PDA

View Full Version : How do you add/remove apps from Launchpad?

PBF
Feb 26, 2011, 02:42 AM
Can't figure this one out. Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Steve Ballmer
Feb 26, 2011, 02:43 AM
Not easily.

kepner
Feb 26, 2011, 03:19 AM
Command-Option-Control-Click on the icon you want to disappear immediately. (I have no idea why the **** I thought to try this.)

Dropping an app icon from the Finder onto the Launchpad icon in the Dock will add the app to Launchpad.

kirky29
Feb 26, 2011, 04:46 AM
Command-Option-Control-Click on the icon you want to disappear immediately. (I have no idea why the **** I thought to try this.)

Dropping an app icon from the Finder onto the Launchpad icon in the Dock will add the app to Launchpad.

Thank you! I was trying loads of random keys last night, thinking, ahh Apple won't make me press more than 3 keys! ;-)

RcktMan77
Feb 26, 2011, 10:36 AM
That works for individual apps, but how do you remove pre-existing folders? I've tried removing the individual apps from the folder itself, but ended up with just an empty folder that I can't get rid of.

kirky29
Feb 26, 2011, 10:41 AM
That works for individual apps, but how do you remove pre-existing folders? I've tried removing the individual apps from the folder itself, but ended up with just an empty folder that I can't get rid of.

I had that problem, but this worked for me.
Drag an app into the folder on launchpad, then drag it out again. That got rid of the folder for me.

PBF
Feb 26, 2011, 11:02 AM
Awesome!!! Thanks, guys, for all the tips!! Everything worked like a charm.

PBF
Feb 26, 2011, 06:29 PM
Bug as expected: after computer restart, my Launchpad reset itself. As a result, lost my custom app order as well as folders. Ugh..

For now, not using Launchpad until it's stable. Using Spotlight instead.

goobot
Feb 26, 2011, 06:40 PM
Hey does anyone know if holding command while selecting apps works or not? Also does command a select the apps on that page/folder or all of them in launch pad? Thx

PBF
Feb 26, 2011, 06:47 PM
Hey does anyone know if holding command while selecting apps works or not? Also does command a select the apps on that page/folder or all of them in launch pad? Thx
At its current state, Launchpad is quite inflexible. All you can do is drag apps around, merge them into folders, add, delete.

Actually, what else is needed anyway? :D

macintoshosxi
Apr 11, 2011, 08:40 PM

I tried that but it didn't work, please help.

How do you completely remove final cut pro 7?

Thanks in Advance

PBF
Apr 12, 2011, 12:52 AM
I tried that but it didn't work, please help.

How do you completely remove final cut pro 7?

Thanks in Advance
While holding down command+option+control, mouse-click and hold any app icon until it stops wiggling; while still holding down command+option+control, mouse-click the icon again to remove it.

garagethrash
Apr 12, 2011, 05:13 AM
It's alarming how poorly implemented launchpad is for what seems like a simple feature. at the moment it lacks the refinement that is usual for apple. for instance, you can't drag apps to the launchpad icon to add them. and how hard it is to delete something is just bonkers. This OS isn't coming out any time soon i don't think

Killerbob
Apr 18, 2011, 12:22 AM
Bug as expected: after computer restart, my Launchpad reset itself.

I have tried everything; fixing my personalization again, saving the files in the "dock" folder and putting them back, and going with just a few changes, but with no other result other than a reset upon reboot.

Funny thing is this actually worked before the latest update, both in DP1 and DP2.

I have three files in the "dock" folder, a .db, a .corrupt, and a .db-journal file.

How many people are having problems with LP?

Bo

bedifferent
Apr 18, 2011, 09:18 AM
No need for the three keys, just hit the "Alt/Option" key now.

PBF
Apr 18, 2011, 12:56 PM
No need for the three keys, just hit the "Alt/Option" key now.
I can confirm, it doesn't work with just one key. Still requires all three keys to remove an app. You can make 'em wiggle with just one key, but not remove.

kepner
Apr 18, 2011, 08:04 PM
You can make 'em wiggle with just one key, but not remove.

