PDA

View Full Version : Running Lion on VMWare or Parallels

DandsM
Feb 26, 2011, 05:13 PM
Hey, haven't seen a dedicated thread for this, so please lets discuss here.

I'd like to know if any of you guys managed to do this and how.

Thanks

littleasian
Feb 26, 2011, 05:46 PM
i can confirm that windows xp sp2 works with vmware fusion 3.1.2 on lion. works just like in SL

DandsM
Feb 26, 2011, 05:58 PM
i can confirm that windows xp sp2 works with vmware fusion 3.1.2 on lion. works just like in SL
How did you install it? I got stuck at the boot screen. I'm using VMWare for Mac.

DandsM
Feb 26, 2011, 06:36 PM
I am going to install SL on a virtual machine and try to update to Lion from there, will post results here later.

monksealpup
Feb 26, 2011, 07:05 PM
I am going to install SL on a virtual machine and try to update to Lion from there, will post results here later.

Please do.

littleasian
Feb 26, 2011, 07:44 PM
i had vmware installed running SL before i upgraded to lion. the vmware still works

DandsM
Feb 26, 2011, 08:15 PM
i had vmware installed running SL before i upgraded to lion. the vmware still works

I am getting this message: "The guest operating system is not Mac OS X Server". I cannot start the VM. Can you help?

macfanboy
Feb 26, 2011, 09:46 PM
I am getting this message: "The guest operating system is not Mac OS X Server". I cannot start the VM. Can you help?

you have to touch a certain file in the install bundle in terminal. I forget which file, but you can probly find it in google

slackpacker
Feb 27, 2011, 07:38 AM
you have to touch a certain file in the install bundle in terminal. I forget which file, but you can probly find it in google

Really helpful there bucko :confused:

macTijn
Feb 27, 2011, 08:47 AM
instructions to install leo or snoleo in vmware can be found on http://blog.rectalogic.com/2008/08/virtualizing-mac-os-x-leopard-client.html

macTijn
Feb 27, 2011, 05:24 PM
I've been doing some research on how to get this to work on vmware/parallels/virtualbox. So far no luck.

VMWare Fusion (try 1)
used these instructions (http://blog.rectalogic.com/2008/08/virtualizing-mac-os-x-leopard-client.html) to circumvent (now invalid) non-server boot image detection.
Created a new host, gave it OSX 10.6 server type, selected the 10.7_11a390 dmg as iso source, added 2nd cpu, tweaked the .vmx (see link above - disabling VMWare's now-native EFI implementation), booted.
Result: CPU resets right after bootup, resulting in an endless loop.

VMWare Fusion (try 2)
created "Other / Other 64-bit" vm using EmpireEFI to boot Lion image.
Result: CPU resets right after bootup, resulting in an endless loop.

Parallels (try 1)
see VMWare (try 1)

Parallels (try 2)
see VMWare (try 2)

Virtualbox 4.0.4
created a "Mac OS X / Mac OS X Server (64-bit)" guest, all default settings
Result: bombs out with "The version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform!".

The VirtualBox method needs more investigation, since this message seems to come from the OSX bootup process. This might also be the case with VMWare and Parallels, as they might just catch this kind of error differently.

DandsM
Feb 27, 2011, 05:27 PM
@macTijn: I did exactly the same steps you did for VMWare and Parallels and no success.

I hope someone here help us to run ANY Mac OS version on these VM machines so we can upgrade to Lion.

Thanks!

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 27, 2011, 05:54 PM
I installed Lion successfully over 10.6.6 within VMware Fusion 3.1.2. The installation was very slow. The instructions, if i describe them, are probably 3 pages long. Right now, i do not have the time to do it.

What i found out is, that the boot loader and/or the kernel needs special parameters. But it also appears, that the EFI version must support certain features. A 64-Bit EFI is probably not enough. The minimal system from which you install Lion boots, but not the successfully installed System on the "internal" virtual HD. I did read on insanelymac, that SL-users had the same problem with boot loaders, if they did try to boot SL on their hackintosh. A new boot loader solved their problem. I hope VMware will support Lion DP in a new release of Fusion.

If i find the time, i will write a little manual for VMware Fusion, but it will not help you, because the EFI inside VMware Fusion is not compatible or you would not have the appropriate kernel parameters.

DandsM
Feb 27, 2011, 05:58 PM
I installed Lion successfully over 10.6.6 within VMware Fusion 3.1.2. The installation was very slow. The instructions, if i describe them, are probably 3 pages long. Right now, i do not have the time to do it.

