PDA

View Full Version : 10.7 All the Little Things!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

inkhead
Feb 26, 2011, 05:24 PM
Pictures really don't do 10.7 justice. It's all about the slick animations and gestures. When you go back in the browser for example, as you start to slide, the previous page is shown behind the first one…

There's so many amazing details and fixes of longtime annoying things.

Also spotlight show realtime previews, if tells you a 2nd line of text, and if you hover over a font, it shows you a preview, hover over a bookmark, it shows the page, hover over a ical event it shows you that event in detail, which you can then click into…

My #1 feature:
⌘G = Group Selected Files into a Folder

Spotlight Realtime Previews http://t.co/xxwQKA0
Migration Assistant for Windows (exe)
Sliding the trackpad to the left with 2 fingers in safari presents a visual back button, like stacks of pages you see the pages on back and forward
You know how IE on windows always scrolled smooth and really fast? Safari Finally does that. Javascript is sandboxed per tab, making scrolling perfect.
Quicktime Video capture supports ⌘+SHIFT+4 style cropping of capture area
Quicktime adds back in all the copy&paste, insert clip features of Quicktime Pro
Quicktime has lots more export options…
Quicktime screencapture has an option to highlight your user clicks
There's animated icons on some finder sidebar items like airdrop
There's over 22 different view combinations for the finder, finally i can instally scroll through my 480 installed apps without the finder lagging
Custom Colors for Desktop Background from color picker…
Real security at the screensaver, instead of a single app protecting you, it actually uses loginwindow process
Filevault is much more innovative, no more hours waiting to encrypt the disk off the bat
Quicktime now has crop video, rotate video, resize, trim
10.7 Hides the library folder in your home directory, so you dont' put it full of junk, this is because mobileme will shortly automatically sync your home directory if you choose…
you can base stuff around profiles, so it brings back "location in a way, to have different settings for home, work", say sexy wallpaper at home, nice one at home (this takes work to configure)
The finder grid layout actually works…
You can finally sort files by "date added" like stacks
There's animations for everything, slick simple transitions that remind you of the polish of the iphone. Stuff that makes it easier to understand what your OS is doing with visuals
Reverse scrolling like iOS is on by default, you can disable it at the top of trackpad options… but it's awesome after a few days.
SSD Trim support (If you have an intel SSD don't complain, as intel doesn't support TRIM in any of their SSDs and won't until later this summer)
Preview is a powerhouse app, you can even sign your document just by holding a piece of paper up to the camera with your signature (it saves it for you!) http://t.co/QYcfqBL
The ability to auto save versions if you choose is awesome, if you don't want it you can keep your file "locked" so to speak, where it means it saves a version, instead of revisions
I'm just getting warmed up there's so many little things that have been fixed that I've dreamed of since 10.0, Apple really is going all out in 10.7

Maclver
Feb 26, 2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks for this! the bit about Intel not supporting TRIM was helpful.. I didn't know that.. I always thought it was something done at the operating system level!

Cougarcat
Feb 26, 2011, 05:33 PM
Here's another one: Spaces can have different desktop backgrounds now.

QuarterSwede
Feb 26, 2011, 05:35 PM
You forgot Quick Look looking like a window not a HUD. I don't like that. I'll admit that I only saw it once in a video. It may be much more useful now.

PBF
Feb 26, 2011, 05:38 PM
Wow, Safari two-finger history sliding is so freakin' cool. Had no idea you could do that. Thanks for the tip! :)

baddj
You can turn the lights back on in the dock thats something nice.

http://img402.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110226at100.png/

iPhoneCollector
you just gave us more information than any of those wana-be techsavys around the web, thank you. i think those little thing sre the ones that will make lion superb.

Blakeco123
Feb 26, 2011, 05:39 PM
theres a location service menu now under security in system prefs.

QuarterSwede
Feb 26, 2011, 05:40 PM
you just gave us more information than any of those wana-be techsavys around the web, thank you. i think those little thing sre the ones that will make lion superb.
You mean all those sites that reference each other and post the same articles all the time. Yeah.

PBF
Feb 26, 2011, 05:44 PM
OP, you're doing a great job! Please, update the original post as more tips are coming in.

QuarterSwede
Feb 26, 2011, 05:46 PM
OP, you're doing a great job! Please, update the original post as more tips are coming in.
And pictures! More eye candy!

PBF
Feb 26, 2011, 06:00 PM
Q: Where do I find Preview's signature feature? Ta.

DandsM
Feb 26, 2011, 06:01 PM
AWESOME post, keep up the good work!

KirkL
Feb 26, 2011, 06:10 PM
Wow. That Spotlight thing is really cool!

Thanks so much for doing this :D

baddj
Feb 26, 2011, 06:13 PM

Open preview > click "preview" in the finder menu bar thingo > preferences > signature.

kirky29
Feb 26, 2011, 06:14 PM

In previews Prefs under the tab 'Signatures'
:)

LoganT
Feb 26, 2011, 06:16 PM
Command+G sounds awesome.

kuwisdelu
Feb 26, 2011, 06:23 PM

This is fairly trivial, but nonetheless I can't wait for it. That will be cool.

Maclver
Feb 26, 2011, 06:28 PM
I created a thread and found out it was already figured out but would like to add to this

To hide/remove apps from Launchpad just ctrl + opt + cmd and click!

PBF
Feb 26, 2011, 06:36 PM
I created a thread and found out it was already figured out but would like to add to this

There's no way Apple will leave this keyboard shortcut as the only way to remove apps from Launchpad. I bet next beta will feature a much user-friendlier and more intuitive way to customize one's Launchpad.

axu539
Feb 26, 2011, 06:36 PM
Actually, Intel has been supporting TRIM for a while now..

Cougarcat
Feb 26, 2011, 06:37 PM
There's no way Apple will leave this keyboard shortcut as the only way to remove apps from Launchpad. I bet next beta will feature a much user-friendlier and more intuitive command to customize one's Launchpad.

I also hope they let you remove Launchpad from the dock.

Maclver
Feb 26, 2011, 06:39 PM
Actually, Intel has been supporting TRIM for a while now..

Ok lol.. Which is it!!! I just hope the next beta or two its enabled on mine

PBF
Feb 26, 2011, 06:40 PM
I also hope they let you remove Launchpad from the dock.
That's the very first thing I tried to do when I finally installed Lion on my Mac. :D

The trimmer the dock, the better. :D

axu539
Feb 26, 2011, 06:54 PM
Ok lol.. Which is it!!! I just hope the next beta or two its enabled on mine

Well, Intel has been supporting TRIM since late 09 I believe, but OS X has not. Lion has support for Apple's official CTO SSDs, but not for 3rd-party SSDs as of yet.

goobot
Feb 26, 2011, 07:08 PM
Quicktime now has crop video, rotate video, resize, trim

im 99% sure it already does that

aberrero
Feb 26, 2011, 07:09 PM
Where can I access file vault? It isn't in my utilities folder.

funrush
Feb 26, 2011, 07:54 PM
This is the 512px 'All my Files' icon. It has Steve Jobs quotes written on it.

http://i56.tinypic.com/acss51.png

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new"

"In most people’s vocabularies, design means veneer. It’s interior decorating. But to me, nothing could be further from the meaning of design"

Text from Think different campaign:

"Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

VolceOntra
Feb 26, 2011, 07:56 PM
Can anyone else confirm that Internet sharing Ethernet to Wifi is broken?

Plymouthbreezer
Feb 26, 2011, 07:56 PM
Preview is a powerhouse app, you can even sign your document just by holding a piece of paper up to the camera with your signature (it saves it for you!) http://t.co/QYcfqBL
This is great; thanks for posting!

MBX
Feb 26, 2011, 07:59 PM
You forgot Quick Look looking like a window not a HUD. I don't like that. I'll admit that I only saw it once in a video. It may be much more useful now.

I agree, it's a bit of a shame it's bright (white) now instead of the darker hud style. If you preview images you want it to be dark not bright.

