Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL
I am trying to find a program that will let me monitor my hardware as my macbook pro is getting really hot when I am running Lion.

I tried iStat and it does not work.

I also looked for something I could use in terminal and found that nothing is installed to monitor hardware in terminal.

heppy

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2008
I am trying to find a program that will let me monitor my hardware as my macbook pro is getting really hot when I am running Lion.

I tried iStat and it does not work.

I also looked for something I could use in terminal and found that nothing is installed to monitor hardware in terminal.

Istat works just great for me on lion

Dewroo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Tilton, NH.
The widget version of iStat and iStat nano are working. dashboard is better in lion, as it is more accessible in my opinion.

heppy

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2008
istat menus doesnt work but stat pro, the widget, does. its almost the exact same as stat menus but in the dashboard instead.

Errr, I think I know my my own computer better than you. Istat MENU is working fine. I'm looking at it right now. Version 3, on Lion. If it doesn't work for you that's different and clearly there's an issue with your configuration. I'm assuming you're on a dual core proc as singles are no longer supported by 10.7

MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL
Errr, I think I know my my own computer better than you. Istat MENU is working fine. I'm looking at it right now. Version 3, on Lion. If it doesn't work for you that's different and clearly there's an issue with your configuration. I'm assuming you're on a dual core proc as singles are no longer supported by 10.7

Thats great that it is working for you. But it is not working for any one else.

This is from a fresh install on multiple different kinds of machines so you can not say its a configuration issue.

geiman

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
iStats menu is working fine for me, although I did an upgrade not a fresh install. Those of you who can't get it working; what is not working? Will it refuse to install because of the OS version, will it simply not run once installed, etc...? If we knew what exactly didn't work we could probably get it fixed. Since its working for me (and others) who already had it installed in Snow Leopard, I'd say its just failing on the version information. It will probably work if you manually install it using pacifist, etc..

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Fresh install, here.

Got it installed no problem, opens fine, press a switch to turn a monitor on, but nothing happens, a second later it reverts to the 'off' position, same with every monitor. No thing happens in the menu bar at all.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
iStats menu is working fine for me, although I did an upgrade not a fresh install. Those of you who can't get it working; what is not working? Will it refuse to install because of the OS version, will it simply not run once installed, etc...? If we knew what exactly didn't work we could probably get it fixed. Since its working for me (and others) who already had it installed in Snow Leopard, I'd say its just failing on the version information. It will probably work if you manually install it using pacifist, etc..

It installs just fine, but when you go to "turn on" a section (with the little slider), nothing happens. It moved to the "on" position for a few seconds, then when it fails to activate it automatically switches back to "off".

There's no warnings or anything pertaining to an unrecognized operation system, it just appears to be incompatible with Lion. I uninstalled, reinstalled, reregistered, still no luck.

geiman

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
Gotcha; that sounds like a versioning thing; obviously the code works or it wouldn't work on our machines, so I'd bet if you could dig through the plist's and find where it turns things on you could get it working. I'm replacing the timing chain on my Jeep right now, but when I get done with that I'll take a look. Since mine were already set up it is fine, but when you go to turn them on for the first time and it looks for compatibility it is bombing out.

Also, might not be a bad idea to email the developer if iStat menu; they would probably appreciate any feedback with Lion. I know the developer of 1Password already is asking for feedback, I'm sure they're all scrambling right now.

colinng

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
iStat Menus workaround

Hi guys, Long Nguyen Hai, a web developer in Vietnam, posted a workaround!

http://www.webvampires.net/post/3579438175/os-x-lion-workaround-for-istat-menus

I've copied the important parts below, in case the URL doesn't show up because I'm new to this forum.

-----

What I did is downloading the latest version of MenuCracker from SourceForge, overwrite the old MenuCracker.menu within iStat Menus.app. Optionally, kill the iStatLocal daemon process and overwrite the MenuCracker.menu file at /Library/Application Support/iStat Local/extra/

-----

And the link to MenuCracker is:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/men...ucracker-2.0b1/MenuCracker-2.0b1.dmg/download

Last edited:

needz

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009

Tutorer

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Hi guys, Long Nguyen Hai, a web developer in Vietnam, posted a workaround!

Thank you. I integrated the recent MenuCracker.menu into the installer package of iStat Menus 2.0 and so it worked right after installation on Lion GM.

Cheers!

kwamayze

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
iStatmenu was working fine when i upgraded from snow leopard to lion but doesn't work anymore ever since i did a fresh install of lion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.