Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
I know this is a longshot, but does anyone know if a Powerbook 3400 cd-rom drive will work in a Powerbook 5300c? I am trying to get a 5300c on eBay, but it only comes with an outdated floppy drive. I could probably hook up a scsi cd-rom to it (and I will if this doesn't work), but it would be a lot nicer to have an internal one. All I know is that both copmuters have hot-swapable drives. Thanks!

andypress

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
latergator116 said:
I know this is a longshot, but does anyone know if a Powerbook 3400 cd-rom drive will work in a Powerbook 5300c? I am trying to get a 5300c on eBay, but it only comes with an outdated floppy drive. I could probably hook up a scsi cd-rom to it (and I will if this doesn't work), but it would be a lot nicer to have an internal one. All I know is that both copmuters have hot-swapable drives. Thanks!
It won't work for one reason- The bay is just wide enough for a floppy, let alone a cd-drive.

andypress

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
The 5300 series was never designed with a cd-drive in mind, the floppy drive is compatible with the 3400's floppy bay, not cd-bay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.