PDA

View Full Version : AirDrop

cocky jeremy
Feb 26, 2011, 03:53 PM
I installed Lion last night and overall, it feels pretty nice. Fairly quick, no crashes, etc. I do have one really weird issue though. I've searched multiple websites and i can't seem to find anyone with this same issue.

AirDrop is missing. That's it, just not there. Not in the Finder sidebar, nothing. Did a Spotlight search, nothing. Does anyone else have this at all? I might try to reinstall Lion. It's the weirdest thing. :confused:

ovrlrd
Feb 26, 2011, 03:56 PM
Did you check under the "Sidebar" tab under Finder Preferences? Maybe it just got disabled there.

cocky jeremy
Feb 26, 2011, 04:16 PM
I'll check that real quick, but that will be weird if that's it because it was like that the first time i logged into Lion.

cocky jeremy
Feb 26, 2011, 04:50 PM
Nope. Not even an option for AirDrop.

Blakeco123
Feb 26, 2011, 05:18 PM
I installed Lion last night and overall, it feels pretty nice. Fairly quick, no crashes, etc. I do have one really weird issue though. I've searched multiple websites and i can't seem to find anyone with this same issue.

AirDrop is missing. That's it, just not there. Not in the Finder sidebar, nothing. Did a Spotlight search, nothing. Does anyone else have this at all? I might try to reinstall Lion. It's the weirdest thing. :confused:

I have the same problem. I was wonder does anyone who has airdrop working installed the seed on multiple computers?

cocky jeremy
Feb 26, 2011, 06:12 PM
I thought that too, but i don't see why the icon wouldn't be there just because there's no other computer within range. I'm going to install on another iMac tonight and test it. Hopefully that makes it show up. Otherwise, something else is wrong.

Blakeco123
Feb 26, 2011, 06:14 PM
found this on the internet. it didn't work for me but hey mabe it will for you.
-If AirDrop does not appear to be working correctly, option-click the AirPort menubar item and ensure that the channel listed is not on the 5 GHz band with a channel between 52-64 or 100-140. Disabling and enabling Wi-Fi may resolve this issue.

PurrBall
Feb 26, 2011, 08:20 PM
I have your same iMac model and don't see it either. Weird.

Stratus Fear
Feb 26, 2011, 08:54 PM
Same here, although slightly older iMac.

iPhone1
Feb 26, 2011, 09:13 PM
mid-2010 MBP.

cocky jeremy
Feb 26, 2011, 09:20 PM
found this on the internet. it didn't work for me but hy many it will for you.
-If AirDrop does not appear to be working correctly, option-click the AirPort menubar item and ensure that the channel listed is not on the 5 GHz band with a channel between 52-64 or 100-140. Disabling and enabling Wi-Fi may resolve this issue.

5 GHz band, but on channel 157. So it has to be something else. I shut Wifi off, then back on. I unplugged ethernet. Neither fixed it.

Michaelgtrusa
Feb 26, 2011, 09:45 PM
This is the first i've heard of this, did you resolve this?

cocky jeremy
Feb 26, 2011, 09:49 PM
Not yet. I installed Lion a second time, checked wifi settings as suggested above, turned off ethernet, restarted multiple times, checked Finder settings, Spotlight searched AirDrop.. nothing.

bedifferent
Feb 26, 2011, 09:53 PM
Um, what about "Sharing" in "System Preferences"? Make certain file sharing is on and that you have the settings to allow others to access your system.

cocky jeremy
Feb 26, 2011, 10:38 PM
Checked. Sharing is turned on. Running out of ideas. :/

bedifferent
Feb 26, 2011, 10:42 PM
Checked. Sharing is turned on. Running out of ideas. :/

Hmmm, sorry mate. Wish I could help. Maybe it's the router? Does AirDrop require port mapping/forwarding?

cocky jeremy
Feb 26, 2011, 11:51 PM
Hmmm, sorry mate. Wish I could help. Maybe it's the router? Does AirDrop require port mapping/forwarding?

No idea. I can't even find requirements for AirDrop anywhere. Thanks for trying to help man. Appreciate it.

neko girl
Feb 26, 2011, 11:53 PM
Does anyone have a summary of how this feature works? I hope something a bit more detailed than the OS X Lion page. Is it like a dropbox folder that's instantly shared?

cocky jeremy
Feb 27, 2011, 12:08 AM
Does anyone have a summary of how this feature works? I hope something a bit more detailed than the OS X Lion page. Is it like a dropbox folder that's instantly shared?

