PDA

View Full Version : Download lion without being a developer?

yanksrock100
Feb 24, 2011, 02:30 PM
Is there anyway to do this thats not hacking/and or illegal?:apple:
Also, does anyone know where I could get the Lion wallpaper (mountain)?

Thanks

SDub90
Feb 24, 2011, 02:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No. You have to pay the $100/yr fee for the Mac dev program.

celticpride678
Feb 24, 2011, 02:32 PM
Legally? No. Illegally, most likely in a few hours.

rorschach
Feb 24, 2011, 02:38 PM
Legally? No. Illegally, most likely in a few hours.

Most likely not. You need to enter a unique redemption code from your developer account in the Mac App Store. And then any computer you install it on has to be logged in and authorized with your App Store account.

lulla01
Feb 24, 2011, 03:40 PM
i was wondering the same thing you are man

Zackmd1
Feb 24, 2011, 07:41 PM
i was wondering the same thing you are man

Same here! I want to try out lion but Im not a developer. I wish apple would do it like windows and let anyone try the beta...:apple:

lulla01
Feb 24, 2011, 07:47 PM
i cant post links here but it has been posted online, not sure how its going to work as far as authentication goes and all but being the first release id hold off for a few days

Ahheck01
Feb 24, 2011, 11:49 PM
You always run a risk trying it without going through the legit dev process. If you choose that risk, you can easily find links via search.twitter.com

celticpride678
Feb 25, 2011, 01:25 AM
Developer preview has been posted online. Search for it if you really want.

Pinksteady
Feb 25, 2011, 03:18 AM
Developer preview has been posted online. Search for it if you really want.

Yeah the image has been uploaded online. However I'm still unsure about the activation. You have to enter a unique redemption code in the App Store to download the preview from Apple, but downloading elsewhere skips that step so is there a further activation required once Lion is installed or can anyone just install Lion once they have got hold of a copy?

nonameowns
Feb 25, 2011, 03:41 AM
anything can be pirated

careful when you go on that path though

ct2k7
Feb 25, 2011, 05:27 AM
All I will tell you is that it has been cracked, and tested. There are at least two torrents, and at least two direct HTTP links, and one direct FTP link.

AAPLaday
Feb 25, 2011, 05:29 AM
All I will tell you is that it has been cracked, and tested. There are at least two torrents, and at least two direct HTTP links, and one direct FTP link.

And how do you find Lion then, are you happy with it? :D

ct2k7
Feb 25, 2011, 05:30 AM
And how do you find Lion then, are you happy with it? :D

So far, so good. But no Dropbox, and Parallels Desktop 6.

It seems to be good so far, had Mail 5 crash this early morning, and things seem stable.

Most of my apps run :), e.g. Zend Studio, Textual, Microsoft Office 2011, Keynote. iTunes library hasn't suffered.

After the initial boot, sound was defective. A reboot cured this.

iPhoneCollector
Feb 25, 2011, 05:31 AM
Same here! I want to try out lion but Im not a developer. I wish apple would do it like windows and let anyone try the beta...:apple:

and make your computer useless after one year. go Microsoft

AAPLaday
Feb 25, 2011, 05:50 AM
So far, so good. But no Dropbox, and Parallels Desktop 6.

It seems to be good so far, had Mail 5 crash this early morning, and things seem stable.

Most of my apps run :), e.g. Zend Studio, Textual, Microsoft Office 2011, Keynote. iTunes library hasn't suffered.

After the initial boot, sound was defective. A reboot cured this.

Sweet. My 1st gen alu iMac is going to be replaced soon. Might wait till Lion comes out and pick up one of the new iMacs then. Im assuming it wont be £30 like Snow Leopard.

ct2k7
Feb 25, 2011, 05:58 AM
Sweet. My 1st gen alu iMac is going to be replaced soon. Might wait till Lion comes out and pick up one of the new iMacs then. Im assuming it wont be £30 like Snow Leopard.

Go up a bit, and you'll probably get there :)

AdrianK
Feb 25, 2011, 11:13 AM

Giving away a beta version of the OS that expires after a year is better than charging $100 for a beta version of the OS. I know, they're the dev account not the beta itself, but I'm talking about regular users (eg non-developers).

