PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade straight from OSX Leopard to Lion?

olivercross
Feb 24, 2011, 11:50 AM
It may sound a bit of a dumb question to some, but I won't need to upgrade to snow leopard to upgrade to lion will I, I can upgrade straight from leopard to lion when its released in the summer?

LoganT
Feb 24, 2011, 11:51 AM
It may sound a bit of a dumb question to some, but I won't need to upgrade to snow leopard to upgrade to lion will I, I can upgrade straight from leopard to lion when its released in the summer?

Yes.

talmy
Feb 24, 2011, 12:28 PM
Really?

The Beta developer version is being distributed via Mac App Store. Lion might be distributed the same way (remember that Apple wants to remove software from their stores). In that case you would need Snow Leopard to access the Mac App Store to get Lion.

Mal
Feb 24, 2011, 12:58 PM
Really?

The Beta developer version is being distributed via Mac App Store. Lion might be distributed the same way (remember that Apple wants to remove software from their stores). In that case you would need Snow Leopard to access the Mac App Store to get Lion.

The developer preview is distributed that way because developers know how to burn the image onto a disk and get it working that way. The average consumer won't know how or want to do that. There will be a retail disk. It will allow for upgrades directly from Tiger or Leopard in addition to Snow Leopard. After all, Apple will have stopped selling Snow Leopard on the day that Lion is released.

You can quote me on that.

jW

chris h 1997
Jun 6, 2011, 12:57 PM
The developer preview is distributed that way because developers know how to burn the image onto a disk and get it working that way. The average consumer won't know how or want to do that. There will be a retail disk. It will allow for upgrades directly from Tiger or Leopard in addition to Snow Leopard. After all, Apple will have stopped selling Snow Leopard on the day that Lion is released.

You can quote me on that.

jW

Looks like it's only available as a download from the App Store. Sucks for those of us with Leopard.

10:38 am Available for everyone else in July
10:38 am New dev preview today.
10:37 am $29.99
10:37 am Buy once. Install on all macs like all Mac app store apps.
10:37 am 4Gb
10:37 am Lion available only on Mac App Store

Zoddino
Jun 6, 2011, 12:59 PM
and what happens with those who want to clean install it?

KJmoon117
Jun 6, 2011, 01:09 PM
and what happens with those who want to clean install it?

Perhaps Apple will allow us to burn whatever we DL from the Mac App Store onto a DVD for that purpose. If not... good question.

HONDAxACURA
Jun 6, 2011, 01:16 PM
+1 for clean install... I definitely hope you can burn it onto a CD. but not complaining too much, $29!!!!!

tollickd
Jun 6, 2011, 01:36 PM
I live in Cyprus and we don't have access to the app store here so this means i will have to miss out on it until Apple pull its finger out

chris h 1997
Jun 6, 2011, 01:37 PM
+1 for clean install... I definitely hope you can burn it onto a CD. but not complaining too much, $29!!!!!

I agree $29 is a great deal. I'm guessing you could make an install CD or even an install flash drive. Maybe similiar to flash drive setup for Snow Leopard.

http://www.maciverse.com/install-os-x-snow-leopard-from-usb-flash-drive.html

Rob.G
Jun 6, 2011, 01:51 PM
I won't be upgrading to Lion if they don't release a DVD version. I can't be doing repeated 4-gig downloads over my slow-ass Verizon 3G connection. It just isn't gonna happen. A 4 gig download, assuming I can even get it done without the connection dropping repeatedly (not likely), will take several DAYS.

WTF are they thinking? Not everybody has a OC-3 internet connection.

Rob

Tulpa
Jun 6, 2011, 01:53 PM
Looks like it's only available as a download from the App Store. Sucks for those of us with Leopard.

