PDA

View Full Version : I Have Lion - Ask Me Questions

A Macbook Pro
Feb 26, 2011, 12:51 AM
Fire away!

Steve Ballmer
Feb 26, 2011, 12:55 AM
Did you get it through ADC or did you pirate it?

A Macbook Pro
Feb 26, 2011, 01:01 AM
Did you get it through ADC or did you pirate it?

$120 through Apple in Australia, coughed it up a couple hours ago, after I saw the videos I just couldn't wait :D

I heard the pirated file has some thing in it that sends reports to Apple and could do something to your system so I steered well clear and think everybody else should as well.

Steve Ballmer
Feb 26, 2011, 01:04 AM
$120 through Apple in Australia, coughed it up a couple hours ago, after I saw the videos I just couldn't wait :D

I heard the pirated file has some thing in it that sends reports to Apple and could do something to your system so I steered well clear and think everybody else should as well.
The legit ADC build contacts swscan.apple.com, I would assume the pirated version has been nulled.

How do you like it so far?

Apple OC
Feb 26, 2011, 01:05 AM
a couple hours ago? ... report back in a couple weeks

appleguy123
Feb 26, 2011, 01:06 AM
The legit ADC build contacts swscan.apple.com, I would assume the pirated version has been nulled.

The pirated version still contacts that server. :apple:

A Macbook Pro
Feb 26, 2011, 01:09 AM

Absolutely loving it. It's pretty buggy though, nothing show-stopping but I just had an issue where it wouldn't let me type a reply and I had to restart Safari. Oh, and auto-correct for Safari!!!! :D I just typed (without spaces) r e s t a r d and it automatically corrected it to restart. This'll let me type so much faster without having to worry about making as many mistakes.

a couple hours ago? ... report back in a couple weeks

I'm just going to answer questions for people if they want to know, i.e. can the new iOS like scroll system be put back to normal. Yep, it can.

The pirated version still contacts that server. :apple:

What's the difference then? I heard something about that server and 9t05Mac were being pretty vague about it and told the pirates to use Little Snitch or something. Does it flag the machine to Apple?

appleguy123
Feb 26, 2011, 01:14 AM
What's the difference then? I heard something about that server and 9t05Mac were being pretty vague about it and told the pirates to use Little Snitch or something. Does it flag the machine to Apple?

No. It just sends anonymous debugging data to Apple for development purposes.
The people at 9to5Mac very rarely know what they're talking about.

Absolutely loving it. It's pretty buggy though, nothing show-stopping but I just had an issue where it wouldn't let me type a reply and I had to restart Safari. Oh, and auto-correct for Safari!!!! :D I just typed (without spaces) r e s t a r d and it automatically corrected it to restart. This'll let me type so much faster without having to worry about making as many mistakes.

Autocorrect? That's awesome! I hadn't heard that before.
Can you take a screenshot of what it looks like?

A Macbook Pro
Feb 26, 2011, 01:21 AM

A screenshot wouldn't really show you anything unfortunately. All I can tell you is that if it fixes a mistake for you, another example: t h s t it'll automatically change it to that and put a blue-ish grey line under the word to let you know it's been autocorrected. For some reason, there isn't an option to return that word to what you wrote, so it's currently impossible for me to write that with an s instead on an a while using autocorrect, but I'm positive this would be corrected in later builds. Automatically correcting spelling can be turned off by right-clicking any typing area and going to Spelling then unticking automatically correct spelling.

Steve Ballmer
Feb 26, 2011, 01:32 AM
what is screnshot?

appleguy123
Feb 26, 2011, 01:33 AM
what is screnshot?

So it's not like the iPhone where the corrected word is underneath the misspelled word?

Steve Ballmer
Feb 26, 2011, 01:36 AM
So it's not like the iPhone where the corrected word is underneath the misspelled word?
seems to only occur in textedit

A Macbook Pro
Feb 26, 2011, 01:36 AM

Nope.

EDIT: Not on Safari anyway. Probably going to add it in a later build.

-Ryan-
Feb 26, 2011, 04:15 AM

As mentioned, the build floating around the internet still contacts that server (check the installer log). That server just lists available software updates which I'm assuming the Lion installer is checking for before it lets you go ahead. As far as I'm able to see, there is nothing sent to Apple.

mhobb
Feb 26, 2011, 04:21 AM
I was wondering if there are any additional magic mouse gestures like expose' in Lion. Thanks. 

Steve Ballmer
Feb 26, 2011, 04:23 AM
I was wondering if there are any additional magic mouse gestures like expose' in Lion. Thanks. 
These are all the possible gestures. I believe the Magic Mouse gets everything up to three fingered gestures.

mhobb
Feb 26, 2011, 04:26 AM
Do you like the iOS styled scrolling or do you switch back to normal mac scrolling?

Hellhammer
Feb 26, 2011, 04:27 AM

Mission Control is the new Expose. Those swipes let you scroll between Spaces. When you scroll right or left with one finger, you can go back or forward. Good news is that BetterTouchTool works okay with Lion so you can use your own gestures.

mhobb
Feb 26, 2011, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, and good to know that Lion works with BetterTouchTool!!

baryon
Feb 26, 2011, 04:37 AM
So, is Exposé as we know it gone? I really hope it's not replaced by Mission Control!

What about spaces? Can you still zoom out and see all your spaces, and then do an Exposé while in that overview mode?

Has there been any changes to Spaces?

Also, when you open a folder, and resize the Finder window, then close the folder, will ALL finder windows open with that new size, or only the folder you resized (like in Snow Leopard)?

Steve Ballmer
Feb 26, 2011, 04:38 AM
Do you like the iOS styled scrolling or do you switch back to normal mac scrolling?
You can have the scroll bars always visible and can revert to traditional scrolling as long as you're using a desktop or have a multi-touch trackpad on your notebook.

So, is Exposé as we know it gone? I really hope it's not replaced by Mission Control!

What about spaces? Can you still zoom out and see all your spaces, and then do an Exposé while in that overview mode?

Has there been any changes to Spaces? Can you navigate them by swipes?
Sort of. It does appear that the dedicated Expose button the keyboard now triggers Mission Control instead. It's quite buggy in this early developer preview, though.

And yes, Spaces has changed a little bit. It seems "Spaces" is now being renamed to "Desktops," and instead of that little animation that you used to get before, you now move in a straight line from one desktop to another.

Cougarcat
Feb 26, 2011, 04:45 AM

Expose for all windows across apps is gone, replaced by Mission Control. Expose for individual apps and the desktop is still there.

You can see all your spaces in Mission Control. Click on a space and you can see all your windows in that space, clustered by app. This replaces the expose in overview mode (Mission control is essentially a totally retooled overview mode.)

Spaces is actually quite different. You can no longer arrange them in any sort of grid, it's just space "1 2 3 4 " in a horizontal fashion. The animation is also different. You can still assign apps to spaces.

Three finger swipes are used to navigate between spaces.

Hellhammer
Feb 26, 2011, 04:49 AM

Pressing the Expose button gives me Mission Control.

That's pretty much what Mission Control is for. It lets you see everything you are doing. I made a short clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNQfaC48s3I&feature=youtube_gdata_player) that gives you some idea of Mission Control

Yes, you can use swipes to navigate.

Also, when you open a folder, and resize the Finder window, then close the folder, will ALL finder windows open with that new size, or only the folder you resized (like in Snow Leopard)?

All windows will open with that new size.

baryon
Feb 26, 2011, 05:13 AM
Damn, well I'm not happy that you can no longer have a grid of spaces... Can you at least have more than 4 spaces? I need 6-8 Spaces because Photoshop, Bridge and Flash has to be on a separate Space the way I work. I also have a Space for Safari, one for Skype, one for Mail... That way I don't have to keep minimizing them and fiddling around with the windows.

I really don't like the way Mission Control and Spaces work now... Though I can't say for sure as I haven't tried it, but I'm not too happy about it!

I'm glad all Finder windows have the same size though, that's cool.

Steve Ballmer
Feb 26, 2011, 05:14 AM
Damn, well I'm not happy that you can no longer have a grid of spaces... Can you at least have more than 4 spaces? I need 6-8 Spaces because Photoshop, Bridge and Flash has to be on a separate Space the way I work. I also have a Space for Safari, one for Skype, one for Mail... That way I don't have to keep minimizing them and fiddling around with the windows.

I really don't like the way Mission Control and Spaces work now... Though I can't say for sure as I haven't tried it, but I'm not too happy about it!

You can have up to 16 Spaces, last I checked.

Hellhammer
Feb 26, 2011, 05:15 AM

Up to 16 Spaces, just like before.

Cougarcat
Feb 26, 2011, 05:15 AM
Damn, well I'm not happy that you can no longer have a grid of spaces... Can you at least have more than 4 spaces? I need 6-8

You can have up to 16, same as before.

Mission control UI sort of breaks with 10+ spaces, though. At least the way it works at the moment.

orfeas0
Feb 26, 2011, 06:16 AM
That's pretty much what Mission Control is for. It lets you see everything you are doing. I made a short clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNQfaC48s3I&feature=youtube_gdata_player) that gives you some idea of Mission Control

nice video, thanks a lot.
seems you can choose different backgrounds for different desktops now, which also results in a different color of the top bar (menu bar or whatever its called).
Me likes it!

MWPULSE
Feb 26, 2011, 06:17 AM
Good thread idea guys.. keep it coming!! :D maybe i will bookmark this thread, and check back in 2 days see what the questions look like!! :)

What are the notice differences in Finder? Seems like theres some major reshuffling of the different window views, correct?