MacsFuture
Feb 26, 2011, 08:23 PM
FaceTime in Lion is version 1.0.1 not version 1.0. And FaceTime is included in Lion. If you have the Beta in Snow Leopard, probably better to wait for Lion than pay the 99 cents for the upgrade.

theBigD23
Feb 26, 2011, 08:24 PM
GREAT post!

Another item I noticed is missing is "Search For" from Finder completely. Never used the feature. Glad to see that it's gone.

VolceOntra
Feb 26, 2011, 08:27 PM
FaceTime in Lion is version 1.0.1 not version 1.0. And FaceTime is included in Lion. If you have the Beta in Snow Leopard, probably better to wait for Lion than pay the 99 cents for the upgrade.

1.1 actually.

aberrero
Feb 26, 2011, 08:31 PM
Ya, it includes FaceTime, thankfully.

It is still incredibly buggy though. Hasn't crashed yet, but window management in general is pretty broken.

theBigD23
Feb 26, 2011, 08:36 PM
You can now also search in Column View! Huge deal for me. Searching only in Icons or List was frustrating.

VolceOntra
Feb 26, 2011, 08:48 PM
Safari now automatically sets up mail accounts to be used w/ Address Book, Mail, etc...

http://oi53.tinypic.com/2ur9l4g.jpg

appleguy123
Feb 26, 2011, 09:51 PM
Signature won't recognize my iSight. Anyone have the solution.
-New Dictionary popups.

CarsonGallo
Feb 26, 2011, 10:43 PM
When I highlight a word and right click look up in dictionary nothing happens for me. Anyone else having a similar problem?

Chundles
Feb 26, 2011, 10:49 PM
-New Dictionary popups.

Same issue with Preview - I opened up FaceTime and then Preview again and it was recognised.

PurrBall
Feb 26, 2011, 10:52 PM
Can't remember ever seeing this before- if you select an item in column view, there's a mini QuickLook.

Madd the Sane
Feb 26, 2011, 10:55 PM
One thing I noticed when looking through the .pkg files (I don't have the guts to install it) is that now there's a whole lot more voices and the speech services support different languages.

PurrBall
Feb 26, 2011, 10:58 PM
One thing I noticed when looking through the .pkg files (I don't have the guts to install it) is that now there's a whole lot more voices and the speech services support different languages.

Different languages and also various accents! If you look through the Speech PrefPane you can see them all, but they won't download.

neko girl
Feb 26, 2011, 11:03 PM
Can't remember ever seeing this before- if you select an item in column view, there's a mini QuickLook.
I just noticed the buttons in the button bar where you select your view mode look the opposite of Finder today. The depressed buttons are un-selected and the popped up button is selected. Hmm.

appleguy123
Feb 26, 2011, 11:17 PM
I asked this in another thread, but didn't get an answer.
Does speech sound notably more natural and properly inflected to anyone else?

CarsonGallo
Feb 26, 2011, 11:18 PM
The Help Center has got a new facelift. And you gotta be kidding me Facetime being pre-installed on Lion. The very last thing I did on my MAc with Snow Leopard was buy FaceTime. And the second to last thing which took me 3 straight days, not even stopping to sleep was to figure out how to get The Sims 1 for Mac to work. After finally getting it to work I played 3 hours. After waiting 5 years. But because Mac OS Lion doesn't support PowerPC Apps by the way, which is another new, or excluded feature if you will. I never get to play it now. Unless somebody figures out a way to get around Lion stopping from Rosetta installing which is being discussed in this forum.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1100993
O and while I was writing this I discovered that inserted links when clicked on the arrow to the right of them in mail now open a preview of the web page it leads to. And in the top right hand corner theres a button that says "Open In Safari App" and obviously u know what that does. But anyways I've only had Lion for a day, and its already screwed me twice. But, yeah its a beta, but still talk about bad luck. Well at least the help center help center has a NEW LOOK! LOL! Always look on the bright side. lol.

CarsonGallo
Feb 26, 2011, 11:24 PM
O and just before I did my post before I discovered this as well. The right click menu thing now has an arrow if you highlight something and right click low enough down the screen, it puts an arrow underneath because theres not enough space to show all the menu functions cause you clicked so low down the screen, and as soon as you hover your mouse down it automatically starts scrolling down and pushing up the right click menu to show you the remaining functions. O and I also discovered this as well while also typing this. Your incorrectly spelled words are underline differently. It kind of looks like a Black&White blue. If that even makes sense. But anyways Apple is really liking Black&Blue.

CarsonGallo
Feb 26, 2011, 11:31 PM
Got another one. You can now search for files and see whether they are supported by directly right clicking on them, and click App Store and see if that file u are trying to open is supported by anything in The Mac App Store.

DoFoT9
Feb 26, 2011, 11:32 PM
this is a great thread. have just installed L (lion). have discovered many bugs actually, but too annoying to mention.

i do like the additional features to Screen SHaring.

its the little things ;)

LoganT
Feb 26, 2011, 11:50 PM
I predict at least 100 pages and a sticky very soon for this thread.

PurrBall
Feb 26, 2011, 11:52 PM
O and just before I did my post before I discovered this as well. The right click menu thing now has an arrow if you highlight something and right click low enough down the screen, it puts an arrow underneath because theres not enough space to show all the menu functions cause you clicked so low down the screen, and as soon as you hover your mouse down it automatically starts scrolling down and pushing up the right click menu to show you the remaining functions.

That's been there forever.

richard.mac
Feb 26, 2011, 11:58 PM
you can now quick look from within a stack (arrow up or click a stack and drag to select a file and press space)

awesome feature! maybe already been mentioned somewhere in the forum though.

ECUpirate44
Feb 27, 2011, 12:01 AM
It's gonna take a few day's to learn/remember all of these new gestures :D. So far, Lion is impressive!

appleguy123
Feb 27, 2011, 12:08 AM
It's gonna take a few day's to learn/remember all of these new gestures :D. So far, Lion is impressive!

I know! I installed it on a small partition, but now it is so much better than snow leopard I want it on my main drive.

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 12:12 AM
Well Back To My Mac has apparently gone free as noted here by 9To5 Mac.
****************6WmmV
And you can now initiate FaceTime from Address Book. Which was also completely redesigned by the way. Sure that was actually mentioned already though.

Blakeco123
Feb 27, 2011, 12:13 AM
Can anyone else confirm that Internet sharing Ethernet to Wifi is broken?

i can confirm that wifi to ethernet is broken

Blakeco123
Feb 27, 2011, 12:13 AM
if you quick look a gif file it plays it instead of just showing a thumbnail

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 12:16 AM
Wait is there a way to install SNow Leopard on a small partition if you installed lIon fon your main from the Start. I didn;t know you could install lion on a small partition in the first place so its too late for that. Cause theres some PowerPC apps that I still would like to play.

appleguy123
Feb 27, 2011, 12:18 AM
Wait is there a way to install SNow Leopard on a small partition if you installed lIon fon your main from the Start. I didn;t know you could install lion on a small partition in the first place so its too late for that. Cause theres some PowerPC apps that I still would like to play.

I think that you can.
Do you know how to make a partition? It's really simple after you make it.

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 12:21 AM
The finder when your choosing what application to open a file with, looks much more improved.

iyttahmimsyafu
Feb 27, 2011, 12:29 AM
They also added emojis and if you hold a key you get variations of that letter like in iOS.

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 12:38 AM
****************4VDhL

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 12:50 AM
The OpenWith button is actually a part of quick look, and its supported for all sorts of different file types and etc. Like address book vCard files as you can see.

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 12:54 AM
Finder Search Thing

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 01:01 AM
Theres also classic view in Address Book.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR
Feb 27, 2011, 03:26 AM
Mac OS X Lion iChat supports Yahoo Messenger video and voice chat
****************4VDhL

what about Windows Live Messenger?? Please, tell me it's supported! I'm sick and tired of the MSN app that comes with Office... and I can't ditch @hotmail/@live because of many family/friends that are only on it...