Anyone who willingly keeps a beta version of an OS is a crackhead, but MS has to impose a time limit because otherwise people wont upgrade and then complain how buggy it is.

tl;dr: Microsoft's betas are free, Apple's aren't. Time limits are irrelevant.

antmarobel
Feb 25, 2011, 12:45 PM
I'm downloading it via http, third part of eight...Hope everything's will work fine :D

poobear
Feb 25, 2011, 12:50 PM

It is not cracked. Inside the legally downloaded file is a .dmg, that .dmg requires has been shared and it can be installed from without any restriction, online checks etc.

vincenz
Feb 25, 2011, 12:51 PM
Why would you want it anyway? It's buggy and slow. Just wait for the final version.

csnplt
Feb 25, 2011, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't download the pirated version if I were you. It's very possible that other malicious programs have been added. There's a very real possibility of having your information stolen / other bad stuff.

Plus, it's illegal. Just join the dev program for $100. This might actually be cheaper than buying lion once it comes out (most past OS X releases have been priced at $129). I'm pretty sure you'll get access to the golden master version, too, once it's ready.

axu539
Feb 25, 2011, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't download the pirated version if I were you. It's very possible that other malicious programs have been added. There's a very real possibility of having your information stolen / other bad stuff.

Plus, it's illegal. Just join the dev program for $100. This might actually be cheaper than buying lion once it comes out (most past OS X releases have been priced at $129). I'm pretty sure you'll get access to the golden master version, too, once it's ready.

Can you confirm that you get access to the public release (with regular updates and all) if you sign up for the dev program? I'm itching to pull the trigger on that right now, but only if I can get out of beta and into public release afterward.

csnplt
Feb 25, 2011, 02:18 PM
Can you confirm that you get access to the public release (with regular updates and all) if you sign up for the dev program? I'm itching to pull the trigger on that right now, but only if I can get out of beta and into public release afterward.

I just signed up for the dev program myself. There are download links for the full, final versions of Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Server, so I assume that once Lion is available to the general public, the final release will also be available, free for mac dev program members.

It seems to me like $99 is a great deal, especially with a free lion download for all of your machines.

ct2k7
Feb 25, 2011, 02:41 PM
It is not cracked. Inside the legally downloaded file is a .dmg, that .dmg requires has been shared and it can be installed from without any restriction, online checks etc.

I am saying that the legally downloaded file has been cracked, and the installer checked.

cav23j
Feb 25, 2011, 03:05 PM

it won't be more then $100
or else people would just join the dev program
$79 or cheaper

csnplt
Feb 25, 2011, 03:09 PM
it won't be more then $100
or else people would just join the dev program
$79 or cheaper

Keep in mind that you can install the build from the mac dev program on all of your computers. Technically, you'll probably have to buy a family pack or multiple single-user copies once the final version is available in stores.

Who knows what Apple's planning on doing, though.

nomar383
Feb 25, 2011, 04:09 PM
Do you have to do a fresh install for lion?

If not, can you restore from time machine?

Cougarcat
Feb 25, 2011, 04:19 PM
Do you have to do a fresh install for lion?

If not, can you restore from time machine?

No, but I wouldn't recommend it since it's a beta.

Yes, you can restore from TM.

yanksrock100
Feb 25, 2011, 07:17 PM
what if you download one of the non developer, then want to go back to snow leopard?
I dont have time machine.

celticpride678
Feb 25, 2011, 07:21 PM
what if you download one of the non developer, then want to go back to snow leopard?
I dont have time machine.

Your best bet is to partition your hard drive and install Lion on it, keeping Snow Leopard on the other partition.

appleguy123
Feb 25, 2011, 08:51 PM
Your best bet is to partition your hard drive and install Lion on it, keeping Snow Leopard on the other partition.

