Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I have the Otterbox Defender now and I really, really want to like this case, but I hate how the screen cover has that plastic, sticky feel to it when I go to swipe something or tap something out on the iPhone. It's definitely not as smooth as swiping on the actual glass of the iPhone. At times it seems ok, but other times when my hands get rather clammy, I can feel the resistance. Bleh.

Has anyone found a trick or a way to coat the screen so it's less resistant to your fingers, or at least so it doesnt feel like you're rubbing on plastic all the time?

You know, aside from ripping the screen cover out altogether, which is what I'm inclined to do. :D

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
I have the Otterbox Defender now and I really, really want to like this case, but I hate how the screen cover has that plastic, sticky feel to it when I go to swipe something or tap something out on the iPhone. It's definitely not as smooth as swiping on the actual glass of the iPhone. At times it seems ok, but other times when my hands get rather clammy, I can feel the resistance. Bleh.

Has anyone found a trick or a way to coat the screen so it's less resistant to your fingers, or at least so it doesnt feel like you're rubbing on plastic all the time?

You know, aside from ripping the screen cover out altogether, which is what I'm inclined to do. :D

You can use baby powder under the screen, but here is what I do. I have had both the Griffin Survivor and the OtterBox Defender. I popped off both of the built in screen shields and I used my own, how about that? Works like a charm.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
You can use baby powder under the screen, but here is what I do. I have had both the Griffin Survivor and the OtterBox Defender. I popped off both of the built in screen shields and I used my own, how about that? Works like a charm.

What are you using, Zagg? Did you really pop them out or did it have to be cut out with a razor?

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
The baby powder method or, like I did, simply pop the protector out. I have just a normal generic screen protector on mine and it works fine for me.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
The baby powder method or, like I did, simply pop the protector out. I have just a normal generic screen protector on mine and it works fine for me.

Oddly enough the underside looks fine, no watermarks or any blemishes, it's just the texture on the outside that feels unnatural to me.

Glad to know generic protectors might work. I'll have to go to Best Buy and feel up a few of them to see which ones I like best. :D

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
Oddly enough the underside looks fine, no watermarks or any blemishes, it's just the texture on the outside that feels unnatural to me.

Glad to know generic protectors might work. I'll have to go to Best Buy and feel up a few of them to see which ones I like best. :D

Same here, I couldn't stand the plasticy feel at all.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Same here, I couldn't stand the plasticy feel at all.

I know, I was actually using the original screen cover that you're supposed to peel off the iPhone after you unbox it, but I just left it on there until I got the Otterbox. I would have just kept it too, but it wasn't designed to be a protective cover so it already had scratches all over.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town

That's exactly what I did with mine before I switched to the Contour Showcase. Couldn't stand that OB Defender SP so it had to go.

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
I know, I was actually using the original screen cover that you're supposed to peel off the iPhone after you unbox it, but I just left it on there until I got the Otterbox. I would have just kept it too, but it wasn't designed to be a protective cover so it already had scratches all over.

Try these, they're actually VERY good, I'm surprised by the quality.

ip4clear_detail.jpg

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I like the Contour Showcase and think it's one of the better underrated cases and provides nice protection.

+1 Holster sucks but the case is probably one of the best all around cases out there IMO. I think it looks a little different than most cases and that's one of the reasons I dig it :)

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
+1 Holster sucks but the case is probably one of the best all around cases out there IMO. I think it looks a little different than most cases and that's one of the reasons I dig it :)

Ironically the holster for the Otterbox isn't great either. It's not that it's defective or anything, just that it's HUGE. Makes a bulky thing even more ridiculously bulky. Instead I use it as a stand at work. :D

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific

I use wax, pledge or rainX.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I use anti glare, but they both work awesome!

Anti-glare it is. :D

Re: the wax/pledge/rainx comment, that probably was going to be my next move, but I'm just going to replace the screen instead.

Until the Lifeproof cases come out that is. Those things look glorious (if the hype is to be believed.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.