Cougarcat
Feb 27, 2011, 03:35 AM
what about Windows Live Messenger?? Please, tell me it's supported! I'm sick and tired of the MSN app that comes with Office... and I can't ditch @hotmail/@live because of many family/friends that are only on it...

Look into Adium. It does everything (although no audio/video.)

ThE.MeSsEnGeR
Feb 27, 2011, 03:38 AM
Look into Adium. It does everything (although no audio/video.)
I didn't like it. I like iChat way better.

Cougarcat
Feb 27, 2011, 03:41 AM
Theres also classic view in Address Book.

Great, hopefully you'll be able to enable it in the final version with a terminal command at least. How do you get that debug menu?

PBF
Feb 27, 2011, 03:56 AM
I didn't like it. I like iChat way better.
Now that iChat supports Yahoo, I'm a step closer to ditching third-party IM clients altogether. I really hope iChat will support MSN soon. Can't wait to make it my default messenger.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR
Feb 27, 2011, 04:08 AM
the Command+G seems extremely useful, and I know I'll be using it almost daily. I still want ONE MORE THING from Finder, and it'll become perfect: a cut/copy & paste option! instead of just copy/paste.

Steve Ballmer
Feb 27, 2011, 04:10 AM
the Command+G seems extremely useful, and I know I'll be using it almost daily. I still want ONE MORE THING from Finder, and it'll become perfect: a cut/copy & paste option! instead of just copy/paste.
It seems Apple won't add cut and paste to Mac OS X because they want you to use spring-loaded folders instead.

baddj
Feb 27, 2011, 04:14 AM
It seems Apple won't add cut and paste to Mac OS X because they want you to use spring-loaded folders instead.

Well that's crap unless spring-loaded folders can move 1 file or a number of files to different folders in other locations, with out making new folders.

Steve Ballmer
Feb 27, 2011, 04:18 AM
Well that's crap unless spring-loaded folders can move 1 file or a number of files to different folders in other locations, with out making new folders.
Well, they can, that's the point. It seems Apple wants you to move files that way instead of using cut. I don't agree with the decision, but that's how it's been forever with the Mac OS.

theBigD23
Feb 27, 2011, 04:20 AM
I've also noticed that the Tracking Speed for the Magic Mouse has been greatly increased. Putting it to the max setting on a 27" monitor is actually useful and pretty fast. On SL, a utility to increase the speed was a must.

Yamcha
Feb 27, 2011, 04:21 AM
Nice, but TRIM support has been around for quite a while..

Night Spring
Feb 27, 2011, 04:22 AM
Well, they can, that's the point. It seems Apple wants you to move files that way instead of using cut. I don't agree with the decision, but that's how it's been forever with the Mac OS.

I didn't know about spring-loaded folders until I just saw your post and googled it. Question -- can you back out if you pick the wrong folder?

ThE.MeSsEnGeR
Feb 27, 2011, 04:26 AM
I didn't know about spring-loaded folders until I just saw your post and googled it. Question -- can you back out if you pick the wrong folder?

yeah just drag the file/folder you're moving, out of the folder that was opened in spring-load, and it'll close, but the set back is that you'll have to start all over again, if it's the case of a deep folder-within-folder. Thus creating the need for the CUT feature.

DoFoT9
Feb 27, 2011, 04:26 AM
Nice, but TRIM support has been around for quite a while..

not on osx ;) hahaha

im very glad its there, lets hope degradation isnt as bad!

ThE.MeSsEnGeR
Feb 27, 2011, 05:17 AM
any changes in Stickies.app?

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 05:18 AM
The view options menu looks a little bit different, and the quick look in the built-in choose file with finder app does a different animation within the window and doesn't pop out of the window rather it fills up the window instead. But it only does that when your within one of the media folders way down below on the left. Which reminds me the folders when your in the regular finder app in snow leopard that acted as folders for recent files, for files opened today, this week, this month, all movies, etc. Those folders are now gone.

petvas
Feb 27, 2011, 05:34 AM
I just installed Lion. Installation took about 40 minutes on my Mac Pro.

My first impressions

The system has so many new features, I don't know where to begin! By default running apps do not have the blue point under their icon. This can be activated in the Dock preferences.
Mission Control is actually great! I love the way it combines the dashboard, all apps running in full screen mode and spaces on the top section. The middle section shows all running apps with their open windows. Please note that the Dashboard can still be accessed by pressing F4. By pressing F10 I can still see all open windows for a specific application.

The plus icon on the top left of every window behaves exactly the same as in Leopard. It doesn't invoke the full screen mode. iCal, Safari and Mail have a full screen mode option under the View menu. Actually I prefer it like that.

Scrolling with inertia on is strange. I changed it to the Snow Leopard default setting. This isn't a touchscreen device, so scrolling should work differently.

The new gestures are really great, especially if you have a Magic Trackpad. I can use three fingers to swipe through the open apps. I can invoke Mission Control (with three or four fingers), show the open windows of a specific app (just like pressing F10) just by using gestures. Great stuff!!!
If you have a Magic Mouse then the gestures are not that many, but you can still change between all apps and open Mission Control.

Safari is for me the biggest feature in Lion! The full screen mode combined with the double tap to zoom feature (borrowed from the iOS Safari version), make it really great. Text scales very nicely and with the Magic Trackpad I can also zoom in and out. It feels like using Mobile Safari but it is much better :)
Safari is also much faster than before. I open Engadget.com and it finished downloading in 1-2 seconds. When I reverted back to my Snow Leopard installation I immediately show the difference on Safari and Chrome.
The new two finger swipe gesture in Safari is also great. You can go back and forth between the sites you have visited. Great!

Mail has also received an update. The new view works very well. There is also a new flagging system. Now flags can be set that have different colors. It is almost like using Categories in Outlook.

Addressbook is almost exactly the same as on the iPad.

Using the Launchpad is also nice..I never thought that I would like it.
The only thing that I found strange, is that the only way to create a folder is by dragging an app over another. (just like in iOS). There should be a + symbol that allows you that.

The system is of course not ready for prime time. I had a crash when closing Mail. I also installed Skype but it crashes every time I try to login.

The new Finder is also nice, but I don't really like the new icons.
Preview is great. It opens in its own window and it seems to work much better.

Overall I am really excited about this release. It seems that Apple is doing almost everything right and the Lion will roar!

petvas
Feb 27, 2011, 06:07 AM
I forgot to mention another new (small) feature. In the preferences there is a new pref pane called Internet Accounts. It allows you to configure your MobileMe, Gmail, Exchange, Yahoo or other accounts centrally. It automatically configures Mail, iCal and Addressbook with these accounts. This is another nice touch.
I am glad to see that Mac OS X receives so much love from Apple :)

DoFoT9
Feb 27, 2011, 06:23 AM
Using the Launchpad is also nice..I never thought that I would like it.

i do like launchpad, very iOS-y. however i think Spotlight is FAR superior (quicker) and more versatile then launchpad.

petvas
Feb 27, 2011, 06:29 AM
i do like launchpad, very iOS-y. however i think Spotlight is FAR superior (quicker) and more versatile then launchpad.

I agree. Spotlight is also much better now. It offers previews of almost anything it finds. Even calendar items are getting previewed and overall it seems really cool.

kepner
Feb 27, 2011, 07:22 AM
you can now quick look from within a stack (arrow up or click a stack and drag to select a file and press space)

Finally! Thanks for pointing that out. You don't have to click-and-drag though, just mouse over an item in a stack and press the space bar.

poobear
Feb 27, 2011, 07:23 AM
I had a crash when closing Mail. I also installed Skype but it crashes every time I try to login.
I hope you get it to work because it runs flawless over here.

petvas
Feb 27, 2011, 07:30 AM
I hope you get it to work because it runs flawless over here.

Skype? I just tried to run it a couple of times but it crashed. As it is only a test, I don't really care.

mrblack927
Feb 27, 2011, 07:50 AM
Lion also adds a new partition when its installed called "Recovery HD" which appears to be a lightweight OSX with some recovery tools in it. Options include "Restore from time machine backup", "Disk Utility", "Reinstall OSX", etc...

