Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
UK
I have XBMC on an ATV2 and my movies on a Time Capsule. I have added an smb share to XBMC and it works....but I get buffering on a lot of files, together with audio/video losing sync (before it buffers). These are SD DVD encodes, not HD files.

Now, I am going to try an ethernet cable rather than wireless, BUT having spent all morning reading the XBMC forums, I think this is an XBMC issue with smb shares from Apple networking products.

I can option-drag the movies into iTunes on my Macbook (so the files are still on the Time Capsule), and then use the standard ATV interface to play the files on the ATV2 flawlessly: even though this must be doubling the wireless data transfer (TC -> Macbook iTunes -> back to TC -> ATV2). So: the bottleneck is not the wireless network.

Some people on the XBMC forums are not having issues, and there's some suggestion that if the smb share is from a Windows machine it works, but that the Apple/Airport/Timecapsule implementation of smb is causing a bottleneck.

So I thought I'd ask here: has anyone with this setup (TimeCapsule, or airdisk attached to Airport Extreme) managed to get reliable streaming to XBMC on an ATV2?

Is it possible to use a different protocol such as afp?

kjenyg

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
Im having sort of the same issues. I have a airport extreme with a 1tb WD attached. When adding the disk a source from the Airport Extreme it lags & buffers constantly. But when I add the same share via windows smb it plays smooth. Annoying!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.