PDA

View Full Version : Are You Installing 10.7 Dev Preview on Your Primary Machine?

Ahheck01
Feb 24, 2011, 06:43 PM
Considering it. I'm down to one machine, so to test the OS I'd have to replace Snow Leopard. Anyone else doing it, or have already done it?

iPhone1
Feb 24, 2011, 06:47 PM
Considering it. I'm down to one machine, so to test the OS I'd have to replace Snow Leopard. Anyone else doing it, or have already done it?

I have Lion running on my main MBP. No problems so far.

Photshop CS5 works, office for mac 2011 works, Aperture 3 works.

Only thing that does not work is the WebKit nightly build browser, not much of a loss there.

ajvizzgamer101
Feb 24, 2011, 06:55 PM
I will give it a try once I get a Mac Dev account, if anything goes wrong i got Snow Leopard and Time Capsule :)

Phil A.
Feb 24, 2011, 06:58 PM
You can install Lion on an external USB drive and boot into it when you want to try it out, which is what I've done.
I certainly wouldn't recommend using it as your main OS as it's the initial beta and anything could happen with it, including loss of data, etc.

One thing that doesn't work with Lion is Dropbox - Lion just says it's incompatible and you need a newer version (which obviously doesn't exist yet)
Also, no Rosetta in Lion for those who want to run PowerPC apps

stainlessliquid
Feb 24, 2011, 08:54 PM
Ive always had good luck with betas. It doesnt take long before the betas become just as good for most people as the final release.

Applepi
Feb 24, 2011, 09:02 PM
Installed on my Macbook Air. So far, so good.

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 24, 2011, 09:18 PM
Has someone installed it as a "Mac OS X 10.6 Server" 64-Bit "guest" within VMware Fusion v3.x.x?

mmomega
Feb 24, 2011, 09:31 PM
Somewhat. Me and my wife have 2 iMac 27's and I've installed it on my iMac and MBAir 13. One to have during my daily home routine and one to take and test on the go. Also this can give me a side by side comparison when executing the same task between Lion and SL.

CristobalHuet
Feb 25, 2011, 08:23 AM
There's no way I'm going back to Snow Leopard now. Ever. :D

iPhone1
Feb 25, 2011, 08:26 AM

+1
I'm shocked by how stable Lion really is.

Mal
Feb 25, 2011, 08:31 AM
I have a second partition on my drive that I'm going to put it on to test with. I'd use a different machine if I had one, but I still don't want it to be my primary OS on here.

jW

MacsRgr8
Feb 25, 2011, 10:02 AM
Installed on 2008 Mac Pro, no problems.
Installed on 2010 MacBook Pro (which I use more often), no problems so far either, except iCal won't quit...

kendrickhphoto
Feb 25, 2011, 11:10 AM
has someone installed it as a "mac os x 10.6 server" 64-bit "guest" within vmware fusion v3.x.x?

+1

JackieTreehorn
Feb 25, 2011, 12:08 PM
You can install Lion on an external USB drive and boot into it when you want to try it out, which is what I've done.
I certainly wouldn't recommend using it as your main OS as it's the initial beta and anything could happen with it, including loss of data, etc.

One thing that doesn't work with Lion is Dropbox - Lion just says it's incompatible and you need a newer version (which obviously doesn't exist yet)
Also, no Rosetta in Lion for those who want to run PowerPC apps

Change the info.plist in your dropbox-application to version 2.0 and Dropbox works just fine: details are here (http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=33706)

mrblack927
Feb 25, 2011, 12:40 PM
I've got it installed and running on my primary laptop and have no issues. I have a desktop running SL as a fallback in case something that I need isn't compatible but honestly, I don't foresee it being a problem. Apple is the type of company that doesn't release low-quality stuff, even if it is an early beta. :)