Also the button mechanism seems to of changed as well right? i.e the look of the button, and the look of a button, post-press/select.

Lion's looking rather ace atm!! :D

orfeas0
Feb 26, 2011, 06:18 AM

i understand the need to use spaces for fullscreen programs like photoshop etc, but safari and skype? You can put them in the same space, that's what expose (mission control) is there for. no need to alt tab like windows etc, just 4-finger swipe and all your apps are there ;)

A Macbook Pro
Feb 26, 2011, 06:25 AM
Good thread idea guys.. keep it coming!! :D maybe i will bookmark this thread, and check back in 2 days see what the questions look like!! :)

What are the notice differences in Finder? Seems like theres some major reshuffling of the different window views, correct?

Also the button mechanism seems to of changed as well right? i.e the look of the button, and the look of a button, post-press/select.

Lion's looking rather ace atm!! :D

Finder just has a nice new UI, but the core is still the same. It looks better and slightly easier to find stuff you want but feels the same.

The buttons do look a little different yes, I think they look worse TBH but they go well with the greyish theme they have implemented across apps like Finder. Which I don't like either. Apple are taking the colours out of the OS and replacing them with grey.

On another note, you can't remove launchpad from the dock. WTF is this Apple. I don't need it in my dock, I can use finger gestures. That would be like you making the expose "app" locked to the dock in SL. Not cool.

Pndrgnsvc
Feb 26, 2011, 06:26 AM
Is there anything noteworthy during a Safe Boot?

A Macbook Pro
Feb 26, 2011, 06:27 AM
Is there anything noteworthy during a Safe Boot?

If you tell me what that is I can check for you tomorrow morning, on my iPad now.

Pndrgnsvc
Feb 26, 2011, 06:29 AM
If you tell me what that is I can check for you tomorrow morning, on my iPad now.

That's rebooting while holding the Shift Key: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564

baryon
Feb 26, 2011, 06:35 AM
Up to 16 Spaces, just like before.

Oh good then! Well, if they would still be able to be in a grid, that would be awesome. I simply can't live without the Spaces overview mode, where I can drag windows around from one Space to another, etc... I can't see that happening now that they're "linear".

i understand the need to use spaces for fullscreen programs like photoshop etc, but safari and skype? You can put them in the same space, that's what expose (mission control) is there for. no need to alt tab like windows etc, just 4-finger swipe and all your apps are there ;)

Yeah I know it's a bit weird to do it like that, but I like to have everything IM related (MSN, Skype, file transfers, chat windows, Video conversation windows) all in one space, and it does get cluttered. Then Safari is a big window, so it would cover up everything behind it anyway, it's faster to just switch Spaces than to Exposé all the time. I have a 15 inch screen so there isn't much space!

I really don't like the way Mission Control seems to be at the moment, it's cluttered and messy, and I don't see the advantage. In Snow Leopard, when in the Spaces Overview mode, you can see all your spaces and all your apps, in a way that makes good use of your screen. You can even activate Exposé from there, and it's just perfect. Why change this? Why don't full-screen Apps just work as a big window in Exposé?

Also, it's very strange to have the "embossed" buttons being the active ones, and the "pressed-in" ones the inactive ones, like the above screenshot of the Preferences window. I know it's a slider but I keep thinking it's the other way around. I don't see why they changed this? On a cassette player, the button you pressed (such as Play or Fast Forward) was the one that stayed pressed, the other ones were popped up. That makes sense, physically and visually.

Anyway, sorry for the rant this is a thread about questions :D

Question: When you open an App, is there a way to actually Quit it (Cmd + Q), or can you just close all of its windows? If yes, can you distinguish between open and closed apps? If not, what if an Apps says "please relaunch this app to apply the new settings"? As I've heard, the OS now closes apps when they aren't used, but makes you think that you can just have everything running simultaneously.

klaxamazoo
Feb 26, 2011, 06:54 AM
Does the new Mail have a sidebar view for mailboxes (folders)? I like the conversations but I don't want to have to pull down folders from the top of the Mail.app.

Graeme43
Feb 26, 2011, 07:41 AM
Have you found an option to turn off the inverted scroll? its driving me crazy!!! :apple:

AdrianK
Feb 26, 2011, 07:43 AM
Have you found an option to turn off the inverted scroll? its driving me crazy!!! :apple:

Sys Prefs > Trackpad > ...Move content in direction of finger movement.

Non-MT trackpads don't show this option apparently :/

Graeme43
Feb 26, 2011, 07:47 AM
I'm using the desktop trackpad with Mac Pro :) I noticed if i 2 finger swipe in safari it slides the pages(tabs) sideways just like when you use 4 fingers for dashboard

tombilske
Feb 26, 2011, 07:50 AM
Oh good then! Well, if they would still be able to be in a grid, that would be awesome. I simply can't live without the Spaces overview mode, where I can drag windows around from one Space to another, etc... I can't see that happening now that they're "linear".

I really don't like the way Mission Control seems to be at the moment, it's cluttered and messy, and I don't see the advantage. In Snow Leopard, when in the Spaces Overview mode, you can see all your spaces and all your apps, in a way that makes good use of your screen. You can even activate Exposé from there, and it's just perfect. Why change this? Why don't full-screen Apps just work as a big window in Exposé?

Question: When you open an App, is there a way to actually Quit it (Cmd + Q), or can you just close all of its windows? If yes, can you distinguish between open and closed apps? If not, what if an Apps says "please relaunch this app to apply the new settings"? As I've heard, the OS now closes apps when they aren't used, but makes you think that you can just have everything running simultaneously.

Full screen apps act as different spaces in Mission Control. When you launch mission control, it shows all the windows of the current space grouped by app, and up the top it shows your dashboard, your desktops (spaces) and your full screen apps. You can select a desktop to see all the windows on that desktop, and you can drag the windows between the different desktops just like spaces overview.

And there are no app indicators in the dock anymore but when you quit (cmd-q) an app that isnt set to keep in the dock, the icon disappears like normal. just closing all the windows of an app doesnt do this. You can kind of tell which apps are running simply if you know which icons are always in your dock and which icons arent, but the whole point is that the system should take care of resource management for you, not force you to do it yourself

Does the new Mail have a sidebar view for mailboxes (folders)? I like the conversations but I don't want to have to pull down folders from the top of the Mail.app.

Yes it does. In fact, it is activated by default when you first launch the mail app

yogeewan
Feb 26, 2011, 07:54 AM
How do I see versions of a file? When I try to switch it on in Time Machine, it keeps turning itself off.

philmo
Feb 26, 2011, 08:28 AM
Can you use the Time Machine GUI to access backups when File Vault is enabled?

What about the Version Control GUI?

grave101
Feb 26, 2011, 09:19 AM
Is there an option to have folders on top in Finder? Meaning, is there now an option to list folders first, and then files.

Hellhammer
Feb 26, 2011, 09:22 AM
Is there an option to have folders on top in Finder? Meaning, is there now an option to list folders first, and then files.

Yes, or at least something very similar to what you said.

trssho
Feb 26, 2011, 09:25 AM
Fire away!

Is there an option to resize text? With my 27" screen and 2560 X 1440 resolution, a lot of programs and native system apps, have font that is too small to read from a reasonable distance.

Also, in finder, when you are looking at a list of files and folders, is there an option to list folders first. I find it so annoying that it only lists them alphabetically, and the folder are mixed in with files.

Thanks, Andy

crusher
Feb 26, 2011, 09:44 AM
Does Mail allow the Tagging of mails, rather than just flagging them?

Luis Ortega
Feb 26, 2011, 09:45 AM
Fire away!

Thanks.
Is it compatible with a MBP 2007 with santa rosa?

grave101
Feb 26, 2011, 09:57 AM
Is there a new "Cut" or "Move" option in the Finder? This seems to be missing from Finder.

Hydramus
Feb 26, 2011, 10:42 AM
And there are no app indicators in the dock anymore but when you quit (cmd-q) an app that isnt set to keep in the dock, the icon disappears like normal. just closing all the windows of an app doesnt do this. You can kind of tell which apps are running simply if you know which icons are always in your dock and which icons arent, but the whole point is that the system should take care of resource management for you, not force you to do it yourself

You have the option to turn the app indicators on and off in the "Dock" section of System Preferences.

theRobolaVirus
Feb 26, 2011, 11:03 AM
Is there a new "Cut" or "Move" option in the Finder? This seems to be missing from Finder.

LOL, I was just going to ask that. It's one of the biggest 'missing features' for me...

axu539
Feb 26, 2011, 11:05 AM
If you sign up for ADC, do you eventually get the public release and all updates?

iPhone1
Feb 26, 2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the chat!

Salacion
Feb 26, 2011, 11:24 AM
Any chance you could post some screenies of the Address Book and Preview in action? They both have new interfaces I heard.

Are there any other apps with newly revamped interfaces? I'm curious about the Dictionary and the Calculator. Are they both the same still?

ct2k7
Feb 26, 2011, 11:26 AM
I find it a shame that some people have a certain disregard for contracts and laws.

Graeme43
Feb 26, 2011, 11:27 AM

Mine has cut in the edit but it only seems to work for renaming drives or files

Hellhammer
Feb 26, 2011, 11:34 AM
Any chance you could post some screenies of the Address Book and Preview in action? They both have new interfaces I heard.

Are there any other apps with newly revamped interfaces? I'm curious about the Dictionary and the Calculator. Are they both the same still?