10:38 am Available for everyone else in July
10:38 am New dev preview today.
10:37 am $29.99
10:37 am Buy once. Install on all macs like all Mac app store apps.
10:37 am 4Gb
10:37 am Lion available only on Mac App Store

Also sucks for those of us without broadband connections. :mad:

poobear
Jun 6, 2011, 02:16 PM
I won't be upgrading to Lion if they don't release a DVD version. I can't be doing repeated 4-gig downloads over my slow-ass Verizon 3G connection. It just isn't gonna happen. A 4 gig download, assuming I can even get it done without the connection dropping repeatedly (not likely), will take several DAYS.

WTF are they thinking? Not everybody has a OC-3 internet connection.

Rob
Everyone certainly don't have a slow-ass 3G connection as their only way to access the Internet.

gonutsfordonutz
Jun 6, 2011, 02:48 PM
i have the same question. from the lion page on the actual apple site it looks like you need snow leopard to get lion.
i do not have snow leopard, and wasnt planning on getting it. i wanted to skip from leopard to lion.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/

ttttaylor
Jun 6, 2011, 03:30 PM
my girlfriend and i are both having negative feelings about this...

she, like many others, has been chilling with Leopard and was going to just go straight to Lion. as you all know, that can't happen now.

so now it seems we have to get one of the last 15 snow leopard discs our local best buy has, just so that she can upgrade a month later? not your coolest move, apple.

i just got a new imac last month so i don't have THAT problem, but even still the lack of disc is really worrying me.

it almost seems like a "!@$ you" to those who haven't bought every upgrade or new mac that has come out recently. i'd be pretty pissed off if i bought a $3k mac pro w/ leopard and was now being told that wasn't good enough for a $29 OS.

/rant

Sky Blue
Jun 6, 2011, 03:47 PM

she, like many others, has been chilling with Leopard and was going to just go straight to Lion. as you all know, that can't happen now.

so now it seems we have to get one of the last 15 snow leopard discs our local best buy has, just so that she can upgrade a month later? not your coolest move, apple.

i just got a new imac last month so i don't have THAT problem, but even still the lack of disc is really worrying me.

it almost seems like a "!@$ you" to those who haven't bought every upgrade or new mac that has come out recently. i'd be pretty pissed off if i bought a $3k mac pro w/ leopard and was now being told that wasn't good enough for a $29 OS.

/rant

You can buy 10.6 here:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MAC_OS_X_SNGL?mco=MTM3NTI5NDI

If you haven't upgraded your OS in 2 years, yes, you'll have to spend $29 on SL first. Is that really a big deal?

Mcubed45
Jun 6, 2011, 03:54 PM
For those with Leopard, you may want to double check your processor. If I read the system requirements correctly, you need to have an Intel core 2 Duo processor or newer to run Lion. That may very well rule out some of the older machines out there.

Bear
Jun 6, 2011, 03:55 PM
it almost seems like a "!@$ you" to those who haven't bought every upgrade or new mac that has come out recently. i'd be pretty pissed off if i bought a $3k mac pro w/ leopard and was now being told that wasn't good enough for a $29 OS..Would you rather Apple continue to charge $129 for Mac OS that you could use to upgrade from any version? That's the other choice.

So would you rather pay $29 each for Snow Leopard and Lion or $129. Do the math, then buy the needed upgrades.

ttttaylor
Jun 6, 2011, 03:56 PM
You can buy 10.6 here:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MAC_OS_X_SNGL?mco=MTM3NTI5NDI

If you haven't upgraded your OS in 2 years, yes, you'll have to spend $29 on SL first. Is that really a big deal?

at the end of the day, Leopard users who want Lion will buy the Snow Leopard disc first and it won't be the end of the world. that doesn't mean it was the right thing for apple to do.

this is the first time they've not done a disc with OS X, and i can't help but think, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

ttttaylor
Jun 6, 2011, 04:00 PM
Would you rather Apple continue to charge $129 for Mac OS that you could use to upgrade from any version? That's the other choice.

So would you rather pay $29 each for Snow Leopard and Lion or $129. Do the math, then buy the needed upgrades.