Looks like they are preparing to move away from using discs all together (big surprise) but it's neat that you'll be able to do a reinstall right from the harddrive.

For those of you running Lion, reboot, hold option, go to recovery.

ajvizzgamer101
Feb 27, 2011, 07:52 AM

Wow, I really like that feature.

petvas
Feb 27, 2011, 08:09 AM
How do you configure versioning and the behaviour of apps regarding saving their status? I didn't find anything.

antmarobel
Feb 27, 2011, 10:03 AM
Is it happening only with me but you cannot close iCal?...:mad:

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 10:16 AM
Restarting from a Network Utility in Lion is no longer supported. As you can see first pic shows the option in Snow Leopard, in expose only to prove that its snow leopard and the next focusing on my dock showing that I don't have LaunchPad. And in the last pic showing that there is no restarting from a network startup. O and by the way, yes I did figure out how to partition Snow Leopard after running Leopard. You can read my post about it in the other thread here in this forum.
****************kH1pV
My posts are #6 & #8.
And as for Mail Flagging, you can change the names of the Color Tags as if they were folders in the new Mail App.

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 10:18 AM
LOl, I might as well created this thread since half of all the posts are mine. Whats even funnier is that although my account was created 6 months ago, I only really started using it when AppleInsider posted a link in their article to the MAc OS 10.7 Lion Forum. And I've done like 50 or 60 posts in the past 2 days.

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 10:21 AM
Not sure about this one, but I think it may be a new alert. Hey its still a little thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think its new.

Hellhammer
Feb 27, 2011, 10:24 AM
Some kind of reboot system if the systems freezes

http://cl.ly/0E07103u0I311y1R402Z/Screen_Shot_2011-02-27_at_18.23.03.png

MikhailT
Feb 27, 2011, 10:25 AM
How do you configure versioning and the behaviour of apps regarding saving their status? I didn't find anything.

You can turn off the local snapshots via the Time Machine's Preferences. Other than that, you can't do much with it at the moment. This is supposed to be simple for everybody to use and Apple doesn't like giving people choices about that.

As for the apps, this is an optional, not mandatory for Lion. Granted, starting with Lion, most applications are going to start taking advantage of auto-save/resume. There's no reason not to.

funrush
Feb 27, 2011, 10:26 AM
Is it happening only with me but you cannot close iCal?...:mad:

Yes, same here. Restarts about 4 seconds after i close it.

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 10:39 AM
QuickTime has got a whole bunch of new sharing features, basically eliminates 3rd party apps for sharing video. And QuickTime gets its ow space using the Lion full screen app feature.

neko girl
Feb 27, 2011, 10:42 AM

This option is present in Snow Leopard Server, but not my MBA.

LoganT
Feb 27, 2011, 10:45 AM
Not sure about this one, but I think it may be a new alert. Hey its still a little thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think its new.

That's not new.

Sky Blue
Feb 27, 2011, 11:04 AM
Locking the screen brings up the screensaver as it did in 10.5. Finally.

rorschach
Feb 27, 2011, 11:06 AM
I just noticed that almost every reference to "AirPort" has been scrubbed and replaced with "Wi-Fi"...which makes sense given that not everyone is using an AirPort base station.

tac22
Feb 27, 2011, 11:06 AM
The Album Artwork Screensaver lets you select an album and start playing it right from the screensaver screen. Pretty Sweet

http://www.9to5mac.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/macdre-670x451.png

Cynicalone
Feb 27, 2011, 11:25 AM

Thank you!

Any idea how to delete folders?

neko girl
Feb 27, 2011, 11:27 AM
Is this when you have the Keychain icon in your menu bar and you click lock? It always bothered me that the screen would just blank out!

PBF
Feb 27, 2011, 11:50 AM

Is this when you have the Keychain icon in your menu bar and you click lock? It always bothered me that the screen would just blank out!
Am I the only one who preferred it the Snow Leopard way? Why would I want a screensaver if I'm locking the screen and about to leave the computer anyway? The display would go to sleep in x amount of time anyway. So what's the point of screensaver that's gonna be visible only temporarily and no-one would see it anyway? I think the Snow Leopard way made much more sense.

Sorry for too many 'anyways'. lol

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 27, 2011, 11:53 AM
- Quicktime Video capture supports ⌘+SHIFT+4 style cropping of capture area
- Quicktime adds back in all the copy&paste, insert clip features of Quicktime Pro
- Quicktime has lots more export options…
- Quicktime screencapture has an option to highlight your user clicks
- Quicktime now has crop video, rotate video, resize, trim

They call it AV Foundation:
http://developer.apple.com/technologies/mac/whats-new.html#av-foundation

AV Foundation is a replacement for the very large QuickTime 7.x.x framework, which has several hundred functions and allows some nice tricks.

tourada
Feb 27, 2011, 12:08 PM
Finder Search Thing

I had noticed autocorrection of text, but I had yet to notice this! Works great. For those that type in multiple languages, this feature is so much faster than having a virtual keyboard!!! Thanks for posting:)

jbg232
Feb 27, 2011, 12:08 PM
Attention to Moderators:

Please sticky this post.

I have considered making a list of all the Lion features (kind of like the 300 features of Leopard) but I feel that in the end there will be even more that no one person will be able to compile. This is a very good thread for all the features that can also be used as a "reference" thread for new threads documenting new features.

Cynicalone
Feb 27, 2011, 12:34 PM
Okay I figured out how to get rid of Folders in Launchpad. Just drag an app into an empty folder and then drag it back out.

I've noticed when changing names of new folders Launchpad crashes every time. After that first crash you can change the name just fine.

Lion is a bit buggy, but for a first public release I have seen worse.

nathanl1192
Feb 27, 2011, 12:35 PM
-New Dictionary popups.

Yeah, Quite preview, launch Photo Booth, wait till the camera initiates, then quit and open preview again...

Strange....

jbg232
Feb 27, 2011, 12:46 PM
Three things from 9to5mac (http://www.9to5mac.com/):

1. Time Machine can be used on an internal hard drive (http://www.9to5mac.com/54117/time-machine-can-be-used-without-an-external-hard-drive-in-lion)

2. Multi-User Remote Computing (http://www.9to5mac.com/54102/10-7-lion-allows-multi-user-remote-computing)

3. Play iTunes in iTunes Artwork Screen Saver! (http://www.9to5mac.com/54090/lion-lets-you-play-tunes-in-the-itunes-artwork-screen-saver)

nathanl1192
Feb 27, 2011, 12:48 PM
About this Mac has really improved, even showing a graphic of RAM slots!

Click "More info...." in About this mac to view.

appleguy123
Feb 27, 2011, 12:57 PM
any changes in Stickies.app?

NOt in the first release. I can even run the Stickies app from Lion in Snow Leopard, so they're exactly the same.

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 27, 2011, 12:57 PM

Not new @ all. In Leopard Client or Snow Leopard Client type:

man systemsetup

in the terminal, and you will see the "-setrestartfreeze" parameter. So even 10.5 has it.

:D

johnsmclean
Feb 27, 2011, 01:04 PM
I cannot see Airdrop. Does it have to be activated ?

mysticalos
Feb 27, 2011, 01:06 PM
can someone post an actual analysis of the openGL framework? supposed opengl 3.2 support (actual support now, not half baked cherry picked extentions running poorly on shading languaeg 1.20).

open opengl extention viewer (3rd party app) and see what lion really has under the hood.

Tom8
Feb 27, 2011, 01:08 PM
The Album Artwork Screensaver lets you select an album and start playing it right from the screensaver screen. Pretty Sweet

http://www.9to5mac.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/macdre-670x451.png

Edit: Found what i was looking for.

Delete me

cmChimera
Feb 27, 2011, 01:21 PM
Not new @ all. In Leopard Client or Snow Leopard Client type:

man systemsetup

in the terminal, and you will see the "-setrestartfreeze" parameter. So even 10.5 has it.