Can you please tell me how to do that? Is it as simple as:
-Download Lion
-Partition in Disk Utility
-Install of new partition

or is it something different I need to do? Is there any risk of data loss?

celticpride678
Feb 25, 2011, 08:55 PM
Can you please tell me how to do that? Is it as simple as:
-Download Lion
-Partition in Disk Utility
-Install of new partition

or is it something different I need to do? Is there any risk of data loss?

Yes, that's all you have to do. There's always a risk of data loss, so you should probably back everything up first.

appleguy123
Feb 25, 2011, 08:58 PM
Yes, that's all you have to do. There's always a risk of data loss, so you should probably back everything up first.

How many Gigabytes do you think that partition should be?

celticpride678
Feb 25, 2011, 09:00 PM
How many Gigabytes do you think that partition should be?

I gave 25 GB and still have 9 GB free. A minimum 10 GB is required.

appleguy123
Feb 25, 2011, 09:05 PM

How do I switch back and forth? Sorry, I'm not a new OS X user, I've just never had two OS's at once.

celticpride678
Feb 25, 2011, 09:07 PM
How do I switch back and forth? Sorry, I'm not a new OS X user, I've just never had two OS's at once.

By default, Lion will be the OS that the computer will boot into. To choose, hold down the alt button directly after hearing the startup chime and use the arrow keys to choose what drive you want to boot into.

To change back to Snow Leopard as being the OS the computer boots into, change the Startup Disk in System Preferences.

Sky Blue
Feb 25, 2011, 09:13 PM

you're really better off just waiting until the public release. If you don't know what you're doing you're going to mess something up.

yanksrock100
Feb 25, 2011, 10:01 PM
you're really better off just waiting until the public release. If you don't know what you're doing you're going to mess something up.

Thats what im gonna do.

Steve Ballmer
Feb 25, 2011, 10:16 PM
It's beta software, it wouldn't be good practice to have it run forever.

Have you forgotten that Apple once time-bombed the Mac OS X Public Beta?

Steve Ballmer
Feb 25, 2011, 10:18 PM
I was actually able to install a minimal Lion setup to my old 8 GB iPod nano. Unchecking everything except the essential OS services can get Lion down to about 6 GB. With everything checked, it's about 9 GB.

axu539
Feb 25, 2011, 11:46 PM
I was actually able to install a minimal Lion setup to my old 8 GB iPod nano. Unchecking everything except the essential OS services can get Lion down to about 6 GB. With everything checked, it's about 9 GB.

Using an iPod as a bootable drive will kill the drive very quickly, since they're not designed for that many read/writes so quickly.

Steve Ballmer
Feb 26, 2011, 12:24 AM
Using an iPod as a bootable drive will kill the drive very quickly, since they're not designed for that many read/writes so quickly.
I know, I didn't actually use it. It was just to see if I actually COULD do it, though.

Besides, it was an old 8 GB nano that I haven't used in years.

Dranix
Feb 26, 2011, 06:10 AM

It is *no* beta. Itís a very early developer preview to test applications on it and start work on Lion-compatibility.

ct2k7
Feb 26, 2011, 06:30 AM
It is *no* beta. Itís a very early developer preview to test applications on it and start work on Lion-compatibility.

I suppose one could even call it alpha, since we've gone past Milestones.

iDisk
Feb 26, 2011, 08:28 AM

Thanks

Wow downloading a developer preview OS just for the wallpaper???????? Give me a break, kid. Let the devs debug the OS so when you get the finial release you can enjoy the software and your wallpaper.

besides if you looked at the lion forum, the flower and mt.fuji wallpaper have been already uploaded ;)

Apple should have raised the developer minimum buy in for the Mac Community and the iOS community. It's about about quality not wallpapers.

why do you think windows is a terrible platform? because anyone is allowed to develop for it. People need to understand that trust is a big part of the dev community.

Apple should re consider their approach to allowing people to just download seed builds just to violate the NDA's.

sux2beyou
Feb 26, 2011, 08:36 AM
Can someone post a checksum of the official .dmg?

ct2k7
Feb 26, 2011, 08:57 AM
:)why do you think windows is a terrible platform? because anyone is allowed to develop for it.

What.

iDisk
Feb 26, 2011, 09:06 AM
:)

What.

