PDA

View Full Version : I'm running Lion on a late 2006 iMac!

Dewroo
Feb 25, 2011, 07:29 PM
It appears while apple displays "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer" is displayed for poor Core Duo users, us late 2006 iMac people can install and run Lion all we want!

the proof is in the pudding'

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5933/lolyeah.jpg[/URL]

So, it even though it isn't 'supported' it seems as though lion has no problem installing. everything went off without a hitch! or maybe i'm just plain lucky!

something i've noticed but other haven't wrote about it seems, is that autocorrect from iOS is in lion! if you make a slight error, Lion will correct it and put a blue underline underneath it.

the only sad part is that Logic Pro 9 doesn't work anymore, and i used that quite often.

So yeah. anyone else successful with their iMac?

tecknical
Feb 25, 2011, 07:48 PM
not an iMac but still Core 2 Duo

Dewroo
Feb 25, 2011, 07:49 PM
not an iMac but still Core 2 Duo

Yeah, but your computer wasn't in the release notes as being unsupported.
i wonder if mine works because it has the Core 2 Duo in it? hmmm.

tecknical
Feb 25, 2011, 07:51 PM
Yeah, but your computer wasn't in the release notes as being unsupported.
i wonder if mine works because it has the Core 2 Duo in it? hmmm.

I think it doesn't work on the original Core Duo but it works with the Core 2 Duo

celticpride678
Feb 25, 2011, 08:01 PM
Mac OS X Lion supports every computer that has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better.

-Ryan-
Feb 25, 2011, 08:03 PM
Mac OS X Lion supports every computer that has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better.

Right now it doesn't support some of the processors released yesterday. :p

AdrianK
Feb 26, 2011, 04:31 AM

Install notes say that it doesn't support '06 iMac

Steve Ballmer
Feb 26, 2011, 04:36 AM
Install notes say that it doesn't support '06 iMac
It doesn't matter the year, if it has a Core 2 Duo, it will run Lion. The install notes were likely referring to the Core Duo '06 models.

AdrianK
Feb 26, 2011, 05:24 AM
It doesn't matter the year, if it has a Core 2 Duo, it will run Lion. The install notes were likely referring to the Core Duo '06 models.

I was just quoting, it sounded like some people in the thread didn't get the point, since it's a C2D machine.

stooovie
Feb 26, 2011, 06:03 AM
@Steve Ballmer: No, not true. It installs just fine on my 2006 iMac (iMac 5,1) with C2D, but on boot, I get a crossed circle (that's some sort of kernel mismatch IIRC).

It's this model: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac-core-2-duo-2.16-20-inch-specs.html

So no, it does NOT run on every C2D computer.

newfoundglory
Feb 26, 2011, 06:09 AM
Thats really interesting.

If someone has an iMac 2006 which won't boot Lion, can you try booting Snow Leopard with the 64-bit kernel by holding 4 and 6 on startup?

Just a little experiment :D

stooovie
Feb 26, 2011, 06:12 AM
I can't. It's an arbitrary EFI limitation imposed by Apple. All C2Ds are 64bit.

Dewroo
Feb 26, 2011, 08:45 AM
I was able to boot in 64 bit, and again, my 5,1 iMac has no problem running leopard.

blow45
Feb 26, 2011, 08:47 AM
@Steve Ballmer: No, not true. It installs just fine on my 2006 iMac (iMac 5,1) with C2D, but on boot, I get a crossed circle (that's some sort of kernel mismatch IIRC).

So no, it does NOT run on every C2D computer.

That's very bad news...are we sure of this? I have two 24" imacs circa late 2006 and I would hate to not be able to run lion on them..

I want to able to run lion an maybe stick a fast ssd there because these machines are vintage.

stooovie
Feb 26, 2011, 09:32 AM
I believe this limitation applies only to this particular build of 10.7, IMHO all C2D-equipped macs WILL be supported in final build.

It's really weird Dewroo is able to run 64bit kernel with his 5,1 iMac. Here are my specs from System Profiler:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version (system): 1.9f4

Dewroo
Feb 26, 2011, 09:39 AM
I believe this limitation applies only to this particular build of 10.7, IMHO all C2D-equipped macs WILL be supported in final build.

It's really weird Dewroo is able to run 64bit kernel with his 5,1 iMac. Here are my specs from System Profiler:

And mine, for good measure.

Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
Memory: 2.5 GB
SMC Version (system): 1.8f2

stooovie
Feb 26, 2011, 10:00 AM
Dewroo, what does running this command in Terminal return?

uname -v

Dewroo
Feb 26, 2011, 10:09 AM
Darwin Kernel Version 11.0.0: Sat Feb 19 19:31:06 PST 2011; root:xnu-1699.21.15~1/RELEASE_I386

it seems as though it's running in 32bit mode.

