Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albbreinholt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I'm trying to help my cousin set up his new dental practice with audio and video equipment. He wants two sources and individual volume control in each room. I'm trying to find a nice way to do this for not a lot of money. Does anyone have experience with this? I could use some help finding the right components.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I'm trying to help my cousin set up his new dental practice with audio and video equipment. He wants two sources and individual volume control in each room. I'm trying to find a nice way to do this for not a lot of money. Does anyone have experience with this? I could use some help finding the right components.

Is there any existing equipment to work with or is this all fresh? Also, what is the budget? Does he want Audio and Video in each room or just audio? What kind of media is to be streamed (TV, music, radio, DVDs, CDs, Existing media - think itunes)?

albbreinholt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I know he wants a tv in the front lobby but I think he wants to be able to choose between the tv audio or music up there. In the back he wants to be able to play pandora from one of the macs to all the individual rooms with a volume control in each room. I believe this is new construction so there is nothing existing to go from.

Thanks for the help.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I know he wants a tv in the front lobby but I think he wants to be able to choose between the tv audio or music up there. In the back he wants to be able to play pandora from one of the macs to all the individual rooms with a volume control in each room. I believe this is new construction so there is nothing existing to go from.

Thanks for the help.

People have been doing this for decades. The conventional way is a 70 volt transformer based distribution system. Is there reason not to use this?

Here is a simple Intro. But if he wants volume control in each room then add a simple l-pad to each speaker
http://www.horrorseek.com/home/halloween/wolfstone/Audio/spk70v_70VoltSpeakers.html

mroddjob

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
this isn't too difficult to do, there are many ways of doing it.

The way i would do it is with airport expresses and small hi-fi/speaker systems. If you put an airport express into each room they are all capable of receiving a steam from the imac. You then plug the airport express into a hi-fi which will give you control over the volume in each room.

In the waiting room you would also have the same setup and also plug the tv audio output into the hi-fi, then someone can choose the tv or the airport express as the source.

Airports only technically stream from itunes but you can buy a cheep app called airfoil which will stream music from any program i.e pandora.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.