There are some quick ones.

neko girl
Feb 26, 2011, 11:36 AM
Can you show us anything regarding the whole disk encryption capabilities? A short description or screenshot will do.

Yes, I've seen the description on Apple's page, but it's not enough.

appleguy123
Feb 26, 2011, 01:12 PM
Can you show us anything regarding the whole disk encryption capabilities? A short description or screenshot will do.

Yes, I've seen the description on Apple's page, but it's not enough.

Let me switch to my Lion partition really quick
Is this what you mean?

Cougarcat
Feb 26, 2011, 01:26 PM
How do I see versions of a file? When I try to switch it on in Time Machine, it keeps turning itself off.

You mean, you click "create local snapshots" and it doesn't save your settings? Must be a bug. It should be enabled by default (maybe it's different if you upgraded.)

To see versions hover over the top right corner of your saved app and click the arrow. As far as I am aware only TextEdit supports it so far.

BlackMax
Feb 26, 2011, 02:02 PM
I did a quick search of MR and didn't see an answer to this question, so I apologize if it has already been answered.

Is the filesystem used by Lion ZFS or HFS+?

Cougarcat
Feb 26, 2011, 02:06 PM
I did a quick search of MR and didn't see an answer to this question, so I apologize if it has already been answered.

Is the filesystem used by Lion ZFS or HFS+?

HFS+, though there's now a Mac OS X Extended (Journaled, Encrypted) option.

ZFS will never happen as there were licensing problems. There were rumors that Apple was working on a successor to HFS+, I believe.

hollerz
Feb 26, 2011, 02:29 PM

Thanks for that! This looks awesome, so much more elegant than it is now!

Really can't wait for Lion, probably the OS release I've been most excited about! :D

ct2k7
Feb 26, 2011, 02:32 PM
That video's going to go soon :D

boa
Feb 26, 2011, 03:20 PM
Are you serious Mission Control replaces the "All Windows Exposé"? The current Mac OS has some serious issues in making the access to a specific window of an app easy, and this Mission Control thing only adds MORE steps to the process...

BTW, what about the minimized windows? Is there enough space for them in Mission Control? It doesn't seem so :S Do they even appear somehow?

Cougarcat
Feb 26, 2011, 03:31 PM
Are you serious Mission Control replaces the "All Windows Exposé"? The current Mac OS has some serious issues in making the access to a specific window of an app easy,

IMO it's easier. If you really have so many windows open in a particular app that you are worried about not being able to find one because MC overlaps windows, then you are going to want to use the app-specific Expose anyway.

BTW, what about the minimized windows? Is there enough space for them in Mission Control? It doesn't seem so :S Do they even appear somehow?

The dock comes up in MC, so you see your minimized windows there. Minimized windows appear in Application-specific expose just as in SL.

djrod
Feb 26, 2011, 03:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; es-es) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can do that in Snow leopard

appleguy123
Feb 26, 2011, 04:17 PM
Is there any way to show desktop anymore? IT used to be 4 finger swipe up.

PBF
Feb 26, 2011, 04:20 PM
Currently not possible.

Gonna enable it as soon as it's an option (hopefully in the next beta).

Cougarcat
Feb 26, 2011, 04:24 PM
Currently not possible.

Gonna enable it as soon as it's an option (hopefully in the next beta).

Expose to show the desktop is still there. Zoom with four fingers, or F11.

neko girl
Feb 26, 2011, 04:25 PM
Let me switch to my Lion partition really quick
Is this what you mean?
Thanks appleguy123! Yeah that's what I meant.

I wonder how this capability will interact with Time Machine.

While the user is logged in, is the disk unencrypted, or is it real time encryption/decryption? I wonder..

PBF
Feb 26, 2011, 04:28 PM
I'm sorry but spreading four fingers for desktop is a major pain in the arse. I much prefer to swipe four fingers up or down to reveal desktop.

appleguy123
Feb 26, 2011, 04:30 PM

That's the most awkward gesture ever devised. lol

PBF
Feb 26, 2011, 04:34 PM
That's the most awkward gesture ever device. lol
Tell me about it.

Pinch? Spread? Really? What ever were Apple thinking?! The most painful gestures! Hate it!!

Alas, swipe-four-fingers-for-desktop is no longer an option. :mad:

CommodityFetish
Feb 26, 2011, 04:40 PM
Does Mail allow the Tagging of mails, rather than just flagging them?

I also have this question. Any way to tag or label messages/threads rather than filing them in folders, beyond the usual flag feature?

It looks like there's a drop down arrow on the flag button on the image of mail on the apple site... making me wonder.

PBF
Feb 26, 2011, 04:45 PM
I also have this question. Any way to tag or label messages/threads rather than filing them in folders, beyond the usual flag feature?

It looks like there's a drop down arrow on the flag button on the image of mail on the apple site... making me wonder.
No, no tagging/labeling is available. The drop-down menu simply gives you more flag colors.

Cougarcat
Feb 26, 2011, 04:52 PM
Tell me about it.

Pinch? Spread? Really? What ever were Apple thinking?! The most painful gestures! Hate it!!

Alas, swipe-four-fingers-for-desktop is no longer an option. :mad:

IMO it's easy once you get the hang of it. Place three fingers on your trackpad, just move them up a little bit while you move your thumb down. You don't have to do a huge spread gesture for it to work.

appleguy123
Feb 26, 2011, 05:03 PM
IMO it's easy once you get the hang of it. Place three fingers on your trackpad, just move them up a little bit while you move your thumb down. You don't have to do a huge spread gesture for it to work.

Oh, yes that is easier. I was trying to make a spock sign and failing. lol

PBF
Feb 26, 2011, 05:04 PM
Silly me, I actually tried to execute the four-finger spread with my index, middle, ring and pinky (no thumb). :rolleyes:

Now that you've mentioned thumb, I tried it, and it works quite well actually. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, in Trackpad pref pane, the very last gesture combination ("Pinch for Launchpad, Spread for Desktop") demos four-finger-swipe-up-for-desktop. Silly Apple. :D (yes, I know it's a beta)

superstrikertwo
Feb 26, 2011, 08:42 PM

Command + Expose Mission Control button (F3) same as in Snow Leopard.

A Macbook Pro
Feb 26, 2011, 08:57 PM
Command + Expose Mission Control button (F3) same as in Snow Leopard.

The new way on a trackpad is to spread all 4 fingers outwards. So your fingers start touching on the trackpad then spread them out across the trackpad and end with taking your fingers off the trackpad. Opposite gesture to go back to the app.

Gnuff
Feb 26, 2011, 09:16 PM
Is the server part of lion in this build, do you have to enable it at install, or is there an server.app in your applications? Possible to see anny screens of it?

Stang
Feb 26, 2011, 09:25 PM
I also have Lion too.

I thought I'd point out the new system profiler. Very sleek, with a nice new UI

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x390/elliottstanger/OSX%20Lion%20System%20Profiler%20Views/ScreenShot2011-02-26at82847PM.png

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x390/elliottstanger/OSX%20Lion%20System%20Profiler%20Views/ScreenShot2011-02-26at82910PM.png

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x390/elliottstanger/OSX%20Lion%20System%20Profiler%20Views/ScreenShot2011-02-26at82915PM.png

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x390/elliottstanger/OSX%20Lion%20System%20Profiler%20Views/ScreenShot2011-02-26at82901PM.png

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x390/elliottstanger/OSX%20Lion%20System%20Profiler%20Views/ScreenShot2011-02-26at82921PM.png

Steve Ballmer
Feb 27, 2011, 01:09 AM
Is the server part of lion in this build, do you have to enable it at install, or is there an server.app in your applications? Possible to see anny screens of it?
It's part of the installation process but not checked by default. Checking all the server options adds about another 3 GB to the install.

baddj
Feb 27, 2011, 03:48 AM
Does lion add NTFS write support? really need this so i do not have to use my brothers computer to work on my windows server.

paulsalter
Feb 27, 2011, 04:09 AM
Are the new features configurable and can you turn them off if you dont like then

theBigD23
Feb 27, 2011, 04:13 AM
Has anyone noticed any differences in Time Machine? I don't see anything.

Steve Ballmer
Feb 27, 2011, 04:14 AM
Are the new features configurable and can you turn them off if you dont like then
You can turn off most of the Multi-Touch gestures and use traditional scrolling.

ajaxodessa
Feb 27, 2011, 04:24 AM
You can turn off most of the Multi-Touch gestures and use traditional scrolling.
WHERE? Didn't find anything at all in System Prefs about reverting to normal scroll.

Steve Ballmer
Feb 27, 2011, 04:27 AM
WHERE? Didn't find anything at all in System Prefs about reverting to normal scroll.
It's the very first option in Mouse/Trackpad.

Yamcha
Feb 27, 2011, 04:34 AM
The pirated version works just fine. I'm really liking OSX Lion so far, I can't wait to use it!

Michaelgtrusa
Feb 27, 2011, 04:41 AM
The pirated version works just fine. I'm really liking OSX Lion so far, I can't wait to use it!

A risky move.

Steve Ballmer
Feb 27, 2011, 04:47 AM
A risky move.
There is no risk in using the pirated version. It's the exact same copy you get from ADC, and both contact swscan.apple.com which is used only for anonymous system statistics and nothing more.

apu1234
Feb 27, 2011, 04:55 AM
What are the system requirements for Lion?

Steve Ballmer
Feb 27, 2011, 04:56 AM
You need a minimum Core 2 Duo processor. Anywhere from 6-9 GB hard drive space. Apple claims you also need 10.6.6 installed but this is false.