I was saying Apple should be more strict on who downloads the seeds, like I've mentioned in other post, the minimum developer price should be $1000, this will ensure proper investment and better quality of apps.

Windows suffers from a lack of quality management and engineers and the community they attract reflects that. no one cares about quality, and I feel Apple has been slipping into that realm since the SL release.

Apple needs quality apps and not many apps. the ratio of quality verse trash is growing in apples stores for apps.

celticpride678
Feb 26, 2011, 10:25 AM

I suppose one could even call it alpha, since we've gone past Milestones.

It's not an alpha build and it's not an early developer preview. Apple thinks that this build is stable enough for developers to begin testing their applications on Lion, meaning that it is between a developer preview and final release.

An alpha build means that most of the functionalities are broken, which they aren't in Lion.

Michaelgtrusa
Feb 26, 2011, 10:26 AM
I was saying Apple should be more strict on who downloads the seeds, like I've mentioned in other post, the minimum developer price should be $1000, this will ensure proper investment and better quality of apps.

Windows suffers from a lack of quality management and engineers and the community they attract reflects that. no one cares about quality, and I feel Apple has been slipping into that realm since the SL release.

Apple needs quality apps and not many apps. the ratio of quality verse trash is growing in apples stores for apps.

Apple needs quality hard ware and trusted suppliers to deliver it. Companies like LG have made a mockery of American technology by selling cheap and inconsistent panels and Apple sells and lies to he public regarding such matters. My biggest concern with macs are software conflict and HD fail.

ct2k7
Feb 26, 2011, 11:21 AM

Sound better that what one might have thought you meant.

It's not an alpha build and it's not an early developer preview. Apple thinks that this build is stable enough for developers to begin testing their applications on Lion, meaning that it is between a developer preview and final release.

An alpha build means that most of the functionalities are broken, which they aren't in Lion.

Actually, the terms are relative, and neither you or I can be certain where the heck this is in the development cycle. This might even be a Release Candidate or dare I say, Gamma release. Could it be beta? Alpha contains the processes of Milestones.

The problem with these terms, is, as I've said, it's relative to a whole load of other things.

Alpha does not necessarily mean that functionalities are broken, it depends on where it is within the milestone cycle of project management.

It's complex. I wish I could draw a picture, but I can't right now.

yanksrock100
Feb 26, 2011, 12:17 PM
Wow downloading a developer preview OS just for the wallpaper???????? Give me a break, kid. Let the devs debug the OS so when you get the finial release you can enjoy the software and your wallpaper.

besides if you looked at the lion forum, the flower and mt.fuji wallpaper have been already uploaded ;)

Apple should have raised the developer minimum buy in for the Mac Community and the iOS community. It's about about quality not wallpapers.

I didnt want for the wallpaper, it was a separate question.

iDisk
Feb 26, 2011, 12:22 PM
I didnt want for the wallpaper, it was a separate question.

Just in case.;)

Now you can act like you have Lion.

AdrianK
Feb 26, 2011, 12:35 PM

Christ, you're annoying.

You feel that *somehow* Apple are being wronged by the all the people pirating the beta, as to why, I can't begin to imagine. If people want to play with buggy software, who are you to take an extremely condescending tone and tell them not to? Not only that but you're having a go at someone for something they didn't say, because you can't comprehend what they've written.

ct2k7
Feb 26, 2011, 12:50 PM
Christ, you're annoying.

You feel that *somehow* Apple are being wronged by the all the people pirating the beta, as to why, I can't begin to imagine. If people want to play with buggy software, who are you to take an extremely condescending tone and tell them not to? Not only that but you're having a go at someone for something they didn't say, because you can't comprehend what they've written.

People are breaking the law, not that it doesn't happen anyway.

AdrianK
Feb 26, 2011, 12:54 PM
People are breaking the law, not that it doesn't happen anyway.

