PDA

View Full Version : The hole OS X/iOS cross breed thing concerns me...

macbookproi7
Feb 26, 2011, 09:44 AM
Hey,

I know a lot of people (if not all) are going to probably disagree with me, and not having a developer account and being able to try it out I probably shouldn't say anything but I still wanna. I don't really like the sound of them crossing the current OS with iOS, and some of it's features... sure EXTRA things can only be handy... but if they start to get rid of things to make it TOO simple I think it will bore me. Already, the iPad feels a bit to much like a toy too me unless I am reading an interactive magazine... I don't want my computer to feel that way.

I really like the direction the current OS Leopard has been steered in with a fair bit of power, AND ease of use.. yet still not just basic ease of use. I don't know if I'm making any sense... but from the vids i've seen I certainly think I could have done without 'Launchpad'.. and would have been much happier if Apple put their resources and developing into better AND MORE features... for instance Blu Ray support. Not even necessarily a Blu Ray drive, but the ability to watch them for people that want to use an external Blu Ray player. So Toast is able to BURN Blu Rays. and has a Blu Ray burning plug in.. but a)the computers don't have Blu Ray burners and b)you can't watch Blu Rays on them unless you BootCamp windows.

Anyway, I would prefer Powerful complexity then weak simplicity. But then again like I said I haven't tried it so I may be very surprised to find out it's great.

AdrianK
Feb 26, 2011, 10:01 AM
The whole iOS/OS X merge 'thing' is bull. Apple has really scared people with the whole 'Magic of iPad thing'.

There's launchpad, but that's about it, at least that I've found in this preview. You don't even have to use LP (though it is stuck in the Dock). I normally use an Application stack in my Dock to launch apps that aren't in my Dock, I find LP to be a quicker, more aesthetically pleasing method.

Finder has undergone an overhaul, but you can still get to all the system folders if you want.

There's nothing iOS-like about mission control, really...

Anyway, I find the changes make the OS a bit nicer to user to use, I have no complaints, but then again there were no features I desperately wanted.

What would you like to see *other* than Bluray?

macbookproi7
Feb 26, 2011, 11:50 AM
What would you like to see *other* than Bluray?

Well that's good that you say it's not so much like iOS. iOS works good on iPhone but so I have no problems with that Op Sys, just don't want it on computer.

One feature I would like in the operating system, is when you adjust the size of the folder you are in (for example if I click on finder and click 'Documents' and resize the window to more of a horizontal window across the top of the screen, the folders inside it don't move to fill in the newly acquired space.. Except for in the Applications folder the icons do move around.. that's a small thing but something I would like.

There is a great program in the App Store called 'Breeze' where you can not only have short cuts to place open windows on the left half or right (snap to position) or fill the screen, but you can customize different applications and keyboard short cuts to resize certain windows to different positions and sizes anywhere on your screen easily...

I'd like to see a different approach to finder, i'm not really sure what... so I might be just whinging there.. I'm interested to see what difference there is that you say of.

Better video support (not just blu ray) but why do we have to download VLC for wmv and others... I can't really remember the last time I downloaded any video from the net that played in Quicktime... unless it was from an Apple website. .flv and .avi all go through VLC player.

I'm hoping one day, iPhoto will be phazed out and something a bit more powerful like Aperture will become the norm... they're already made it cheaper in the App store... maybe they can incorporate it into a package along with Final Cut Express and a newer version of iWork, still sell the original iLife packages but have one with these three programs for people that want programs with a little bit more ability without having to fork out for Final Cut Studio and Photoshop or Lightroom etc.

I am happy with the operating system though, I got my first mac RIGHT when OS 10 came out, on the new lamp shaped iMac's so it's really all I've known is OS X, and I've always liked it.. the little I've used OS 9 I haven't and every time they bring out an upgrade I like it even more so I doubt I'l be unhappy.. just the way they're advertising it 'Power of Mac OS X/Magic of iPad' had me worried.

AdrianK
Feb 26, 2011, 12:25 PM
One feature I would like in the operating system, is when you adjust the size of the folder you are in (for example if I click on finder and click 'Documents' and resize the window to more of a horizontal window across the top of the screen, the folders inside it don't move to fill in the newly acquired space.. Except for in the Applications folder the icons do move around.. that's a small thing but something I would like.

I don't understand why they haven't implemented this in OS X either, it isn't present in this build of Lion unfortunately :(

I'd like to see a different approach to finder, i'm not really sure what... so I might be just whinging there.. I'm interested to see what difference there is that you say of.