I think I came off too harsh in my original post... :(

No, $29 for SL isn't a big deal, it just would've been better to avoid the whole thing by having a Lion disc.

i shall say no more!

qacjared
Jun 6, 2011, 04:30 PM
at the end of the day, Leopard users who want Lion will buy the Snow Leopard disc first and it won't be the end of the world. that doesn't mean it was the right thing for apple to do.

this is the first time they've not done a disc with OS X, and i can't help but think, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Everyone is forgetting the Mac Box Set. It was apple's solution to Tiger users who never went to leopard, why not continue on with it? They upgraded it for iLife '11 so it must have sold enough for them to keep it around. When Lion drops, don't be surprised if a new Mac Box Set with Lion, iLife '11, and iWork '11 drops (iWork Apps Demoed today use Lion APIs, so there are unreleased versions that presumably will be release with or after lion. )

gameface
Jun 6, 2011, 04:38 PM
What makes you guys think your computer will even be Lion compatible?

gonutsfordonutz
Jun 6, 2011, 04:43 PM
What makes you guys think your computer will even be Lion compatible?

i have a 2008 mac book pro with leopard. on the apple screen it says that "Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor to run Lion. Find out if your current Mac has one of these processors by clicking the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, then choosing About This Mac."

my mac has a intel core 2 duo processor. therefore it should be lion compatible.

chris h 1997
Jun 6, 2011, 05:00 PM

/rant

Download Lion to your Mac and then you can put it on a disk or flash drive and install it on her machine. My daughter has a Snow Leopard iMac so that's going to be my solution to get Lion on my Core2Duo MacBook Pro.

gameface
Jun 6, 2011, 05:04 PM
i have a 2008 mac book pro with leopard. on the apple screen it says that "Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor to run Lion. Find out if your current Mac has one of these processors by clicking the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, then choosing About This Mac."

my mac has a intel core 2 duo processor. therefore it should be lion compatible.

Not just you, the rest of the cry babies in here. They didn't want to spend the crazy $29 for SL and now they are crying because they can't upgrade to Lion. Maybe they should remember when upgrading our OS used to cost us $129. :eek:

chris h 1997
Jun 6, 2011, 05:11 PM
Not just you, the rest of the cry babies in here. They didn't want to spend the crazy $29 for SL and now they are crying because they can't upgrade to Lion. Maybe they should remember when upgrading our OS used to cost us $129. :eek:

For some of us it's not a case of not wanting to spend $29, it's the amount of work involved for a minor update. I like to do a clean install and I have a Boot Camp partition so I'm not only installing all my Mac programs from scratch but the Windows stuff as well. I couldn't justify spending the time when Leopard was working just fine. If I want to use iCloud though, which I do because MobileMe is going away, I'm going to have to do the upgrade.

joelovesapple
Jun 6, 2011, 07:44 PM
Didn't anyone watch the keynote?

They say you only need to download it ONCE.
;)

Icy1007
Jun 6, 2011, 07:59 PM

No

svsmailus
Jun 8, 2011, 12:18 PM
The Day Lion is released SL will cease to be distributed?

Does anyone really think that apple are only going to sell Lion to a few who have SL? I don't think so! They'll have other means for folks to upgrade. Of course I seriously doubt it'll be $29!

phpmaven
Jun 8, 2011, 12:34 PM

What are they thinking? Not everybody has a OC-3 internet connection.

Rob

Your main connection to the internet is 3G? Wow, that gotta hurt!

roland.g
Jun 8, 2011, 12:42 PM
For a clean install, Lion downloads and makes a partition for the installer.

If you remember, whenever you upgrade to 10.5, 10.6, etc., you boot from the install disc. If you want to do a clean install, you pause the installer, run disc utility, and wipe the drive first.

Same for 10.7, except the disc it boots from is your 10.7 partition instead of the optical drive. Pretty simply really. Apple is just saying that a 4GB partition will always be reserved for Lion.

My guess is that they will most likely release 10.7 on disc for those with connection issues, other countries not participating in the App Store, and people wanting to upgrade from 10.5. But it might come at $49, $79, or $99 price tag.

BlackMangoTree
Jun 8, 2011, 12:45 PM
Download it from the MAS then burn to dvd or restore to a HDD and install. No need to have Snow Leopard.