Anything that can run Snow Leopard should be able to run Lion.

Michaelgtrusa
Feb 27, 2011, 05:07 AM

Create a second partition.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR
Feb 27, 2011, 05:19 AM
any changes in Stickies.app?

littleb2005
Feb 27, 2011, 06:02 AM
Thanks appleguy123! Yeah that's what I meant.

I wonder how this capability will interact with Time Machine.

While the user is logged in, is the disk unencrypted, or is it real time encryption/decryption? I wonder..

A new level of security.

Keep all the data on your Mac even more secure with XTS-AES 128 data encryption at the disk level. Initial encryption is fast and unobtrusive — it encrypts everything in the background while you work. FileVault also encrypts for your external drives, and provides the ability to wipe all the data from your Mac instantaneously.

read the part about background while you work

also While the user is logged in, is the disk unencrypted,

wouldn't that defeat the purpose of whole disk encryption so i say not going to happen i have a funny feeling the disk encryption is like pgp where the passphase or master key will allow you to decrypt and encrypt at will

it encrypts everything in the background while you work

which is what truecryt and pgp does also

which means the drive probley is encrypted at all times unless you unencrypted it at some point

the only things am wondering about is will the lion install dvd be able to read the encrypted partition's going to be pretty hard to restore from a time machine backup if it cant

AdrianK
Feb 27, 2011, 06:06 AM
Does lion add NTFS write support? really need this so i do not have to use my brothers computer to work on my windows server.

I doubt it (don't have an NTFS drive to test). You can get NTFS r/w support on SL with NTFS-3G anyway.

funrush
Feb 27, 2011, 06:51 AM
any changes in Stickies.app?

No changes, still sucks.

baddj
Feb 27, 2011, 08:04 AM
I doubt it (don't have an NTFS drive to test). You can get NTFS r/w support on SL with NTFS-3G anyway.

Is that free? As would not want to pay for something that should be in the OS

adamlbiscuit
Feb 27, 2011, 08:22 AM
How well does lion work without multi-touch peripherals? (Such as a mighty mouse.) Just wanting to know if I'll be able to install it on my mums Core 2 Duo MacBook which has a non-multi touch trackpad.

pitt1717
Feb 27, 2011, 08:57 AM
will quicktime/front row (if its still there) play mpeg(2) files with ac3 (5.1) audio. that is the 1 thing that aggravates me. the fact that i have to se vlc to play these files

mamouneyya
Feb 27, 2011, 09:06 AM
Anyone can check for me if an Arabic interface and/or any RTL enhancement was added? From Sys. Pref. try to make the Arabic as the first language in the list, restart and then tell me if the interface got translated. I'll appreciate it!

jpg
Feb 27, 2011, 09:07 AM
Is that free? As would not want to pay for something that should be in the OS

yep, there you go.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24481/ntfs-3g

alerus
Feb 27, 2011, 09:18 AM
If you choose to not have Dashboard in its own space does that give you back the semi-transparent overlay so that you can still see your screen behind the widgets?

Hellhammer
Feb 27, 2011, 09:24 AM
If you choose to not have Dashboard in its own space does that give you back the semi-transparent overlay so that you can still see your screen behind the widgets?

Yes.

http://cl.ly/0Z1a3b2Y0G2k1J3J112V/Screen_Shot_2011-02-27_at_17.22.57.png

Weaselboy
Feb 27, 2011, 09:25 AM
There is no risk in using the pirated version. It's the exact same copy you get from ADC, and both contact swscan.apple.com which is used only for anonymous system statistics and nothing more.

Nice try Steve... oh wait. :eek:

alerus
Feb 27, 2011, 09:26 AM
Yes.

http://cl.ly/0Z1a3b2Y0G2k1J3J112V/Screen_Shot_2011-02-27_at_17.22.57.png

Thanks! That's one fear subsided. Now if Apple would just bring back a proper form of all windows expose and spaces I'll be happy and will actually update when the final comes out.

hollerz
Feb 27, 2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks! That's one fear subsided. Now if Apple would just bring back a proper form of all windows expose and spaces I'll be happy and will actually update when the final comes out.

So basically you want Snow Leopard? You won't have to shell out any cash for a new OS this summer, why are you whinging?

alerus
Feb 27, 2011, 09:42 AM
So basically you want Snow Leopard? You won't have to shell out any cash for a new OS this summer, why are you whinging?

First of all, Apple isn't very old OS friendly. I could manage to not update for awhile, but eventually in order to use anything new I'd have to update the OS and if that means I lose my favorite OS features/implementations that's a problem. Apple also seems even less old-OS friendly if you are a developer, which I am.

Second of all, beyond my irritation with what Mission Control has done to expose and spaces, I do like the other features coming with the OS. I like the new mail, I like versioning, I like any edge window resizing, I like the new iCal, I like autosave, I like resume.

Should it be surprising that I want the new things that I like and want to keep the old mechanisms for the changes I do not like?

rorschach
Feb 27, 2011, 09:58 AM
-When you browse to a site like Gmail, Yahoo, etc. in Safari, a bar appears at the top that asks if you want to use the account with "other Mac OS X applications." If you click Set Up Account, it opens a "New Account" window in the Internet Accounts prefpane with your login automatically filled in.

-In Safari, command-clicking a link opens a new tab next to the current one rather than at the end (no option to change it though).

TheAppleDragon
Feb 27, 2011, 10:38 AM
How well does lion work without multi-touch peripherals? (Such as a mighty mouse.) Just wanting to know if I'll be able to install it on my mums Core 2 Duo MacBook which has a non-multi touch trackpad.
I still have a Mighty Mouse, and it seems to work okay.

The scrolling is a bit odd since it's designed for multi-touch, but you get used to it.

I can't seem to scroll up/down, but that may very well be because our mouse is so dirty the up/down scrolling has stopped working. ;P

jbg232
Feb 27, 2011, 11:20 AM
I still have a Mighty Mouse, and it seems to work okay.

The scrolling is a bit odd since it's designed for multi-touch, but you get used to it.

I can't seem to scroll up/down, but that may very well be because our mouse is so dirty the up/down scrolling has stopped working. ;P

Gross, just gross.

baryon
Feb 27, 2011, 04:21 PM
What other options are there for Four-Finger and Three-Finger Gestures? I know they can all be configured for Mission Control, but what else is there exactly for each gesture?

appleguy123
Feb 27, 2011, 05:15 PM
Anyone can check for me if an Arabic interface and/or any RTL enhancement was added? From Sys. Pref. try to make the Arabic as the first language in the list, restart and then tell me if the interface got translated. I'll appreciate it!

I did that for you in the other thread just a few moments ago. Go check there.

bluesloth
Feb 27, 2011, 07:13 PM
I saw one screenshot of the view options and it looked like 64 pixels was the smallest available vs. 16 now.

I like to keep the icons on my desktop small and with the label position on the right. I will be very unhappy if I have to go to jumbo icons.

PBF
Feb 27, 2011, 07:17 PM
I saw one screenshot of the view options and it looked like 64 pixels was the smallest available vs. 16 now.

I like to keep the icons on my desktop small and with the label position on the right. I will be very unhappy if I have to go to jumbo icons.
You can have your icons small in Lion just like is Snow Leopard. ;)

baddj
Feb 27, 2011, 07:21 PM
yep, there you go.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24481/ntfs-3g

Well downloaded it says it a 15day trial that's really free :|

abhimat.gautam
Feb 27, 2011, 08:47 PM
Anyone know if Lion has handwriting recognition for Hindi, similar to what Snow Leopard had for Chinese characters? I doubt it, but doesn’t hurt to ask.

gyus
Feb 27, 2011, 10:58 PM
does 10.7 auto capitalize the first letter at the beginning of a sentence in Mail? Pages had this option - and I thought surely apple was going to incorporate it into the OS

PBF
Feb 28, 2011, 12:20 AM
does 10.7 auto capitalize the first letter at the beginning of a sentence in Mail? Pages had this option - and I thought surely apple was going to incorporate it into the OS
Just tested in Mail. Nope, didn't capitalise for me.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR
Feb 28, 2011, 02:01 AM
You know in Windows when you have CAPS LOCK turned on, and you're writing in capital letters, if you press shift, that one letter will be in lower case... in Mac that doesn't happen, it just keeps on writing in upper case.

Can you please check if they did something about it?

iWonderwhy
Feb 28, 2011, 02:09 AM
Is it just me, or is the brushed metal theme a little bit lighter?

PBF
Feb 28, 2011, 02:32 AM
You know in Windows when you have CAPS LOCK turned on, and you're writing in capital letters, if you press shift, that one letter will be in lower case... in Mac that doesn't happen, it just keeps on writing in upper case.

Can you please check if they did something about it?
Nope.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR
Feb 28, 2011, 02:58 AM
Nope.

thanks for checking

*walks away disappointed*

another question: let's say I'm working on a really big document/project/etc and I did a lot of changes but didn't really need those changes. won't I have the option to turn off the "Versions" feature, and go back to using the normal "save" option? and, won't "versions" use a lot of disk space?

Cougarcat
Feb 28, 2011, 03:09 AM
thanks for checking

*walks away disappointed*

another question: let's say I'm working on a really big document/project/etc and I did a lot of changes but didn't really need those changes. won't I have the option to turn off the "Versions" feature, and go back to using the normal "save" option? and, won't "versions" use a lot of disk space?

You can lock douments which stops the autosaving. Versions saves incrementally, like Time Machine, so it shouldn't use much more space.