I'm just happy that my computer is happy.

stooovie
Feb 26, 2011, 10:13 AM
That's really weird then. Lucky you :-D

Dewroo
Feb 26, 2011, 10:27 AM
That's really weird then. Lucky you :-D

I know! i was shocked when it all worked!

I honestly think it was because the final SL boot i did, i forced it to boot in 64bit.
idk that might have been why it worked!

racer
Feb 26, 2011, 06:21 PM

I have the exact same spec iMac, also failed several attempts to install Lion.
Would get the crossed out circle when trying to boot into Lion every time.

Hope we get included in the next beta :(

ClassicII
Feb 26, 2011, 10:34 PM
Crap!!!!

I have a late 2006 C2D 20" and am getting the "Prohibited" sign on boot.

If you hold down command V for vertibros boot it will say that this machine is not supported.

For kicks I am trying a target boot mode install, this will likely not work either :/ :(

DigitalLifeDad
Feb 27, 2011, 09:34 AM
Simply here are the specs from System Profiler:

Failed several attempts to boot into Lion, either from an external FW drive or the internal SSD upgraded drive.
Always get the crossed out circle when trying to boot into Lion every time.

The seed notes say late 2006 iMacs are not currently supported by this initial developer seed, so in that light it should not work, just confusing because it is a C2D although not fully 64-bit architecture.

Looking forward to this machine being supported with the next seed release.

* NOTE: Attached a photo of my iMac when attempting to boot into Lion with verbose mode

Tailpike1153
Feb 27, 2011, 09:39 AM
So many people are having fun dancing with the Lion. I'll need to throw it on the late 2007 iMac.

Dewroo, any gotchas sofar?

Dewroo
Feb 27, 2011, 11:36 AM
Gotchas?

PhyrePhox
Feb 27, 2011, 11:57 AM

I'm running the same model iMac. Also unable to boot from external USB/SATA drive. However, when I hold down the option key at boot to select a different startup volume, there are three choices: my internal drive, the Lion external volume that doesn't work, and a mystery "Recovery" volume, that will boot!
It boots to (presumably) Lion, although no proper Finder: I get a window with choices to restore from TM, reinstall Lion (won't work), use Safari to get help online (works!), use Disk Utility, use Terminal (several commands I tried don't work), or choose a new Startup volume.
So, Lion boots, but only in Recovery. Even more frustrating than not working at all. Seems like it's something we can get around, eventually. Or, support for 32-bit EFI Macs will come later on?

Dewroo
Feb 27, 2011, 04:21 PM
I doubt that 32bit Macs will work in the future. it makes sense for apple to push forward like they did with the Power PC processors. however, i'm sure later on there will be workarounds to install Lion on older intel systems

PhyrePhox
Mar 1, 2011, 09:02 AM
To clarify: my iMac is a 64-bit Mac. However, the EFI is 32-bit. That seems to be the distinction between supported and unsupported Macs with this build of Lion: 64-bit EFI Macs are supported, 32-bit EFI Macs are not.
Core 2 Duo is the oldest 64-bit Intel CPU, and Lion is not supported at all on (pre-C2D) 32-bit Macs.

mcdermd
Mar 1, 2011, 11:57 AM

Like the iMac folks, I also cannot get Lion to install or boot on a Mac mini that was upgraded from 1.5GHz Core Solo to 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo. There is more going on than a simple CPU check.

I think PhyrePhox is on the right path with the 32/64 bit EFI distinction. The only hitch there is the early C2D MacBooks. Didn't they have 32-bit EFI also?

PhyrePhox
Mar 1, 2011, 02:18 PM
Like the iMac folks, I also cannot get Lion to install or boot on a Mac mini that was upgraded from 1.5GHz Core Solo to 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo. There is more going on than a simple CPU check.

I think PhyrePhox is on the right path with the 32/64 bit EFI distinction. The only hitch there is the early C2D MacBooks. Didn't they have 32-bit EFI also?

I remember a lot of discussion about 32/64 bit kernel, EFI, extensions, etc. when SL shipped. I'm sure someone put together a reference for which C2D has which EFI. I do remember that at the time, laptops were all excluded from running the 64 bit kernel, but I don't recall if that was an EFI issue.

Also, I repartitioned the internal drive and installed Lion DP there to see if it had anything to do with being on an external drive, but it still won't boot. And yes, I tried holding Option-Cmd-64 at the last boot of SL before installing Lion.