You can remove apps in wiggle mode, but only App Store apps.

bedifferent
Apr 18, 2011, 10:48 PM
You can remove apps in wiggle mode, but only App Store apps.

Yeah I was gonna say, three keys is the same, I've tried both. Nada, only App Store Apps can be removed. :(

ChainsawBuddha
Jul 20, 2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah I was gonna say, three keys is the same, I've tried both. Nada, only App Store Apps can be removed. :(

This is annoying. I have all of these Adobe uninstaller apps taking up my page. Very poorly implemented and this needs to fixed fast! Wish I could remove apps that weren't just from the app store.

definitive
Jul 20, 2011, 09:08 PM
This is annoying. I have all of these Adobe uninstaller apps taking up my page. Very poorly implemented and this needs to fixed fast! Wish I could remove apps that weren't just from the app store.

lol im having the same issue with the uninstallers. shame that this thing doesn't have a simple configuration process.

ChainsawBuddha
Jul 20, 2011, 09:09 PM
lol im having the same issue with the uninstallers. shame that this thing doesn't have a simple configuration process.

I know. There are so many apps getting in the way. Lost in a sea of icons.

Wafflefruit
Jul 21, 2011, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I have the same problem with the adobe uninstallers. I just put them all in a folder and shoved them to the back. Same thing with some other apps that I don't want in launchpad but don't want to delete. I also wish you could slide over to the left and do a spotlight search like on iOS. It may be nice to have a full spotlight search there, but I was mainly thinking just launchpad apps. I have like 10 pages, and it is hard to search through. :rolleyes:

Michael.Hill
Jul 22, 2011, 09:43 AM
I actually came here looking for a solution to the exact same problem with Adobe uninstallers. Hopefully Apple fixes this in an update.

Chaggi
Jul 22, 2011, 09:55 AM
I have the same problem with SC2 app, I just put it in another window.

jive turkey
Jul 22, 2011, 10:07 AM
So you can't add programs to Launchpad unless you have the LP on your dock? I just assumed when you downloaded a new program and moved it to the app folder that Launchpad would pick it up.

Edit: It wasn't finding the app I added because that app was in a folder. I took it out of the folder and now Launchpad sees it. I guess it only picks up new apps if they are directly under /Applications?

legarejp
Jul 22, 2011, 10:16 AM
Anyone tried Launchpad DB modification?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1194015

svkrzn
Jul 23, 2011, 04:57 AM

For mi this key combo just opens the app in launchpad. It won't be removed.

iPlaid
Jul 25, 2011, 08:51 PM
For non-Mac App Store apps, I found I had to hide them from LaunchPad. One way to do that is to zip them up, put the originals in the Trash and Empty it.

Then go into LaunchPad and click on the unwanted icons as if to launch them. They'll get a ? over them. Then you can click and hold the mouse on one of them, all the icons will start wiggling, and the ones for the apps you zipped up and trashed the originals will have a delete X on them.

I don't know if LaunchPad will find them again if you unzip them. I had to delete icons it made from old Crossover/Mac launchers Crossover had installed in ~/Applications. I probably have no need to unzip those again, but I'm keeping them in Old_Crossover_Apps.zip.

I suspect this is what will happen when you trash an app from the Applications folder to get rid of it.

Hope this helps.

slicktor
Jul 26, 2011, 02:01 AM
That is a lot of trouble just to remove some pointless adobe un-installers and fluff that accompanies certain applications. I really hope Apple fixes this soon. It makes launchpad look terrible and unorganized!

Ropie
Jul 26, 2011, 02:28 AM
Tried this?

http://gnuu.org/2011/07/21/clearing-launchpad-and-other-osx-lion-tips/

Working like a charm for me.

parish
Jul 26, 2011, 02:49 AM
That is a lot of trouble just to remove some pointless adobe un-installers and fluff that accompanies certain applications. I really hope Apple fixes this soon. It makes launchpad look terrible and unorganized!

But is it actually broken?

The negative comments about Launchpad seem to be due to people wanting to have the same level of control as icons on the desktop, i.e. as though it is like a floating desktop.