Macstories has a good writeup of how it works: http://www.macstories.net/stories/os-x-lion-walkthrough-versions-and-auto-save/

sascha h-k
Feb 28, 2011, 04:18 AM
i have no net with airport extreme on 5ghz ..

with 2.4ghz, also n, it's ok.

any idea ?

German
Feb 28, 2011, 04:43 AM
What about iChat and Jabber (XMPP)?
What about iChat Server (= Jabber server)?

Are there improvements? What about Jingle?

Lone Deranger
Feb 28, 2011, 05:43 AM
-In Safari, command-clicking a link opens a new tab next to the current one rather than at the end (no option to change it though).

Nice touch. Thanks for mentioning it. How about when you close tabs? Does it remember which tab you were previously active in? Like Firefox basically.

Salacion
Feb 28, 2011, 09:47 AM
Is it true that the system font is now Helvetica?

antmarobel
Feb 28, 2011, 10:47 AM
I've installed it here but I don't remember how much GB was required to install it. Do you remember the number required during the install process?...:confused:

ajvizzgamer101
Feb 28, 2011, 11:13 AM
Screenshot of Safari RSS? Any changes?

Steve Ballmer
Feb 28, 2011, 12:01 PM
Is it true that the system font is now Helvetica?
Doesn't appear to be.

ErikGrim
Feb 28, 2011, 07:07 PM

Can you please check if they did something about it?No. Also that's a retarded feature. Along with the caps-lock key in the first place.

Steve Ballmer
Feb 28, 2011, 07:11 PM
No. Also that's a retarded feature. Along with the caps-lock key in the first place.
Well it does make sense if Caps Lock is turned on, because then you'd expect pressing Shift would reverse the behavior, or create a lowercase letter. It's actually something I do wish Mac OS X would do.

But I agree with you about Caps Lock, pretty dumb key in the first place. On the very rare occasion I need something in all caps, I just hold down the Shift key anyway.

Mr.Texor
Feb 28, 2011, 07:19 PM
Can you put the QuickTime on "always on top"? :mad:

rorschach
Feb 28, 2011, 09:06 PM
Can you put the QuickTime on "always on top"? :mad:

Yes

appleguy123
Feb 28, 2011, 09:08 PM
Well it does make sense if Caps Lock is turned on, because then you'd expect pressing Shift would reverse the behavior, or create a lowercase letter. It's actually something I do wish Mac OS X would do.

But I agree with you about Caps Lock, pretty dumb key in the first place. On the very rare occasion I need something in all caps, I just hold down the Shift key anyway.

Mac OS lets you disable it or use it as a different modifier key in system prefs.

germinator
Mar 1, 2011, 07:54 AM
Lion is reportedly Java-free. That would be a disaster for me.

Could you please check if you can run ImageJ:
http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/

Thanks.

jeznav
Mar 1, 2011, 09:18 AM
Lion is reportedly Java-free. That would be a disaster for me.

Could you please check if you can run ImageJ:
http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/

Thanks.

Apple and Oracle are collaborating on OpenJDK project to create a successor to Java SE 6. They will be combining most of the key components, tools, and technology for a Java SE 7 implementation on Mac OS X.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/12/open_source_java_for_mac_code_released/

http://openjdk.java.net/projects/macosx-port/

iGrouch
Mar 1, 2011, 11:32 AM
Can you still put icons in the Finder Toolbar?

tourada
Mar 1, 2011, 11:44 AM
Can you still put icons in the Finder Toolbar?

Yes.

Graeme43
Mar 1, 2011, 06:20 PM
Even though I have 10.7... I find myself back with 10.6 enjoying it before all the software (updated) doesn't work on 10.6 anymore!!

I sent Apple a message about this... but on my 10.7 that I got from the App store... up=down and if you set it so up=up... right=left!!!

Anyone figured out to get up=up, down=down, left=left and right=right? It would be very helpful :D thanks :D

I know on iPad that moving up the screen shows you the bottom of the page.. but I am not on my iPad when I am at my Mac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cougarcat
Mar 1, 2011, 06:23 PM
Anyone figured out to get up=up, down=down, left=left and right=right? It would be very helpful :D thanks :D

Trackpad/mouse prefs.

Graeme43
Mar 1, 2011, 06:24 PM
Trackpad/mouse prefs.

I tried that! I got up to be up then it messed up left and right! I use trackpad and when I set up to = up then I had to swipe right for dashboard which used to be left.. and safari tabs done the same

linkandzelda
Mar 1, 2011, 08:28 PM
Just a quick Q: How can we get back the status bar in Finder? The one that says for example "iDisk is out of sync" at the bottom of the window.

Thanks in advance,
Kris

Steve Ballmer
Mar 1, 2011, 08:36 PM
Just a quick Q: How can we get back the status bar in Finder? The one that says for example "iDisk is out of sync" at the bottom of the window.

Thanks in advance,
Kris
It's all under View options, which has had Finder viewing preferences since 1984.

germinator
Mar 1, 2011, 10:53 PM
Apple and Oracle are collaborating on OpenJDK project to create a successor to Java SE 6. They will be combining most of the key components, tools, and technology for a Java SE 7 implementation on Mac OS X.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/12/open_source_java_for_mac_code_released/

http://openjdk.java.net/projects/macosx-port/

OK, I looked at the links.

They aren't very convincing---the project seems underwhelming.

My question is very simple: Will Lion at launch be able to run ImageJ?

mustgroove
Mar 1, 2011, 11:18 PM
In 10.5 and 10.6, there's a way to kill the 3D dock and use a 2D, 10.4-esque dock instead... details here: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2007101815375480

Does this still work in 10.7?

Cougarcat
Mar 1, 2011, 11:26 PM
In 10.5 and 10.6, there's a way to kill the 3D dock and use a 2D, 10.4-esque dock instead... details here: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2007101815375480

Does this still work in 10.7?

Yes.

Schlaefer
Mar 2, 2011, 04:40 AM
Are there any changes to System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts (> Services)?

Still long flat list(s) in a non resizable window?

Thanks in advance.

linkandzelda
Mar 2, 2011, 05:16 AM
It's all under View options, which has had Finder viewing preferences since 1984.

Thanks, i never actually looked at it before :)

RoelJuun
Mar 3, 2011, 07:45 AM
In another thread it was posted that you now can cut & paste in Lion. Can you please test this and report back, I still miss this function regularly.

Edit: added link to thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1105963

Redlum
Mar 3, 2011, 09:07 AM
Which version of the Darwin kernel is used?

You can check it in the System Profiler under Software or on the terminal with command 'uname -a'.

I'm interested because the new MacBook Pro is running a 10.7 version of the Darwin kernel on Snow Leopard. See this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1107791

linkandzelda
Mar 3, 2011, 11:11 AM
Which version of the Darwin kernel is used?

You can check it in the System Profiler under Software or on the terminal with command 'uname -a'.

I'm interested because the new MacBook Pro is running a 10.7 version of the Darwin kernel on Snow Leopard. See this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1107791

Its 11.0.0 for me on 2010 MBA 13"

akatsuki
Mar 3, 2011, 11:21 AM
Asked this elsewhere, but this is the more appropriate place:

Does iCal support different time zones for the beginning and end of an event? This is key for flights.

tourada
Mar 3, 2011, 11:38 AM
Asked this elsewhere, but this is the more appropriate place:

Does iCal support different time zones for the beginning and end of an event? This is key for flights.

Here's a quote from iCal help for you:

"By default, iCal events are displayed in your computer’s current time zone (set in Date & Time preferences). You can also choose to view all your iCal events in a different time zone. You may want to change the iCal time zone if you’ll be traveling to a different time zone and want to see your events shifted to the correct time for the new location."

Gofre
Mar 3, 2011, 11:59 AM
(Apologies if this has already been answered)

Is expose still present in Lion, or has Mission Control replaced it entirely?

ECUpirate44
Mar 3, 2011, 12:01 PM
(Apologies if this has already been answered)

Is expose still present in Lion, or has Mission Control replaced it entirely?

I believe mission control has replaced it, but I think the keyboard shortcut will work for mission control. Mission Control is really just an improved expose.

Cougarcat
Mar 3, 2011, 02:24 PM
I believe mission control has replaced it, but I think the keyboard shortcut will work for mission control. Mission Control is really just an improved expose.

Yes, MC has replaced the all windows-version of expose. The other modes work exactly as before.

Temuco
Mar 3, 2011, 03:02 PM
I'm waiting to buy a new macbook pro but will wait for Lion

Speedyparker87
Mar 3, 2011, 10:16 PM
I find it awkward resizing windows with the trackpad--one thing I definitely prefer the mouse to do. Anyone else feel this way?

Lots of times I want to resize a window immediately after moving it--so my cursor is already on the title bar. I think pinch to zoom on the title bar would be a really great way to resize windows because 1) it would just be easier than clicking and dragging corners and 2) my cursor is already hovering over the title bar. Did Apple happen to think this same way and build this behavior into Lion? Does anyone else think this would be a good idea?

baryon
Mar 4, 2011, 04:06 AM
I find it awkward resizing windows with the trackpad--one thing I definitely prefer the mouse to do. Anyone else feel this way?

Lots of times I want to resize a window immediately after moving it--so my cursor is already on the title bar. I think pinch to zoom on the title bar would be a really great way to resize windows because 1) it would just be easier than clicking and dragging corners and 2) my cursor is already hovering over the title bar. Did Apple happen to think this same way and build this behavior into Lion? Does anyone else think this would be a good idea?