:D

I didn't know about it. I still consider it new, if I had to go to terminal to invoke it before and now it's a checkbox.

i do like the additional features to Screen SHaring.
What new features to screen sharing?

neko girl
Feb 27, 2011, 01:30 PM
What new features to screen sharing?
Check it out:
http://www.9to5mac.com/54102/10-7-lion-allows-multi-user-remote-computing

J the Ninja
Feb 27, 2011, 01:32 PM
About this Mac has really improved, even showing a graphic of RAM slots!

Click "More info...." in About this mac to view.

Oh, HELL YES! Going to make helping other people with upgrades SOO MUCH EASIER.

theBigD23
Feb 27, 2011, 01:51 PM
Check it out:

Great feature, but I wish more Screen Sharing features were added, like full screen mode.

Rivanov
Feb 27, 2011, 01:56 PM
Lion will be great!!
I have it installed on a original MacBook Air. 1.6Ghz Core 2 Duo. Works like a charm!

mamouneyya
Feb 27, 2011, 01:59 PM

So you cannot specify different settings for Battery/Power anymore?! Oh that's really bad..

http://grab.by/9bOL

Tailpike1153
Feb 27, 2011, 02:00 PM
Inspite of the "full screen" grumblings, looks like Lion will be a hit. I like what I see sofar. I'll be throwing it on the spare partition tonight during the Oscars.

jcostaman
Feb 27, 2011, 02:03 PM
So you cannot specify different settings for Battery/Power anymore?! Oh that's really bad..

He probably doesn't have a mac with a battery.

Sky Blue
Feb 27, 2011, 02:04 PM

likely he's on a desktop. It's there on my MBP.

jcostaman
There's also this blue underline and I have no idea what it does.

Blakeco123
someone wanted me to post a screenshot of dashboard the old way
but btw it look the same way as snow leopard dashboard does.

addicted44
Feb 27, 2011, 02:06 PM

The image might be from a Desktop. I think the Desktop Energy Saver preference pane is the same in SL too.

aberrero
Feb 27, 2011, 02:08 PM
I was setting up Disk Encryption and there is now an option to store the recovery key with apple, and retrieve it by answering 3 questions.

The option to do so is disabled though.

How do you take screenshots?

mamouneyya
Feb 27, 2011, 02:09 PM
He probably doesn't have a mac with a battery.

likely he's on a desktop. It's there on my MBP.

The image might be from a Desktop. I think the Desktop Energy Saver preference pane is the same in SL too.
Ah, I see.. makes sense.

Sky Blue
Feb 27, 2011, 02:10 PM

I think it's when something is out-corrected.

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 27, 2011, 02:11 PM
So you cannot specify different settings for Battery/Power anymore?! Oh that's really bad...

Hellhammer took the screenshot on a Mac Pro or Mac mini, which explains why he did not see the Battery/Power Adapter settings on these machines.

cmChimera
Feb 27, 2011, 02:12 PM
Check it out:

That's pretty awesome. Lion is looking pretty good right about now.

but btw it look the same way as snow leopard dashboard does So you can make Dashboard appear on top of the screen still?

PBF
Feb 27, 2011, 02:13 PM
That means you misspelled the word while typing, and the Auto-Correct feature fixed it for you. :)

Blakeco123
Feb 27, 2011, 02:18 PM
"
So you can make Dashboard appear on top of the screen still?

ya i made a post about it before but to recap: you go into system prefs then into expose settings then at the bottom you can untick the "make dashboard its own space" thing

Maclver
Feb 27, 2011, 02:19 PM
Thank you!

Any idea how to delete folders?

to my knowledge you have to take each item out and then the folder will disappear if there isn't anything in it...

jcostaman
Feb 27, 2011, 02:19 PM
The "Graphite" theme from prefs is gone. It used to make the Stoplights all grey. (I'm only pretty sure it was called graphite as I never used it.)

jcostaman
Feb 27, 2011, 02:20 PM
Also, we're still waiting on updates to activate features like native full screen in iPhoto. Right now it doesn't get it's own space.

PBF
Feb 27, 2011, 02:23 PM
to my knowledge you have to take each item out and then the folder will disappear if there isn't anything in it...
It won't. There's an additional step to make it disappear: once it's empty, drag any app into the folder, then drag it out of the folder. Only then does it disappear.

Maclver
Feb 27, 2011, 02:25 PM
It won't. There's an additional step to make it disappear: once it's empty, drag any app into folder, then drag it out. Only then does the folder disappears.

Thanks! I'm sure Apple will fine tune everything... to make it easier

dla.plexure.net
Feb 27, 2011, 02:26 PM
so great to read about all these amazing new features coming up in lion!!

something i was waiting for so long is the cmd+G, so good! but sad to read that there will be no cut/paste.
does anybody tried the "replace" option, when you drag'n'drop a folder on a place with a same named folder? right now it did really replace the folder. in windows it's kinda copying the delta of the two folders which is much better (i just switched to mac 2 years ago and i was once badly surprised with this difference.

what about the time machine? did it got any improvements? all in all i wish the time machine and time capsule would get some improvements (like choosing how to make backups and what should be the retention time and to make a backup of the backup (as time capsule hasn't any RAID features, i wish there could be a mirror function instead of just archiving to another time capsule or external disc).

looking forward to read about more features here.

David

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 27, 2011, 02:27 PM
The "Graphite" theme from prefs is gone. It used to make the Stoplights all grey. (I'm only pretty sure it was called graphite as I never used it.)

They need to redesign a lot of UI-Elements, so i think it will be available in the GM of Lion. The "Blue Aqua" theme is enough to test the new OS GUI.

PBF
Feb 27, 2011, 02:29 PM
Pretty sure more appearances will come in the future builds. Otherwise, it simply wouldn't be there as a greyed-out option, or as an option at all for that matter. I really would like the black theme (à la Apple website navigation menu and that leaked/fake pic from Gizmodo). :)

appleguy123
Feb 27, 2011, 02:29 PM

He could be on a desktop.

Maclver
Feb 27, 2011, 02:30 PM
Pretty sure more appearances will come in the future builds. Otherwise, it simply wouldn't be there as a greyed-out option, or as an option at all for that matter. I really would like the black theme (à la Apple website navigation menu and that leaked/fake pic from Gizmodo). :)

What was leaked on Gizmodo? (related to UI)

PBF
Feb 27, 2011, 02:33 PM
http://gizmodo.com/#!5768754/could-this-be-a-mac-os-x-lion-screenshot

MBX
Feb 27, 2011, 02:33 PM
but btw it look the same way as snow leopard dashboard does.

oh it's good to know you can have dashboard the "old" way ontop of the actual desktop. i like better

Maclver
Feb 27, 2011, 02:34 PM
http://gizmodo.com/#!5768754/could-this-be-a-mac-os-x-lion-screenshot

Not a big fan lol.. Though I kinda like the black opaque menu bar!

tac22
Feb 27, 2011, 02:35 PM

it was a screenshot of lion with the old flower desktop with a completely new UI. It was obviously fake, and even more so now that we have the first build of lion.

Maclver
Feb 27, 2011, 02:36 PM
it was a screenshot of lion with the old flower desktop with a completely new UI. It was obviously fake, and even more so now that we have the first build of lion.

You never know.. Apple might be holding out on the UI improvements until the GM because we (devs) don't need the UI of the main system to develop apps!

slb
Feb 27, 2011, 02:38 PM
O and just before I did my post before I discovered this as well. The right click menu thing now has an arrow if you highlight something and right click low enough down the screen, it puts an arrow underneath because theres not enough space to show all the menu functions cause you clicked so low down the screen, and as soon as you hover your mouse down it automatically starts scrolling down and pushing up the right click menu to show you the remaining functions..

OS X already does this for menus that aren't big enough to display on the screen.

jcostaman
You never know.. Apple might be holding out on the UI improvements until the GM because we (devs) don't need the UI of the main system to develop apps!

I would argue that the old background gives it away. I don't think that BG even ships with the OS

tac22

true but it simply looks fake (which i guess is just my opinion.)

but it doesn't even have the launchpad icon in the dock

Maclver
Feb 27, 2011, 02:40 PM

Im not saying its real.. all I'm saying is that Apple could have some fun UI goodies for us but won't disclose them till later..