What i found out is, that the boot loader and/or the kernel needs special parameters. But it also appears, that the EFI version must support certain features. A 64-Bit EFI is probably not enough. The minimal system from which you install Lion boots, but not the successfully installed System on the "internal" virtual HD. I did read on insanelymac, that SL-users had the same problem with boot loaders, if they did try to boot SL on their hackintosh. A new boot loader solved their problem. I hope VMware will support Lion DP in a new release of Fusion.

If i find the time, i will write a little manual for VMware Fusion, but it will not help you, because the EFI inside VMware Fusion is not compatible or you would not have the appropriate kernel parameters.

Awesome, please post this manual when you get the time. Much appreciated. Thanks!

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 27, 2011, 09:06 PM
Awesome, please post this manual when you get the time. Much appreciated. Thanks!

No manual available @ the moment, but some pictures from my experiments. This is the recovery system, and not a full version of Lion. As i explained it in my previous post, the full version can be installed over 10.6.6, but does not boot for various reasons.

Click on a thumbnail to enlarge it!

ayeying
Feb 27, 2011, 10:53 PM
you're gonna spend a lot of time trying something thats not possible right now.

if you want to test lion, it's best to install it on a 2nd partition. I partitioned out 50GB to test lion + current available apps.

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 28, 2011, 12:01 AM
...trying something thats not possible right now.

Not possible for you! :D

Lion runs here in VMware, without obvious problems (yes, the full version).

ayeying
Feb 28, 2011, 12:40 AM

Even running Snow Leopard under virtualization isn't the same as the real thing. I know, I've done it before. You're still missing out a lot of features, especially gestures (since VMware don't really support multi-touch gestures in their VMs, Parallels are okay with those) that Lion offers.

Furthermore, if you got it to work, might as well share how you did it for the others who wishes to install it via VM.

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 28, 2011, 01:55 AM
Even running Snow Leopard under virtualization isn't the same as the real thing. I know, I've done it before. You're still missing out a lot of features, especially gestures (since VMware don't really support multi-touch gestures in their VMs, Parallels are okay with those) that Lion offers.

Furthermore, if you got it to work, might as well share how you did it for the others who wishes to install it via VM.

I've a RL, and have not much time to write manuals. Parallels supports more OS X 10.6 or 10.7 features than Fusion? Great, i will try that if i have the time. My VMware Fusion Lion installation is still *very* experimental, unreliable and pretty "complicated". I need to reduce the necessary steps, before i write a manual.

richard.mac
Feb 28, 2011, 03:07 AM
well, if you've successfully installed the full version of Lion in Fusion give us a few details on how you did it. thats the nice thing to do. you don't HAVE to write a manual with step by step instructions for a newbie, no one asked you to do that :confused:, but if you want to by all means do it.

my Mac isn't compatible so really want to try Lion in a VM. ive tried using a script to make Fusion install client versions of OS X, but i cant get the installer to boot. also tried commenting out firmware="efi" in the the .vmx file but that causes the boot screen to not even show.

DoFoT9
Feb 28, 2011, 05:09 AM
No manual available @ the moment, but some pictures from my experiments. This is the recovery system, and not a full version of Lion. As i explained it in my previous post, the full version can be installed over 10.6.6, but does not boot for various reasons.
[/B]

when i attempted to upgrade to 10.6.6 it failed at life, wouldnt reboot so i had to resort back to a snapshot. any advice to be given here?

can you give us a brief run through of any steps to install Lion on vmware? doesnt have to be detailed, just brief :)

kidwithdimples
Feb 28, 2011, 06:37 AM
How do I install it on a partition on my external or internal?

phpmaven
Feb 28, 2011, 08:23 AM
well, if you've successfully installed the full version of Lion in Fusion give us a few details on how you did it. thats the nice thing to do. you don't HAVE to write a manual with step by step instructions for a newbie, no one asked you to do that :confused:, but if you want to by all means do it.

my Mac isn't compatible so really want to try Lion in a VM. ive tried using a script to make Fusion install client versions of OS X, but i cant get the installer to boot. also tried commenting out firmware="efi" in the the .vmx file but that causes the boot screen to not even show.

What makes you think that you will be able to run Lion in Fusion if your Mac is not compatible? It's the processor that's the problem. Fusion isn't going to emulate a Core Duo 2 and fake out the install.

ayeying
Feb 28, 2011, 09:31 AM

If your sig is correct, your MacBook Pro isn't going to work. It'll require a 64-bit processor, which the Core Duo's aren't.

However, there should be no reason the hackintosh won't work though.

richard.mac
Feb 28, 2011, 10:10 AM
yeah my MBP is a Core Duo and i cant get a Lion install or the installer to boot with chameleon. thats why i want to use a VM on my hackintosh.