Having played with it a little longer I've realised that very little is actually new :(

Better video support (not just blu ray) but why do we have to download VLC for wmv and others... I can't really remember the last time I downloaded any video from the net that played in Quicktime... unless it was from an Apple website. .flv and .avi all go through VLC player.

Probably to do with licensing the codecs. You can install a plugin for QT called Perian witch will allow it to play almost anything, making it comparable to VLC.

karsten
Feb 27, 2011, 03:00 AM
don't worry, there's an impenetrable wall between ARM and x86 that won't be broken any time soon.

Phil A.
Feb 27, 2011, 03:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F5166b Safari/6533.18.5)

Regarding icons not filling up resized windows: just go to show view options under the view menu in finder and set a sort order on the arrange by combo.
Click the use as defaults button and voila - icons in windows will auto fill available space in windows.

This functionality has been in every version of OS X and is still present in lion.

AdrianK
Feb 27, 2011, 04:10 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F5166b Safari/6533.18.5)

Regarding icons not filling up resized windows: just go to show view options under the view menu in finder and set a sort order on the arrange by combo.
Click the use as defaults button and voila - icons in windows will auto fill available space in windows.

This functionality has been in every version of OS X and is still present in lion.

Thank you!

macbookproi7
Feb 27, 2011, 04:26 AM
Thanks Phil A. haha, and to think that's been something that has annoyed me for years...

Adrian yeah, I understand it's got to do with licensing the codecs, but whenever I've gone to the Quicktime plugins page, and downloaded plugins and codecs that say they will work it's unsuccessful. Maybe I'm just being to lax to work it out properly because I already have VLC.

macbookproi7
Feb 27, 2011, 04:29 AM
Some of the features from the Application Breeze would be very nice though... especially on the larger 27" iMacs, or my second monitor when I have my MBP set up like a desktop computer... on a larger screen I don't always need the web page to fill up the screen and half does nicely.

mif
Feb 27, 2011, 04:40 AM
I'm not into this fashion stuff. They should call it Mac OS X GaGa. For me it is maybe time to make the switch. Linux and all. Good support for nerds and geeks. Or Haiku. Jet-set can use Mac.

Saladinos
Feb 27, 2011, 06:20 AM
I was a bit sceptical at first, but it looks like Apple have really improved the workflow and fluidity when moving between apps (at least if you have a MT trackpad!). AirDrop seems really useful, and I like that Apple is taking security a bit more seriously.

Overall, a good update (and I'm sure there's more). Looking forward to release.

macbookproi7
Feb 27, 2011, 06:50 AM
I'm also hoping the price is reasonable. Snow Leopard was a lot cheaper then Leopard.

AdrianK
Feb 27, 2011, 07:03 AM
Adrian yeah, I understand it's got to do with licensing the codecs, but whenever I've gone to the Quicktime plugins page, and downloaded plugins and codecs that say they will work it's unsuccessful. Maybe I'm just being to lax to work it out properly because I already have VLC.

You you tried Perian? I prefer VLC because it's more advanced, but I could happily love with QTX with Perian.

I'm not into this fashion stuff. They should call it Mac OS X GaGa. For me it is maybe time to make the switch. Linux and all. Good support for nerds and geeks. Or Haiku. Jet-set can use Mac.

I guess you're right, the wobbly windows and 'teh pwnzor cube' are just for show in OS X... wait a minute!

iThinkergoiMac
Feb 27, 2011, 07:28 AM
AirDrop seems really useful, and I like that Apple is taking security a bit more seriously.

I find it amusing that you use both of these in the same sentence. AirDrop has to be insecure, if one is creating an ad-hoc network to transfer files. While I'm sure it will give the option of using WPA2 encryption, I'm also willing to bet that it will also give you the option not to use it, and most people will probably opt not to. Therefore, AirDrop will have to be about the most insecure way one can share files.

Hopefully it's better than this, but I don't see how AirDrop is going to be very secure at all.

GoCubsGo
Feb 27, 2011, 07:45 AM
I'm also hoping the price is reasonable. Snow Leopard was a lot cheaper then Leopard.
SL was really just a very polished Leopard. It didn't warrant a higher price tag.
I find it amusing that you use both of these in the same sentence. AirDrop has to be insecure, if one is creating an ad-hoc network to transfer files. While I'm sure it will give the option of using WPA2 encryption, I'm also willing to bet that it will also give you the option not to use it, and most people will probably opt not to. Therefore, AirDrop will have to be about the most insecure way one can share files.

Hopefully it's better than this, but I don't see how AirDrop is going to be very secure at all.
I'm with you on this. I've yet to see enough to understand how AirDrop is secure. Then again, we're getting information from all different directions and it is possible that we don't know the full picture yet.

mif
Feb 27, 2011, 11:21 AM
You you tried Perian? I prefer VLC because it's more advanced, but I could happily love with QTX with Perian.