If you reinstall from the recovery partition it needs to re download the OS, so stupid.

Apple really need to make any easy UI for people to follow so they can burn the OS to DVD.

lewis82
Jun 8, 2011, 12:46 PM
Download it from the MAS then burn to dvd or restore to a HDD and install. No need to have Snow Leopard.

Good luck, the MAS is Snow Lep only :rolleyes:

BlackMangoTree
Jun 8, 2011, 12:49 PM
Good luck, the MAS is Snow Lep only :rolleyes:

lol sorry, mental blank.

Find someone who has SL and download it from them.

Apple really need to support Leopard users better.

baryon
Jun 8, 2011, 01:03 PM
For those wondering, you can reinstall Lion from the restore partition. This means that the partition actually contains the entire installer, not just a few utilities. I think the recovery partition is equivalent to a DVD.

wikus
Jun 8, 2011, 01:10 PM
For those wondering, you can reinstall Lion from the restore partition. This means that the partition actually contains the entire installer, not just a few utilities. I think the recovery partition is equivalent to a DVD.

What if I don't want another partition take up precious space on an SSD?

BlackMangoTree
Jun 8, 2011, 01:14 PM

When installing Lion from the recovery partition it needs to download, unfortunately it's not the full OS. I think this is so stupid.

The recovery partition is about 1.4gb

fiatlux
Jun 9, 2011, 10:43 AM
Well, they will have to allow for alternative installs, as some countries have no MAS access, and some computers are not even networked, let alone connected to Internet. You might argue there is no pressing need to upgrade to Lion either, especially if you're not connected...

The MAS has its own adgantages: cheap price and installs on as many computers as you have. Since I have three Macs at home, that's nice, although Apple should have found a clever way to avoid having to download software on each individual computer when they are on the same LAN/WLAN. Maybe combine the MAS and AirDrop, or use an Airport Extreme/Time Capsule as MAS proxy?

Meyvn
Jun 9, 2011, 11:00 AM
You can install Lion on an empty drive; so of course you can go straight from Leopard. Heck, you should be able to go straight from Tiger.

MacManiac76
Jun 9, 2011, 11:25 AM
You can install Lion on an empty drive; so of course you can go straight from Leopard. Heck, you should be able to go straight from Tiger.

Except you have to have a machine somewhere with Snow Leopard to download Lion from the Mac App Store.

m18981
Jun 9, 2011, 06:15 PM
Everyone certainly don't have a slow-ass 3G connection as their only way to access the Internet.

Every one go to a local apple store and dwload in their wifi ,if its left unsecure:D

joelovesapple
Jun 9, 2011, 06:21 PM
Well, they will have to allow for alternative installs, as some countries have no MAS access, and some computers are not even networked, let alone connected to Internet. You might argue there is no pressing need to upgrade to Lion either, especially if you're not connected...

The MAS has its own adgantages: cheap price and installs on as many computers as you have. Since I have three Macs at home, that's nice, although Apple should have found a clever way to avoid having to download software on each individual computer when they are on the same LAN/WLAN. Maybe combine the MAS and AirDrop, or use an Airport Extreme/Time Capsule as MAS proxy?

You only need to download it ONCE!!! I mentioned this above :rolleyes:

baryon
Jun 10, 2011, 04:30 AM
When installing Lion from the recovery partition it needs to download, unfortunately it's not the full OS. I think this is so stupid.

The recovery partition is about 1.4gb

Ohhh... Well that's either good or bad... I mean it's good because it won't take up 4.5 GB on your system, but that isn't so much space. It still beats having to keep a DVD safe somewhere at all times. On the other hand, I think I would feel better if I just had the entire installer on my recovery partition. That way we wouldn't have to wait hours before being able to fix the computer. Either way, it's still a useful feature...

BlackMangoTree
Jun 10, 2011, 04:43 AM
For a clean install, Lion downloads and makes a partition for the installer.