Right, but the person that iDisk's post was directed at never said he/she pirated it. iDisk didn't even mention piracy in their post.

billyjoegibsonx
Feb 26, 2011, 01:09 PM
Legally the only way to get it is to pay yourself into the developer program! Illegally? I don't think I can say, but it is out there. Isn't hard to find. You can install it fine, but don't waste 3.34GB of your internet downloading it. It's buggy and unstable. I tried it out and I think Ill stick with SL for now :)

CristobalHuet
Feb 26, 2011, 01:13 PM
Oh look here, the whining parade has arrived.

ct2k7
Feb 26, 2011, 01:28 PM
Right, but the person that iDisk's post was directed at never said he/she pirated it. iDisk didn't even mention piracy in their post.

It was more aimed at people breaching the terms of the NDA they signed electronically.

KiDo
Feb 26, 2011, 01:29 PM
I just got it, from a place i will not mention here:cool:

Did not get it to pirate anything, just to see how the new features work, made a quick partition on my HD and tested it out, installed like a charm, and works fine, it's definitely unstable and there are still a lot of apps that won't work like they should, but it gives me a good view of what's coming :)

I'd say good work apple, i love the switching between apps in full screen with the swipes, magic!

Steve Ballmer
Feb 26, 2011, 01:39 PM
why do you think windows is a terrible platform? because anyone is allowed to develop for it. People need to understand that trust is a big part of the dev community.

Uh... What? And only certain people can develop for Mac OS X?

iDisk
Feb 26, 2011, 01:40 PM
christ, you're annoying.

You feel that *somehow* apple are being wronged by the all the people pirating the beta, as to why, i can't begin to imagine. If people want to play with buggy software, who are you to take an extremely condescending tone and tell them not to? Not only that but you're having a go at someone for something they didn't say, because you can't comprehend what they've written.

apple lion dev forums... Check them out

right, but the person that idisk's post was directed at never said he/she pirated it. Idisk didn't even mention piracy in their post.

nda's are being breached plain and simple

it was more aimed at people breaching the terms of the nda they signed electronically.

thanks man for understanding and seeing what im saying:)..... Apple could easily remedy this by charging a $1000 premium to become a developer for Mac or iOS

iDisk
Feb 26, 2011, 01:44 PM
Uh... What? And only certain people can develop for Mac OS X?

Yea only certain people who know cocoa and objective-c can develop for the Mac. So what's your argument?

Steve Ballmer
Feb 26, 2011, 01:46 PM
Yea only certain people who know cocoa and objective-c can develop for the Mac. So what's what's your argument?
You said Windows is a terrible platform because anyone can develop for it. And yet anyone who knows Cocoa and Objective-C can develop for Mac OS X.

Although I see later on you clarified what you were saying.

iDisk
Feb 26, 2011, 01:50 PM
You said Windows is a terrible platform because anyone can develop for it. And yet anyone who knows Cocoa and Objective-C can develop for Mac OS X.

Although I see later on you clarified what you were saying.

Thanks for being someone who reads and not just reacts. :)

yanksrock100
Feb 26, 2011, 03:00 PM
I just got it, from a place i will not mention here:cool:

Did not get it to pirate anything, just to see how the new features work, made a quick partition on my HD and tested it out, installed like a charm, and works fine, it's definitely unstable and there are still a lot of apps that won't work like they should, but it gives me a good view of what's coming :)

I'd say good work apple, i love the switching between apps in full screen with the swipes, magic!

No problems installling?

KiDo
Feb 26, 2011, 04:22 PM
No problems installling?

Nope, i ran into some problems partitioning at first, but that was quickly resolved through disk utilitys' repair disk.

After partitioning i installed, gave me an error the first time, right when it was supposed to be finished. Second time ran smooth and installed perfectly :)

satyrica
Feb 26, 2011, 04:26 PM
Most likely not. You need to enter a unique redemption code from your developer account in the Mac App Store. And then any computer you install it on has to be logged in and authorized with your App Store account.

Once obtained, it can be installed without restriction. Machines do not have
to be authorized or logged in. Stop the scare tactics...

ct2k7
Feb 26, 2011, 04:29 PM

Are you a member of the developer program?

satyrica
Feb 26, 2011, 04:39 PM
I am saying that the legally downloaded file has been cracked, and the installer checked.