I don't think it's really like DropBox. More like an iChat transfer, i think. Like you said, they aren't really releasing much about it. But from the looks of it, it doesn't store the file anywhere, like Dropbox. It appears to just be an easier way to transfer the file to another computer, with no storage in between. I can't even get it to show up or i'd test it and let people know. Hopefully someone else releases pictures or something soon.

cocky jeremy
Feb 27, 2011, 01:01 AM
Hm. I think AirDrop isn't available on Macs older than 2010 or maybe 2009. I tried on a 2010 21.5" and AirDrop is there and fine. On my early 2008, nothing. Can anyone else confirm?

carrako
Feb 27, 2011, 01:05 AM
Hm. I think AirDrop isn't available on Macs older than 2010 or maybe 2009. I tried on a 2010 21.5" and AirDrop is there and fine. On my early 2008, nothing. Can anyone else confirm?

Early 2008 24" iMac, no AirDrop for me either :(

cocky jeremy
Feb 27, 2011, 01:11 AM
Early 2008 24" iMac, no AirDrop for me either :(

Now, to figure out if it's only 2010 and newer or 2009 is included too. I'm guessing/hoping someone finds a way to manually add AirDrop via a hack or something. I don't see why the 2008 models wouldn't be new enough to use AirDrop. I highly doubt it requires anything that the 2008 Macs don't have.

leoleakey
Feb 27, 2011, 03:43 AM
my 2009 mbp got airdrop , but my macbook air do not have airdrop

baddj
Feb 27, 2011, 04:07 AM
I would say put in a bug report with your iMac's model and any other information that mite help them fix it.

Steve Ballmer
Feb 27, 2011, 04:38 AM
My 2008 MacBook has AirDrop.

tourada
Feb 27, 2011, 08:51 AM

You're running an iMac right? What year specifically? As noted in the seed notice of Lion, "iMac (Late 2006) is not supported for this Lion seed". No airdrop could mean that it may not be compatible yet for the 2006 iMac. But if yours is newer than 2006, then it could be something apple hasn't caught yet. File a bug report. Should get it fixed for the next release hopefully.

Same with anyone else. If there are issues with no airdop (or other feature) file a bug report.

newfoundglory
Feb 27, 2011, 10:15 AM
AirDrop works for me... but for those who can't see AirDrop... download PlistEditPro from http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/plisteditpro/

Go to /Users/[your account]/Library/Preferences

Open com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

Under CustomListProperties make sure you have the boolean value displayed, and check all items under VolumesList and see if you have the key/value pair Dictionary corresponding to AirDrop

DirtySocks85
Feb 27, 2011, 10:51 AM

Not sure how long this video will be up before Apple finds it, but here's a video preview someone did:

http://www.9to5mac.com/53899/mac-os-x-lions-airdrop-in-action-tests-instructions-and-video

PurrBall
Feb 27, 2011, 11:16 AM
AirDrop works for me... but for those who can't see AirDrop... download PlistEditPro from http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/plisteditpro/

Under CustomListProperties make sure you have the boolean value displayed, and check all items under VolumesList and see if you have the key/value pair Dictionary corresponding to AirDrop

Mine looks exactly like yours. :\

neko girl
Feb 27, 2011, 11:22 AM
Not sure how long this video will be up before Apple finds it, but here's a video preview someone did:

http://www.9to5mac.com/53899/mac-os-x-lions-airdrop-in-action-tests-instructions-and-video
Ok, it seems like the collaboration possibilities with this are pretty limited and manual. I thought it might have been a share drive with intelligent locked file/unlocked file capabilities (like SharePoint). Oh well..

shatteringlass
Feb 27, 2011, 12:41 PM
I am using an iMac 7,1 (late 2007) and have no airdrop support. I read many people (http://twitter.com/GlennF/status/41260140724363264) state that it won't be supported on certain hardware. Seems like it requires the airport to support simultaneously infrastructure and ad-hoc mode. So it won't be implemented in the future, either.

cocky jeremy
Feb 27, 2011, 04:49 PM

on "Name" and "URL" were it says "AirDrop" it previously said "Nearby". I edited and savedů still no AirDrop.

phpmaven
Feb 27, 2011, 05:35 PM
You guys do realize that you need to have 2 Macs running Lion on the same network, right? The Finder probably won't even display the AirDrop icon unless it detects another Mac running Lion.