DandsM
Feb 28, 2011, 11:05 AM

Could you please write a manual for us? Thanks

mjtomlin
Mar 1, 2011, 10:36 AM
double post

mjtomlin
Mar 1, 2011, 11:00 AM
Hey, haven't seen a dedicated thread for this, so please lets discuss here.

I'd like to know if any of you guys managed to do this and how.

Thanks

Edited: changed instructions, refer to link below.

===========================
UPDATE: Posted more detailed instructions at http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware

DoFoT9
Mar 1, 2011, 01:51 PM
I have Lion running in VMware Fusion (3.1.1) on my Mac (OS X 10.6.6)... I'll post detailed instructions, but in the meantime

YOU are incredible! thank you very very much for this posts.

pfft. 3 pages.

Xpired
Mar 1, 2011, 02:33 PM
UPDATE: Posted more detailed instructions at http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware

I followed along the instructions as closely as possible, buy my VM is hanging at the Apple logo and spinning gear upon startup. Switching over to verbose mode, I get the following output [see attachment]:

Any ideas?

mjtomlin
Mar 1, 2011, 03:03 PM
I followed along the instructions as closely as possible, buy my VM is hanging at the Apple logo and spinning gear upon startup. Switching over to verbose mode, I get the following output [see attachment]:

Any ideas?

Yeah, I figured that out...

Apparently my VM works because I originally had Snow Leopard installed and it initialized the nvram. I have an nvram file for download ... give me a second to upload it and I'll post the link here.

Okay, I updated my instructions on my site and provided a download link... http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware

There will be another problem after the installation process is completed.. I'm working on the instructions for that as we speak.

UPDATE: Okay, instructions are done, hopefully it works for you all? :)

Mr. Retrofire
Mar 1, 2011, 03:49 PM

Any ideas?

It is more difficult to produce the same results on different configurations. It is more difficult than the short (2 "printed" pages long) manual suggests. It is also the reason, why i did not posted my manual. I do not publish unfinished works. I guess we have to wait for the official support of Lion DP in Fusion. I heard VMware works on it. They certainly know our needs (http://communities.vmware.com/message/1706223).

richard.mac
Mar 1, 2011, 11:49 PM
wow thanks mjtomlin that worked! i can now try out Lion :D this is my first attempt installing OS X in a VM.

i had already made the old style installer on an external to try on my hack and so just needed to restore that to a disk image. after the next steps i added mjtomlin's NVRAM file, rebooted and the installer loaded fine.

something to note was i thought the \ for the kernel cache location shouldve been a /, but wasnt and worked fine and the Hard Drive and CD settings were already set properly for me. after installing i rebooted and Lion loaded fine.

i installed VMware Tools to allow a larger resolution, but i see it doesn't support quartz extreme (note: to get VMware Tools to mount you might need to restart after VMware tells you to disconnect the loaded CD)

mjtomlin
Mar 2, 2011, 12:53 AM
wow thanks mjtomlin that worked! i can now try out Lion :D this is my first attempt installing OS X in a VM.

i had already made the old style installer on an external to try on my hack and so just needed to restore that to a disk image. after the next steps i added mjtomlin's NVRAM file, rebooted and the installer loaded fine.

something to note was i thought the \ for the kernel cache location shouldve been a /, but wasnt and worked fine and the Hard Drive and CD settings were already set properly for me. after installing i rebooted and Lion loaded fine.

There are a lot of instructions for installing Snow Leopard. I attempted to install Lion using those instructions, but failed, so I just decided to install Snow Leopard and go from there. This is why I didn't notice a problem with the NVRAM until after I created a fresh install while writing and testing the instructions.

The forward slash is odd, but I got that from Apple's own examples of com.apple.Boot.plist files, most notably, com.apple.Boot.plist (http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/system_config/system_config-50.1/AppleTV/com.apple.Boot.plist)

This file shows all direct paths using forward slashes instead of the normal backwards slash.

DoFoT9
Mar 2, 2011, 03:07 AM

i installed VMware Tools to allow a larger resolution, but i see it doesn't support quartz extreme (note: to get VMware Tools to mount you might need to restart after VMware tells you to disconnect the loaded CD)

thank you VERY VERY much!!!

:) :) :D

http://f.cl.ly/items/1R36220J230K350I091M/Screen%20shot%202011-03-02%20at%208.06.16%20PM.jpg

richard.mac
Mar 2, 2011, 03:25 AM
nice dofrog! :D:D

im proud of my work in getting widescreen 1440x900ness… albeit VMware Tools is super easy to install

DoFoT9
Mar 2, 2011, 03:35 AM
nice dofrog! :D:D
BAHA!

im proud of my work in getting widescreen 1440x900ness… albeit VMware Tools is super easy to install

just installing tools now!