PBF
Feb 27, 2011, 02:44 PM

I would argue that the old background gives it away. I don't think that BG even ships with the OS

The point is that we ARE getting more themes in the GM. Be it similar to Gizmodo's or the new navigation menu on Apple's website, more IS coming. Pretty sure. ;)

tac22
Feb 27, 2011, 02:47 PM
Im not saying its real.. all I'm saying is that Apple could have some fun UI goodies for us but won't disclose them till later..

okay i can agree with that. i'm just happy with all the UI refinement we have gotten already.

But another general facelift maybe some different color tones or customization would be welcome.

phpmaven
Feb 27, 2011, 02:54 PM

Norway
Feb 27, 2011, 03:05 PM
Don't know if this is mentioned yet, but at least i haven't seen a screenshot of it.. in full-screen mode you can still resize the content window, at least in Safari (haven't tried it elsewhere, but i guess it's the same)

appleguy123
Feb 27, 2011, 03:16 PM

Here it is in Lion on a laptop.

DoFoT9
Feb 27, 2011, 03:17 PM
I agree. Spotlight is also much better now. It offers previews of almost anything it finds. Even calendar items are getting previewed and overall it seems really cool.
totally! i really do like spotlight, however i think that they should have made the icons smaller (or at least give us an option to make them smaller). i would prefer to see more search results.

Skype? I just tried to run it a couple of times but it crashed. As it is only a test, I don't really care.
skype 5? its still in beta, as is osx. i wouldnt expect much success! :D

you cant really, its really only for when you logout, or abruptly reboot (go to the logout option and you will see the tickbox showing the "restore" feature that i am talking about).

from what ive seen (so far), mail and textedit preserve unsaved documents when quitting.

Check it out:
very cool, i am going to test this today at work! it is almost terminal app style!

i wonder if this works with ARD....

Hellhammer took the screenshot on a Mac Pro or Mac mini, which explains why he did not see the Battery/Power Adapter settings on these machines.

He could be on a desktop.

imac, actually ;)

EDIT: not actually on a lion computer atm, but i like how you can resize a window from any size (like in Windows), as opposed to the bottom left hand corner.

superstrikertwo
Feb 27, 2011, 03:22 PM
imac, actually ;)

Which is a desktop :P

DoFoT9
Feb 27, 2011, 03:30 PM
Which is a desktop :P

im glad you realised ;) hehe.

i am just showing my love and affection towards Mr. Hammer. <3

intempo808
Feb 27, 2011, 03:31 PM
Some windows animate when you hit the little green maximise button or whatever it is... Only happens on certain apps, like Safari and the App Store...

DoFoT9
Feb 27, 2011, 03:32 PM
Some windows animate when you hit the little green maximise button or whatever it is... Only happens on certain apps, like Safari and the App Store...

and when you open apps they now "zoom" in from the middle of the screen. anybody noticed that?

PurrBall
Feb 27, 2011, 03:33 PM
You can now delete files while the Trash is emptying! YES!

Also, the language on Authentication dialogs has changed:

Saladinos
Feb 27, 2011, 03:38 PM
the "graphite" theme from prefs is gone. It used to make the stoplights all grey. (i'm only pretty sure it was called graphite as i never used it.)

nooooooooo!!!!

hipauliee
Feb 27, 2011, 03:39 PM
"10.7 Hides the library folder in your home directory, so you dont' put it full of junk, this is because mobileme will shortly automatically sync your home directory if you choose…"

How do you disable this, permanently?? I access my home library frequently to remove unwanted application support files, remove .plist files when issues arise, etc.
I know the terminal command to 'unhide' folders,
but it still appears ghosted when I navigate to ~/library.

PurrBall
Feb 27, 2011, 03:39 PM
"10.7 Hides the library folder in your home directory, so you dont' put it full of junk, this is because mobileme will shortly automatically sync your home directory if you choose…"

How do you disable this, permanently?? I access my home library frequently to remove unwanted application support files, remove .plist files when issues arise, etc.
I know the terminal command to 'unhide' folders,
but it still appears ghosted when I navigate to ~/library.

I'd just drag it to the sidebar.

The Finder sidebar icons must be vector PDFs. They occasionally don't draw all elements of the image. Also attached is how they should appear.

Exponent
Feb 27, 2011, 03:42 PM
Can someone check if QuickTime VR is supported in Lion?

Try out these links and please respond if they display the panorama:
a) (more modern) Full spherical VR:
http://taphotographic.com/services/samples/San_Jose_Basilica_FullScreenPano.html

b) (old school) cylindrical VR:
http://taweb.com/issues/issue_001/frameset_IrelandVR.html

Thanks much!

DoFoT9
Feb 27, 2011, 03:43 PM
nooooooooo!!!!

im sure its because they havent added it yet to the beta, the option is there - but it is greyed out.

Exponent
Feb 27, 2011, 03:45 PM
Check it out:

Yeah, but does Lion's screen sharing pass sound to the remote machine? That's the one thing it's been lacking, especially w.r.t. Windows.

jamiek88
Feb 27, 2011, 03:45 PM
Got another one. You can now search for files and see whether they are supported by directly right clicking on them, and click App Store and see if that file u are trying to open is supported by anything in The Mac App Store.

That is awesome.

DoFoT9
Feb 27, 2011, 03:47 PM
Yeah, but does Lion's screen sharing pass sound to the remote machine? That's the one thing it's been lacking, especially w.r.t. Windows.

i highly doubt that it does. i will let you know in a few hours once i test it :)

jcostaman
Feb 27, 2011, 03:50 PM
and when you open apps they now "zoom" in from the middle of the screen. anybody noticed that?

I only notice that in Safari. Which, by the way, I'm not too fond of.

appleguy123
Feb 27, 2011, 03:52 PM
Can someone check if QuickTime VR is supported in Lion?

Try out these links and please respond if they display the panorama:
a) (more modern) Full spherical VR:
http://taphotographic.com/services/samples/San_Jose_Basilica_FullScreenPano.html

b) (old school) cylindrical VR:
http://taweb.com/issues/issue_001/frameset_IrelandVR.html

Thanks much!

A works, but I can't figure out b.

EDIT: A actually supports iOS pinch to zoom, which is awesome!

chowmein
Feb 27, 2011, 03:53 PM
iChat FINALLY lets you aggregate your buddy lists from all of your accounts into a single list.

axcurtis
Feb 27, 2011, 03:56 PM
This sounds like the final nail in the IE coffin, too.

PurrBall
Feb 27, 2011, 03:59 PM
Progress bar now in the print jobs window.

J the Ninja
Feb 27, 2011, 04:05 PM

Still no iOS/App Store style progress bars?

MattInOz
Feb 27, 2011, 04:07 PM
Check it out:

That looks so good. and so many questions.

So when you share a virtual remote screen does it set the dimension to that of the screen your on or the same as the remote machine would normally have?

Can you have multiple users locally as well. I wonder if you had a MacPro with multiple monitors could each monitor log in as a new user?

Oh also wonder if iPad will get the ability to log in to a remote mac.

hipauliee
Feb 27, 2011, 04:07 PM
I'd just drag it to the sidebar.

The Finder sidebar icons must be vector PDFs. They occasionally don't draw all elements of the image. Also attached is how they should appear.

I suppose that shall work for now.
Hopefully they decide to change this.
Thanks for the idea!

Ingo1512
Feb 27, 2011, 04:08 PM
I've also noticed that the buttons have become more square-ish instead of rounded. Nice, I think...

jbg232
Feb 27, 2011, 04:08 PM

That's pretty nice, I frequently print 40 page documents.

theBigD23
Feb 27, 2011, 04:11 PM
EDIT: mistake... doesn't seem to happen all of the time.

jcostaman
Feb 27, 2011, 04:13 PM
Downloading an App from the Mac App Store now opens LaunchPad and shows the app downloading there instead of the dock. I tried attaching a picture but the upload kept failing. Sorry.