I thought that too, but i don't see why the icon wouldn't be there just because there's no other computer within range. I'm going to install on another iMac tonight and test it. Hopefully that makes it show up. Otherwise, something else is wrong.

I don't know why that should be surprising. You won't see a shared Mac come up in Finder unless it's running.

cocky jeremy
Feb 27, 2011, 05:44 PM
You guys do realize that you need to have 2 Macs running Lion on the same network, right? The Finder probably won't even display the AirDrop icon unless it detects another Mac running Lion.

I don't know why that should be surprising. You won't see a shared Mac come up in Finder unless it's running.

I wish that's all that was wrong. I have Lion running on another Mac. AirDrop is there anyway. I know this because at the time i installed Lion on the other Mac, this Mac was logged back in on Snow Leopard, and that Mac instantly showed AirDrop without another Mac with Lion being booted nearby. So that doesn't matter.

bedifferent
Feb 27, 2011, 05:57 PM
I have Lion on a 27" 2010 iMac and a 2010 6-Core Mac Pro. AirDrop is listed on the iMac but NOT on the Mac Pro, Sharing configured and running on the same WiFi network. Very odd.

muzzle79
Feb 27, 2011, 06:39 PM
Airdrop only shows up on support Wifi Networking chipsets.

As it stands I've had it run on 2009 MBP 13, 2010 MBP 13 + 15, Mac Pro 2009 an Mac Pro 2010.

It did not function on a 2008 MBP 15 (pre unibody), Mac Pro (2006)

When it works it's pretty neat, Sends a request that shows up on the mac to receive the file.. Select yes and it transfers. On the originating mac it shows a ring around the mac's icon for transfer status.. on the recipient it shows a file in downloads with a status bar (similar to safari downloads but with a grey icon and progress bar.)

cocky jeremy
Feb 27, 2011, 10:17 PM

As it stands I've had it run on 2009 MBP 13, 2010 MBP 13 + 15, Mac Pro 2009 an Mac Pro 2010.

When it works it's pretty neat, Sends a request that shows up on the mac to receive the file.. Select yes and it transfers. On the originating mac it shows a ring around the mac's icon for transfer status.. on the recipient it shows a file in downloads with a status bar (similar to safari downloads but with a grey icon and progress bar.)

Then why would it not show up on one of his 2010 machines?

bedifferent
Feb 28, 2011, 12:03 AM

Not the case for many. I have 2010 iMac, 6-Core Mac Pro, 2010 Time Capsule, all sharing/ports/etc configured and yet on my 27" iMac "AirDrop" is listed but on the same network my newer 2010 Westmere 6-Core Mac Pro doesn't list "AirDrop". Any where.

This is a bug, not a matter of what systems it supports. There has been no mention of Apple stating "AirDrop" will only be supported on certain systems and anything stated until that time is conjecture. It is most likely due to differing hardware/WiFi chipsets and the kext's needed to utilize them properly. It'll get worked out. Apple will certainly flesh out what kext's, etc are necessary for certain systems' hardware (airport chipsets) and work from there.

newfoundglory
Feb 28, 2011, 04:23 PM
This is a bug, not a matter of what systems it supports. There has been no mention of Apple stating "AirDrop" will only be supported on certain systems and anything stated until that time is conjecture. It is most likely due to differing hardware/WiFi chipsets and the kext's needed to utilize them properly. It'll get worked out. Apple will certainly flesh out what kext's, etc are necessary for certain systems' hardware (airport chipsets) and work from there.

I agree. I have an early 2008 MBP with no AirDrop (currently). I know the chipset supports infrastructure and ad hoc mode. Apple just needs to do a bit more work on this I think. And lets be honest, with a summer launch we have another 5 to 6 months to go before we it hit gold master. Plenty. of. time.

frunkis54
Feb 28, 2011, 05:38 PM
I agree. I have an early 2008 MBP with no AirDrop (currently). I know the chipset supports infrastructure and ad hoc mode. Apple just needs to do a bit more work on this I think. And lets be honest, with a summer launch we have another 5 to 6 months to go before we it hit gold master. Plenty. of. time.

I see it on my 2008 mbp. has anyone put lion on more than Mac and played with it? im assuming it will only work if you are on the same network?

cocky jeremy
Feb 28, 2011, 09:12 PM
I see it on my 2008 mbp. has anyone put lion on more than Mac and played with it? im assuming it will only work if you are on the same network?

I have Lion on two iMacs.