But if you would resize a window with a pinch gesture, it would have to resize proportionally, because you would not be able to tell the window which side you want to resize. Say you have a finder window and you want to make it tall, so short at the top and long at the sides. How would you do that with a simple pinch/unpinch?

antmarobel
Mar 4, 2011, 05:52 AM
Don't know you someone has already asked it, but how can I save anything I write on Text Editor. Everytime I try to save it say I have no permission!...:mad:

Cougarcat
Mar 4, 2011, 05:58 AM
Don't know you someone has already asked it, but how can I save anything I write on Text Editor. Everytime I try to save it say I have no permission!...:mad:

You probably locked it. Unlock it in the top right corner.

pastavista
Mar 4, 2011, 06:15 AM
Have you tried to use custom stylesheet in Safari 5.1 on Lion? Is it true the browser does not support custom stylesheet?

antmarobel
Mar 4, 2011, 06:49 AM
You probably locked it. Unlock it in the top right corner.

Locked? No I did not!..."in the the top right corner"?...How...:confused:

Patrick946
Mar 4, 2011, 10:38 AM
Does Dashboard still function exactly the same? It always seemed like a half-baked feature to me. No one seems to develop Widgets anymore either, it's just a button to pull up calculator, weather and a calendar.

astroot
Mar 4, 2011, 01:57 PM
Does Dashboard still function exactly the same? It always seemed like a half-baked feature to me. No one seems to develop Widgets anymore either, it's just a button to pull up calculator, weather and a calendar.

Seems to function exactly the same, although granted I only looked at it for 10 seconds or so. It's fairly useless but I remember it being such a big deal when Tiger came out.

Steve Ballmer
Mar 4, 2011, 02:11 PM
Seems to function exactly the same, although granted I only looked at it for 10 seconds or so. It's fairly useless but I remember it being such a big deal when Tiger came out.
Did Dashcode ever really take off? It seems no one makes new Dashboard widgets anymore.

I find it useful for quickly checking sports scores, snow reports, etc. But even the Web Clip feature I don't use that much, just because it's not very often I need to check a very specific section of a web page.

muffinss
Mar 5, 2011, 12:32 AM
So how does this App resume thing work? Does Command+Q / Application Name - Quit still work? Can you turn off apps completely? Does the red button work universal now with all apps that it just closes the window and saves the application session. If quit is still there, when you open the app again, does it start a new session or open from its last? Can you disable it if you don't want your apps to open from its last session?

Can you still minimize apps and can you have more than one window open with apps? Like can I have six different Firefox or Finder windows open? Or does that conflict with the whole app resume thing?

With auto save, does it name the file for you and auto saves it to a folder? Or does it start auto saving once you manually save a file and name it? Does it allow you to name a file and save it where you want to? If you open textedit, put something in there, and then close out of it, can you not save or are you force to save and have to go back and manually delete the file?

How does scrolling work with a mouse? I have a Razer Naga and it has a scroll wheel. If it detects your using a regular mouse, does it use traditional scrolling? Or do you have to move the scroll wheel up to scroll down? If you don't have a trackpad, or a laptop, does it set its self to traditional scrolling by default?

Cougarcat
Mar 5, 2011, 01:15 AM
<lots of questions>

These questions have been addressed before (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1106048&highlight=guide), but to put it succinctly quitting apps is just as before, and you can choose to not save files, obviously. You have complete control of saving.

Window behavior is unchanged.

How does scrolling work with a mouse? I have a Razer Naga and it has a scroll wheel. If it detects your using a regular mouse, does it use traditional scrolling?

If you use a traditional mouse, scrolling direction is normal (but the iOS scrollbars are still there.)

Locked? No I did not!..."in the the top right corner"?...How...:confused:

See here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1106048&highlight=guide), fifth pic down.

muffinss
Mar 5, 2011, 01:47 AM
These questions have been addressed before (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1106048&highlight=guide), but to put it succinctly quitting apps is just as before, and you can choose to not save files, obviously. You have complete control of saving.

Window behavior is unchanged.

If I get it right, Cmd+W still just closes the window, it doesn't exit the app correct? If Cmd+Q closes the app, but saves the file, doesn't that mean you have to Cmd+W, not save, reopen the app window again, and then Cmd+Q to actually quit it?

Reason I ask is because I use textedit a lot to save temporary stuff. Like to remove formatted text and whatnot.

Cougarcat
Mar 5, 2011, 01:53 AM
So, if I get it right, Cmd+W closes the window, it
doesn't exit the app correct?

Yes, just as before.

If Cmd+Q closes the app, but saves the file, doesn't that mean you have to Cmd+W, not save, reopen the app, and then Cmd+Q to actually quit it?

No. Command-Q quits and app regardless of whether you have documents open. Those documents will be there when you relaunch the app.

muffinss
Mar 5, 2011, 02:00 AM
Yes, just as before.

No. Command-Q quits and app regardless of whether you have documents open. Those documents will be there when you relaunch the app.

Thats what I kinda mean, what if I don't want those documents to be there? What if I just want a clean session. From what I read in that link, Cmd+Q closes the app just like before, but it auto saves the file. What if I don't want it to auto save? From what the link said, the only way to not have it auto save is to close the window of the app, choose not to save when the dialog box comes up, and then close the program using Cmd+Q/File - Quit.

From what it sounds like, closing an app is now a two step process. Close the window of the app first, then File - Quit / Cmd+Q.

Cougarcat
Mar 5, 2011, 02:28 AM
From what it sounds like, closing an app is now a two step process. Close the window of the app first, then File - Quit / Cmd+Q.

Yes, you're right. However, it will only automatically load documents which you haven't saved to a particular location. In most instances, command-Q is all you'll need to do.

It should be noted that Apple wants you to perceive closing apps as unnecessary, which is why there are no indicators on the dock by default. If you're done, close your window; if OS X detects an app that has no windows open and isn't being used, it will quit it automatically (for some apps, at least; its behavior seems to be a bit erratic and inconsistent at the moment.)

muffinss
Mar 5, 2011, 02:35 AM
Yes, you're right. Interestingly, Lion has an option-quit functionality which reads, "Quit and Keep Windows," which does the exact same thing as quit, closing the app and autosaving (Safari doesn't resume as the default; not sure why). I expect the old functionality used to be the default, and the resume feature had to be explicitly picked. If this is true, then we can probably expect that option-quit will change to "Quit and Discard Changes," which will quit the app and discard unsaved documents.

I wonder how this behavior will effect games, and certain apps like Ventrilo and Photoshop. I connect to multiple servers and different names. I don't want it saving the last vent I was in, and auto logging me back into that vent. I play WoW a lot and constantly join different vents for public raids. Some games I can't even close the window, like Starcraft 2 for example. What will it try to do? Log me back in and reopen the match that I was in because last session I just did Cmd+Q while I was in a match? I wonder how this will even effect Photoshop. Reopen the last image you were editing? What happens if you deleted the photo?

There's just some apps/stuff you don't want to resume back into its last session and you want it to start fresh.

Cougarcat
Mar 5, 2011, 02:49 AM
There's just some apps/stuff you don't want to resume back into its last session and you want it to start fresh.

For apps where it doesn't make sense, it won't be added. It's optional stuff that the developer has to add to the app. For Photopshop, I expect it'll work just like TextEdit, once Adobe adds support for Resume/Versions. Documents only reappear on launch when they aren't saved to a location and named yet, so you won't have that issue you mentioned.

muffinss
Mar 5, 2011, 02:55 AM
For apps where it doesn't make sense, it won't be added. It's optional stuff that the developer has to add to the app. For Photopshop, I expect it'll work just like TextEdit, once Adobe adds support for Resume/Versions. Documents only reappear on launch when they aren't saved to a location and named yet, so you won't have that issue you mentioned.

Ah, that's good to hear. Thanks for help :] I'm now looking forward to Lion!

Shambles
Mar 5, 2011, 04:17 AM
Is there a full screen mode in Safari?
If so can someone post a screenshot of what it looks like?
Thanks

Mr.Texor
Mar 5, 2011, 08:02 PM
Can you put QuickTime on "always on top"? :mad:

Yes

ok, I'm getting conflicting reports on this.
Can anyone please confirm/deny that QuickTime has an option to put each window on "always on top"? A screen shot would be really nice :D thanks

baryon
Mar 6, 2011, 04:08 AM
What about Apps like Skype that show your online status to your contacts. If you close a Skype window, will you still be "online", or will the OS decide that it will now quit Skype because you haven't touched it for a while? If not, what if you no longer want to be online, you do have to quit Skype in that case, so quitting apps is actually something you DO have to worry about, isn't it?

Lord Appleseed
Mar 6, 2011, 04:14 AM
What about Apps like Skype that show your online status to your contacts. If you close a Skype window, will you still be "online", or will the OS decide that it will now quit Skype because you haven't touched it for a while? If not, what if you no longer want to be online, you do have to quit Skype in that case, so quitting apps is actually something you DO have to worry about, isn't it?

Yes Skype is running even if you close the window, like it has always been with Macs.
I find it kind of strange too that they decided to use such a "feature".

Cougarcat
Mar 6, 2011, 04:17 AM

Apps won't quit if they are being used, including using the Internet. Logging off in an IM program works the same as before...either quit the app, or change your status.