FTR, i did not need to choose the boot device, i basically stopped at step 10. all is working ok (i dont have CD device installed though).

kcckhk
Mar 2, 2011, 04:09 PM
http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware/

This Guide works 100%, however, I couldn't get Vmware Tools install properly,so the graphic and others don't work.

Any ideas? Thanks

DoFoT9
Mar 2, 2011, 05:21 PM
http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware/

This Guide works 100%, however, I couldn't get Vmware Tools install properly,so the graphic and others don't work.

Any ideas? Thanks

i couldnt get mine to work either, not that its a big hassle.

richard.mac
Mar 2, 2011, 05:42 PM
after you click Install VMware Tools it will complain there is already a disk image in the virtual CD device. let it disconnect the image, or if it doesn't disconnect from the disc icon on the bottom right, or eject the disc from within Lion if its on the desktop. then click Install VMware Tools again and it should mount on the desktop. if not restart Lion and try installing again and should mount. then just install and restart.

DoFoT9
Mar 2, 2011, 07:52 PM
after you click Install VMware Tools it will complain there is already a disk image in the virtual CD device. let it disconnect the image, or if it doesn't disconnect from the disc icon on the bottom right, or eject the disc from within Lion if its on the desktop. then click Install VMware Tools again and it should mount on the desktop. if not restart Lion and try installing again and should mount. then just install and restart.

tried about 3 times, no dice for me :( doesnt matter.

Mr. Retrofire
Mar 2, 2011, 08:22 PM
tried about 3 times, no dice for me :( doesnt matter.

1. Virtual CDs/DVDs do not work in 64-Bit EFI-"guests" or in Mac OS X server "guests".
2. However, shared folders work (requires at least a logout/login in the VM after the activation). You can mount:
/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/darwin.iso
on your host machine and you can copy the installer package to a shared folder.
3. You should be able to install the tools from the shared folder.

Good luck!

:)

Heinekev
Mar 3, 2011, 12:34 AM
Any luck getting the server tools to install? Says can't install this and gives the option to continue... saw reference on developer forums to a server.pkg, but it's nowhere to be found.

Nice instructions!

DoFoT9
Mar 3, 2011, 01:53 AM
1. Virtual CDs/DVDs do not work in 64-Bit EFI-"guests" or in Mac OS X server "guests".
2. However, shared folders work (requires at least a logout/login in the VM after the activation). You can mount:
/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/darwin.iso
on your host machine and you can copy the installer package to a shared folder.
3. You should be able to install the tools from the shared folder.

Good luck!

:)

ahh. this will work very nicely! thanks very much for all of your input and insight :)

chrispytwist
Mar 3, 2011, 09:53 AM
Obvious Logic's guide works wonderfully. However on my iMac, if I make any resolution changes, the screen redraw and mouse coordinates get severely thrown off. So be wary of that.

Thanks!

MacGeek50
Mar 4, 2011, 12:18 AM
I did my very best to follow the instructions to a "T" but when I go to boot Lion, it does a Kernel Panic in VMWare every time :confused: :confused:

MacGeek50
Mar 4, 2011, 12:26 AM
I did my very best to follow the instructions to a "T" but when I go to boot Lion, it does a Kernel Panic in VMWare every time :confused: :confused:

UPDATE: Ok so now it's just stuck at the apple logo with the spinner going. :confused:

richard.mac
Mar 4, 2011, 12:54 AM
Obvious Logic's guide works wonderfully. However on my iMac, if I make any resolution changes, the screen redraw and mouse coordinates get severely thrown off. So be wary of that.

Thanks!

yeah i ran into some bugs where i couldn't do anything after adjusting the res and had to restart. i think theres a problem with the VMware tools. ive just set it to window mode @ 1440x900 and left it.

UPDATE: Ok so now it's just stuck at the apple logo with the spinner going. :confused:

if your installer disk image is setup properly all you pretty much need to do afterwards is touch ServerVersion.plist, check the hard disk and CD settings are correct (i only had to disable splitting) & replace/add the nvram file. then the installer will boot and for me Lion booted fine after installing. so check these first, if they are ok check your installer disk setup.

richard.mac
Mar 4, 2011, 05:17 AM
got audio working with this http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/Audio/Archive/SnowLeopard/EnsoniqAudioPCI_1.0.2_for_SnowLeopard.mpkg.tar.gz/download

laggy and a little crackly though... lets just say don't listen to music with it :D

MacGeek50
Mar 4, 2011, 09:07 AM
yeah i ran into some bugs where i couldn't do anything after adjusting the res and had to restart. i think theres a problem with the VMware tools. ive just set it to window mode @ 1440x900 and left it.

if your installer disk image is setup properly all you pretty much need to do afterwards is touch ServerVersion.plist, check the hard disk and CD settings are correct (i only had to disable splitting) & replace/add the nvram file. then the installer will boot and for me Lion booted fine after installing. so check these first, if they are ok check your installer disk setup.