There is nothing to crack in the "legally downloaded file". It's simply a 3.6gb app with a non copy-protected/non-encrypted .dmg inside. Once had, install at will...

satyrica
Feb 26, 2011, 04:41 PM
Are you a member of the developer program?

Doesn't matter if I am or not. It can and has been installed on non-dev
machines and people with non-dev affiliation. What's your point?

ct2k7
Feb 26, 2011, 04:44 PM
There is nothing to crack in the "legally downloaded file". It's simply a 3.6gb app with a non copy-protected/non-encrypted .dmg inside. Once had, install at will...

Doesn't matter if I am or not. It can and has been installed on non-dev
machines and people with non-dev affiliation. What's your point?

Evidently you are unaware that the primary wrapper had authentication tokens and receipts in it.

I am aware of the second. Having been with the people who have removed the receipts from the file, I know what has been going on.

yanksrock100
Feb 26, 2011, 06:23 PM

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Thats one of my main questions. :cool:

Plymouthbreezer
Feb 26, 2011, 08:02 PM
Wow downloading a developer preview OS just for the wallpaper???????? Give me a break, kid. Let the devs debug the OS so when you get the finial release you can enjoy the software and your wallpaper...
I agree with you overall, but I think you're being a tiny bit harsh/elitist in many regards.

If someone wants to pay $100 for a buggy OS, and have no intentions of developing programs for it, it should be their right. Just because this "kid" downloads it for the wallpaper, doesn't mean the quality of the OS will be degraded for legit developers / programmers.

Dranix
Feb 26, 2011, 08:09 PM
Not directly, but by breaking NDA thereís always the possibility that Apple makes it worse for legit developers to protect itís plans.

csnplt
Feb 26, 2011, 08:25 PM
Can someone post a checksum of the official .dmg?

Here's the md5:

59e428cd766dbd93137d8350827dcb56

Michaelgtrusa
Feb 26, 2011, 09:56 PM

I see no probs with Apple allowing everyone to download seeds of Lion as it aids in better QT and helps pull out the bugs. So much can be avoided this way.

Michaelgtrusa
Feb 26, 2011, 10:11 PM
I hear that Lion phones home to Apple.

Cougarcat
Feb 26, 2011, 10:24 PM

Anonymously, for bug report purposes.

yanksrock100
Feb 26, 2011, 10:28 PM
apple will know if you download if being a non developer?

Cougarcat
Feb 26, 2011, 10:45 PM

No.

Einz
Feb 26, 2011, 10:52 PM
Anonymously, for bug report purposes.

It phones home a few times when you run the installer. I have no idea if it is anonymously or not?

silvirain
Feb 27, 2011, 12:03 AM
I'm not a developer and I was invited by Apple to participate in the seed.:confused:

Steve Ballmer
Feb 27, 2011, 12:42 AM
Sort of. It contacts swscan.apple.com, but apparently this is only used to send various system statistics and things like that. There is no personally identifiable information being sent.
No, nor do they care. The iPolice will not show up at your door.

sux2beyou
Feb 27, 2011, 01:28 AM
Here's the md5:

59e428cd766dbd93137d8350827dcb56

Thanks! The version I got from the Internet has the same md5.

phpmaven
Feb 27, 2011, 10:46 AM

If saying "legally downloaded" helps sooth your conscience, that's fine. But don't kid yourself, if are downloading it from anywhere other than a developer account, it's illegal period.

Sort of. It contacts swscan.apple.com, but apparently this is only used to send various system statistics and things like that. There is no personally identifiable information being sent.

No, nor do they care. The iPolice will not show up at your door.

I don't think it's fair to say that "they don't care". Apple knows that they can't stop pirating from happening, but they certainly do care, which is why they have been forcing the takedown of videos showing Lion in the past couple of days.

ct2k7
Feb 27, 2011, 10:58 AM
If saying "legally downloaded" helps sooth your conscience, that's fine. But don't kid yourself, if are downloading it from anywhere other than a developer account, it's illegal period.

I downloaded it from the App Store.

phpmaven
Feb 27, 2011, 11:07 AM
I downloaded it from the App Store.

