Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should the Macbook have a large price drop?

• Yes

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

digitaldave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I was just looking at the Macbook and new Macbook Pro, and it's clear that the Macbook doesn't represent good value anymore. If you upgrade the RAM to 4GB, and upgrade the HD to 320GB, you are matching the new entry level 13" MBP, but the MBP has a shiny new Sandy Bridge CPU, whereas the MB is running an old C2D. The price difference? £11 in the UK store. I'm guessing that hardly anyone would pay for an upgraded MB at that price when for a tiny bit more you can get a new MBP, with faster CPU and more features.

If you think it should drop, how much do you think it should drop by?

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
The 13" mbp is bought by consumers who want to say theyre using pro hardware. Traditionally it hasnt been any more powerful than the mb. Thats not the case at the moment but they will probably bump the macbook up and keep out a few bells and whistles and keep it in white instead of aluminum. theres always a few month period where one member of the apple lineup isnt worth it. Theyll correct it in time.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
It will be interesting to see what they do. I suspect since currently there are a lot of refurbished/clearance items under $1k, it would be smart to wait until they clear them out. :p

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
I definitely think there should be at least a little bit of a price drop if they plan on keeping the same hardware in the MB for a while. However, even when they upgrade the components, it should still be less than $999. I mean, the MB is the entry level computer for a lot of people wanting to try an apple machine. I'd say a price of in between $750-850

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.