need to state the plans if it wants to protect it's share prices in the future. Reason being is way to much of apple's face is Steve Jobs. One thing I would not want to be holding onto when Steve Jobs dies is AALP stock because it will take a massive nose dive for a while. If plans are put out there it would reduce the fear when it happens some what.

Let's face some facts SJ health is clearly not good and it is never going to be great again. The unspecifided medical leave does not sound good at all.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Apple should just buy all the shares back and tell the Central Labourers Pension Fund to sod off...

Agreed. I nominate you as the new company spokesperson.:D

Agreed. There is no obligation for Apple to publicize this information.

Jav6454 said:
I could care less if it's Caligula's horse being appointed as next CEO

I hear it was an outstanding Consul.:D

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Not really BIG news at a time when hundreds are being killed in various Middle Eastern countries.
Jobs isn't dead or even gone from the company. What other company would be expected to publicize CEO succession plans before they were needed? I wonder if this pension plan pays as much attention to their other holding's CEO succession?

We can all play this game about whether any news is big, and certainly the Middle East news is big in world politics. For an Apple Mac - oriented website however this is pretty big news, especially considering Steve's original ousting from the helm, and the fears many people have regarding Apple becoming "just another computer company". Look at Google: for all their kookiness with their building, they are now the de facto replacement for Microsoft as Apple's rivals because they lack that human touch that Jobs purportedly brings.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
i could care less if it's Caligula's horse being appointed as next CEO.

Press Release:

Today apple announces three new products that were heavily influenced by it's new CEO Incitatus. With much fanfare the iSaddle, iFeed, and iBrush galloped to the front of the pack in terms of consumer anticipation and today their release marks a Triple Crown victory for the 1000's who camped out just to be first out of the gate when retail stores opened. The board is reportedly pleased with the way Incitatus has hurdled the competition since taking over the position from Steve Jobs. Shareholders are excited about the gait at which he is projecting product refreshes and the pace he has set for releasing new Apple tech to the market. When asked about the secret to his immediate success Incitatus credited his pure breeding and unwillingness to listen to "naysayers".

However, Incitatus's time at Apple has not been without controversy. Relations between Apple and Microsft have been strained since Incitatus famous Twitter rant during which he called Bill Gates a "gelding" and referred to Windows 7 as a "lame operating system that needs to be put down." The rant immediatly made Incitatus's feed increasingly popular as he seems willing to give consumers a peak over the fence so they can gain insight into what it's like to run in his shoes. Follow him for yourself on Twitter at @AppleCEOstud. Regardless of what others think Apple's new CEO fancies himself a Stallion in the electronics industry and is focused on helping Apple win the race of tech supremacy.

:D;)

G33kTech

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
I think apple need to state the plans if it wants to protect it's share prices in the future. Reason being is way to much of apple's face is Steve Jobs. One thing I would not want to be holding onto when Steve Jobs dies is AALP stock because it will take a massive nose dive for a while. If plans are put out there it would reduce the fear when it happens some what.

Let's face some facts SJ health is clearly not good and it is never going to be great again. The unspecifided medical leave does not sound good at all.

Ok I dont get all of these predictions of apples stock dropping. Every-time I hear some guy in a fancy suite on TV making predictions about how apple's stock is going to drop I laugh. Apple does not make money because of steve jobs. Apple makes money because they have developed a VERY good software and hardware model that provides media to the media hungry sheeple, and they make it easy.

Apple makes tech easy and good looking, so you dont have to be a geek to use it. This is why so many people buy apples ****! because 90% of the population are not geeks and they suck at using technology. Apple makes it easy for them AND they make it cool AND they have been ranked #1 in customer satisfaction in there field for over 8 years now.

You think papa Joe and mama Sue arnt going to buy the latest ipod for grand daughter jenny because Steve Jobs is no longer the CEO? I highly Fu****** doubt it, Jenny is getting the iPod/iPad/iGizmo for her birthday whether Steve is alive or not.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Ok I dont get all of these predictions of apples stock dropping. Every-time I hear some guy in a fancy suite on TV making predictions about how apple's stock is going to drop I laugh. Apple does not make money because of steve jobs. Apple makes money because they have developed a VERY good software and hardware model that provides media to the media hungry sheeple, and they make it easy.

Apple makes tech easy and good looking, so you dont have to be a geek to use it. This is why so many people buy apples ****! because 90% of the population are not geeks and they suck at using technology. Apple makes it easy for them AND they make it cool AND they have been ranked #1 in customer satisfaction in there field for over 8 years now.