GeekOFComedy
Feb 25, 2011, 01:00 PM
I've got it installed and running on my primary laptop and have no issues. I have a desktop running SL as a fallback in case something that I need isn't compatible but honestly, I don't foresee it being a problem. Apple is the type of company that doesn't release low-quality stuff, even if it is an early beta. :)

Ditto'd, there is one small encoding program that doesn't work and my other machine running snow leopard is doing that task. Only used once a week (literally)

Cougarcat
Feb 25, 2011, 01:05 PM
Change the info.plist in your dropbox-application to version 2.0 and Dropbox works just fine: details are here (http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=33706)

Nice. I wonder if there's a similar trick to get safari to work with 1password.

dault2
Feb 25, 2011, 01:12 PM
Running on a partition on my 2010 macbook pro no problem

Cougarcat
Feb 25, 2011, 01:52 PM
BTW, I have it on an external and I've noticed that the finder and spotlight will hang occasionally when trying to access my internal SSD. What happens is that the Finder will actually "eject" the drive. Anyone else?

Definitely gives me pause about installing it on the SSD as the primary OS.

stainlessliquid
Feb 25, 2011, 02:05 PM
Seems to run well, I am struggling with the touchpad gestures though, pinching is buggy and hard to do so having to unpinch with 4 fingers to see the desktop sucks, I liked being able to set that to swipe-up. I also desperately want ALL-windows expose back, the "show apps" expose function is useless. I havent used it much but even VMware Windows 7 works.

Anyone know if you can customize the expose swipes?

What is with all the grey icons? I have to actually look for what I want now. This is terrible UI design, color allowed me to auto-pilot to icons Im familiar with, now they are all identical so you have to actually hunt for the icon you need. For instance it was really easy to pick out the desktop icon in a drop down list since it was the purple square, now its a grey square among other grey squares.

axu539
Feb 25, 2011, 02:08 PM

You'd be surprised. I was running Leopard beta back in the day, and Mail just would not work. It crashed one day, and every time I tried to bring it back up after that would result in me having to force shut down the entire computer. Betas are betas. They're not meant to be perfect.

nathanl1192
Feb 25, 2011, 02:16 PM
I installed it onto a partitioned external hard drive. I am running my primary machine off of it now!

That way I could do a clean install, without losing or risking any of my files! And it works a dream!

DandsM
Feb 25, 2011, 05:24 PM
Guys, I am trying to install 10.7 through VMWare Fusion on my MacBook and it is stuck at the grey boot screen for 20 minutes so far. I think there is a problem, can you help me?

Thanks

antmarobel
Feb 25, 2011, 05:26 PM
Installed over SL. Looks great! but some applications does not work...

Phil A.
Feb 25, 2011, 05:43 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F5166b Safari/6533.18.5)

Guys, I am trying to install 10.7 through VMWare Fusion on my MacBook and it is stuck at the grey boot screen for 20 minutes so far. I think there is a problem, can you help me?

Thanks

It doesn't work in Fusion (as you've found...)

DandsM
Feb 25, 2011, 08:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F5166b Safari/6533.18.5)

It doesn't work in Fusion (as you've found...)

So how can I install it using a VM on Mac? I don't really want to allocate space just for it.

Thanks!

Michaelgtrusa
Feb 25, 2011, 09:05 PM
Installed over SL. Looks great! but some applications does not work...

That was a big gamble i'm not willing to take.

Steve Ballmer
Feb 25, 2011, 09:55 PM
It's the only OS installed on my MacBook. On my iMac, it's installed to an external hard drive.

DandsM
Feb 25, 2011, 09:59 PM
Just installed to an external hard drive, but I really wanted it running in a Virtual Machine. :(

psg0
Feb 25, 2011, 10:36 PM
I have it on my primary machine, but on an external drive. Works nicely on a FW800 connected drive; haven't tested a USB 2.0 boot.

Coasterfanryan
Feb 25, 2011, 11:02 PM
Seems to run well, I am struggling with the touchpad gestures though, pinching is buggy and hard to do so having to unpinch with 4 fingers to see the desktop sucks, I liked being able to set that to swipe-up. I also desperately want ALL-windows expose back, the "show apps" expose function is useless. I havent used it much but even VMware Windows 7 works.

