PDA

View Full Version : Safari in Lion

Maclver
Feb 25, 2011, 08:21 PM
It seems that Safari in Lion is missing a feature that I'm sure many rely on.. In SL when you hit Apple Q if you have multiple tabs open it would ask you if you were sure you wanted to quit.. Well it doesn't do that in Lion... Has anyone else noticed that?

neko girl
Feb 25, 2011, 08:23 PM
I thought it was mentioned somewhere that Safari automatically saves state? Was this a Lion feature?

celticpride678
Feb 25, 2011, 08:25 PM
Safari should automatically save it's state, which is likely why that isn't displaying. That being said, state saving seems to be buggy to me.

Cougarcat
I thought it was mentioned somewhere that Safari automatically saves state? Was this a Lion feature?

Exactly. Asking would be pointless, because it's going to save your tabs anyway.

Maclver
Exactly. Asking would be pointless, because it's going to save your tabs anyway.

Just tested with 4 tabs and it doesn't save it... maybe I'm missing something....

Auto Save
If you have a document-based application, Lion offers an efficient, built-in auto save feature that stores changes to the working document instead of creating additional copies on a disk. Versions automatically records a history of changes made to your documents and lets your app display a Time Machine like interface so users can browse through previous versions.

Resume
Resume in Lion allows users to restore your app exactly where they were prior to logging out or restarting. Apps that were last running launch automatically and all open document windows return to where they were. The system automatically manages apps and conserves resources by closing apps that are not being used.

That is from the Apple site and it doesn't say anything about closing an app and opening it right away...?

Cougarcat
Feb 25, 2011, 08:33 PM
Just tried it and you are right, it only saves tabs if you log out or shut down. Bug? Other apps (TextEdit) do save state if you quit and relaunch.

mamouneyya
Feb 26, 2011, 01:40 PM
No it wouldn't. Sometimes the quit shortcut gets mistakenly pressed and it really hurts to loose a ton of Youtube videos that you waited long for them to be downloaded, especially when you have a low-speed internet connection. That's one of the reasons I hate Chrome for!

celticpride678
Feb 26, 2011, 02:05 PM
No it wouldn't. Sometimes the quit shortcut gets mistakenly pressed and it really hurts to loose a ton of Youtube videos that you waited long for them to be downloaded, especially when you have a low-speed internet connection. That's one of the reasons I hate Chrome for!

If you go to about:flags in Chrome, you can enable that feature.

mamouneyya
Feb 26, 2011, 04:00 PM
If you go to about:flags in Chrome, you can enable that feature.
Wow, Thanks!

poobear
Feb 26, 2011, 04:41 PM
I only see this as a problem for 56k-users. For the rest of us it's one click less.

On a related note, I'm not able to save PDFs inside Safari, nor via Cmd+s or in the HUD-menu at the bottom (nor open it in Preview from the HUD-menu). Is it just here or can anyone else save PDFs? I save a lot of PDFs and the bug is kind of annoying as I have to go to print -> save pdf every time.