So I disabled splitting, replaced the .nvram file , and completed the touch ServerVersion.plist. Still does the same thing.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff123/dmoore5/Screenshot2011-03-04at80448AM.png:(

I think where my issue is (in accordance with your instructions) is Step 5 I had trouble on.

Mr. Retrofire
Mar 4, 2011, 02:47 PM
got audio working with this http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/Audio/Archive/SnowLeopard/EnsoniqAudioPCI_1.0.2_for_SnowLeopard.mpkg.tar.gz/download

laggy and a little crackly though... lets just say don't listen to music with it :D

http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-sound.html

;-)

Transporteur
Mar 4, 2011, 03:56 PM

Dead link!

Hellhammer
Mar 4, 2011, 03:59 PM
Dead link!

Works fine for me.

mjtomlin
Mar 4, 2011, 05:44 PM
Dead link!

Not sure why you weren't able to connect? I haven't rebooted my server in a few days...

HawaiiMacAddict
Mar 4, 2011, 06:21 PM

Aloha mjtomlin,

Thanks ever so much for the link. I now have Lion installed and running on my late 2008 Core2Duo MacBook Pro! I didn't get a very good Geekbench score, but oh well ... it's not as if it's running natively.

EDIT: I will add that I have had some strange reactions to changing the resolution and/or changing the size of the VM window. I'm just keeping it at the same size for now :D

DoFoT9
Mar 4, 2011, 06:45 PM
Not sure why you weren't able to connect? I haven't rebooted my server in a few days...

youre not using parallels, thats why ;)

macfan246
Mar 4, 2011, 08:24 PM
Hopefully someone can help... I've been through the entire process twice now and ended with the same result. The VM tries to boot Lion from the HDD (I get the apple logo), but the spinner keeps spinning and it never boots. (This is following the first boot where an error is displayed saying the OS was not the Sever version. I touch ServerVersion.plist and complete step 12).

I'm using VMWare Fusion (trial version but I don't think that should matter). I notice that the VM HDD activity icon flashes blue a few times but then just stays black.

The only two points of the instructions that I wasn't 100% sure about was:

1)When 'restoring' the Base System image to the 'MyInstaller' image in step #4 I select the two partitions as the source/destination. Should I be choosing the BaseSystem.dmg as the source and the MyInstaller.cdr as opposed to the using the partitions?

2)The other area where I wasn't completely certain that I was doing the right thing was when I edited com.apple.Boot.plist in step #5. I added the new key/string pair directly above the existing 'Kernel Flags' key/string pair but within the same <dict> </dict> tags. Should I be adding a new <dict> pair?

e.g. I had:

<dict>
<key>Kernel Cache</key>
<string>\kernelcache</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
</dict>

Should it be the following?:

<dict>
<key>Kernel Cache</key>
<string>\kernelcache</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
</dict>

Thanks for any assistance! Looking forward to testing Lion but don't want to install it on a physical machine just yet. FWIW I have a mid 2010 Macbook Pro.

mjtomlin
Mar 5, 2011, 09:47 AM
Hopefully someone can help... I've been through the entire process twice now and ended with the same result. The VM tries to boot Lion from the HDD (I get the apple logo), but the spinner keeps spinning and it never boots. (This is following the first boot where an error is displayed saying the OS was not the Sever version. I touch ServerVersion.plist and complete step 12).

Could be several things. First, you might want to turn on verbose mode to see where the boot process stops. You need to boot back up from the "CD" image again like in step #11. Open the terminal and edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file (/Volumes/OS X Lion HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration) and add the following as the string value under "Kernel Flags" key;

-v

Reboot the system and take a screen shot when it "hangs".

1)When 'restoring' the Base System image to the 'MyInstaller' image in step #4 I select the two partitions as the source/destination. Should I be choosing the BaseSystem.dmg as the source and the MyInstaller.cdr as opposed to the using the partitions?

You want the mounted volumes, not the drive images... see first attachment.

2)The other area where I wasn't completely certain that I was doing the right thing was when I edited com.apple.Boot.plist in step #5. I added the new key/string pair directly above the existing 'Kernel Flags' key/string pair but within the same <dict> </dict> tags. Should I be adding a new <dict> pair?

The plist file should always only contain one dictionary, Refer to the second attachment to see how mine is.

Transporteur
Mar 5, 2011, 12:30 PM

Strange. Neither Safari, nor Chrome can't connect to your site.