2008 24" iMac = no AirDrop
2010 21.5" iMac = has AirDrop

Supposedly it's not only same network. I've not been able to test yet, unfortunately. :(

frunkis54
Mar 1, 2011, 01:10 AM
i am gonna add it to my imac in a few and test it out.

SWarrior
Mar 4, 2011, 09:37 AM
Can't find Library on the path Go to /Users/[your account]/Library/Preferences
Can not find com.apple.sidebarlists.plist on MackintoshHD>Library>Preferences

What am I doing wrong?

mrapplegate
Mar 4, 2011, 09:47 AM
Can't find Library on the path Go to /Users/[your account]/Library/Preferences
Can not find com.apple.sidebarlists.plist on MackintoshHD>Library>Preferences

What am I doing wrong?

The users library is now hidden in Lion. In the finder choose Go, the Go To Folder.. and type ~/Library

SWarrior
Mar 5, 2011, 07:30 AM
The users library is now hidden in Lion. In the finder choose Go, the Go To Folder.. and type ~/Library

Thanks for the tip. AirDrop was not in the list. I did add it, but still no AirDrop. Must be something else related to Apple's implementation of the feature. A Spotlight search will yield zero results, so apparently some code was not installed.

bedifferent
Mar 10, 2011, 06:31 PM
Does AirDrop require certain ports to be open? Could this be a router issue?

Messy
Mar 11, 2011, 06:47 AM
Does AirDrop require certain ports to be open? Could this be a router issue?

Has absolutely nothing to do with your router.

bedifferent
Mar 11, 2011, 10:11 AM
Has absolutely nothing to do with your router.

Shoot. It's the oddest thing. My 2009 27" iMac is set with AirDrop but not my 2010 Mac Pro 6-Core. I even copied over any/all airport related files as well as the sidebar.plist to my Mac Pro and mirrored them while following the post on this thread about checking the sidebar.plist as well. Rebooted, reset PRAM, etc, and nada. It has to be an issue with certain kext's not implemented yet for certain hardware.

cocky jeremy
Apr 1, 2011, 10:58 PM
Well, Developer Preview 2 fixed it for me. AirDrop is now available. What about everyone else that had it missing before?

PurrBall
Apr 1, 2011, 11:35 PM
Well, Developer Preview 2 fixed it for me. AirDrop is now available. What about everyone else that had it missing before?

Ditto! All is well, as far as I can tell. Don't have another Intel machine to test it with.

cocky jeremy
Apr 2, 2011, 03:17 AM
Ditto! All is well, as far as I can tell. Don't have another Intel machine to test it with.

I do but i haven't tested yet. I'll do that tomorrow (Later today, technically) probably.

shatteringlass
Apr 2, 2011, 03:49 AM
No changes on my iMac 7,1. It's surely due to hardware incompatibility.

Maniamac
May 31, 2011, 12:31 AM

Drats.

Just checking--Can you or anyone else with Lion Developer Preview 3 on an iMac 7,1 verify that Airdrop is still unavailable?

Thanks.

evripidis
May 31, 2011, 04:46 AM
On MacBook early '08 there are no evidence of AirDrop. I've searched everywhere and nothing found...

Running the latest version.

PS. If it is not going to run on every machine, it 'll be pitty..

jayhawk11
May 31, 2011, 11:53 AM
On MacBook early '08 there are no evidence of AirDrop. I've searched everywhere and nothing found...

Running the latest version.

PS. If it is not going to run on every machine, it 'll be pitty..

See below.

This.

Apple can't magically go back in time and change the Wifi chipset.

musio
Jun 6, 2011, 02:33 PM
couldn't apple get airdrop working over WAN? I have friends within a few miles radius and we transfer files between us on a regular basis.. If only airdrop was a solution :(

Mudsteam
Jun 30, 2011, 09:19 PM
Does AirDrop work for you guys in DP 4? And does it make a difference that I first installed Lion by itself and then ran the Server app and have it install all of its Server-y stuff? Cuz I checked all of your guy's solutions and nothing is working for me and no results on Spotlight either?

jayhawk11
Jun 30, 2011, 09:40 PM
couldn't apple get airdrop working over WAN? I have friends within a few miles radius and we transfer files between us on a regular basis.. If only airdrop was a solution :(

FTP, playa.

CyBeRino
Jul 1, 2011, 02:28 PM
Does AirDrop work for you guys in DP 4? And does it make a difference that I first installed Lion by itself and then ran the Server app and have it install all of its Server-y stuff? Cuz I checked all of your guy's solutions and nothing is working for me and no results on Spotlight either?

