Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smalss

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Just wondering if anyone can give me step by step instructions on how to install Windows 7 natively on my 13" 2010 Macbook Pro. I just don't like wasting space having a OSX bootcamp partition.
Any info will help. Thanks.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Are you talking about having windows only? If so, just put in the windows install disk. Otherwise, your only option to run it natively and still have OS X is using bootcamp.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
There is really nothing special about a BootCamp partition, you can use it just like any other partition, and it doesn't waste space. You can install Windows directly to this partition, or use the BootCamp utility to make it easier and prevent installing to the OS X partion (a common mistake).

If you don't want OS X installed at all on your disk (i.e. a regular Windows machine), simply run the Windows installation disk and format the entire disk as NTFS and install. You will still need to insert your OS X disk after Windows is installed to load some motherboard specific hardware drivers, the same as any other computer or motherboard install which come with their specific disk.

Smalss

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I thought there was more too it. Simple enough. Lets say down the road I want to go back to OSX, would I have any issues reformatting and going back to OSX? Or is it a simple boot from the OSX disk and install?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
You could do that, although you would lose any data you have saved on windows. I'd still recommend keeping a small (~20GB) OS X partition to just make it easier and set windows as your boot drive.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I thought there was more too it. Simple enough. Lets say down the road I want to go back to OSX, would I have any issues reformatting and going back to OSX? Or is it a simple boot from the OSX disk and install?

Sounds like you're making things harder than they need to be.

Just create a Boot Camp partition that is like 300GB - install Windows, then only boot to that. OS X will still be there, but you don't have to use it if you don't want. Then if you chose to go back it's just a matter of booting into it and blowing away the Boot Camp partition after backing up any files you want to keep.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA

If someday you want to go back to OS X and blow away your Windows installation, simply boot from the OS X disk, at the installation screen, select Disk Utility from the toolbar at the top of the screen, partition and format the disk for OS X, then exit Disk Utility and proceed with the OS X installation.

However ... I am in full agreement with the other posters in that I would maintain a dual boot system with a small OS X installation and set the default boot to Windows if that is your desire. That way, you could still boot into OS X for software and firmware updates as needed. You would only need about 15 GB for the OS X minimal partition and could use the rest of the disk for Windows.:)

-howard

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Note too that, unlike Windows, OS X is perfectly happy booting from USB and FireWire hard drives.

If you really want to keep your options open use CCC or SuperDuper to create a bootable clone of your current OS X partition on an external HDD and boot from that if you ever need OS X for some fleeting reason (firmware update, etc...).

B

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
If someday you want to go back to OS X and blow away your Windows installation, simply boot from the OS X disk, at the installation screen, select Disk Utility from the toolbar at the top of the screen, partition and format the disk for OS X, then exit Disk Utility and proceed with the OS X installation.

However ... I am in full agreement with the other posters in that I would maintain a dual boot system with a small OS X installation and set the default boot to Windows if that is your desire. That way, you could still boot into OS X for software and firmware updates as needed. You would only need about 15 GB for the OS X minimal partition and could use the rest of the disk for Windows.:)

-howard

wait can't you just use bootcamp again to remove the partition.... or is the disk utility much more "safer" ??

Smalss

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks for all the quick replies. Sounds like keeping a bootcamp partition of OSX is the smart play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.