Lord Appleseed
Mar 6, 2011, 04:27 AM
Thankshttp://i56.tinypic.com/t6flux.jpg

qstyler
Mar 6, 2011, 05:52 AM
Can you please download “Java Web Components” from apple site and upload somewhere?
You have to be registered developer to do that. And as far as I got it you are one of them!
Thank you!

antmarobel
Mar 6, 2011, 06:03 AM
I'm quite curious about one thing...Have some, who is running ONLY Lion, tried to install Snow Leopard in another partition, i.e, made the inverse way...?:D

jackeill
Mar 6, 2011, 06:34 AM
Could the font in finder sidebar be resized? It is way too big in Lion.

Lord Appleseed
Mar 6, 2011, 07:17 AM
Can you please download “Java Web Components” from apple site and upload somewhere?
You have to be registered developer to do that. And as far as I got it you are one of them!
Thank you!

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/01/28/041-0168/g4zG6YjZndFK47JS9VBYHc33HxqB98HqCG/JavaRuntimeForMacOSX10.7.pkg

SWarrior
Mar 6, 2011, 08:02 AM
Does AirDrop shows in Finder's sidebar on your MBA?
When you click on Software in System Profiler does it show TRIM=yes?

ErikGrim
Mar 6, 2011, 08:20 AM
If you use a traditional mouse, scrolling direction is normal (but the iOS scrollbars are still there.)
Untrue. The scrolling is inverted with any mouse by default.

Tedaus17
Mar 6, 2011, 08:21 AM
Probably a silly question, but is there any improvement on the slow internet issue with the iMac 27' and the 21.5" if you upgrade to Lion from Snow Leopard?
I doubt there is, but one can hope....

Lord Appleseed
Mar 6, 2011, 10:26 AM
Probably a silly question, but is there any improvement on the slow internet issue with the iMac 27' and the 21.5" if you upgrade to Lion from Snow Leopard?
I doubt there is, but one can hope....

I was not aware of any issue related to iMac and Internet, please elaborate.

qstyler
Mar 6, 2011, 05:32 PM
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/01/28/041-0168/g4zG6YjZndFK47JS9VBYHc33HxqB98HqCG/JavaRuntimeForMacOSX10.7.pkg

That's Java Runtime. Not “web components”. They're different things.
I need web components to run applets.

Mr.Texor
Mar 6, 2011, 07:22 PM
That's Java Runtime. Not “web components”. They're different things.
I need web components to run applets.

The Java Runtime Environment should have the java virtual machine and all the components needed to run applets and java applications. If it's not working for you, probably you need to turn java on in your Safari preferences.

Note: I do not have lion with me, but the Java Runtime has always had the virtual machine and components to run applets.

qstyler
Mar 7, 2011, 02:49 AM
The Java Runtime Environment should have the java virtual machine and all the components needed to run applets and java applications. If it's not working for you, probably you need to turn java on in your Safari preferences.

Note: I do not have lion with me, but the Java Runtime has always had the virtual machine and components to run applets.

Don't you think that I tried that already?
“Java Web Components” isn't a part of “Java Runtime Environment” package.
So when you go here http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp you get this “missing plugin” message.
http://f.cl.ly/items/3Z3o2q2d0Q3h3H3y0p2x/step%201.png

And when you click on it you get this:
http://cl.ly/0v1U1r3O1n3O0J1b1a09/step_2.png

And when you finally click “Download” and log in with my regular apple id this is the message I get:
http://f.cl.ly/items/3q0u3h152k0g2b3t3O2K/step%203.png

So again. Please anyone who has this Developer account. Get this “web components” for us, commoners.

tpr007
Mar 7, 2011, 08:21 AM
I just had to install Rosetta onto Snow Leopard in order to run an old PPC game (Fallout 2) and looking into it a bit, it seems that rosetta will not come with OR be available as an option to download on Lion. So, does that mean no more PPC compatible programs?

tonka2
Mar 8, 2011, 08:47 AM
Thanks

As far as I know there is no full screen mode presently with Safari, but if you download the app Glims, it gives you the option in Safari menu to go full screen.

Trixx89
Mar 8, 2011, 02:47 PM
I just installed Lion without a partition. How can i go back to SL. I still have the original Installation dvd. But when I startup the disk it doesnt allow me to use my hard drive.

belvdr
Mar 8, 2011, 02:52 PM
I just installed Lion without a partition. How can i go back to SL. I still have the original Installation dvd. But when I startup the disk it doesnt allow me to use my hard drive.

Go into Disk Utility from your installation DVD and repartition the drive with 1 partition. You might be able to just erase the existing partition, but repartitioning will surely work.

Cougarcat
Mar 8, 2011, 03:02 PM
As far as I know there is no full screen mode presently with Safari, but if you download the app Glims, it gives you the option in Safari menu to go full screen.

There is fullscreen safari in Lion.

I just had to install Rosetta onto Snow Leopard in order to run an old PPC game (Fallout 2) and looking into it a bit, it seems that rosetta will not come with OR be available as an option to download on Lion. So, does that mean no more PPC compatible programs?

Yes, unfortunately.

ok, I'm getting conflicting reports on this.
Can anyone please confirm/deny that QuickTime has an option to put each window on "always on top"?

Yes, you go to view-"Float on Top".

poobear
Mar 8, 2011, 03:03 PM
Maybe you shouldn't give answers about Lion if you haven't tested it yourself? Full screen mode in Apples apps is one of the hot features.

Matthew.
Mar 8, 2011, 07:10 PM
Has anyone noticed if the wandering weather widget bug has been fixed?

Tim3308
Mar 8, 2011, 09:16 PM
So, you like Apple denying user's access (for all intensive purposes) to their own library folder Holder of app prefs, user brushes in Photoshop, etc. etc?

Terrible move, terrible. So the OS can ape a friggin' iPad? Gimme a break. Talk about lowest common denominator... Let Apple know.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3516963#3516963

Lafayette1834
Mar 8, 2011, 11:03 PM
Hi! Thanks to everyone who's doing this! Quick question about Airdrop...

Are you able to run Airdrop in the background? Or do you need to have a finder window open to the Airdrop page?

Also, can computers that are not connected to wireless at all communicate via Airdrop?

Thanks so much!

Mr.Texor
Mar 9, 2011, 12:23 AM
So, you like Apple denying user's access (for all intensive purposes) to their own library folder Holder of app prefs, user brushes in Photoshop, etc. etc?

This is not exactly true. Let me try to explain some stuff that is going on.

If you have used Windows before you might notice that there is a folder in "My documents" that is hidden. Applications use it to store their data. I believe versions before W7, it was called "Application Data." On Windows 7, I believe, it's called "AppData."

If you have used any Unix system (including Linux and Mac OS X), you can find a lot of hidden files that have application configuration files (and other stuff) that are hidden in from the user. They usually reside in your home folder and their file names begin with a "." (a dot). When the first character in a file is a dot, that means it's a hidden file. Have you seen the file .DS_Store in pretty much any Mac folder? That's a hidden file used by Finder.

What Apple has done is make the library hidden. That does not mean you cannot access it. It just means that if you don't need to access it, you wont even see it. As pretty much anything in life, hidding files/folders have their pros and cons.

One of the cons is that it will take 1 or 2 extra steps to access it unless you create a shortcut to said folder or unhide it. (remember most app pref files are usually better left alone or edited only using said app)

Some pros are: A user that doesn't know what the folder is wont try to delete it, clearing all his configuration files and what not. Another pro: as most of these files are not used as much, you don't have to see them every time you are looking for stuff using finder.

If Apple has done anything wrong was to encourage developers the use of the Library folder as a dumping place for files that should be placed in a different place. (this includes fonts imo).

The best thing that can happen to the Library folder is for it to become a place where only configuration files are stored. That way, it makes transferring your configuration files to another machines fast and easy. I think with this change, Apple is now encouraging developers to only store the app prefs in the Library folder and the rest of files somewhere else.

If the folder where brushes are located is used a lot, then the better solution would be for Adobe to change the location of said file. Even if they don't, it's not hard to get into the Library folder in Lion. Probably Adobe would just post a how-to on accessing said folder.

baryon
Mar 9, 2011, 03:51 AM

Photoshop stores all of its user preferences and Brushes in the Applications folder, not in the Library.

jeanlain
Mar 9, 2011, 07:45 AM
- Is the new Quicktime Player still compatible with flip4mac? IOW, does it accept wmv files?
Same question regarding perian and mkv files.

- Can Quicktime Player X play non-mpeg4 files natively ? IOW, if you open another type of file (say avi or DV), does it launch "QTkit server"?

Thanks. :)

Tim3308
Mar 9, 2011, 11:33 AM
Photoshop stores all of its user preferences and Brushes in the Applications folder, not in the Library.

Settings are in the user library under prefs folder. Also in the user library is the "application support" folder which contains the Adobe folder for CS5 apps(and many other non adobe apps mind you). In there it is advisable to store all your user custom brushes, etc. (simply part of backing up one's user folder/data). Also if your store there, they are loaded into PS at startup in their own divided section, conveniently delineating them from stock brushes, etc.

bedifferent
Mar 9, 2011, 07:48 PM
- Is the new Quicktime Player still compatible with flip4mac? IOW, does it accept wmv files?
Same question regarding perian and mkv files.

- Can Quicktime Player X play non-mpeg4 files natively ? IOW, if you open another type of file (say avi or DV), does it launch "QTkit server"?

Thanks. :)

Yup :) Perian works well too.

bedifferent
Mar 9, 2011, 08:30 PM
Does AirDrop shows in Finder's sidebar on your MBA?
When you click on Software in System Profiler does it show TRIM=yes?

No and No. I'm running Lion on a 2010 6-Core Westmere Pro and a 2009 27" iMac. On the iMac Airdrop is available but not on my Mac Pro.