You think papa Joe and mama Sue arnt going to buy the latest ipod for grand daughter jenny because Steve Jobs is no longer the CEO? I highly Fu****** doubt it, Jenny is getting the iPod/iPad/iGizmo for her birthday whether Steve is alive or not.

well there is multiple things I can sight to why I believe AAPL will take a massive noise time in terms of share price on SJ death.
Look at every time he took medical leave the stock dropped quickly. Last time 5% in a single day. On his health concerns during the liver it took a pretty big drop.

So on his death own AAPL not a good idea. Few weeks later good idea to buy after the drop hits as it will go back up but sure as hell would not want to be holding onto it at his death.

Apple should just buy all the shares back and tell the Central Labourers Pension Fund to sod off...

This.

Why does Apple need to make these plans public? I fail to see what the Pension Fund will gain by this being public. Obviously they are too lazy to go to a couple tech websites and read up on the numerous articles on this issue.

The fact that Steve Jobs' health is not good is irrelevant. People act as if he is immortal. He is a human being and will die just like any other human or CEO for that matter. Apple is larger than Jobs.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

All of those things you posted correlate to Steve Jobs influence on Apple's product design as well as his aptitude at making business decisions. Everything from what markets to pursue to what products to cut to design minimalism to that stoplight at the top of iTunes comes from Jobs. Obviously the CEO matters. Look at Microsoft under Ballmer. Look at Apple under Sculley.

All it takes is one successor who makes a few really dumb decisions to derail Apple's momentum and reverse shareholder return. In the case of Apple, since Jobs also atypically acts as a gatekeeper to design, that next CEO also has to be able to do that or there will be a vacuum.

Since Jobs doesn't look to good, I'd be worried if I was expecting my ROI to go up.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Some revolt.

Apple's (AAPL) shareholder meeting got off to a slow start as latecomers filled the company's Town Hall auditorium nearly to capacity.

CNBC's Jon Fortt reported shortly after 1:00 p.m. EST that COO Tim Cook, not Steve Jobs, had taken the stage and was introducing the board of directors.

The most controversial shareholder proposal -- that Apple adopt a detailed succession plan -- came up about 20 minutes later. According to the representative of the Central Laborers' Pension Fund who introduced it, Proposal No. 5 did not require the company to name names, she said, so management's fears about the proposal were unfounded.

But a preliminary proxy count suggested that the proposal had been defeated, as expected and as Apple had recommended.

All seven board members -- including Jobs -- were reelected.

A shareholder who wished Jobs the best and looked forward to seeing him next year drew a big applause.

Another shareholder questioned the 30/70 split that is part of Apple's new subscription plan, suggesting that by reducing its cut the company could play a part in keeping newspapers alive.

Asked about the charges raised in "The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs," Mike Daisey's monologue critical of the working conditions in Apple's supple chain, Cook replied, according to Fortune's Adam Lashinsky: "If it's not on ESPN or CNBC, I don't see it."

By 2:15, the BBC's Maggie Shiels reported, the meeting was "all done and dusted."

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
The fact that Steve Jobs' health is not good is irrelevant. People act as if he is immortal. He is a human being and will die just like any other human or CEO for that matter. Apple is larger than Jobs.

And that is why they need to get the plan out. Way to many act that way and believe Apple will fail with out him.
If Apple wants to protect its stock prices from a very huge nose dive they would want to do it. It will be a bad nose dive no matter how they cut it but at least this way it better.

If anything Apple needs to lay down plans to start phasing Jobs out as CEO. The worse thing for Apple as a company and stock is Jobs to die while he is CEO. I have a feeling only way he will leave Apple is in a coffin.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
And that is why they need to get the plan out. Way to many act that way and believe Apple will fail with out him.
If Apple wants to protect its stock prices from a very huge nose dive they would want to do it. It will be a bad nose dive no matter how they cut it but at least this way it better.

If anything Apple needs to lay down plans to start phasing Jobs out as CEO. The worse thing for Apple as a company and stock is Jobs to die while he is CEO. I have a feeling only way he will leave Apple is in a coffin.

I disagree. Those that need to know about their plans know. To think they don't have a plan is naive. The market has handled each of his leaves with surprising calm.

Despite all the market turmoil over Libya, AAPL is up about $4.00 today.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.