If you remember, whenever you upgrade to 10.5, 10.6, etc., you boot from the install disc. If you want to do a clean install, you pause the installer, run disc utility, and wipe the drive first.

Same for 10.7, except the disc it boots from is your 10.7 partition instead of the optical drive. Pretty simply really. Apple is just saying that a 4GB partition will always be reserved for Lion.

The recovery partition is about 1.4 gb's if you do a clean install it needs to re-download. Thats how it's n Lion DP, SO STUPID.

Apple better offer an official way to burn Lion to DVD otherwise i can see so many unhappy people. Apple support will be in overdrive.

dekadent
Jun 10, 2011, 04:48 AM
The swedish edition of IDG has an article on how to install OS X Lion. Apparently the author mailed Steve Jobs, and the reply was that Snow is needed to upgrade to Lion.

Article in Swedish, look for the mail from Jobs near the end of the article.

http://www.idg.se/2.1085/1.390250/sa-installerar-man-om-mac-os-x-lion

dekadent
Jun 10, 2011, 04:50 AM
What if I don't want another partition take up precious space on an SSD?

I don't think its possible to install Lion without this partition being created automatically. Anyone know for sure?

iradhwan
Jun 10, 2011, 05:27 AM
I think apple must make another app store on leopard to make us upgrade to lion.

BlackMangoTree
Jun 10, 2011, 06:42 AM
Not being able to do a clean install without some minor hacking is so stupid from Apple.

macman312
Jun 19, 2011, 08:35 PM
<>

jayhawk11
Jun 19, 2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah I agree with that but it MAY/MAY NOT work because of privacy laws and s*** etc. Between me and my family we have a '06 macbook pro 15" with leopard, a 2007 macbook with leopard (which I replaced with a '11 macbook pro so I may/may not upgrade), a '08 macbook with leopard and a '09 mac mini with leopard, a '09 macbook pro with snow leopard and a '11 macbook pro with snow leopard and thats just the ones we are gonna (and are capable of a) upgrade. When I realised lion was only $31.95 (I live in Australia) I was happy till I realised I'd have to upgrade twice and make the cost more to:

Snow leopard=$29.95 x3=89.95
Lion= $31.95 x 5=$159.95

total AU$249.00

C'mon apple I have been a loyal customer for years having bought at least a computer a year since '06. If you can't distribute it with a USB I will be a little annoyed. I mean why must can't you have app store and stores apart from anything else your resellers will make a loss not selling as much software.

You're an idiot.

Snow Leopard Family Pack: $69.99 (AUD) Link (http://store.apple.com/au/searchresult?p=MC574Z/A&ra=2&r=/au/product/MC574Z/A%3Fmco%3DMTY3ODQ5OTY&t=snow+leopard)

Lion (Which is a family pack by default): $31.95 (AUD)

$101.94 to upgrade every computer in sight. Next time, do a little research before you post.

imacipad
Aug 9, 2011, 01:52 PM
Quite frankly, anyone who supports this limited upgrade option by Apple is an idiot. It;s fine for those with access to broadband, but a lot of countries around the world don't have good broadband network, and many that do charge horrendously for bandwidth. Plus users should not be forced to upgrade to SL if they are still running L, just to get app store access - heck, SL has only been around a short time, and L is still working fine for many uses. Looks like some users will have no choice but to download an ISO from the darknet... :(

eddieeckhardt
Aug 16, 2011, 02:13 AM
I tested the install on 10.5.8 (leopard) successfully. However, if direct from Leopard, you will need to erase your HDD and install Lion fresh.. otherwise upgrade to SL first (the retail version.. not the OEM)

First expand and burn the content of the .app to a dvd (.app or .dmg will not work during boot obviously)

Second, press and hold C immediately upon booting and choose erase disk at the utility menu.

Third, install Lion. That's it.

LABachlr
Oct 13, 2011, 03:38 PM
I tested the install on 10.5.8 (leopard) successfully. However, if direct from Leopard, you will need to erase your HDD and install Lion fresh.. otherwise upgrade to SL first (the retail version.. not the OEM)

First expand and burn the content of the .app to a dvd (.app or .dmg will not work during boot obviously)

Second, press and hold C immediately upon booting and choose erase disk at the utility menu.