ReiterMarkus
Feb 27, 2011, 04:13 PM

That explains why I had a different background in space 3. I copied my preferences folder from the other partition and there was my background, but not in space 3.

PurrBall
Feb 27, 2011, 04:19 PM
Still no iOS/App Store style progress bars?

Only in the Dock/Launchpad. "New" Aqua everywhere else- it looks very nice.

PurrBall
Feb 27, 2011, 04:21 PM
Can you have multiple users locally as well. I wonder if you had a MacPro with multiple monitors could each monitor log in as a new user?

Probably if you do a full-screen VNC session to localhost on the other monitor. Going to try this right now.

Exponent
Feb 27, 2011, 04:23 PM
A works, but I can't figure out b.

EDIT: A actually supports iOS pinch to zoom, which is awesome!

Thanks so much for checking this out!

Sorry, my bad on "b". (When I wrote the html in 1999, I was paranoid about someone just bookmarking the page without the user seeing the whole tour.)

Can you try out this for "old-school" QuickTime VR? (It's just the movie file, without any HTML wrapper.)

http://taweb.com/content/IrelandVR/panos/Trinity_Library_Top.small.mov

Intell
Feb 27, 2011, 04:27 PM
iChat FINALLY lets you aggregate your buddy lists from all of your accounts into a single list.

Leopard and Snow Leopard have that as well.

ReiterMarkus
Feb 27, 2011, 04:28 PM
I made a partition for Lion and can see all other partitions, but when in Snow Leopard I can't see the Lion partition.

appleguy123
Feb 27, 2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks so much for checking this out!

Sorry, my bad on "b". (When I wrote the html in 1999, I was paranoid about someone just bookmarking the page without the user seeing the whole tour.)

Can you try out this for "old-school" QuickTime VR? (It's just the movie file, without any HTML wrapper.)

http://taweb.com/content/IrelandVR/panos/Trinity_Library_Top.small.mov

IT works, but it's in a really small window. Also no pinch to zoom support.

ajvizzgamer101
Feb 27, 2011, 04:36 PM

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I can get rid of Chax now.

Exponent
Feb 27, 2011, 04:37 PM
IT works, but it's in a really small window. Also no pinch to zoom support.

Thanks much, and I'm happy QTVR is back in mainstream QuickTime!

Regarding that "really small window" - would you believe that was a bandwidth buster back in 1999? I had to create all kinds of Javascript code to forward-cache "future" QuickTime files in the background, while the user was reading the text (or enjoying the VR) for the part of the tour they were looking at.

(I probably should have filed some sort of a patent on that... I could have ended up with my own island in the tropics by now...)

jbg232
Feb 27, 2011, 04:43 PM
@Exponent - You've been a member since 2002 and have less than 100 posts? I don't think I've ever seen a ratio like that before. You should have an honorary avatar for being here that long, like >500 posts or member >5 years.

mamouneyya
Feb 27, 2011, 04:45 PM
Here it is in Lion on a laptop.
Thanks for sharing!

mamouneyya
Feb 27, 2011, 04:46 PM
Anyone can check for me if an Arabic interface and/or any RTL enhancement was added? From Sys. Pref. try to make the Arabic as the first language in the list, restart and then tell me if the interface got translated. I'll appreciate it!

Exponent
Feb 27, 2011, 04:52 PM
@Exponent - You've been a member since 2002 and have less than 100 posts? I don't think I've ever seen a ratio like that before. You should have an honorary avatar for being here that long, like >500 posts or member >5 years.

Thanks, but I'm in the Silicon Valley, and my life is very, VERY busy. If I'm not working to create some of this ridiculous technology (mostly on the semiconductor side), I'm desperately trying to look out for my family and my health!

The real-world: the resolution, 3-D, and graphic effects are AWESOME. BOOM!

antmarobel
Feb 27, 2011, 04:53 PM
I don't know...I think I'm not exaggerating but I have the impression that my mkv movies are running with a much, much better resolution here. My iMac is a 27", so LED. But really the resolution seems to be improved somehow...;)

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 27, 2011, 04:54 PM

Another "Print Jobs" feature of Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion":

http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyimages/310_999/504.gif

appleguy123
Feb 27, 2011, 05:03 PM
Anyone can check for me if an Arabic interface and/or any RTL enhancement was added? From Sys. Pref. try to make the Arabic as the first language in the list, restart and then tell me if the interface got translated. I'll appreciate it!

It looks like this. I'm not sure what you mean completely, so I'll just attach a screen shot.
http://i54.tinypic.com/sm4j8m.png

Steffen.
Feb 27, 2011, 05:03 PM
HomeSync? Homefolder sync on the way :)

Cougarcat
Feb 27, 2011, 05:04 PM

Languages & Text identical to SL. Adding Arabic to the top doesn't do anything.
Edit: Never mind, I'm seeing what appleguy got.

PurrBall
Feb 27, 2011, 05:05 PM

It does work, but I'm having issues with the VNC client freezing no matter which one I use. Somewhat frustrating.

sine-nomine
Feb 27, 2011, 05:08 PM
I'm curious - does the search bar in a Finder window now do a filter-as-you-type kind of thing, as in iTunes, or is it the same old behavior?

appleguy123
Feb 27, 2011, 05:11 PM
Requests probably belong in the "I have Lion- Ask Me Questions' thread. This is for little features that people find.

PurrBall
Feb 27, 2011, 05:15 PM

If you add an Apple ID to your account through Users in System Preferences, does it work?
--

The Displays menu is no longer of the old displays!

maniac20
Feb 27, 2011, 05:20 PM
Windows bootcamp is not accessible at the boot screen.

Expose seems to be activated through gesture. If you two finger swipe up on an icon on the dock you can expose that app. Like if you had multiple windows for safari and then you swipe up with two fingers on the icon then it should expose it.

BTW Im on a Macbook4,1

PurrBall
Feb 27, 2011, 05:21 PM
Windows bootcamp is not accessible at the boot screen.

Mine is.

Steffen.
Feb 27, 2011, 05:22 PM
If you add an Apple ID to your account through Users in System Preferences, does it work?
Don´t know. I got no MobileMe Account and the Apple ID doesn´t work.
@Windows BootCamp Partition: Mine is also still available.

Found something useful for myself. I can finally use the brightness buttons on my external alu-keyboard to regulate the display brightness of my macbook pro. Thank godness! This never worked when my primary monitor was plugged in in my macbook.

Starefossen
Feb 27, 2011, 05:26 PM
Ok, attached to this post is:

-New address book look
-Calculator now supports a number of different converting
-An error message constantly popping up
-When in fullscreen mode you quit by moving your mouse up and reveal the status bar and an icon to quit fullscreen
-The mentioned quick look in stack by navigating using arrows and pressing space

Jonald
Feb 27, 2011, 05:27 PM
When using dual monitors and you want to full screen an app, the primary monitor will get the app full screen, and the secondary monitor will get a grey frabric-y texture (screenshot'd), I've discovered no way to make the secondary monitor useful in any way when in full screen mode. EDIT: Not sure where that screenshot went, here's a direct link to it http://cl.ly/3K3k3W2P0J2B2T450o3K

Also spaces still isn't monitor independent (both monitors are treated as a single space instead of being able to switch to different spaces on each monitor)

Preview now has a magnifying loupe which I'm fairly sure is not present in 10.6.

maniac20
Feb 27, 2011, 05:29 PM
For those with working windows partition, are you also using snow leopard? I have snow leopard,lion and a windows partition. The windows partition is there but I can't boot to it

Starefossen
Feb 27, 2011, 05:29 PM
Attached to this post is:

- iCall calendars list popup (similar to those found on the iPad)
- iCall day view
- iCall year view
- Textedit.app settings 1
- Textedit.app settings 2

Also worth noticing:

- Some applications quit when they have no windows and enter background state (preview, grab)
- Logout (as in logging out of our account, not fast user switching or sleep mode) preserves running programs and they will resume when you log in back again.
- Applications like textedit saves what you have written in an unsaved document, it will not warn you about it when quitting the application and the unsaved text will be present when you run the application next time.