Anyone know if you can customize the expose swipes?

What is with all the grey icons? I have to actually look for what I want now. This is terrible UI design, color allowed me to auto-pilot to icons Im familiar with, now they are all identical so you have to actually hunt for the icon you need. For instance it was really easy to pick out the desktop icon in a drop down list since it was the purple square, now its a grey square among other grey squares.

I feel the same way about the icons. It just looks bland to me. I like a little color to liven it up a little.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

karltc
Feb 26, 2011, 11:11 AM
Does apple push updates normally in their betas?
If I install this on my main laptop, will I have to re-install Lion for every update?

RipeRetina
Feb 26, 2011, 01:42 PM
Do I need a developers account to install lion?

KiDo
Feb 26, 2011, 01:45 PM
I have, just repartitioned my hard drive so i have a 25GB playground :)

Steve Ballmer
Feb 26, 2011, 01:48 PM
Does apple push updates normally in their betas?
If I install this on my main laptop, will I have to re-install Lion for every update?
Probably.
You're supposed to.

newfoundglory
Feb 26, 2011, 02:08 PM
+1

Agreed! Are we actually speaking about Apple here? Have they ever released a pre-beta dev preview that was this stable? :apple:

Just leaves the question as to how feature-complete 11A390 is. Are they suddenly going to swap out the filesystem, implement an Intel/ARM translator for iOS apps or something else? Been looking for clues but nothing yet.....

DandsM
Feb 26, 2011, 03:26 PM

Won't need if you illegally downloaded it.

Dewroo
Feb 26, 2011, 03:30 PM
I'm running Lion as my Primary, no regrets! i love it!

Cougarcat
Feb 26, 2011, 03:39 PM
I'm running Lion as my Primary, no regrets! i love it!

Really? What apps do you use regularly? Lion seems relatively stable, but way too many apps I use every day don't work yet:

-iStat
-Dropbox
-Path Finder
-Steam
-1Password
All those apps would have to be updated before I considered making it primary.

Dewroo
Feb 26, 2011, 04:55 PM
Really? What apps do you use regularly? Lion seems relatively stable, but way too many apps I use every day don't work yet:

-iStat
-Dropbox
-Path Finder
-Steam
-1Password

iStat Widgets work, and thats all the iStat i need. i don't use dropbox, pathfinder, or 1Password. the only apps that have given me trouble have been the Logic Studio apps, which makes me sad because i used those a lot. garageband works, however, so i'll just use that and hold out for summer's Logic Pro updates. (obviously, compatibility updates are inbound after public release.)

Skype works, but i haven't tried video calling yet, but i don't think i'll have any trouble with it.

i'm trying steam right now, and i'll let you know how that goes.

Cougarcat
Feb 26, 2011, 05:03 PM
i'm trying steam right now, and i'll let you know how that goes.

Steam's working for me now, but I haven't tried any games yet.

Earlier, I could log in but I couldn't click anything. Happened several times.

Edit: spoke too soon, it locked up again.

Blakeco123
Feb 26, 2011, 05:44 PM
I installed it on an external harddrive connected to my main machine and I will say its faster on the 5400 rpm usb drive its installed on that snow leopard is on my internal 7200rpm drive.

biggd
Feb 26, 2011, 05:46 PM
A little help please?
I partitioned my hdd on a 07 iMac, and installed it to the second par, but at reboot the installer won't run and the install won't finish. Ideas?

Auzburner
Feb 26, 2011, 05:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have liOn installed on my primary MacBook pro, but I first made a partition and installed clean, there. On my SSD, lion is snappy! Not willing to risk on my main disk as I have very sensitive data in 10.6.6 that I'm not willing to play with.

