Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fishcough

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Hi,

I've had a tough time tracking this down for some reason. I'm curious if anyone knows roughly how much 1080 HD video a CF card can hold? Say, an 8gb and I can figure from there? We're trying to figure out cost vs. tape if we go solid state.

Thanks!

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Hi,

I've had a tough time tracking this down for some reason. I'm curious if anyone knows roughly how much 1080 HD video a CF card can hold? Say, an 8gb and I can figure from there? We're trying to figure out cost vs. tape if we go solid state.

Thanks!

Depends on the camera. Your user manual will very likely outline this.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I Googled the camera and found the instruction manual online.

Attachments

• screen-capture-6.png
    screen-capture-6.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 109

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Just have at least 2 cards.

While one is recording, you can transfer the footage to 2 harddrives (1 is backup).

fishcough

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Just have at least 2 cards.

While one is recording, you can transfer the footage to 2 harddrives (1 is backup).

I'm actually going to have to re think the whole workflow on this. We're going to be shooting in a foreign country and doing it a bit on the sly, so the hope was to be able to send back the source footage every few days, so if we got pinched and lost what we had on us, the whole trip footage wouldn't be gone (I'd also be backing everything up on two portables, but I'd keep those with me). I had it in my head that I'd be able to record to SD cards and get about 4hours on a 32 gig. If I spent 500 bucks on cards, I'd be set.

Now I'm seeing the cost for shooting on CF cards, and thinking I can't spend that much on cards....

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Years ago 512MB cards are $250, and I had 4 of them and shooting raw photos.

You might need more harddrives or blu-ray burner and burn raw footage to mail.

fishcough

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
I think I was working off of this from Amazon for instance:

Transcend 32 GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card TS32GSDHC6
by Transcend
List Price: $145.00
Price: $52.00
You Save: $93.00 (64%)

I'd figured around 4hours of 1080 on a 32gig SDHC card. 500 bucks would get me 40 hours of footage hopefully, more space than I'd need and the flexibility to back up 2 cards and send them home.

I think I need to go back and see what SDHC camera I was looking at. I also like the idea about burning to blu-ray and sending that....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.