I always get "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to www.obviouslogic.com:8080", respectively "Safari can’t open the page “http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/solutions/lion-vmware” because Safari can’t connect to the server “www.obviouslogic.com”."

Edit: Problem solved, Little Snitch blocked the site.
Thanks for the detailed how to!

macfan246
Mar 5, 2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks for taking the time to help, mjtomlin, I really appreciate it!

Hmm, based on your answers to the 'key/string' and 'restore' questions I had, I'm not sure where I went wrong.

I enabled verbose mode and have attached it to this message, hopefully it sheds some light (and I haven't just made a dumb mistake...).

Transporteur
Mar 5, 2011, 03:31 PM
Got a slight problem here, I can't even get it to boot once.

I currently try to do step 10, but can't get any further than this:

mjtomlin
Mar 5, 2011, 05:25 PM
Got a slight problem here, I can't even get it to boot once.

I currently try to do step 10, but can't get any further than this:

Are you sure you copied the kernelcache file to the root directory of your installer image?

Also make sure you updated the Boot file correctly in com.apple.Boot.plist ... and be sure to use a forward slash \ not a backwards slash / when specifying the location; \kernelcache

Check all spelling and typos as well.

mjtomlin
Mar 5, 2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks for taking the time to help, mjtomlin, I really appreciate it!

Hmm, based on your answers to the 'key/string' and 'restore' questions I had, I'm not sure where I went wrong.

I enabled verbose mode and have attached it to this message, hopefully it sheds some light (and I haven't just made a dumb mistake...).

And you're sure you're not using a hard drive image that is split into 2GB files?

macfan246
Mar 5, 2011, 10:28 PM
And you're sure you're not using a hard drive image that is split into 2GB files?

Yeah, followed that step and disabled the 2GB splits. :/

MacGeek50
Mar 6, 2011, 06:10 AM
I got it all to work 100% with sound! :D just had to stare at the instructions for a few minutes at a time. Thanks so much for the share! :apple:

Transporteur
Mar 6, 2011, 07:30 AM
Are you sure you copied the kernelcache file to the root directory of your installer image?

Also make sure you updated the Boot file correctly in com.apple.Boot.plist ... and be sure to use a forward slash \ not a backwards slash / when specifying the location; \kernelcache

Check all spelling and typos as well.

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I started from scratch and now the machine boots.

However, I get a kernel panic about 1 second after the OS X language selector shows up.

Hard drive and CD settings are 100% correct, so I'm not exactly sure where the problem might be.

DoFoT9
Mar 7, 2011, 02:19 AM
I got it all to work 100% with sound! :D just had to stare at the instructions for a few minutes at a time. Thanks so much for the share! :apple:

i love how you put the "got it" in the title - makes you sound so excited!

congrats.

also congrats to you Transporteur. happy VMing!

macfan246
Mar 7, 2011, 04:26 AM
Don't know what I was doing wrong the last few times, but just went through the process again and Lion is now booting!

Thanks for putting this guide together, it is really appreciated.

Transporteur
Mar 7, 2011, 04:36 AM
also congrats to you Transporteur. happy VMing!

I'm not quite there yet. Still get a KP after the machine boots up the first time (first step of the installation process, which is the language select).

macfan246
Mar 7, 2011, 04:39 AM
I'm interested in trying the server components (VPN, etc.). Apparently they have to be selected when installing which I didn't try the last time.

I just tried performing another install with them selected, however I received the error attached. Is this something to do with the custom installer we created? My understanding is that server components were included in the beta.

DoFoT9
Mar 7, 2011, 05:27 AM
I'm not quite there yet. Still get a KP after the machine boots up the first time (first step of the installation process, which is the language select).

oh, well that really does suck.

mind sharing your computer specs? maybe that might indicate something.

Transporteur
Mar 7, 2011, 08:29 AM
oh, well that really does suck.

mind sharing your computer specs? maybe that might indicate something.

2009 octad with loads of RAM and SSD to store the VM file.

I tried the VM with standard settings (1 core, 1GB RAM), as well as my own settings (4 cores, 4GB RAM) and tried it on a mechanical drive as well.

The image file is fine, I guess, since the VM boots without problems.
What Fusion version are you guys running? I'm on 3.0.0.

Another option would be to Bootcamp Lion, unfortunately BootCamp doesn't work on external eSATA drives and neither Parallels, nor VMWare recognise partitions that haven't be created via BC. Pity.

MacGeek50
Mar 8, 2011, 12:11 AM

I tried the VM with standard settings (1 core, 1GB RAM), as well as my own settings (4 cores, 4GB RAM) and tried it on a mechanical drive as well.

