PDA

View Full Version : quick Myst IV question

phreakout13
Feb 12, 2005, 03:59 PM
Hello:) I just bought Myst IV and I was wondering if I'll have had to play the previous 3 to understand what was going on in the game. If this is the case, where should I go to read about what happened in the other three? Thanks :)

killmoms
Feb 12, 2005, 05:07 PM
Hello:) I just bought Myst IV and I was wondering if I'll have had to play the previous 3 to understand what was going on in the game. If this is the case, where should I go to read about what happened in the other three? Thanks :)
At this point, yes, it's very likely you'd need to have played the other three to understand this one.

And no, I won't help you find synopses. The joy of the MYST series is the unfolding storyline revealed in each game. You really should play the other ones first. And considering you can get all three for $20, why haven't you?

Littleodie914
Feb 12, 2005, 05:17 PM
At this point, yes, it's very likely you'd need to have played the other three to understand this one.

And no, I won't help you find synopses. The joy of the MYST series is the unfolding storyline revealed in each game. You really should play the other ones first. And considering you can get all three for $20, why haven't you?Ouch, harsh :rolleyes:

You shouldn't have a lot of trouble understanding it, just Google it and see what kind of "story overviews" or what-not you can come up with. I played the first hour or so of it, and it wasn't that bad at all. Certainly not as confusing (story-wise) as the first Myst!

Dr. Dastardly
Feb 12, 2005, 05:49 PM
To me they all seem to be built around the first game anyway. Red book blue book ect. ;)

killmoms
Feb 14, 2005, 10:24 AM
Ouch, harsh :rolleyes:
I can't help it he doesn't have the patience to get into perhaps the most detailed universe in the computer gaming world. Between the games and the books, I find the D'ni populated Earth to be very compelling (especially during the whole development of Uru as a multiplayer gameóbeta tested it, was quite a shame to see that part eliminated).
To me they all seem to be built around the first game anyway. Red book blue book ect.
Vast oversimplification. The first game only involved introducing the story of Atrus and his sons. The larger struggle involving Ghen was only fleshed out in Riven (and the books, which were fantastic).

Macnoviz
Jul 2, 2006, 11:05 AM
I can't help it he doesn't have the patience to get into perhaps the most detailed universe in the computer gaming world. Between the games and the books, I find the D'ni populated Earth to be very compelling (especially during the whole development of Uru as a multiplayer gameóbeta tested it, was quite a shame to see that part eliminated).

Isn't Middle Earth the most detailed univers in computer gaming world?
Most of it never makes it to the actual games, but even the Silmarillion describes a bigger world, not to mention the encyclopedic History of Middle Earth in 6 volumes

killmoms
Jul 2, 2006, 11:38 AM
Ooh, necromancy! The distinction I'd draw there is that Middle Earth wasn't conceived as a gaming universe, but a literary one that has then been adapted for games. D'ni is one of the more detailed universes created specifically for interactive gaming, which then crossed over into written fiction and such.

As for Middle Earth, I've never had much love for Tolkein outside of The Hobbit, so I just find D'ni more preferable because it speaks to me more. :)