Your hardware doesn't support the requirements for AirDrop. This will not change in any release. It appeared for the OP because he had hardware that was unsupported at that moment, but by now all hardware that supports this feature is supported in software.

Your hardware needs to support being used in ad-hoc and infrastructure mode simultaneously. Yours does not support this. AirDrop does not use the local network at all.

bayside
Jul 2, 2011, 07:19 PM
I have the same problem. I installed the 10.7 GM version today and no airdrop. When I check the my library file is hidden and when I accessed it it did not have any reference to airdrop as your picture did. What should I do? I am not sure how to make the library folder visible and how would I get the value for airdrop.

dtheory
Jul 20, 2011, 02:56 PM
Airdrop only works on more recent machines...
See the specs at the Lion page here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

Jag Firerwalker
Jul 21, 2011, 04:25 PM
I just came across the same problem with airdrop. Worst of all my MBP is from Early 2008. DAMN:mad:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4783

The following list shows the earliest of each Mac model type that is supported. If your Mac is the same, or newer than the model listed, then it supports AirDrop.

MacBookPro (Late 2008 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 or newer)
iMac (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)

gentlefury
Jul 21, 2011, 04:27 PM
I noticed no airdrop too. Is this a strictly wifi feature?? All my macs are hard wired.

Funkysphere
Jul 21, 2011, 05:20 PM
Hey Kids
So installed Lion on 2010 MBP, 2010 iMac and 2007(ancient) MBP. Previously, I was using DropCopy to transfer files between them and it has been my all-time face free app. I was excited for Airdrop, as it seemed like a super useful feature. It works great between my two newer computers but not at all on my geriatric model. My real criticism is that it takes two more steps than DropCopy to transfer a file. That and it's incompatibility with my older model is enough reason to just stick with DropCopy. I also really like the ability to transfer by dragging a file to the "drop zone" on my desktop or by using the right-click option when my desktop is covering it.
So, not a resolution to the Airdrop issue but a pretty useful option.

wilsonlaidlaw
Jul 22, 2011, 10:56 AM
I now recognise that my older Mac a 2007 iMac is not going to have Airdrop but it would be nice to have regular networking instead. Since Lionising both my Macs no networking between them. Changed every setting in file sharing and turned off firewalls (mac, Virus Barrier and Router), re-entered user names and passwords but still get "connection failed". Neither of my Macs can see files the other one has left on my Time Capsule either, so I think it may be file ownership issue. The only way I have been able to shift files today is to use DropBox - not very efficient. Seems like lots of us having this issue and screen sharing not working either.

wilsonlaidlaw
Jul 22, 2011, 11:18 AM
Update - I now have screen sharing working but still not networking - very frustrating.

gentlefury
Jul 22, 2011, 12:30 PM
So airdrop is on my mac mini, but not my mac pro...so it is wifi only...thats actually really lame.

MacNorvegicus
Jul 24, 2011, 04:59 AM
So airdrop is on my mac mini, but not my mac pro...so it is wifi only...thats actually really lame.

I agree, my iMac is connected with cable and I don't need wifi. Poorly adapted function!

big samm
Jul 24, 2011, 09:24 AM
i have a late 2008 mpb and airdrop is showing on the finder... -@I don't understand why it's not showing up for some people who have the same model as me... weird

eifer
Jul 24, 2011, 09:43 AM
Yeah it could have something to do with which type of wifi card you have.

Spencer23
Nov 29, 2011, 06:35 PM
This worked perfectly on my 2008 iMac:

You can enable AirDrop for older Lion systems at the Terminal command line.
Open Terminal. Paste this (without the quotes): "defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1"
Hit enter.

Now you'll need to restart Finder:

Paste this: killall Finder
Hit enter

Now go to "Go" and AirDrop should be in the drop down menu.

ibjoshua
Jan 2, 2012, 07:52 AM
This worked perfectly on my 2008 iMac:

You can enable AirDrop for older Lion systems at the Terminal command line.
Open Terminal. Paste this (without the quotes): "defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1"
Hit enter.

Now you'll need to restart Finder:

Paste this: killall Finder
Hit enter

Now go to "Go" and AirDrop should be in the drop down menu.

Thanks. This worked for me in my 7,1 (2007 first gen aluminium iMac) Beats me why they disabled it. A bit flakey maybe? My two machines are on the same Airport network if that makes any difference. I noted someone said Airdrop doesn't use the network, so thought that might be pertinent.