Another option would be to Bootcamp Lion, unfortunately BootCamp doesn't work on external eSATA drives and neither Parallels, nor VMWare recognise partitions that haven't be created via BC. Pity.

Not too sure how much my advice will help you out, but look at the instructions again thoroughly. I had to re-try everything more than once and it took about 4 different attempts. Really read through each instructions and pay close attention to Step 5. :apple: Good Luck!

gr8phan
Mar 8, 2011, 10:29 PM
First, thanks for all of the detail here - much appreciated!

I recently completed my first pass through the instructions, and when I boot, I don't get past the initial Apple splash screen. I have not yet enabled -v.

Just wondering if anybody got stuck at a similar point. I'm using Fusion 3.1, and left the defaults for the VM, on a Late 2008 MB with 4GB.

UPDATE: Reviewed my settings after some sleep, and realize I'm stuck at the same point as a couple of others. Verified that the NVRAM file is in place, and plist is correct (matches the sample), but still stuck at the same point (screenshot attached). Any thoughts from those stuck at the same point?

Thanks again for the detail and any help!

macfan246
Mar 9, 2011, 04:49 AM
I'm interested in trying the server components (VPN, etc.). Apparently they have to be selected when installing which I didn't try the last time.

I just tried performing another install with them selected, however I received the error attached. Is this something to do with the custom installer we created? My understanding is that server components were included in the beta.

Any thoughts? :(

DoFoT9
Mar 9, 2011, 07:20 AM

i think 3.0.0 might actually be your problem. because i do recall that a number of hacks required the light version of 3.1.1 (for some particular reason) in order to get osx running. its a free download if you are a registered vmware user, so maybe that is worth a download?

Transporteur
Mar 9, 2011, 07:50 AM
i think 3.0.0 might actually be your problem. because i do recall that a number of hacks required the light version of 3.1.1 (for some particular reason) in order to get osx running. its a free download if you are a registered vmware user, so maybe that is worth a download?

Cheers mate. I'll try it when I come home today.

Edit: Bingo! Updated to 3.1.2 (latest version) and now the VM runs like a charm. Thank's again for the hint DoFoT9.

So everyone who has issues with installing Lion, make sure to use the latest VMWare version!

gr8phan
Mar 9, 2011, 09:01 PM
I updated to 3.1.2 and went through the steps again to create the VM, but am still stuck at the same spot.

Also, I can't access mjtomlin's site - hope he didn't catch any heat over this.

Stratus Fear
Mar 10, 2011, 02:24 PM

Same problem here. Tried to find the .pkg files for the server stuff manually, don't know what they're called and nothing that looks like they'd be it in the Packages directory either...

mjtomlin
Mar 11, 2011, 02:21 PM
Also, I can't access mjtomlin's site - hope he didn't catch any heat over this.

Sorry. The site should be back up and running. The Apache log files had grown to almost 200MB! Had to turn off error logging.

mjtomlin
Mar 11, 2011, 02:26 PM
Same problem here. Tried to find the .pkg files for the server stuff manually, don't know what they're called and nothing that looks like they'd be it in the Packages directory either...

If I remember correctly the Server Packages are a separate download after the install. That's what the "TBD" means in the size column in the installer. I think it means "To Be Downloaded". Not 100% sure about that, but I thought I read that somewhere!? Furthermore, the Server Packages may not even be ready yet.

mjtomlin
Mar 11, 2011, 02:57 PM
For those people having issues, putting up a screen shot of the boot process is good, but looking through the actual log files would be better...

You can mount the virtual HD in OS X and then (using Terminal) go to its /var/log directory and look at both kernel.log and system.log

There should be something in either of these showing exactly where it's failing.

gr8phan
Mar 11, 2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, mjtomlin

Unless I missed a step earlier, the vmdk is empty - there is no directory to browse.

gr8phan
Mar 17, 2011, 10:01 PM
Looks like I messed up step 4 initially. I created a new image and did the restore, rather than copy, and got Lion installed.

Mik3F
Mar 21, 2011, 06:18 PM
Just followed a guide on the net and now have Lion running under VMware Fusion :D

kzoojason76
Mar 23, 2011, 09:33 AM
Probably a stupid question... but has anyone gotten this to work in VMWare Workstation 7.1.2 ?

I'm able to get Snow Leopard working just fine. I wanted to play with Lion.