Maybe I've got the wrong idea, but to me it's an iOS feature on OS X that replicates the look and feel of the home screen on an iDevice. In iOS the only way to remove an app from the home screen on iOS is to delete it. The way to organize it is to put your most used apps on the first screen and the rest on other screens with the least used (and unused built-in apps, which can't be deleted) on the last screen, optionally grouping them in folders.

Personally, I don't use LP as I put my most commonly used apps in the dock and for the rest I use Finder. Obviously there is limited space on the dock so you might not be able to get all your common apps on there.

I read somewhere that the idea behind LP seems to be to make Macs easier to migrate to for PC users who have an iDevice - they don't need to trawl through Finder to find apps, they are all presented in one easily accessible place. It seems that apps will appear in LP no matter where they are on disk.

As for uninstallers, OK so the OS could take a shrewd guess that they aren't really apps in the normal sense if the name contains 'uninstall' but there's still going to be apps that aren't "normal" apps that it won't be able to detect.

Seems to me that if LP doesn't fit in with your way of using OS X - like it doesn't for me - then don't use it. It is just new way of launching apps and all the old ways are still available.

oBMTo
Jul 27, 2011, 10:16 PM
This is so annoyingggggggggg

Kieke09
Jul 29, 2011, 03:41 AM
Maybe you'll like this tool:

http://chaosspace.de/dev/launchpad-control-hide-apps-from-launchpad/

ZipZap
Jul 29, 2011, 05:56 AM
Bug as expected: after computer restart, my Launchpad reset itself. As a result, lost my custom app order as well as folders. Ugh..

For now, not using Launchpad until it's stable. Using Spotlight instead.

Why am I not surprised by this....Can you imagine the backlash if this happended on the Ipad.

ZipZap
Jul 29, 2011, 06:02 AM
But is it actually broken?

The negative comments about Launchpad seem to be due to people wanting to have the same level of control as icons on the desktop, i.e. as though it is like a floating desktop.

Maybe I've got the wrong idea, but to me it's an iOS feature on OS X that replicates the look and feel of the home screen on an iDevice. In iOS the only way to remove an app from the home screen on iOS is to delete it. The way to organize it is to put your most used apps on the first screen and the rest on other screens with the least used (and unused built-in apps, which can't be deleted) on the last screen, optionally grouping them in folders.

Personally, I don't use LP as I put my most commonly used apps in the dock and for the rest I use Finder. Obviously there is limited space on the dock so you might not be able to get all your common apps on there.

I read somewhere that the idea behind LP seems to be to make Macs easier to migrate to for PC users who have an iDevice - they don't need to trawl through Finder to find apps, they are all presented in one easily accessible place. It seems that apps will appear in LP no matter where they are on disk.

As for uninstallers, OK so the OS could take a shrewd guess that they aren't really apps in the normal sense if the name contains 'uninstall' but there's still going to be apps that aren't "normal" apps that it won't be able to detect.

Seems to me that if LP doesn't fit in with your way of using OS X - like it doesn't for me - then don't use it. It is just new way of launching apps and all the old ways are still available.

Its suppose to be another view of apps on your system. You should be able to hide apps, organize apps etc with no changes to the hard drive.

Does not seem to work like this...in fact does not seem to work period.

I am shocked at the amount of time being wasted figuring out workarounds etc.

I predict it will be a long time before these issues are fixed by apple. First comes stablising the OS then attention to apps.

Hanas
Jul 29, 2011, 04:53 PM
Maybe you'll like this tool:

To all contributors, congratulations for a very efficient thread ! The above works super smooth !! And, YES, what a missed opportunity for Apple to launch such a promising feature as LP, and make it so rigid and user unfriendly ... Try moving 1 app from one 'page' to another ... suddenly ALL apps dance around the screen ...

Becoming a believer in MacRumors - - sad Lion has so many defaults that I needed to come and browse here ... after 5 days of installation.

Thanks !

Jenni8
Jul 29, 2011, 06:09 PM
Okay I have a problem with Launchpad now.