PhyrePhox
Mar 1, 2011, 02:39 PM
This person's explanation made the most sense:
http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/English/Programs/SMS/SMS.html
Perhaps Apple hasn't enforced the need for 64-bit kernel extensions until now. This still doesn't answer the question of whether laptops with C2D and 64-bit EFI will run Lion DP, or whether these limitations will persist past this built, or into the GM.

smc333
Mar 2, 2011, 01:38 PM
Core 2 Duo is the oldest 64-bit Intel CPU, and Lion is not supported at all on (pre-C2D) 32-bit Macs.

Perhaps the oldest 64-bit Intel chip in Macs, but there were EM64T compatible Pentium 4 chips...

PhyrePhox
Mar 2, 2011, 07:32 PM
Perhaps the oldest 64-bit Intel chip in Macs, but there were EM64T compatible Pentium 4 chips...

Point taken, but irrelevant here: we aren't discussing hackintoshes.

JoeG4
Mar 2, 2011, 07:34 PM
I was thinking if they redid the "about this mac" screen they'd at least stick the current IP address(es) in there. I guess making life easy for sysadmins is way too much to ask.

racer
Mar 4, 2011, 12:23 PM
Just followed this tip from CultofMac (http://www.cultofmac.com/reader-tip-run-lion-10-7-developer-preview-on-unsupported-core-duo-macs/84960?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cultofmac%2FbFow+%28Cult+of+Mac%29) and it worked!

I managed to get the Lion preview running on a supposedly unsupported Macbook Core Duo from May 2006.

I installed Lion on a USB drive hooked up to a Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 2009, then removed /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist and the same drive booted in the Macbook with no issues!

there might be some stricter restrictions in the future, but pretty good right now!

:D

PhyrePhox
Mar 4, 2011, 07:24 PM
Just followed this tip from CultofMac (http://www.cultofmac.com/reader-tip-run-lion-10-7-developer-preview-on-unsupported-core-duo-macs/84960?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cultofmac%2FbFow+%28Cult+of+Mac%29) and it worked!

I managed to get the Lion preview running on a supposedly unsupported Macbook Core Duo from May 2006.

I installed Lion on a USB drive hooked up to a Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 2009, then removed /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist and the same drive booted in the Macbook with no issues!

there might be some stricter restrictions in the future, but pretty good right now!

:D

Works for me too! Thanks racer!

CyberBob859
Apr 3, 2011, 11:09 PM
Has anybody tried the new Lion beta drop on an iMac 5.1? Is this computer now supported?

stooovie
Apr 4, 2011, 02:50 AM
Yes it is. Works perfectly. Opening folders in Launchpad is slow.

CyberBob859
Apr 4, 2011, 08:48 AM
Yes it is. Works perfectly. Opening folders in Launchpad is slow.

Good to hear. Hopefully the speed issues will be corrected by the time Lion is officially released. I have a 5,1 iMac running Leopard, and was wondering if I should just put Snow Leopard on it or wait until Lion.

John Johnson jr
Jun 7, 2011, 08:11 AM
Hello!

On the first look my lat 2006 iMac is the same like the ones mentioned here before:

But when I use the uname -v command in the console I get this:

Darwin Kernel Version 10.7.0: Sat Jan 29 15:17:16 PST 2011; root:xnu-1504.9.37~1/RELEASE_I386

So my iMac is not identical with Dewroo's.

I also tried the 32- or 64-bit Kernel Startup Mode Selector (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32252/32--or-64-bit-kernel-startup-mode-selector) and it gives me the informations that the processor is 64bit ready but the rest is not as the attachment shows.

So what would that mean for me? And how can I change anything on my Macówithout taking any risks, of course.

joelovesapple
Jun 7, 2011, 09:01 AM
Just curious...

I have got a late 2009 27" iMac - is that a 64-bit EFI and will it run Lion ok?

Stupid question I know but it's one of the later C2D's...

John Johnson jr
Jun 7, 2011, 12:07 PM
Every Mac from 2007 and up will run Lion fine. The only machine in doubt is the late 2006 Core 2 Duo iMac.

joelovesapple
Jun 7, 2011, 07:02 PM
Every Mac from 2007 and up will run Lion fine. The only machine in doubt is the late 2006 Core 2 Duo iMac.

That's cool then - would be good if mine will run in 64-bit mode rather than 32-bit, just for the sake of it.

Funnily enough, I used to own the white 24" iMac and so would currently be worried if I still had it!

qacjared
Jun 7, 2011, 10:06 PM

Lion requires 2 GB of ram. Are we sure some of these machines just don't have enough ram? None of the late 2006 iMacs shipped with more than a gig.

John Johnson jr
Jun 8, 2011, 01:37 AM
All right then, I wasn't precise enough: Every Mac from 2007 and up is technically ready for Lionóbut might need additional RAM. Which is easy for iMacs and Mac Pros but not so easy with older Mac Minis and MacBooks. Okay?