- Jason

kzoojason76
Mar 23, 2011, 11:23 AM
I found a good example.

http://www.sysprobs.com/working-method-install-mac-107-lion-vmware-windows-7-intel-pc

AnonMac50
Mar 30, 2011, 12:39 PM
Hi, sorry for bumping a relatively old thread, I can't connect to the site. Is there a problem?

dbrashear
Mar 31, 2011, 06:57 PM
1) yeah, it looks like the site is down
2) dp2 won't install in vmware unless you make the OSInstall.mpkg's Distribution script not run the isSupportedPlatform test. it's an xar. extract, edit, recreate.
3) i still have the issue that a javascript script fails when i try to install xcode. unsure why yet. i think it's failing on a disk size check (i need a 60gb disk to be able to even try to install; and installing the OS misidentifies it as a 42gb disk)

dbrashear
Mar 31, 2011, 07:07 PM
also, instead of the fussy "boot the cd again" step? just before it reboots at the end of the install, choose "terminal" from the utilities menu, and it won't reboot. cd into /Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices and touch ServerVersion.plist

AnonMac50
Apr 1, 2011, 11:28 AM
This site is a mirror:

http://www.r2x2.com/users/lsb/weblog/b41f7/Howto_install_OSX_107_Lion_in_vmware.html

Anyway, I will try that OSInstall.mpkg thing.

Cool, thanks for the tip.

AnonMac50
Apr 1, 2011, 12:18 PM
This site is a mirror:

http://www.r2x2.com/users/lsb/weblog/b41f7/Howto_install_OSX_107_Lion_in_vmware.html

Anyway, I will try that OSInstall.mpkg thing.

Cool, thanks for the tip.

How do I edit? What do I edit? etc.

Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. Thanks.

dbrashear
Apr 1, 2011, 11:28 PM
if you get a javascript error trying to install Xcode into it, copy the DVD into your VM, cd into the mpkg, cd into Contents, and edit the iPhoneSDKSL.dist file.

my.target.mountpoint should be replaced with "/Volumes/Macintosh HD" (or your disk name)
my.target.SystemVersion.ProductVersion with '10.7' and system.Version.ProductVersion with '10.7' also.

or just make all the falses trues and move on.

AnonMac50
Apr 2, 2011, 01:54 AM
Thanks, you've been a great help.

:D:D:D:D:D

mjtomlin
Apr 7, 2011, 11:09 PM
Sorry guys! My site is down for the count until I can afford to catch up on my overdue ISP bill. Whoops! LOL

Anyway, just head to the mirrored site mentioned above. Thanks for the mirror, by the way! :-)

Good luck!

Michael

michad
Apr 15, 2011, 08:36 AM
I have the same error as post 61 in this thread. I have redone the steps through 8 about 4 times now. I went through just now and verified that each step is correctly represented in my image.

Current version of VM, replacement nvram, serverversion.plist touched. No go, each time it fails at boot and of course I have no background of what I can do with the Shell there.

Any pointers or should I look for a complete solution somewhere on the net?

Update, my DVD image doesnt boot, so maybe my problem is more related to that than having missed a step in the instructions.

finder39
May 2, 2011, 08:33 PM
anyone figure out a way for parallels?

AnonMac50
May 3, 2011, 08:36 AM
anyone figure out a way for parallels?

I think so. Try installing 10.6, and updating to 10.6.7. Get the nvram from it, then do the steps in the guide. It use the new nvram though. I haven't tried this, as I finally installed Lion on an external HDD (and have for some time) and so haven't started my VMware VM or tried making one in Parallels. Tell me how it goes.

AnonMac50

applephysci
Jul 11, 2011, 01:21 PM
Has anyone been successful installing the GM version on VMWare or Parallels? Given that OSX Lion will only be obtainable by downloading from the Mac Store, how does one go about installing it?

SeanU
Jul 21, 2011, 12:21 PM
Has anyone been successful installing the GM version on VMWare or Parallels? Given that OSX Lion will only be obtainable by downloading from the Mac Store, how does one go about installing it?

I am doing an install right now from the app store download. Just look in the Applications folder for the "Install Mac OS X Lion" package, view package contents, look in the "SharedSupport" folder for InstallESD.dmg, and mount it.

I had to edit the vmx file to increase the ram on my vm since the install requires 2gb ram, and Fusion was only allowing me to set 1.8gb max.

Right now, the installer is running... up to step 10 in the instructions.

Sean

McNitefly
Aug 22, 2011, 12:52 PM
Hey finder39,

I've tried everything, including burning a installer DVD and installing from there... but it didn't work.
Currently, it's not possible to install Lion as guest OS under parallels.

But somebody posted twitter message from a guy working at Parallels that their developers are working on it.

... well, I guess a twitter message wouldn't really be necessary ... of course they are working on it. They want to sell their product :)

... so let's enjoy the summer ... and start our next try to install Lion when it's possible ;-)

Greetings,

McNitefly (http://mcnitefly.blogspot.com)