PDA

View Full Version : What time of day does pre-ordering go live?

53x12
Feb 25, 2011, 06:43 PM
Just curious when pre-ordering date is announced, when does it go live on that particular day? Is it at midnight Cupertino time? Or just some random time?

MrWillie
Feb 25, 2011, 06:45 PM
I think they will say available now like they did with the new Airs

53x12
Feb 25, 2011, 06:48 PM
They could, or they might wait a few weeks before it is ready to ship. Similar to what they did last year.

MrWillie
Feb 25, 2011, 07:07 PM
They could, or they might wait a few weeks before it is ready to ship. Similar to what they did last year.

Did that last year because it was a new device. I really don't see them announcing it and saying available in a few, it would kill current sales.

Mattstkc
Feb 25, 2011, 07:11 PM
Did that last year because it was a new device. I really don't see them announcing it and saying available in a few, it would kill current sales.

I can see both sides. I want it "available now" so I can have it by the weekend of announcement but

iPhone every year has to be announced and then wait 2 weeks to be released.

iPad (at least 3G) WILL be the same. The reasoning is this:
Apple doesn't submit their stuff to the FCC until it's been announced lest someone leak all the details, so they announce, submit, get approval, and release within 2 weeks.
So at least the iPad WiFi's will be available immediately after but the 3Gs will take a while unless the FCC decided to let them be secretly approved and somehow didn't leak.

53x12
Feb 25, 2011, 07:11 PM
That is true. Here is to hoping that it goes live next Wed. for orders at ~10am PST. That would rock. :D

diabolic
Feb 25, 2011, 08:40 PM
Just curious when pre-ordering date is announced, when does it go live on that particular day? Is it at midnight Cupertino time? Or just some random time?

The first iPad preorders started at 5am Pacific time.

vincenz
Feb 25, 2011, 08:42 PM
No one will know for sure until Apple announces it. Everything else is just conjecture.

CosmoPilot
Feb 25, 2011, 10:27 PM
Apple is notorious for launching products on the same day of unveilings. Like the poster above said, it would kill current sales.

Additionally, Apple could choose any day they wanted to make this announcement. They chose March 2nd. What would be the point of announcing March 2nd, only to say, "oh, by the way this device will be available in 2 weeks?"

On the other side, Apple can do pretty much whatever they want, so we will have to wait and see. My money is on WiFi versions going on sale immediately (3G not sure). Another litmus test will be leaks appearing a few days prior. Seems Apple has struggled to keep things under wraps lately as the announcement date draws closer (think iPhone4 & MBP). Keep your eyes peeled.

I just bought 2 iPads (32GB models) on February 18th. I'm taking these bad boys back on March 2nd after I find out what Apple is doing.