I have an OCZ Vertex 2 on my Mac Pro and a OWC Mercury on the iMac, and "System Profiler" lists neither as being TRIM supported.

Apple mentioned TRIM support for Sandforce SSD's as the beta's are released, so hopefully it's only a matter of time. However I can not understand why Airdrop on my new Mac Pro isn't available between the iMac and Pro on the same network with sharing fully configured.

applepod124
Mar 9, 2011, 08:57 PM

I love you.

baryon
Mar 10, 2011, 04:02 AM
Settings are in the user library under prefs folder. Also in the user library is the "application support" folder which contains the Adobe folder for CS5 apps(and many other non adobe apps mind you). In there it is advisable to store all your user custom brushes, etc. (simply part of backing up one's user folder/data). Also if your store there, they are loaded into PS at startup in their own divided section, conveniently delineating them from stock brushes, etc.

Oh that's cool, sorry, I didn't know that! Can you tell me the exact path of where to put Brushes for example in there?

Tim3308
Mar 10, 2011, 09:24 AM
user>library>application support>adobe>adobe photoshop cs5>presets>brushes(or tools folder for user saved tool presets)

ScoobyMcDoo
Mar 11, 2011, 10:05 AM
On SL, the mail app doesn't do a very good job of rendering messages from outlook users (which is almost everyone but me at my company). Funny thing is, my iphone has always done a much better job at rending these messages from outlook. So, I was wondering if Lion is showing any promise for dealing with these message at least as well as the iOS mail seems to.

henkim21
Mar 22, 2011, 01:51 PM
have you noticed any safari performance improvements?

andurilukr
Mar 24, 2011, 01:10 PM
what has happened to dock expose? is it integrated with mission control, or still a separate feature? and is there any way to see minimized windows in either expose or mission control?

macmikey2
Mar 24, 2011, 01:27 PM
seems to only occur in textedit

And in Mail. It is like the IOS autocorrect. I will assume it will be in all Apple apps eventually. Hopefully 3rd party as well.

muffinss
Mar 25, 2011, 05:42 PM
This is not exactly true. Let me try to explain some stuff that is going on.

If you have used Windows before you might notice that there is a folder in "My documents" that is hidden. Applications use it to store their data. I believe versions before W7, it was called "Application Data." On Windows 7, I believe, it's called "AppData."

If you have used any Unix system (including Linux and Mac OS X), you can find a lot of hidden files that have application configuration files (and other stuff) that are hidden in from the user. They usually reside in your home folder and their file names begin with a "." (a dot). When the first character in a file is a dot, that means it's a hidden file. Have you seen the file .DS_Store in pretty much any Mac folder? That's a hidden file used by Finder.

What Apple has done is make the library hidden. That does not mean you cannot access it. It just means that if you don't need to access it, you wont even see it. As pretty much anything in life, hidding files/folders have their pros and cons.

One of the cons is that it will take 1 or 2 extra steps to access it unless you create a shortcut to said folder or unhide it. (remember most app pref files are usually better left alone or edited only using said app)

Some pros are: A user that doesn't know what the folder is wont try to delete it, clearing all his configuration files and what not. Another pro: as most of these files are not used as much, you don't have to see them every time you are looking for stuff using finder.

If Apple has done anything wrong was to encourage developers the use of the Library folder as a dumping place for files that should be placed in a different place. (this includes fonts imo).

The best thing that can happen to the Library folder is for it to become a place where only configuration files are stored. That way, it makes transferring your configuration files to another machines fast and easy. I think with this change, Apple is now encouraging developers to only store the app prefs in the Library folder and the rest of files somewhere else.

If the folder where brushes are located is used a lot, then the better solution would be for Adobe to change the location of said file. Even if they don't, it's not hard to get into the Library folder in Lion. Probably Adobe would just post a how-to on accessing said folder.

At least in Windows and Linux/Unix most, if not all, file managers for those platforms have a "Show hidden Files/Folders" option in the view menu. Apple does not.

I like the idea of them making it hidden, simply because it makes our home folder look cleaner, but not making it somewhat easy to view hidden files, and something like our own library folder is lame. If they don't add an option of being able to view hidden files and folders then they are indeed, going way to far with this one. Why can't they just make a "view hidden files/folders" option? Have it be able to turn off and on like in Windows/Linux/Unix file managers and have it be set to off by default and prompt the user how it could be "dangerous" if they don't know what they are doing if they turn it on. It be simple.

mif
Mar 26, 2011, 10:11 PM
Xcode 4? Any thoughts?

nebulos
Mar 27, 2011, 12:16 AM
didn't read, but did search. doesn't seem like its been asked, or answered at least:

resolution independence???

;)

djrod
Mar 27, 2011, 12:03 PM
At least in Windows and Linux/Unix most, if not all, file managers for those platforms have a "Show hidden Files/Folders" option in the view menu. Apple does not.

I like the idea of them making it hidden, simply because it makes our home folder look cleaner, but not making it somewhat easy to view hidden files, and something like our own library folder is lame. If they don't add an option of being able to view hidden files and folders then they are indeed, going way to far with this one. Why can't they just make a "view hidden files/folders" option? Have it be able to turn off and on like in Windows/Linux/Unix file managers and have it be set to off by default and prompt the user how it could be "dangerous" if they don't know what they are doing if they turn it on. It be simple.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/developer/hiddenfiles.html

poobear
Mar 27, 2011, 01:32 PM

Finder > Go > Go to folder > ~/Library.

feare
Mar 27, 2011, 03:30 PM
Xcode 4? Any thoughts?

It was really confusing for me at first. Interface Builder and Xcode have been merged, and there are a couple minor changes that just kinda served to throw me off a little bit. Otherwise I'd say it is a nice improvement.

Lion is pretty awesome, though after a couple weeks of use the bugs have been getting at me. Here are the biggest ones at the moment:
1. Getting a MBP to sleep when put into clamshell mode takes WAY too long. It is almost instantaneous on SL but can take 10s or more on Lion.
2. Launchpad is the most bugged-up part of Lion right now. Moving apps and deleting them has serious problems.
3. Full screen apps on a dual-display set-up renders the secondary display useless.
4. I can't get flash 10 to work with Firefox 4. Safari has been improved but the ugly, blurry font is annoying the goddamn hell out of me and FF4 just has a nicer/crisper look to it.
5. Wifi must be restarted after awakening the computer from sleep

Obviously I understand this is just the developer preview. As long as I don't use Lion while my laptop is on battery power it's fine.

Otherwise, most of the new features are really slick. Probably the most notable thing about Lion is that everything is crisper and sharper, from the menubar to the apps. Noticed this on both my cinema display and my laptop.

mif
Mar 28, 2011, 02:59 AM
Thanks.

samwise
Mar 28, 2011, 07:14 AM
Someone with Lion and the Lion Safari, what do you see when you view the first post in this (http://modernvespa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1114754) thread?

It should be like this:

http://samwise.smugmug.com/Other/Other-Stuff/MV/1231397492_akZzK-O.jpg

Compile 'em all
Mar 28, 2011, 07:24 AM
Thats what I kinda mean, what if I don't want those documents to be there? What if I just want a clean session. From what I read in that link, Cmd+Q closes the app just like before, but it auto saves the file. What if I don't want it to auto save? From what the link said, the only way to not have it auto save is to close the window of the app, choose not to save when the dialog box comes up, and then close the program using Cmd+Q/File - Quit.

What is it that you don't get? You are not supposed to think about "a process" or "closing". Why would in this day and age would you want to care? People use their computers to get work done. Not spend their lives managing file systems and "thinking" about quitting and not quitting. The iPhone has way limited resources than a Mac yet it does an excellent job taking care of these things. Also, the fact that you think that the way to start "a new session" is quitting an app and relaunching it is WRONG.

I can understand though why nerds are going crazy about this whole Lion thing. Suddenly they will be left with too much time on their hands and they have to get out of their mums basements.

macmikey2
Mar 28, 2011, 07:35 AM
Someone with Lion and the Lion Safari, what do you see when you view the first post in this (http://modernvespa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1114754) thread?

It should be like this:

Chrome Beta 11.xxx Looks just like the above post. Nothing missing/wrong

InsanelyApple
Mar 29, 2011, 08:56 PM

It should be like this:

Posting on my Cr-48 chromebook and it appears correctly on that thread.

Chrome OS 0.11.257.32 (Official Build) dev-channel x86-mario
Google Chrome 11.0.696.22

Sydde
Mar 30, 2011, 01:34 AM

I like the idea of them making it hidden, simply because it makes our home folder look cleaner, but not making it somewhat easy to view hidden files, and something like our own library folder is lame.

Simple solution. Create an alias or symlink either in a convenient location or in the Finder's sidebar. If you are smart enough to manage your Library folder yourself (unlike the, ahem, Lion's share of users) you are smart enough to create a quick entry point to it. In reality, Apple should have Library In Sidebar as a Finder Preferences option under the "Advanced" tab.

kntgsp
Mar 30, 2011, 10:54 AM
Do applications not installed via the App Store show up under LaunchPad by default?

If not is there a way to add them?

Cougarcat
Mar 30, 2011, 06:47 PM
Do applications not installed via the App Store show up under LaunchPad by default?

If not is there a way to add them?

If they are in your Applications folder, they'll show up by default.

mj8258
Apr 9, 2011, 10:20 AM
i tried to install lion preview 2 on my mba, but it give me error message, and tell me to restart installation. when boot up from dvd, installing screen show up, no language selection.

thank you