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 05:34 PM
Heres the animation, screenshot for screenshot.

Starefossen
Feb 27, 2011, 05:41 PM

- New System Preferences Privacy Settings Tab
- Photobooth library (how it looks in quick look)
- New Inspector in Safari
- New Privacy Settings in Safari

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 05:44 PM
You can close one side of the Address Book App.

funrush
Feb 27, 2011, 05:45 PM

inkswamp
Feb 27, 2011, 05:50 PM
You mean all those sites that reference each other and post the same articles all the time. Yeah.

You mean all those sites with writers that know more than this but wouldn't dream of publishing it in fear of getting permanently stricken from Apple's special event invite list?

Make no mistake, most of those writers know this stuff already (and more) but have to play by rules that don't apply to posters at MacRumors.

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 05:52 PM
Ok, attached to this post is:

-New address book look
-Calculator now supports a number of different converting
-An error message constantly popping up
-When in fullscreen mode you quit by moving your mouse up and reveal the status bar and an icon to quit fullscreen
-The mentioned quick look in stack by navigating using arrows and pressing space

I just typed in the exact menu command and all apps enter full screen using command-f using built-in full screen mode in lion, and even apps that have full screen but not lion full screen, like chrome and iPhoto. I'm surprised Apple didn;t make this enabled by default in the first place.

Starefossen
Feb 27, 2011, 05:54 PM

-Address book support enhanced printing of addresses.
-It support several layouts, including envelope label, mailinglist, list, pocket address book
-New settings for address book includes account setup (export to google and yahoo) as well as address book contacts template.
-iCall enhance printing with a variety of new options
-Enhanced developers menue in safari with a new option "open page with" which has no further options.

Starefossen
Feb 27, 2011, 05:58 PM
And as I was about to turn off my computer for the night:

(sorry for the norwegian text but the option says "open windows again on next login")

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 05:59 PM
****************hiaaL

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 27, 2011, 06:06 PM
****************hiaaL

More info:
https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WebKit2

:cool:

CarsonGallo
Feb 27, 2011, 06:11 PM

A write from 9to5 mac told me that, that goes all the way back to MAc OS 9.

hobo.hopkins
Feb 27, 2011, 06:28 PM
I'm not positive that this is a new feature, but I noticed that when Automator recognises that it has encountered a problem, it alerts the user and prompts whether it should continue running or force-crash. Although I've only seen this with automator, I would suspect that any application would utilise the concept.

http://i52.tinypic.com/4skxg0.png

theBigD23
Feb 27, 2011, 06:59 PM
It doesn't look like there is a way to put Folders at the top like Windows. That's the one thing I really miss from Windows.

Slurpy2k8
Feb 27, 2011, 07:01 PM
I'm not positive that this is a new feature, but I noticed that when Automator recognises that it has encountered a problem, it alerts the user and prompts whether it should continue running or force-crash. Although I've only seen this with automator, I would suspect that any application would utilise the concept.

Wow.. 1st time I ever see a 'crash button', to voluntarily click. Hilarious.

baddj
Feb 27, 2011, 07:05 PM
It doesn't look like there is a way to put Folders at the top like Windows. That's the one thing I really miss from Windows.

Same, i have submitted that idea to apple.com/feedback :) really hope they add it as an option.

abhimat.gautam
Feb 27, 2011, 07:10 PM
Check it out:

I think I’ve been able to do that for a long time with at least Snow Leopard. The interface is new, but accessing a file through Finder while somebody else is logged in is not new.

PurrBall
Feb 27, 2011, 07:15 PM
You can now permanently disable flash in Photo Booth (rather than using modifier keys)!

DoFoT9
Feb 27, 2011, 07:30 PM
And as I was about to turn off my computer for the night:

(sorry for the norwegian text but the option says "open windows again on next login")

yup, thats the "resume" feature that apple has implemented. will reopen all the windows the same as pre-reboot. kinda cool :)

theBigD23
Feb 27, 2011, 07:38 PM
In Mail, the option to view the sidebar with Small Icons has been removed. For me, the icons are a little too big. I was hoping to be able to reduce their size.

PurrBall
Feb 27, 2011, 07:40 PM
In Mail, the option to view the sidebar with Small Icons has been removed. For me, the icons are a little too big. I was hoping to be able to reduce their size.

System prefs > Appearance > Sidebar icon size

antmarobel
Feb 27, 2011, 07:51 PM
Has someone tried to download any music through 4Shared using Safari????...:confused:

hipauliee
Feb 27, 2011, 08:06 PM
You can now permanently disable flash in Photo Booth (rather than using modifier keys)!

YES! Thanks for posting this, I have always wanted this as a feature :D

mrblack927
Feb 27, 2011, 08:12 PM

That's not actually an Automator feature. Its an OS feature in Lion, possibly just for the beta (if it's part of a "debug mode"). Any time any app has a fatal exception, it lets you continue or let the app crash. Letting it crash is actually usually the better option since you need to restart the app anyway.

richard.mac
Feb 27, 2011, 08:19 PM
if you quit an app with unsaved text the app reopens with the text still there!! pretty cool!

maybe a part of the new resume or versions feature not sure (only tested with Text Edit and a Mail message). if someone can workout how to temp. disable this, that would be great as well. don't know if this is an obvious feature to everyone and cant see if its been mentioned.

also wish that spaces was a grid layout with >2 spaces instead of a chain:( pointless to feature request/bug report this? would Apple listen? if anyone supports this request it.

celticpride678
Feb 27, 2011, 08:32 PM
Customize which preference pans are shown in System Preferences by going to View>Customize.

Sky Blue
Feb 27, 2011, 08:35 PM
I think I’ve been able to do that for a long time with at least Snow Leopard. The interface is new, but accessing a file through Finder while somebody else is logged in is not new.

how do you do it in Snow Leopard?

clancemasterj
Feb 27, 2011, 09:07 PM
I found a menu item under View called "Switch to Virtual Display" in Screen Sharing. It's greyed out so I couldn't try it. I may have to connect to another Mac running Lion. I wonder what it does???

DoFoT9
Feb 27, 2011, 09:13 PM
I found a menu item under View called "Switch to Virtual Display" in Screen Sharing. It's greyed out so I couldn't try it. I may have to connect to another Mac running Lion. I wonder what it does???

im fairly sure that will just make the VNC connection "full screen" :)

abhimat.gautam
Feb 27, 2011, 09:25 PM
how do you do it in Snow Leopard?

Oh sorry, I thought the article only meant accessing files, through "Connect As" on a shared computer in Finder. I didn’t realize it also meant screen sharing with the other account while somebody else is logged in. Nifty.

AppleTech22
Feb 27, 2011, 09:27 PM
Just wondering if any of you with the dev version of Lion would care showing all of the new wallpapers and put them up as a screenshot or download.:confused:

sammich
Feb 27, 2011, 09:27 PM
if you quit an app with unsaved text the app reopens with the text still there!! pretty cool!

maybe a part of the new resume or versions feature not sure (only tested with Text Edit and a Mail message). if someone can workout how to temp. disable this, that would be great as well. don't know if this is an obvious feature to everyone and cant see if its been mentioned.

also wish that spaces was a grid layout with >2 spaces instead of a chain:( pointless to feature request/bug report this? would Apple listen? if anyone supports this request it.

That would be AutoSave.

Cubert
Feb 27, 2011, 09:33 PM
Restarting from a Network Utility in Lion is no longer supported. As you can see first pic shows the option in Snow Leopard, in expose only to prove that its snow leopard and the next focusing on my dock showing that I don't have LaunchPad. And in the last pic showing that there is no restarting from a network startup. O and by the way, yes I did figure out how to partition Snow Leopard after running Leopard. You can read my post about it in the other thread here in this forum.
****************kH1pV
My posts are #6 & #8.
And as for Mail Flagging, you can change the names of the Color Tags as if they were folders in the new Mail App.

My guess (hope) is that the start from a network will be added back with a later beta.

Cubert
Feb 27, 2011, 09:35 PM

Not new.