My bad, I didn't read your post carefully enough.

ct2k7
Feb 27, 2011, 11:09 AM
My bad, I didn't read your post carefully enough.

No problem :)

Musubi
Feb 27, 2011, 01:00 PM
I'm not a developer and I was invited by Apple to participate in the seed.:confused:

FYI, Apple's customer software seeding program (AppleSeed) is separate from the developer program so you do not have to be a developer for AppleSeed.

That program tries to select customers from a wider demographic. Periodically, current participants are allowed to refer others into the program (up to the customer seeding program manager to act on that info). Other times, a seeds project manager will randomly (based on info gleamed from product registrations) invite customers to test out software.

If you receive an invite out of the blue, act on it and don't lose it (by being an active participant and respecting the CSCA (aka the NDA for AppleSeed participants) because from what I hear, they are not exactly common place (most of us who have been in it for awhile were able to do so via direct contact with Apple engineers and thus, their referral).

jake4ever
Feb 27, 2011, 01:10 PM
I agree with you overall, but I think you're being a tiny bit harsh/elitist in many regards.

If someone wants to pay $100 for a buggy OS, and have no intentions of developing programs for it, it should be their right. Just because this "kid" downloads it for the wallpaper, doesn't mean the quality of the OS will be degraded for legit developers / programmers.

I agree. I downloaded it for fixing bugs, but a lot of people just want it because it's Lion. Who wouldn't want Lion!?

yanksrock100
Feb 27, 2011, 05:21 PM
I agree. I downloaded it for fixing bugs, but a lot of people just want it because it's Lion. Who wouldn't want Lion!?

Haha. I would have dowloaded it just for lion too

Macopotamus
Feb 27, 2011, 06:36 PM

Thanks

wallpapers are being posted in another thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1102028

there's a few turning up

epomqo
Feb 28, 2011, 03:04 AM
lol what's the big deal ?
If you want it, just go to TPB and download it there, or buy it for 100$.
Also, I don't understand why TUAW and Engadget say it's not "available for normal people". If they mean by "normal people" the old grandma who just discovered YouTube, than they are right. But pirates, rich people and developers should have no problem getting their hands on Lion. :cool:

And what really sucks about 10.7 is that the 3-finger-swiping won't bring you to the previous page anymore. It changes the space you are in. I realy hope that they change that to 4-finger-swiping, wich currently has the same propose as 3-finger-swiping. :eek:

You can always change the gesture settings in system preferences -> trackpad, can't you?

tourada
Feb 28, 2011, 12:42 PM
Also, I don't understand why TUAW and Engadget say it's not "available for normal people". If they mean by "normal people" the old grandma who just discovered YouTube, than they are right. But pirates, rich people and developers should have no problem getting their hands on Lion. :cool:

And what really sucks about 10.7 is that the 3-finger-swiping won't bring you to the previous page anymore. It changes the space you are in. I realy hope that they change that to 4-finger-swiping, wich currently has the same propose as 3-finger-swiping. :eek:

You can change it back in trackpad preferences. Or just use the two-finger swipe already built in. You would have to learn a new gesture, but works just the same. It even has the cool animation swipe (three finger does not in this build). If you do want to change it back, just click "Swipe to navigate".

Steve Ballmer
Feb 28, 2011, 05:40 PM

Saying "it's not for normal people" is just their PR way of saying "don't pirate," or something to that effect. It's like how Apple puts "don't steal music" stickers on the iPod. (At least they did last time I bought an iPod.)

steviem
Feb 28, 2011, 05:43 PM
Giving away a beta version of the OS that expires after a year is better than charging $100 for a beta version of the OS. I know, they're the dev account not the beta itself, but I'm talking about regular users (eg non-developers).

Anyone who willingly keeps a beta version of an OS is a crackhead, but MS has to impose a time limit because otherwise people wont upgrade and then complain how buggy it is.

tl;dr: Microsoft's betas are free, Apple's aren't. Time limits are irrelevant.