So I neatly organized all my apps on the Launchpad. Then I found the Launchpad-Controler.app which I fell in LOVE with instantly.

Then the system glitches later on due to a different app, thus causing the system to restart.

Upon restart a everything reverted back to a different setup from the a couple days ago, although all the new stuff since then remained. Due to Resume I suppose. Well the Resume point was not linear. It was Older. I don't like it so far. Or I just haven't figured it out yet.

Well in opening Launchpad all the apps that were hidden were all back and the layout was like 'half' done. Now keep in mind that I have my time machine backup on an external hard drive I usually keep unplugged other than daily backup. I found that the external HDD was causing the Dock to lock up. So I fixed that by just not having it backup at random all the time, (Which was annoying anyhow.)

So I restored all the 'hidden' files then deleted the app in order to fix my biggest issue of all. All the apps that were 'hidden' are now DUPLICATED on the Launchpad. Now it's just a mess and I need to figure out how to RESET the Launchpad.

So is this going to happen every time I restart the system? Launchpad is going to Reset in its own mean way and screw all my organization! I'd love Launchpad if it was more user friendly. And if it would STAY the way you set it, instead it feels like the computer is playing games with me. I ran away from Windows as fast as I could when I finally got my hands on a mac. I'm hooked, but I cannot WAIT till a valid update addressed these issues.

I do like this app but I'm not liking the idea of having to Reset the Launchpad-command app just to do a restart. And if it bugs again and it restarts FOR me I'll have this mess all over again?

So many questions and so little answers! I guess that's what happens with a Dot Zero update I've learned.

I have to admit. Other than flash not working right, which I fixed for now, but I'd prefer to have better security control with flash like I used to, the overall performance of Lion is amazing so far. Safari has got me hooked suddenly as I love the gesture commands and the SPEED. Much faster than Firefox for me.

I liked Launchpad at first, but now it's more of an annoyance for now.

So here is my Real question. How do I Reset the Launchpad to reload all the apps from scratch?

Jenni8
Jul 29, 2011, 06:42 PM
Okay I have a problem with Launchpad now.

So I neatly organized all my apps on the Launchpad. Then I found the Launchpad-Controler.app which I fell in LOVE with instantly.

Then the system glitches later on due to a different app, thus causing the system to restart.

Upon restart a everything reverted back to a different setup from the a couple days ago, although all the new stuff since then remained. Due to Resume I suppose. Well the Resume point was not linear. It was Older. I don't like it so far. Or I just haven't figured it out yet.

Well in opening Launchpad all the apps that were hidden were all back and the layout was like 'half' done. Now keep in mind that I have my time machine backup on an external hard drive I usually keep unplugged other than daily backup. I found that the external HDD was causing the Dock to lock up. So I fixed that by just not having it backup at random all the time, (Which was annoying anyhow.)

So I restored all the 'hidden' files then deleted the app in order to fix my biggest issue of all. All the apps that were 'hidden' are now DUPLICATED on the Launchpad. Now it's just a mess and I need to figure out how to RESET the Launchpad.

So is this going to happen every time I restart the system? Launchpad is going to Reset in its own mean way and screw all my organization! I'd love Launchpad if it was more user friendly. And if it would STAY the way you set it, instead it feels like the computer is playing games with me. I ran away from Windows as fast as I could when I finally got my hands on a mac. I'm hooked, but I cannot WAIT till a valid update addressed these issues.

I do like this app but I'm not liking the idea of having to Reset the Launchpad-command app just to do a restart. And if it bugs again and it restarts FOR me I'll have this mess all over again?

So many questions and so little answers! I guess that's what happens with a Dot Zero update I've learned.

I have to admit. Other than flash not working right, which I fixed for now, but I'd prefer to have better security control with flash like I used to, the overall performance of Lion is amazing so far. Safari has got me hooked suddenly as I love the gesture commands and the SPEED. Much faster than Firefox for me.

I liked Launchpad at first, but now it's more of an annoyance for now.

So here is my Real question. How do I Reset the Launchpad to reload all the apps from scratch?

I figured it out and it was so easy!