PhyrePhox
Jun 8, 2011, 08:25 AM
As someone pointed out earlier, the limitation was only on that build of Lion. Subsequent builds have worked fine on my iMac (DP2 and 3, anyway: I have DP4 but haven't installed it yet). The posted system requirements for Lion are for a 64-bit capable processor, which means all Core 2 Duos and up should work.

TehEspaaK
Jul 24, 2011, 06:03 AM
I own a Core Duo Early 06 Model iMac but after buying, I replaced the processor with a 2.33GHz C2D Merom (after hours and hours of hard labour and nearly braking the screen)

Theoretically Lion should work but thanks a bunch Apple for failing on the old hardware again!
Might have to upgrade to an i7 Model now just so I could have it for a few years before Apple drops the updates for it too...

John Johnson jr
Jul 24, 2011, 02:06 PM
For anyone who is still interested: The final release of Lion is running fine on a late 2006 iMac (5,1). The EFI has not been changed to 64 bit in the updating process, it doesn't seem to be necessary.

russellelly
Jul 24, 2011, 04:27 PM
For anyone who is still interested: The final release of Lion is running fine on a late 2006 iMac (5,1). The EFI has not been changed to 64 bit in the updating process, it doesn't seem to be necessary.

How does performance compare to SL? I'm using a Late '06 6,1 , after the debacle of iOS4 on my iPhone 3G I don't want to upgrade if it compromises performance.

(PS - scary to think this Mac is nearly 5 years old - it still looks amazing and performs pretty damn well).

John Johnson jr
Jul 25, 2011, 08:34 AM
How does performance compare to SL? I'm using a Late '06 6,1 , after the debacle of iOS4 on my iPhone 3G I don't want to upgrade if it compromises performance.

I haven't tested it thoroughly yet but so far it looks really good. I have 3 GB of RAM, I must add.

(PS - scary to think this Mac is nearly 5 years old - it still looks amazing and performs pretty damn well).

Same here. Such a great machine.

moreyc
Sep 17, 2011, 11:00 AM
I haven't tested it thoroughly yet but so far it looks really good. I have 3 GB of RAM, I must add.
Same here. Such a great machine.

I have the same configuration. Lion is sluggish compared to SL. My wife and I both have logins and are used to switching without closing down apps. Am looking to get a new iMac since what I have now runs like an underpowered PC. :(

stooovie
Sep 17, 2011, 11:13 AM
You're right, it is sluggish compared to SL. But I DO remember how SL was on the same machine prior to 10.6.4. It was slow, choppy and laggy too. All OSX versions suck in their first instances.

sparcspread
Dec 18, 2011, 03:38 PM
Hi,

I did a search and found this thread. I am thinking of upgrading my iMac 5,1 to Lion. My Mac is a late 2006 Core 2 Duo (iMac5,1) and should be able to run Lion. My questions to those of you on this thread who did upgrade their iMac5,1: how do you feel the performance of Lion is, compared to SL, now that it's been a few months and a few minor versions of Lion? Should I upgrade or consider a new Mac?

Thanks!
-sparcspread

moreyc
Dec 19, 2011, 08:20 AM
Back in September I posted, complaining about the sluggishness of my IMac. Well, after 4 months and a couple of upgrades, Lion is much quicker now (3 gigs memory) and I no longer want to ditch my machine.

AxiomaticRubric
Dec 19, 2011, 08:39 AM
Hi,

I did a search and found this thread. I am thinking of upgrading my iMac 5,1 to Lion. My Mac is a late 2006 Core 2 Duo (iMac5,1) and should be able to run Lion. My questions to those of you on this thread who did upgrade their iMac5,1: how do you feel the performance of Lion is, compared to SL, now that it's been a few months and a few minor versions of Lion? Should I upgrade or consider a new Mac?

Thanks!
-sparcspread

I've installed Lion on a Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro and it works just fine. However I did upgrade the memory to the max (8 GB) so you may want to look at doing that. So you shouldn't have any trouble, other than from certain software vendors who still haven't got the memo that Macs have a brand new operating system. ;)

PhyrePhox
Dec 20, 2011, 08:30 AM
Hi,

Thanks!
-sparcspread

Bear in mind, the OP was referring to the beta of Lion that would not install on the iMac5,1. The release version of Lion does install and run on the iMac5,1. As other posters have mentioned, max out the RAM. The iMac5,1 officially supports 3GB; I put in two 2GB sticks in hopes of getting a small performance boost due to interleaving, even though only 3GB is available. The iMac is usable under Lion, only slightly slower than Snow Leopard IMO.