PDA

View Full Version : Please help me pick out a keyboard :D

reluttr
Feb 26, 2011, 08:42 AM
Really I am new to the whole bluetooth keyboard thing. Part of me wants to get a apple keyboard.

But I dont really want to shell out 70$ for a keyboard, especially if some of the reviews are true about it breaking or bugging out after a few months.

Plus the wireless keyboard seems to be missing mapping for iOS functions like Home, Lock, and Search.

So I went to trusty old ebay, and stumbled upon several variations of this.

http://micgadget.com/10835/knockoff-ipad-wireless-keyboard-now-available-video/

As we all know TUAW gave M.I.C's camera connection kit a shining review. So Surely the keyboard is just as good right? What troubles me though is the fact that ebay is litterally littered with the thing. The real only difference is the printed on key layout, all use the same apple-like shell casing. I'm not sure if they use the same internals though.

Furthermore it seems the price of the "generic apple keyboard" varies largely. M.I.C seems to believe theirs is worth 42 bucks shipped, but a certain seller on ebay seems to think its only worth 30$ shipped. Again the only real differance is that the M.I.C one has the "command" symbol and the eBay one has "alt" in the same place.

Plus these keyboards seem to have function keys for all the iOS functions, there is even one for the pretty much useless "photo frame" mode. But I am highly doubtful of the long term quality and durability. I mean there is some really good knock offs, but there is also some really bad ones. If the thing breaks after only a few uses then its really no good to me. Plus the utter lack of reviews doesn't help the matter.

So I decided to check out the aftermarket value of the apple keyboard, and I managed to find a "Buy it Now" listing for some "Factory Refurbished" "MC184LL/A; A1314" models for 52$ shipped, only about 10$ more than the M.I.C knockoff. But problem is, since these are "factory refurbished" then they have no warranty, so Im sad out of luck if the power button breaks after a month "as some online reviews seem to suggest". So am I better off just shelling out a extra 20$ and getting it new?

Also what are the chances that apple may pump out a new wireless keyboard next week at the ipad event? It would only make sense if they put the iOS specific buttons on it since they are injecting iOS type features into Lion.

innominato5090
Feb 27, 2011, 03:01 AM
the only thing I can say is that the apple keyboard worth its price. it's all alluminum, really solid, shuts itself down automatically, has an amazing tactile feedback and it's thin and pretty light (things you shouldn't underestimate )
and obviously some special keys like brightness, media buttons and volume buttons works actually. plus, when paired, you could press any key of your keyboard to unlock the iPad without having to slide. the only thing it's missing is a home button.