I guess you're right, the wobbly windows and 'teh pwnzor cube' are just for show in OS X... wait a minute!

Don't mind me. I'm just bitter old man. Future is yours. Success to you! Mac OS X is certainly Beautiful.

In certain age one might hope some stability:

It was assembler and Pascal, then it was c, now it is objective c. Even if it is superset.

It was 68k, then it was PowerPC which was better than intel. Now it is Intel and ARM.

It was Mac OS, now it is Unix.

Toolbox became Carbon and now it's gone. Cocoa is not what i want.

Aqua replaced Platinum which was a replacement too.

QuickDraw 3d was hosed. Now it is OpenGl.

I had enough. I wrote menus and windows myself using carbon events and in future it is impossible to use that code too.

End rant.

neko girl
Feb 27, 2011, 11:25 AM
I think there is a danger of Mac OS X dumbing down, but the possibilities of interface parity between iOS and OS X is much more promising, don't you think?

Consistency has been one of Apple's main attractions.

macbookproi7
Feb 27, 2011, 11:41 AM
I think there is a danger of Mac OS X dumbing down, but the possibilities of interface parity between iOS and OS X is much more promising, don't you think?

Consistency has been one of Apple's main attractions.

Thats exactly WHY i dont like the sound of a osx/iOS cross . To me it would Prkbably be dumbing it down making it to simple. I still prefer to run mh system maintenance and file changes through terminal in single user mode ... Its the coomplexity that appeals. Consistency is a great thing but sometimes a complete overhaul cqn really impress... Ive got big hopes for the next BIG update to the imac pribably early next year. Tge next updqte/refreah
Ay improve the screen and storage space etc but id lime to see what the brilliant minds at apple can come up with

addicted44
Feb 27, 2011, 02:45 PM
Don't mind me. I'm just bitter old man. Future is yours. Success to you! Mac OS X is certainly Beautiful.

In certain age one might hope some stability:

It was assembler and Pascal, then it was c, now it is objective c. Even if it is superset.

It was 68k, then it was PowerPC which was better than intel. Now it is Intel and ARM.

It was Mac OS, now it is Unix.

Toolbox became Carbon and now it's gone. Cocoa is not what i want.

Aqua replaced Platinum which was a replacement too.

QuickDraw 3d was hosed. Now it is OpenGl.

I had enough. I wrote menus and windows myself using carbon events and in future it is impossible to use that code too.

End rant.

Are you honestly complaining about changes being too rapid, and as a solution moving to LINUX???

mif
Feb 27, 2011, 04:39 PM
Are you honestly complaining about changes being too rapid, and as a solution moving to LINUX???

Not exactly too rapid. I don wan't any change at all. :)

Let me explain. When i moved to OSX, i had real problems getting used to operating system wanting to handle double buffering by itself. Then the Dock. Trash can should stay put on the desktop. There were options to make them accept commands and then both options vanished.

Other thing. Everything is opaque. No direct manipulation any more for threads sake. Third point, low level stuff is increasingly difficult to find and use. For me anyway. I am no Unix pro. Just OS 9 amateur.

Everything was becoming increasingly difficult to find and in the end i became computer nihilist. I replaced almost every Apple routine with my own. I don't need much more than access to framebuffer, event loop and file system.

Access to framebuffer is going away. Even if the screen is captured. What next? iOS is locked.

Maybe linux can offer me these. And it is open source.

Of course Apple can do whatever it must but i need those, for this particular program. My program is not commercial. It is my life. Virtual reality "game". Stuck to twentieth century. I don't belong to present. I only annoy present day people. I am really ugly stupid nerd with a scar in the face. No sosial life. Believe me, it is true.

macbookproi7
Feb 28, 2011, 04:02 AM
Sorry Mif,
But you've really confused me. I seriously have no idea what you are talking about.

mif
Feb 28, 2011, 06:57 AM
Sorry Mif,
But you've really confused me. I seriously have no idea what you are talking about.

None offense taken. You had to be a psychiatrist to understand me. Let's say that i am crazy. But i am no Ted Kaczynski or shoolshooter or something like that.

I just want to keep things the way they were. If ui goes some direction that i don't want, i make my own. If the world is something that i don't fit in, i make my own. 19-hundreds.

Of course no one else understands me. It has been that way for a long time. One example - girlfriend. In real life, forget it. So, i make my own. I use model who is over 18. She is a princess to me.

Everyone else think i am pervert.

I believe in God. I think he is great.

Everyone else think that Jahweh is a psychopath who don't exist any more.