Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
I have recently resurrected my old 400Ghz G4 PowerMac with the hopes of selling it for a few bucks. It had two HDD's in it, but unfortunately the one that was my OS9 boot disc died. I no longer have the OS9 discs so I pulled the dead drive, and did a fresh install of Tiger on the other one.

ll seems well, boots fine, apps run fine. However as it does not have an airport card I am attempting to share internet from my MBP via the ethernet. I have sharing enabled, a cable connected between the machines and the G4 shows a healthy connection but alas - no internet. :(

Not sure what to do here. I've tried the normal dodo stuff like rebooting the G4 with the ethernet cable connected, renewing the DHCP lease, etc. but to no avail.

What am I missing? :confused:

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
I have recently resurrected my old 400Ghz G4 PowerMac with the hopes of selling it for a few bucks. It had two HDD's in it, but unfortunately the one that was my OS9 boot disc died. I no longer have the OS9 discs so I pulled the dead drive, and did a fresh install of Tiger on the other one.

ll seems well, boots fine, apps run fine. However as it does not have an airport card I am attempting to share internet from my MBP via the ethernet. I have sharing enabled, a cable connected between the machines and the G4 shows a healthy connection but alas - no internet. :(

Not sure what to do here. I've tried the normal dodo stuff like rebooting the G4 with the ethernet cable connected, renewing the DHCP lease, etc. but to no avail.

What am I missing? :confused:

Can you give more details on the precise settings for the MBP and the G4 (How is the network configured)?

Does the G4 show its IP as being a self-assigned IP?

Cheers

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Maybe your network isn't setup yet to use another system which is often just a routers setting like "Number of addresses" on my linksys routers main setup area in the browser interface.

Either that or your Sawtooth has dead ethernet which I highly doubt as these are about the most reliable Mac ever made. That can be fixed with a PCI ethernet card or USB ethernet adapter. Both would be 10-15 on ebay.

Or just sell as is..

Last edited:

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Can you give more details on the precise settings for the MBP and the G4 (How is the network configured)?

Does the G4 show its IP as being a self-assigned IP?

Cheers

Thanks for the reply, but I am going to have to table this issue until next month. I'm heading out of town tomorrow and don't have time to hook the G4 back up to answer that question. I will either resurrect this thread when I get back or PM you.

Maybe your network isn't setup yet to use another system which is often just a routers setting like "Number of addresses" on my linksys routers main setup area in the browser interface.

I don't think that is it (unless I am misunderstanding your question) as my home network currently supports two MBP's and a Mac mini all wirelessly. I've never had any connection issues with those or other visiting computers. I've also never had any issues running a straight ethernet connection right out of it on occasion (I would try this with the G4 except my router isn't really located conveniently for me to do so).

Either that or your Sawtooth has dead ethernet which I highly doubt as these are about the most reliable Mac ever made. That can be fixed with a PCI ethernet card or USB ethernet adapter. Both would be 10-15 on ebay.

Or just sell as is..

I'm hoping its not the latter. The G4 sees the connection via ethernet and tells me I am connected to the internet. I just can't get any apps to actually "go online". I am trying to sell the machine and even if the parts are $10-15....the machine is only worth maybe $40-50 tops. :eek:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Does the ethernet show up in the system profiler? If you see it there then it's active and works. Also look in the network pane in system preferences to check it's set to be used. Normally it detects that automatically but you never know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.