Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Apologies if this has been answered before (I'm sure someone must have asked it), but haven't seen anything conclusive with a search.

I am interested in registering on an Apple Developer Program, partly as I'm interested in programming for a Mac, but mainly so I can download Lion!

1. Is the Lion developer preview stable enough to be used as a primary OS for a non-intensive user?

2. Are 3rd party UDID registration websites such as imodzone.com an accepted method of circumventing Apple's Developer Program? If I register with them, is there a chance Apple could 'blacklist' me or are there any other potential implications? I'm not asking for assistance doing this, just for an understanding of where these services sit in the community.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Apologies if this has been answered before (I'm sure someone must have asked it), but haven't seen anything conclusive with a search.

I am interested in registering on an Apple Developer Program, partly as I'm interested in programming for a Mac, but mainly so I can download Lion!

1. Is the Lion developer preview stable enough to be used as a primary OS for a non-intensive user?

No. Beta versions of the OS should never, ever be your primary OS. Use it only for development/testing, but not as your primary OS. Especially since you are a novice at this point.

2. Are 3rd party UDID registration websites such as imodzone.com an accepted method of circumventing Apple's Developer Program? If I register with them, is there a chance Apple could 'blacklist' me or are there any other potential implications? I'm not asking for assistance doing this, just for an understanding of where these services sit in the community.

Never heard of them, but I don't really see any need for it? Why are you looking into something like that?

jW

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
NNever heard of them, but I don't really see any need for it? Why are you looking into something like that?

It is so I can register my UDID so I can download Mac/iOS betas without forking out the full price of an Apple Developer Program membership. It is simply a dev buying in bulk and reselling UDID registration slots I think.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
It is so I can register my UDID so I can download Mac/iOS betas without forking out the full price of an Apple Developer Program membership. It is simply a dev buying in bulk and reselling UDID registration slots I think.

There is no such thing as UDID registration for Mac OS betas. The Lion beta setup program is tied to an App Store account; this is different than how iOS betas work.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

You should have never started to think about getting the beta OS at the very beginning. This is a beta OS, it's buggy and you will scream if you use it as your primary OS. It's intended for developers to test, report bugs of and develop for it. Can't you just wait a little longer so you get a fully functional, refined Lion experience?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

There is no UDID. The registered developer gets one unique redemption code that is entered in the Mac App Store. The Lion installer is then downloaded. Any computers on which Lion is installed must be authorized with the App Store account used to download it.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
You should have never started to think about getting the beta OS at the very beginning. This is a beta OS, it's buggy and you will scream if you use it as your primary OS. It's intended for developers to test, report bugs of and develop for it. Can't you just wait a little longer so you get a fully functional, refined Lion experience?

Totally understand, but I'm just entertaining my inner geek wishing to try out the new stuff, even if it means reverting back to what works and is reliable a week later! Thinking of it like that, £60 for Developer Program is probably not money very well spent.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Totally understand, but I'm just entertaining my inner geek wishing to try out the new stuff, even if it means reverting back to what works and is reliable a week later! Thinking of it like that, £60 for Developer Program is probably not money very well spent.

£60 is not that much.... I've paid £120 for access to both Mac and iOS developer programs.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
There is no UDID. The registered developer gets one unique redemption code that is entered in the Mac App Store. The Lion installer is then downloaded. Any computers on which Lion is installed must be authorized with the App Store account used to download it.

This sounds an awful lot like Windows activatation... Is Apple going to require that copies of Lion be "activated"?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
This sounds an awful lot like Windows activatation... Is Apple going to require that copies of Lion be "activated"?

99.99% chance no. They've always done this for iOS betas (not in the same way but the same idea) and then the GM removes it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
99.99% chance no. They've always done this for iOS betas (not in the same way but the same idea) and then the GM removes it.

True but iOS is a different animal.

I guess we'll just have to see. I was really hoping activation would remain a windows-only annoyance. We have a lab full of Macs here and I bang-head-on-desk at the thought of having to deal with it for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.