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/21/how-to-refresh-os-x-lions-launchpad-contents/

All my apps show again with no duplicates. Now as to prevent this from happening again if I choose to use the Launchpad-Control, I'll be working on that one.

Prodo123
Jul 29, 2011, 06:45 PM
I figured it out and it was so easy!

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/21/how-to-refresh-os-x-lions-launchpad-contents/

All my apps show again with no duplicates. Now as to prevent this from happening again if I choose to use the Launchpad-Control, I'll be working on that one.

I just tried it. If you're gonna use this method, kiss icon organization goodbye; it resets the layout to the layout in the Applications folder...

Jenni8
Jul 29, 2011, 07:48 PM
I just tried it. If you're gonna use this method, kiss icon organization goodbye; it resets the layout to the layout in the Applications folder...

I needed this method which is what I was hoping for, a reset, my Launchpad had weird dupes and such.

I just reorganized my Launchpad. I have yet to use the Launchpad-Control app again so far. I just don't know yet if it's going to all reset again when I restart. I shall see soon . . .

darchand
Jul 30, 2011, 04:21 AM
Someone has developed a (free) pref pane to allow you to select which apps appear in Launchpad. Hallelujah. Problem solved.

http://chaosspace.de/dev/launchpad-control-hide-apps-from-launchpad

Mere
Jul 31, 2011, 11:35 AM
Here's an easy way to delete or restore launchpad apps without using terminal commands or deleting/uninstalling any apps: :)

LaunchpadCleaner: A small, simple and free app that allows you clean up your Launchbar with a single click: http://zoltanb.co.uk/launchpadcleaner/
http://zoltanb.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/sample.jpg (http://zoltanb.co.uk/launchpadcleaner/)

Kanunu
Jul 31, 2011, 05:42 PM
I hope this is not too off topic but it seems related and I did not want to start another thread.

I don't own an iPhone but anyone who owns an iPad will instantly recognize that LP is a clone appearance wise of the iPad app screen. What it lacks is the quite functional ability to move around icons that exists in iTunes. There, if you open the device, on the Apps tab you find a replication of the screen and smaller versions of the screens below. It is easy to move icons from one to the other. If Apple could implement something like this in LP it would be a big improvement.

My own personal organization solution is to drag my most common app icons onto the first page, utilities to the second, games third and stuff I seldom use (uninstallers) or don't really need to see (like apps that run background) on the last. This setup took me a while and would have been a lot easier if the above suggestion was part of LP.

I also use a Logitech mouse (sorry fanboys) and had a side button programmed for Expose which did not convert to LP. I am hoping Logitech will update their preferences pane but that's for me to bring up with them.

*LTD*
Jul 31, 2011, 05:57 PM
If you're using a Magic Trackpad, simply click (as in, clicking down, not tapping) on an app and hold. It's just like in iOS.

You'll see the familiar app-wobble and you can click on the x-badges on the apps to get rid of them.

EdwinG
Aug 1, 2011, 09:22 PM
one more strange, when the app been renamed in app folder, the name in LP still the same and the icon just showed a grey square box.

loosedrag
Aug 2, 2011, 08:59 AM

Hmm. Using mbp 2.4. Not finding either of these tricks to work. The first just opens the app (after getting them all to jiggle) and the second , well, it doesn't add the app to launchpad.

csdtex
Aug 4, 2011, 09:49 PM
Launchpad cleaner worked great for me. I cleaned out launch pad completely and just added back the stuff I wanted in there.

http://zoltanb.co.uk/launchpadcleaner/

cowboyup02
Aug 13, 2011, 11:13 AM

Try this app out, it doesn't uninstall just doesn't allow the app to launch in launchpad. enjoy! :D

BLOND37
Aug 14, 2011, 03:24 PM
Someone has developed a (free) pref pane to allow you to select which apps appear in Launchpad. Hallelujah. Problem solved.

http://chaosspace.de/dev/launchpad-control-hide-apps-from-launchpad

this one gets my thumbs up

Mere
Aug 26, 2011, 06:25 PM
News Update:
The official LaunchpadCleaner site is live! :) http://launchpadcleaner.com/
http://launchpadcleaner.com/ad/launchpadsite.png (http://launchpadcleaner.com/)

rfahey
Sep 16, 2011, 09:59 AM
Really? free for just the main page then i have to pay you to edit the other ones? I'm not going to pay for a feature that apple will build right into launchpad within a couple of months. I'll gladly donate if a developer is genuinely out to help the community but I'm not going to be forced to pay a developer who's only out to make a quick buck!

