Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gofre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Hi all,
Since buying my first Mac in January, I've come to feel somewhat dismayed about the prospect of losing Expose to Mission Control when Lion is released. I'm not a heavy multitasker, normally having only 2 or 3 Safari windows open alongside a small number of applications. Expose is great for me, so the stacking feature of Mission Control is not something that will benefit me, and will simply add on another step to finding the right Safari window which kind of defeats the purpose of using it in the first place. However I've recently watched the video on Apple's page for OS X Lion outlining some of the new gestures, and noticed that MC's gesture differs from Expose's; a three-finger upward swipe rather than a four-finger downward one. I know Apple never expressly said that MC is a replacement for Expose, but that was the natural conclusion people arrived at. Could I be right in thinking that it may continue to live in Lion?

Any thoughts are welcome [=

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Expose isn't going away. It's just one of the functions being wrapped into Mission Control, along with Spaces, Dashboard, and Full-Screen Apps.

jW

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Expose isn't going away. It's just one of the functions being wrapped into Mission Control, along with Spaces, Dashboard, and Full-Screen Apps.

jW

The way Mission Control shows the windows is what irks me the most. The windows are stacked. That'd be much harder to find the window I'm looking for. Remember Flip 3D? Same thing.

Gofre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011

jW

It's this condensing which I don't like. Like Simplicated said, it's the stacking in particular which is counter-intuitive to what I use Expose for.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Ah, I see what you mean now. Actually, I think I remember seeing in the preview that there was the normal Expose behavior we're used to from Snow Leopard, and then also this new stacked view when you activate the Mission Control view. I suspect you'll still be able to use it the way you do in Snow Leopard if you wish. I guess that we don't know for sure yet, though.

jW

cksubs

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
Unfortunately the 10.5 style Expose will almost certainly not be coming back in Lion. Too bad, its 'organic' sorting style is soooo much better than the strict grid of Snow Leopard.

Luckily you can revert Snow Leopard back to the good version, really easily. Directions here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/869611/

Gofre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Unfortunately the 10.5 style Expose will almost certainly not be coming back in Lion. Too bad, its 'organic' sorting style is soooo much better than the strict grid of Snow Leopard.

Luckily you can revert Snow Leopard back to the good version, really easily. Directions here:

How did Leopard's expose differ from SL's? I'm new to macs this year so I don't know what I'm missing, but have no problems with SL's expose at all.

cksubs

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
Every version below leopard shrunk each window proportionally. So your nearly-full-screen browser window ended up really big in the Expose showcase, while a small notepad remained small. It then fit the many mismatched windows into kind of a 'puzzle' of many different sized squares so it could display everything at once.

In Snow Leopard, every Window gets shrunken to the exact same size and lined up unnaturally in a strict grid. The result is that it's MUCH harder to find any particular window. You can't base your search on relative window size, as they've all been equalized. It also seems as if each window travels farther to fit into the grid, so you can base it less on physical location too. There's really no benefit.

cawas

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2010

Or here, even easier: http://superuser.com/questions/118424/old-leopard-expose-on-snow-leopard-for-mac/212717#212717 But I'm so sad this will hardly work on lion! :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.