Not strictly true for this level of beta. The version of Windows 7 beta for public release was more like an RC. You had to be a Technet member to get anything earlier than that (which is more than $100 to my knowledge...)

Steve Ballmer
Feb 28, 2011, 05:48 PM
Not strictly true for this level of beta. The version of Windows 7 beta for public release was more like an RC. You had to be a Technet member to get anything earlier than that (which is more than $100 to my knowledge...)
Yes, TechNet is a bit more than ADC. And actually, having the amount of builds TechNet subscribers get can give you a headache sometimes. Sometimes new builds come so fast by the time you finish installing one, there's a new one to test.

I like Apple's pacing. I think Snow Leopard had a new build every two weeks. That's a fairly good amount of time to do some real evaluation with each build, and it makes it easy to actually see if a particular bug has been fixed or not.

yanksrock100
Mar 1, 2011, 08:37 AM
wallpapers are being posted in another thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1102028

there's a few turning up

Thanks

ozred
Mar 1, 2011, 08:45 AM

Thanks
Pay Apple
Pay Apple
Pay Apple
Pay Apple
Pay Apple

Enjoy breathing while it's still free.

Soon there will be "AN APP FOR THAT"

:)

balamw
Mar 1, 2011, 08:59 AM

MS beta programs are usually invite only (yet still free) up until Beta 2 which is often the first one that gets wider distribution. Even then, there are the folks who are let in to the actual beta program and can report bugs and the folks who are just running it for fun.

You can sign up at http://connect.microsoft.com/

TechNet/MSDN paid programs provide another way to get access to pre-release versions, but are separate from the main beta program.

B

yanksrock100
Mar 13, 2011, 11:30 PM
Saying "it's not for normal people" is just their PR way of saying "don't pirate," or something to that effect. It's like how Apple puts "don't steal music" stickers on the iPod. (At least they did last time I bought an iPod.)

My ipod didnt have a dont steal music sticker, but on the iTunes gift cards, it does say that. :D

triplecore1
Mar 15, 2011, 10:06 PM
So I am confused. I want to try 10.7 and I don't mind paying for it. If I pay the $100 Mac Developer account I will get access to the Beta of 10.7 as well as the Final Version of 10.7 when it comes out?

Lastly, I know its a Beta, but how Beta is it? Many programs are labeled as Betas and don't have any major issues. Anyone using 10.7 as their primary OS?

The only 2 problems I see from the reading is I will lose access to Parallels.

Mr. Retrofire
Mar 16, 2011, 07:45 AM
So I am confused. I want to try 10.7 and I don't mind paying for it. If I pay the $100 Mac Developer account I will get access to the Beta of 10.7 as well as the Final Version of 10.7 when it comes out?

Lastly, I know its a Beta, but how Beta is it? Many programs are labeled as Betas and don't have any major issues. Anyone using 10.7 as their primary OS?

Do not use 10.7 DP, if you are not a developer and if you do not have a separate test-machine! New file system features in 10.7 DP can damage existing HFS+ volumes, so you need a VM or another real machine to be safe.

nomar383
Mar 16, 2011, 09:30 AM

I had to revert back to snow leopard. I like to be on the bleeding edge, but lion was really buggy for me and several critical programs (like Dropbox) were not working 100%.

triplecore1
Mar 16, 2011, 10:03 AM
Ok thanks nomar83 and Mr. Retrofire for your input; I guess I will hold off, until the public release.

WeegieMac
Mar 16, 2011, 12:45 PM
Do not use 10.7 DP, if you are not a developer and if you do not have a separate test-machine! New file system features in 10.7 DP can damage existing HFS+ volumes, so you need a VM or another real machine to be safe.

I ran the Lion DP via an external drive using it's own partition (250GB out of 1TB) and it ran fine other than the usual glitches (Folders opening/closing poorly in Launchpad, etc).

Even having iTunes on Lion look to my internal drive and use my Snow Leopard iTunes library caused me no problems.

yanksrock100
Mar 22, 2011, 09:27 PM
Ok thanks nomar83 and Mr. Retrofire for your input; I guess I will hold off, until the public release.

Same here. Im gonna wait and see.