Dale Sorel
Sep 16, 2011, 12:22 PM
Here's what you need to tame Launchpad: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39917/launchpad-control

Good luck!

xgman
Sep 16, 2011, 01:38 PM
The fact that Apple doesn't have something like launchpad control integrated in there by now really bewilders me. Makes you wonder what the heck is going on over there.

scottsjack
Sep 16, 2011, 03:27 PM
Developers are going to have a field day fixing all the effed up stuff in Lion. Launchpad is a great place to start. I'll be following this thread to see how the various solutions are working out. Lion is possibly going to end up costing between fifty and one hundred dollars to make operational.

redscull
Oct 6, 2011, 11:00 PM
why are there no apps like this launchpad-control on the Mac app store?

maflynn
Oct 12, 2011, 07:22 AM
why are there no apps like this launchpad-control on the Mac app store?

Because apple will not allow those types of apps into the MAS. Utilities that alter some of apple's features are generally not blessed by apple to go into the Mac App Store.

ltphilpot
Oct 12, 2011, 02:09 PM
Developers are going to have a field day fixing all the effed up stuff in Lion. Launchpad is a great place to start. I'll be following this thread to see how the various solutions are working out. Lion is possibly going to end up costing between fifty and one hundred dollars to make operational.

How do you figure this? I haven't had a single issue with Lion and I've been using it since launch day. I'm having issues with launchpad but its a nuisance not something that makes it non operational.

scinto32
Nov 22, 2011, 04:11 PM
Give this one a try: http://attilamiklosi.net/launchpadmanager/

It's free, native os x app, and has a nicer UI than Launchpad control. Well, depending on your taste.
Also you can pretty much do all the basic stuff you need to in the free version and if you want to do crazy things like alphabetical ordering you can buy it for 5 bucks.

vitzr
Nov 22, 2011, 04:26 PM
I just tried it. If you're gonna use this method, kiss icon organization goodbye

Just as Apple intended. It's all about the beginners and keeping it simple.

As Apple "simplifies" and dilutes the interface, those of us who are fast with keyboard shortcuts, Automator, and the Terminal, are going to miss what we once had.

Yes I know, it's not gone yet... but it's not looking good except to the newbies.

jayprime
Feb 1, 2012, 12:17 PM
I have the same problem with SC2 app, I just put it in another window.

How do you delete the app from launchpad did you figure it out i have the same problem and i have 9 sc2 and then a test and other icons.

brumlebassen
Dec 23, 2012, 03:53 PM
I am new to the macworld and I have had sort of the same issue. I found this article:

http://techtips.salon.com/uninstall-program-macbook-pro-1662.html

Step 4 solved my problem. I wanted to uninstall the programs that still showed up in launchpad.

It may not work for you but it did for me.

I see that this tread is old but I postet here becasue this place is one of the million places I have been to trying to understand how to use and maintain my mac.

JasonZeppelin
Mar 21, 2013, 01:04 PM
I am new to the macworld and I have had sort of the same issue. I found this article:

http://techtips.salon.com/uninstall-program-macbook-pro-1662.html

Step 4 solved my problem. I wanted to uninstall the programs that still showed up in launchpad.

It may not work for you but it did for me.

I see that this tread is old but I postet here becasue this place is one of the million places I have been to trying to understand how to use and maintain my mac.
This worked for me.

Search in Spotlight, drag to Trash.

timmc94
Jul 5, 2013, 05:24 AM

Unfortunately, that feature seems to be removed from OS X Mavericks. (At least as of Dev Preview 2) I knew that trick, but I can't get it to work anymore... I'm hoping there's another way, like maybe a TXT or XML file in the System Library? I'll do some digging.