PDA

View Full Version : AD - OD sync advice

osxman1970
Feb 24, 2011, 10:22 AM
Hi,

We have an active directory network with over 1000 users. Last year we got 10 imacs and an xserve with OSX 10.5 for a music project . I set up OD and created users, etc. As it was only a small group of selected users I manually did this and they changed the password to the same as their AD accounts when they logged in for the first time. Now, the imacs have proved very popular and we are now getting quite a few more for Media, Art and graphics, which means a lot of students will now be logging into macs as well as PCs.

What is the best way to sync user accounts from AD into OD? I was hoping that I could still bind the imacs to the OD directory server and get the xserve to sync with my AD server to save me the hassle of manually creating accounts. Hope this makes sense.

TIA

calderone
Feb 26, 2011, 10:46 AM
Look into the Cylinder of Destiny/Golden Triangle.

In this scenario you use AD for authentication and OD for computer/user management. This would be the best way to do what you are trying to do.

Alternatively, use AD alone and use something like Casper from JAMF or Absolute Manage.