RipeRetina
Feb 26, 2011, 10:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have liOn installed on my primary MacBook pro, but I first made a partition and installed clean, there. On my SSD, lion is snappy! Not willing to risk on my main disk as I have very sensitive data in 10.6.6 that I'm not willing to play with.

Run a full backup before installing lion? thats what I did, wish I had a SSD though...

rfrankl
Feb 27, 2011, 01:55 PM
How do you install it on an external USB drive? It keeps saying this drive is not GUID partitioned so I go into Disk Utility like it says, but doesn't show partition tab when I click on the external drive? Anyone that can help? Thanks.

Rivanov
Feb 27, 2011, 01:57 PM
Installed it on a MacBook Air, just for testing. My MacBook Pro is still running Snow Leopard (until the final release of Lion will come out)

WeegieMac
Feb 27, 2011, 03:02 PM
I'm running Lion from a 150GB partition created on my WD external USB hard drive.

I've been using Lion as my main OS all weekend and, a few "Spinning Beachballs" aside, it's been pretty stable for an early release.

I still wouldn't like to install this on my internal drive in place of Snow Leopard though, not a chance in hell of that happening.

TechCavern
Feb 27, 2011, 03:16 PM
This Works Great on my Macbook Pro Early 2009 Model. Not much glitches. So far I love the new interface. The once however I would wish is a shortcut to access LaunchPad. (ie. F4, F5)

TheralSadurns
Feb 28, 2011, 12:21 PM

Haha... this is EXACTLY what I said :D

At first I was like... okay... let's test Lion externally...

Then I was like... okay... I'll install it as soon as my new MBP arrives in 1-2 weeks.

And finally... NO WAY going back to 10.6. So I installed it on my current MBP right away. Having both a Time Machine Backup AND an external clone drive of 10.6.6 if something goes terribly wrong.

tarasis
Feb 28, 2011, 12:39 PM
I'm running it off a separate 40gb partition on my MBP's drive. To early yet for me as a primary OS, probably look to do it after the first or 2nd seed.

That said, might put it as primary OS on my Mac Mini media server. Though no idea if DroboDashboard will work yet on Lion.

karsten
Feb 28, 2011, 12:39 PM
+1

except for safari i'm a bit disappointed by that so far:/ freezes, empty pages, mouse pointer reusing to click on links etc. kind of annoying

neo25
Mar 1, 2011, 11:18 PM
except for safari i'm a bit disappointed by that so far:/ freezes, empty pages, mouse pointer reusing to click on links etc. kind of annoying

i totally agree with you.
The entire system seems robust, except from Safari. The grayed text on some forms won't disappear as you click on it, sometimes it just refuses to load a website (it just go nowhere), and for God sake it has a ****** flash support.. All websites that uses flash ads keep refreshing time from time.. and theres no way you can close de ads, as clicking leads you refreshing page... thats annoying.. i mean.. i know it is still early beta but c'mom.. the entire system seems to be ok.. why safari?? :confused:
Have trouble with duplicate icons on launchpad... but theres a work around although Apple has to improve this app a lot in my opinion... :apple:

neo25
Mar 1, 2011, 11:19 PM

-iStat
-Dropbox
-Path Finder
-Steam
-1Password

There's a work around for dropbox.

Lukeit
Mar 2, 2011, 11:43 PM
Installed on MBPro and iMac 24 and so far so good except for few apps that are pretty buggy like VOX and others that don't work (cue splitter)
Pretty happy at the moment despite I find Lion behaviour a little bit erratic sometimes...

berny6969
Mar 3, 2011, 12:11 AM
i run 3 days with lion and works perfect,only few problems

-eyetv cant run eyetvcamd(its plugin for open crypted channels),fixit,i run eyetv app on console with sudo command

-hibernate function hang up mi macbook pro 2010 mid,fixit change hibernate with stop screen

-cant remove launchpad apps,fixit ctrl-alt-option and click app

-safari cant open certs of plesk panel and i dont view in pref pane how to add certs

all other things works perfect

msjones
Mar 3, 2011, 06:30 AM
I only have the one mac at the moment. I have created a 25gb partition for installing and testing lion. Pretty impressive so far.

wrldwzrd89
Mar 3, 2011, 07:08 AM
I've set up a dedicated external for Lion, and a second dedicated external for Lion Time Machine backups. So far, so good!

msjones
Mar 3, 2011, 07:32 AM
I've set up a dedicated external for Lion, and a second dedicated external for Lion Time Machine backups. So far, so good!

