PDA

View Full Version : New features on the Lion preview page

Ambrose Chapel
Feb 24, 2011, 07:41 AM
Airdrop, mail 5, resume, versions...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/lion/

Blue Velvet
Feb 24, 2011, 07:47 AM
Thanks. Has Auto Save been discussed for a while? From the sounds of it, sincerely hope that can be disabled.

paddyhazard
Feb 24, 2011, 07:48 AM
It also says developers can download the preview now but that still links through to the snow leopard download.

Kahnyl
Feb 24, 2011, 07:49 AM
Server's built right in? So a family pack would do me for my MacBook and my mini server? Excellent. I was expecting to pay around 700 for both.

Ambrose Chapel
Feb 24, 2011, 07:55 AM
It also says developers can download the preview now but that still links through to the snow leopard download.

engadget says you have to get it from the app store...not sure if that's where you were looking

paddyhazard
Feb 24, 2011, 08:07 AM
engadget says you have to get it from the app store...not sure if that's where you were looking

Oh yea, i just read that on their press release. An OS downloads and updates through the app store? Hopefully a sign of simpler things to come. I was just wondering in another thread if it's worth becoming a member of the Mac OS developer program as i'd like to play around more with objective c development and it works out as only slightly more than what a mac os usually costs (~60 here) and you get to try it early.

How do most developers usually run a brand new os preview? In bootcamp, in parallels or on a dedicated mac?

zorinlynx
Feb 24, 2011, 08:13 AM
Looks like Lion is going to be awesome, and not be "turned into iOS" like so many people have been worrying about.

Can we stop worrying now and go back to enjoying our Macs? :)

talmy
Feb 24, 2011, 09:52 AM
Looks like Lion is going to be awesome, and not be "turned into iOS" like so many people have been worrying about.

Features do seem to be optimized for the small screen (witness that the preview page uses a MacBook Air). How does all this work out if you have a 27" iMac and/or a second monitor? If everything wants to run full screen on my iMac it sort of negates having all that screen area that can allow viewing multiple apps at once.

And Mail 5 looks overly simplistic. Where is the pane showing multiple mail folders? A why would I want an email message that appears physically larger than a sheet of paper?