Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
I need some help with trying to figure out if my problem is localized to me...or if others with this setup are having issues?

I successfully JB my ATV2, and I downloaded XBMC no problem. Putting Hulu on was a task, but I had some awesome help from some folks in this forum.

Now as for the content on Hulu through XBMC....is anyone else able to play some things, but not others? Specifically content from HGTV, NBC, etc. However, I am able to play clips?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

ISO:HELP

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
I need some help with trying to figure out if my problem is localized to me...or if others with this setup are having issues?

I successfully JB my ATV2, and I downloaded XBMC no problem. Putting Hulu on was a task, but I had some awesome help from some folks in this forum.

Now as for the content on Hulu through XBMC....is anyone else able to play some things, but not others? Specifically content from HGTV, NBC, etc. However, I am able to play clips?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I'm not familiar with it but I think you need to get Hulu + in order to get the good stuff!

have you tried to ad on tv catchup yet?

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply!

And no, I havent tried that, what is TV catch up?

ISO:HELP

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
Thanks for the quick reply!

And no, I havent tried that, what is TV catch up?

I havent been able to get it to work yet so I'm not sure..I'm still having problems with buffering on icefilms and fastpasstv..

have you messed with those ad-ons yet?

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
do you mind sharing how you got hulu to work?
the only clue i have so far is that i need bluecop addons. But i think that the bluecop addon that i downloaded is for ATV1

hardax

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
New Hampshire
do you mind sharing how you got hulu to work?
the only clue i have so far is that i need bluecop addons. But i think that the bluecop addon that i downloaded is for ATV1

As far as I know, the HULU plugin in XBMC no longer works for most people. And even if it still does, as the changes that HULU made to their streams propogate, it will only be a matter of time for it to stop working for all. Also, Bluecop has stated that he is not going to try and fix the plugin.

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
yeah, you're right.
I ended up getting the hulu plugin in there, but none of the streams are working.
SO is Plex the only hope for Hulu on ATV2?

hardax

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
New Hampshire
yeah, you're right.
I ended up getting the hulu plugin in there, but none of the streams are working.

It seems to be the only "working" option right now for the Apple TV 2 but note that even on Plex, HULU is spotty at best. There are a lot of videos the won't play or play in slow motion or out of sync. Note that the HULU plugin is not technically supported for use on the Apple TV anyway so who knows if the problems will ever get fixed. The only reliable way of getting basic HULU on your TV seems to be using a Mac Mini.

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
It seems to be the only "working" option right now for the Apple TV 2 but note that even on Plex, HULU is spotty at best....Note that the HULU plugin is not technically supported for use on the Apple TV anyway so who knows if the problems will ever get fixed..

Interesting. I didn't know it was even *kind of* working. I turned off "Version Checking" in the Plex server, and I still can't figure out how to get Hulu in there.
Supposedly the Plex team will have all of these plugins enabled by the time a 1.0 version of Plex comes out. Right now it's still a beta, so only Movies really works

hardax

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
New Hampshire
I just don't understand why HULU makes it so difficult to watch it's content on a television? It has commercials so it's not like they are loosing advertising revenue??

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I just don't understand why HULU makes it so difficult to watch it's content on a television? It has commercials so it's not like they are loosing advertising revenue??

It's the content providers and not Hulu making it difficult. Basically they are afraid of people dropping cable.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
yeah, you're right.

HUlu work fine, you can see the most recent show only with the free version, if you want to see all of them you need to pay and get Hulu+, once you have a subscription, go to the settings, enter your login information and all the shows will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.