Third, install Lion. That's it.

I just bought Lion and burned it to DVD via this method:

http://lifehacker.com/5823096/how-to-burn-your-own-lion-install-dvd-or-flash-drive

I successfully upgraded from Snow Leopard to Leopard via this DVD. Now I'd like to update my older system running Leopard directly to Lion. So you're saying that I'm going to have to do the following?

1. Backup data via Time Machine
2. Boot from the Lion DVD by holding down the C button immediately upon starting the computer with the DVD in it
3. Once booted from it, go to Disk Utility and erase the disk
4. Install Lion on erased disk
5. Import data and settings from the Time Machine backup using migration assistant
6. Done

Is that right? Am I missing anything?

So I can't boot from the DVD and upgrade directly from Leopard to Lion? I have to do a clean install of Lion on to the disk after I erase it?

Slysandrou
Oct 19, 2011, 09:39 AM
hi folks
Ok I'm not an expert. my main concern about upgrading to snow Leopard is the gut who had this mac book pro seemed to have lost some of the registration details and licence numbers for the software I have on the machine. when installing with products like Adobe need to be re installed or re registered, as I fear risk loosing them!

Thanks Steve

talmy
Oct 19, 2011, 10:16 AM
hi folks
Ok I'm not an expert. my main concern about upgrading to snow Leopard is the gut who had this mac book pro seemed to have lost some of the registration details and licence numbers for the software I have on the machine. when installing with products like Adobe need to be re installed or re registered, as I fear risk loosing them!

Thanks Steve

My experience was that I didn't have to reregister anything, and that includes Adobe CS5, Microsoft Office 2011, Parallels, and a bunch of smaller apps. Be more concerned that you have software that might use Rosetta (not in Lion) or otherwise don't work in Lion without paid upgrades. I had several of those.

Slysandrou
Oct 19, 2011, 10:51 AM
My experience was that I didn't have to reregister anything, and that includes Adobe CS5, Microsoft Office 2011, Parallels, and a bunch of smaller apps. Be more concerned that you have software that might use Rosetta (not in Lion) or otherwise don't work in Lion without paid upgrades. I had several of those.

Thanks for the advice, I'm not familiar with rosetta, but from a quick search i can see it is a bolt on software. I have a mac book pro, and only really use adobe and ms office so hope that this will be ok.

Cheers
Steve

techmonkey
Nov 15, 2011, 02:19 PM
This thread has me confused. Can you in fact do a clean install of Lion from Leopard?

talmy
Nov 15, 2011, 02:37 PM
You can do a clean install of Lion. "From Leopard" doesn't matter for a clean install, which wipes out whatever might be there.

For the lowest upgrade cost you need to borrow a system with Snow Leopard, go to the App Store and buy Lion. Then you extract the Lion image from the downloaded package and burn it to a DVD. You then boot the DVD on the system you want to do the clean install on, wipe the disk, and do the install.

There are instructions on the web on how to extract the Lion image, and there is certainly a link to it earlier in this thread.

techmonkey
Nov 15, 2011, 03:47 PM
You can do a clean install of Lion. "From Leopard" doesn't matter for a clean install, which wipes out whatever might be there.

For the lowest upgrade cost you need to borrow a system with Snow Leopard, go to the App Store and buy Lion. Then you extract the Lion image from the downloaded package and burn it to a DVD. You then boot the DVD on the system you want to do the clean install on, wipe the disk, and do the install.

There are instructions on the web on how to extract the Lion image, and there is certainly a link to it earlier in this thread.

Yes, I plan on extracting the Lion install to a flash drive and doing a clean install, overwriting my Leopard install. I also have Win7 installed on a Boot Camp partition. Will that be untouched an will I be able to use it after installing Lion? I also would like to resize my OSX partition so I can increase my Bootcamp partition. Should this be done before installing Lion?