Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Hey there,

When using the Magic Mouse in Lion, and I scroll down, it goes up. Up goes down.
Just like on iOS

Is there a way anyone has found to stop this?
I'd probably get used to it eventually.. but still!

Also, in full screen apps with the Magic Mouse, is there a way to switch from one app to another? Like swipe left or something?

Thank you!
I know it's the first preview & only been out for a day. :)

pascalpp

macrumors member
May 10, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
here's the option

uncheck that box at the top.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-02-26 at 4.48.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-02-26 at 4.48.12 PM.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,249

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
Hopefully they'll throw in some consistency in future versions.

It's great that that setting is there for the mouse, but no such setting exists for the trackpad. Why? :confused:

gocsp

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2009

It's great that that setting is there for the mouse, but no such setting exists for the trackpad. Why? :confused:

but it is at trackpad (the first option):

ScreenShot20110227at9.00.10AM.png

xdissent

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2007

FYI, this is a feature that unifies OS X and iOS scrolling behaviour, so consistency is exactly what they introduced. It also just makes more sense in general and does away with the logically backward scrolling conventions of the past.

It might take a little getting used to, but it's a huge step in the right direction. I've been running Lion for less than 24 hours and I just switched back to Snow Leopard for a moment - the legacy scrolling feels cheap and wrong now.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
It might take a little getting used to, but it's a huge step in the right direction. I've been running Lion for less than 24 hours and I just switched back to Snow Leopard for a moment - the legacy scrolling feels cheap and wrong now.

It is frankly the most annoying attempt at bringing iOS to OSX yet. If this is Apple's concept of the future then I am seriously hoping Microsoft or somebody provides competition. Absolutely horrible change that I hope is off in the gold master build because I can't imagine any relatives buying a Mac when it "scrolls wrong".

Tanegashima

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Portugal
How do I do that with a Black Macbook (no "advanced" trackpad)?

The preference pane is completely different. I must edit the values by hand!

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Resurrecting thread .. what the hell were they thinking ... not a good default on feature, ran into this "feature" within 5 minutes of being in my new Lion install.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Resurrecting thread .. what the hell were they thinking ... not a good default on feature, ran into this "feature" within 5 minutes of being in my new Lion install.

I agree. Apple should have disabled this option by default.

I was confused about the scrolling until I did a google search. I thought something was wrong with my mouse or Lion install.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
FYI, this is a feature that unifies OS X and iOS scrolling behaviour, so consistency is exactly what they introduced.

The behavior is consistent. But the problem is on iOS, you are touching the screen (aka the content), so scrolling this way is natural. When using a touchpad or magic mouse, this behavior is counter-intuitive no matter how much they try to say it is "natural".

SnakeBacon

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
How to turn it off

Yes you able to turn it off, all of the options in the mouse settings have check boxes which means you can disable the "Natural Scrolling" option.

advan031

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
I hate it on my mbp so reverted back to "normal" scrolling. it's fine on the iPad or iPhone.

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
The behavior is consistent. But the problem is on iOS, you are touching the screen (aka the content), so scrolling this way is natural. When using a touchpad or magic mouse, this behavior is counter-intuitive no matter how much they try to say it is "natural".

I completely agree with this. I didn't even notice I was making the opposite gesture to scroll on my iPhone verses by Magic Trackpad. I too found the "natural" scrolling to be wholy unnatural. I could retrain myself, but I'm Mac at home and Windows at work. I can cope with swapping between Cmd+C verses Ctrl+C, but not scrolling one way and then the other way.

Emulsion

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
It's only unnatural because its different... It's a change they made to make it similar to iOS, give it a day and you will forget about it.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
I completely agree with this. I didn't even notice I was making the opposite gesture to scroll on my iPhone verses by Magic Trackpad. I too found the "natural" scrolling to be wholy unnatural. I could retrain myself, but I'm Mac at home and Windows at work. I can cope with swapping between Cmd+C verses Ctrl+C, but not scrolling one way and then the other way.

Completely agree. I tried to get used to the "natural" scrolling, but the fact of the matter is, unless you're touching the screen it seems very unnatural.
Also, for the sake of not looking like a fool when my friend hands me his PC laptop, i think it'll stick to what i define "natural", which is Apple's "unnatural"

jasperk99

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
Its funny, I never even thought about the difference when using Snow Leopard and IOS, when I installed Lion today, I was like WTF!!! Now I think about it and it just messes me up!! On IOS it does seem natural not so on Lion

I had to change it back to the old settings as I used Windows at work and my brain just won't get used to scrolling 2 different ways

SomeMacGuy

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
Nova Scotia
I scroll down more than I scroll up. The new "natural" way is a much more uncomfortable gesture and it's very weird to get used to. Turning it off made my brain happy for sure. Not even going to bother to try to get used to it.

shanew21

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
its just weird cause i switch from windows to mac so often!!
This is why I have disabled it. I use windows a lot and whenever I'm editing media I plug in an external mouse (with a scroll wheel and everything) for extra precision so I don't want to screw with anything there. I'll just leave it off. The scrolling feels "natural" on a touchscreen but not a trackpad.

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Absolutely horrible change that I hope is off in the gold master build because I can't imagine any relatives buying a Mac when it "scrolls wrong".

You have no idea how long it took one of my relatives, who didn't have much computer experience, to get used to the backwards scrolling that you and I like.

I'm used to moving my finger up when I want the page to go up... but the fact is that it's kind of counter-intuitive for someone used to moving physical objects (like paper) with their hands.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
believe it or not, it's just a-matter-of-habit. You guys will get used to it...

Doubtful as I will never use it. Like was said earlier, most people scroll down more than up. And on a magic mouse, this is very uncomfortable to swipe up versus swiping down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.