Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slorro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
I'm not particularly a gadget geek, but I just purchased an APple TV and want to connect it to my Sony 1080. Problem is, I have no HDMI ports left open on my TV. Is there another way to connect to still get 1080 quality, or should I buy a DVI adapter? I have a Direct TV DVR, a Sony blu ray DVD player, my son's old PS2 (no HDMI port) and some audio (none have HDMI ports).

Help!!

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I'd use this opportunity to purchase a nice audio receiver with 4+ HDMI ports, and use that to do the switching to your TV.

slorro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
so if I buy a switch (and here's where my 52 year old brain starts getting stupid), what do I disconnect from the back of my tv? Should i just disconnect one of the HDMI ports and plug the switch into the tv, and then plug that hdmi cable plus the AppleTV into the switch? And it'll work?

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Multiple input devices plug into your switcher, which you then plug into your TV HDMI input port.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
What he said. You would also want one with a remote, as you will need to activate the correct source in the switch when you want to use it. If you use a Harmony or similar programmable remote to control your home theater stuff, you can program it to operate the switch.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
i bought this from amazon:

Ultra High Performance HDMI Switcher, 3to1 Switch
by Portta

12.00 works great....i have the atv and my ps3 plugged into it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.