I guess you also have an external for time machine on your current stable OS X?

Thats a lot of externals :)

KoL
Mar 3, 2011, 08:08 AM
Yes but on a separated HDD on my Mac Pro.

DirtySocks85
Mar 3, 2011, 08:17 AM
The poll options seem a bit limited. Particularly there's no options to suggest "yes it is on my primary machine, but I installed it on a separate drive/partition, retaining my current SL install".

I put it on a 20GB partition on my MBP. I set it to boot from the Snow Leopard partition by default, and then option boot into either Lion or Win 7.

ajaxodessa
Mar 3, 2011, 09:07 AM
It's not yet ready to be installed on a working machine. Starting with hangs and crashes in Installer itself and continuing with different behavior even from install to install. For example new feature which merge folders in Finder (like in old Window ;)) one installation has no such functionality when next install finally "gave it to me". That's not something that could be used; just overviewed.

wrldwzrd89
Mar 3, 2011, 09:25 AM
I guess you also have an external for time machine on your current stable OS X?

Thats a lot of externals :)
Yep! I sure do, and I have a fourth external used for shared storage between Lion and Snow Leopard. :o

Tailpike1153
Mar 3, 2011, 09:46 AM
I'm running it on its own partition. Sofar no huge problems. I haven't tried xCode or Itunes. Loving the Safari. It has been a rock for me.

Mac-Michael
Mar 3, 2011, 11:51 PM
I installed it on a separate 32GB disused Windows XP partition. I wasn't going to be using it as my primary but I carelessly answered Time Machine to encrypt my backups. I thought it would only encrypt the backups but it encrypted the whole 2TB drive, and that's where all my music and movies are. Needless to say they are inaccessible from Snow Leopard so I'm sticking with Lion. It's quite stable and I'm liking Mission Control.

jaswalker24
Mar 4, 2011, 05:28 AM
i got a macbook pro 15" running lion but if i plug in head phones or take them out the speakers start skipping :/

stainlessliquid
Mar 7, 2011, 11:10 AM
I just went back to snow leopard, Safari is too messed up with how the typing stops functioning after a few minutes, mission control isnt as smooth or as easy to use as expose, not a fan of the grey icons and none of the features were terribly impressive. Suspending apps is virtually unnoticeable, Im not sure what the point of that is, just about everything opens the same speed it always has, I would have preferred effort be put into something more useful.

I miss the bouncy scrolling feedback but thats about it. Usually I will deal with the bugs if the other features are really good but Lion doesnt have any killer features and for some reason has a lot of disadvantages (like monochromatic icons:confused:)

LutzRFrank
Mar 31, 2011, 06:25 AM
see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12297662#post12297662

the latest Seed Note of Preview 2 states that upgrade to final will not be possible...

wrldwzrd89
Mar 31, 2011, 07:15 AM
see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12297662#post12297662

the latest Seed Note of Preview 2 states that upgrade to final will not be possible...
That makes sense - Apple has always done that with developer builds. However, it may be possible to work around this through the use of Time Machine.

lordimac
Jul 2, 2011, 04:23 PM
eyetv cant run eyetvcamd(its plugin for open crypted channels),fixit,i run eyetv app on console with sudo command

Could you please explain what you did? I'm running Lion Golden Master and my eyetvcamd stopped working. You said it should work with opening EyeTV from Terminal with sudo, but I tryed it and it doesn't work (sudo open /Applications/EyeTV.app).